Pond Boss
Posted By: Broken String Whos cutting my catails down - 09/04/15 12:11 PM
I have a small pond about 1/2 acre. Had it dug 6 years ago. To this day its one of the best investments my wife & I have done. I've been noticing that I have some floating cattails in the pond. Not many but noticable. The cattails appear to have been pulled from the bottom and the bulbs are missing. I've not seen any muskrats and we have some rather large Koi (couple) in the pond as well as perch, walleye, bluegills & bass. Any idea what might be eating the cattail bulbs ? Thanks
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Whos cutting my catails down - 09/04/15 12:15 PM
Muskrats are the only critter I know that will eat the bulbs. They love them.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: RER Re: Whos cutting my catails down - 09/04/15 12:17 PM
I have seen the koi in my pond uproot cattails by nosing around the root system. I Had a small patch of them once, they are no more.....

But it could be totally somthing else too.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Whos cutting my catails down - 09/04/15 01:10 PM
Look for some "slides" on the shore, near the cattails. Muskrat love them and may just be visiting. Look for any den holes about 6" to a foot below the surface also....especially on your dam. Rats can do a LOT of damage to the shore line, and breach a dam.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Whos cutting my catails down - 09/04/15 06:30 PM
Skrats is my guess, too. See it every late Summer and Fall, when cattails are mature. Look for dens, set some traps, you DO NOT want a resident colony to become established. Traps work well...many posts on forum regarding them - many expert trappers here to help, too. I advise getting them now and don't allow them time to multiply.

You can post a CL ad and get some responses - offer a free place to trap. I had several responses to my ad, but my pond is so steep and inaccessible they all passed at the opportunity to trap for free. Your pond may be a different scenario. Be sure to interview trappers and make sure you feel good about your decision if you go this route. In my experience there are lots of good guys trapping because they enjoy it and the additional $ pelts can bring - some are a little rough around the edges. You need to be confident the guy you allow access to your land is trustworthy.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Whos cutting my catails down - 09/04/15 07:07 PM
Sit down by the pond, quietly, during the evening about an hour before dark. If it's rats, they will often become active during this time. If your pond is in an acceptable setting, you might take a .22 with you.

Be careful! If there are houses, neighbors, kids, dogs, chicken coops, or fish hatcheries raising Gizzard Shad anywhere in the vicinity, do not shoot at the water. Some will use a shotgun to try and minimize risk. Richochets off water are a serious matter not to be taken lightly.

If there is the slightest doubt do not shoot, but trap instead.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Whos cutting my catails down - 09/04/15 07:40 PM
If you have an apple try near by they will go for them later into the season when there is not much else to eat. You can pick them off with a .22 easy then out of the water.

Around the bank look for what I would call a cow path about in a foot of water about a foot from shore. You will be able to follow this path right to their den in the bank.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: esshup Re: Whos cutting my catails down - 09/04/15 07:51 PM
As much as I like to shoot, I prefer using conibear 110's or similar traps because they will work when I'm not at the pond.
Posted By: RAH Re: Whos cutting my catails down - 09/04/15 08:32 PM
My experience is that there is rarely just one muskrat. You might consider contacting a local trapper to help during the trapping season. The rats are a perennial problem for me, and my retired neighbor is happy to have a place close by to trap.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Whos cutting my catails down - 09/04/15 08:43 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
As much as I like to shoot, I prefer using conibear 110's or similar traps because they will work when I'm not at the pond.

Absolutely true, and no chance of ricochets. I tell myself that shooting requires less work on my part than trapping, but if I were to be honest it's actually just a chance for me to sit, watch, contemplate and relax for a spell. If I choose to trap instead of shoot, I need to find additional work to do while the trap is in play! grin
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Whos cutting my catails down - 09/05/15 02:43 AM
When in doubt don't shoot? Ugh, now you tell me!
© Pond Boss Forum