Pond Boss
Posted By: DonoBBD Common shiner. - 10/26/15 02:06 PM
Hey folks how big can a common shiner get in size? The boy caught two on the weekend on a half ounce jig with a worm that was all of 7"s and 1.5" in diameter. Most impressive shiners I have ever seen.

I didn't know that they grew this big.

Next time I will get pictures. This I guess is why we have so many little common shiners in our pond. Hope the emerald shiners get this big and populate as well.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: 3z3k3l Re: Common shiner. - 10/26/15 09:54 PM
I believe over 12 inches...check this thread.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=19266
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Common shiner. - 10/26/15 11:42 PM
We routinely caught them when I was a kid in the 6 to 8 inch range. For kids fishing a small creek, they and the creek chubs were a blast!
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Common shiner. - 10/27/15 01:54 AM
Maximum length common shiner reported by Fishes of Ohio was 8.2 in. Largest common shiner reported in Freshwater Fishes of Canada was 7.9" from Lk. Bernard Que.

Common shiners are different that golden shiners. The link to PB forum discussion about 12" long shiner was for a golden shiner.

Maximum length for emerald shiner in Fishes of OH was 3.9" and Fishes of Canada 4"(103mm). In a PhD dissertation from Univ of MI Flittner (1964) reported maximum size for emerald was 5.0". Maximum size in MS is thought to be 3.7"(94mm).
© Pond Boss Forum