Pond Boss
Posted By: readonly Back of the dam.... - 05/09/15 03:11 AM
They just finished a small timber cut on the place I grew up back home. We have a small two acre pond that's close to 40 years old. The back of the dam was never kept clear so was covered with trees.

I asked the forester if the logger could get them. When I talked to him last night he said they cleared it all the way off which I am appreciative of because the trees were not valuable I'm sure it was a PIA.

Now what should I put on the back of the dam going forward? Bush hogging it is not feasible due to the grade and surrounding terrain (steep and forested). In fact, the loggers could operate their skidder down there, they cabled the trees out.

I am thinking of killing off any weeds at the end of summer and planting a wildlife mix....let the deer keep it clean. Good idea?
Posted By: esshup Re: Back of the dam.... - 05/09/15 01:08 PM
Wildlife mix, clover, etc., all are good.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Back of the dam.... - 05/09/15 01:22 PM
Yep, I love the clovers, (3 different clovers I have growing). I walked up on an older doe and a smaller doe yesterday morning, both feeding on the clovers next to the waters edge. Now how cool was that smile

Tracy
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Back of the dam.... - 05/09/15 04:29 PM
The trees weren't so big that they damaged the integrity of the dam (when removed) were they?
Did they cut them down and leave a stump or pull them out?
I think the clover & deer idea is a good one, too...
Posted By: readonly Re: Back of the dam.... - 05/09/15 08:11 PM

I haven't seen it yet but I think the dam is Ok. They cut them flush.

This is a couple of before pics from last fall...the back being the left side.

I'll have to clear the junk off the face of the dam.
Posted By: readonly Re: Back of the dam.... - 05/16/15 03:40 AM
Here's the after pics. I am very pleased and even a little surprised they were willing to do it....doesn't look easy for the amount of pulp they pulled out. I sewed it over with imperial no-plow and hope it takes.

© Pond Boss Forum