Pond Boss
Posted By: Zep Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/08/15 06:04 PM
I guess we still need it.....
but is the forecast ever going to not have rain in it?
How 'bout mixing in a few blue sky sunny days!

All of my ponds are over flowing. It's been a long time coming.
Posted By: stickem' Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/08/15 06:57 PM
...I'm trying to build a dock right now...that's about how my luck runs...
Posted By: Zep Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/08/15 07:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
All of my ponds are over flowing.
It's been a long time coming.

Dave I can't believe my eyes!
I am sooo happy for you.
I know the drought was very tough for you.
Sometime show some pictures of the new full tub.

ps: I had to postpone my Overton's fish delivery
this week....just too muddy. We had a fish truck
stuck in the mud in 2012...didnt want to take any chances.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/08/15 07:29 PM
Mark, I could hear DD1 yelling from here. It was nice to see some rain hit west of I35 for a change.

Doesn't Lake Tawakoni look nice with all the water?
Posted By: Shorty Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/08/15 07:48 PM
I want to know if TJ's pond floated away the other night here. grin

Area lakes south and west of Lincoln rose between 7 and 13 ft overnight Wednesday into Thursday, we had reports of 6" to 12" of rain on the south side of town. eek
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/08/15 07:54 PM
Shorty, y'all did get hammered. I saw it on the news, and it looked bad from here.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/08/15 08:11 PM
We have more rain in the forecast for tomorrow night, "chance of precipitation near 100 percent". eek

I'm located north of Lincoln, we had measly 3.4" rain the other night.

A few pictures...
http://journalstar.com/gallery/news/phot...f425ec56.html#0

Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/08/15 09:13 PM
I'm 3 miles E of Lincoln and got 6.75"

I'm now at full pool smile

Awful worried though about the folks in Lincoln and surrounding towns with flooded basements, creeks over their banks and more rain and storms tomorrow.

Not a good outlook!
Posted By: JKB Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/09/15 01:07 AM
Rain is moving in tonight for the next 4 days, but the amounts look reasonable. The past few springs we've had Noah (ark guy) on speed dial laugh You know the saying, "April Showers bring May Flowers". April was a dud!

Mark, this is the first time in about 15 years that I've seen full pool. Last summer I got down to about 1/4 acre or less of muddy water and it couldn't have been over 3 or 4 ft deep. Now, I'm figuring it's between 1.3 to 1.5 acres or a little more. I can no longer walk around it or even take a pic of the whole thing.

I'm sure I lost most of the fish. I have 2 cats left. I see an occasional bass and some pretty nice BG and GSF come to feed. But, there aren't very many of them left. I found a lot of 1 inch BG below the dam where they had come through the drain pipe. That surprised and encouraged me. Also a lot of newly stocked FHM down there. Al is going to bring me some of his pedigreed, certified, and force fed BG.

How to restock after partial kills kinda confounds me. Especially when there are unknowns on what is left.

My formerly 1/10 acre "forage" pond of BG and GSF is now about 1/3 acre. It's grown enough that I'm having trouble trapping. I tossed in 50 small CC's the other day. My Grandson wanted them and I don't want them in the bigger pond. Grandma Charlene would have kicked my butt if she found out that I had said no to him.

I actually have 9 "ponds" on the place. Due to the sandy/rocky soils, they all leak. I can actually only count on 3 of them to hold water for very long.

I have a spring fed creek that originates on a neighbors land. The springs dried up about 5 or 6 years ago. I believe they have now been recharged.

It's a different world and the rains just keep on coming. It's kinda neat to have no place left to put water.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/09/15 01:30 PM
Dave, I am happy for you, it's been a bad drought for some time now, but it's been a wet one forsure this spring. smile

Tracy
Dave send me some water.... I'm still about 32" from pool .... Rain goes all around.... I don't know...
Posted By: edit7279 Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/09/15 03:23 PM
Here we go again...

Posted By: rmedgar Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/09/15 04:34 PM
Happy for you, Gov...
This is the spillway on my duck pond right now. My .3 acre front pond is about 2-3" from going over the dam.

Wow Chris
That's a lot of water running in the spillway, good flushing . Hopefully I will get some of that next week
Pat,

The pond should be dry this time of year. There is a 15" pipe that is running full bore under the dam as well as the spillway draining water.
Dangit man looks good though! Nice to see water again
Pat, it looks like you ought to be getting a bunch of this.
Posted By: edit7279 Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/09/15 10:21 PM
Wow Chris. I wonder what mine is looking like since we're pretty close to each other.
Pat, it looks like you ought to be getting a bunch of this.

Dave it missed us again, maybe this next week I'll get some of this that they are talking about
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/10/15 02:03 PM
Pat, has all this rain been going north of you?
Posted By: Tbar Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/10/15 02:51 PM
3" and counting in town.....
Posted By: Zep Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/10/15 03:12 PM
Tbar I woke up to tornado sirens this morning in Lewisville. Went out on front porch to see a lot of very dark low clouds moving quickly thru. Looked ominous, but luckily no tornado. Been raining ever since.
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot

Yup unfortunately, maybe soon
Posted By: Cisco Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/10/15 04:47 PM
Well I got between 6 and 8 inches at my place. My big pond went from 1 1/2 feet low to over the spillway in about 5 hours. I'll take it! Had a tornado just east of my place in Cisco. A little too close for comfort but I will take the rain.
I saw the twister on TV and wondered about you.
Wow, great news for you guys! A good recharge of the aquifers for agriculture, and a nice pond flushing for many of you. Now lets cross our fingers for Pat and that it doesn't all come at once.
Fill it up! I'm good with it all at once. Thanks for the rain wishes guys, that should make it happen!
Posted By: JKB Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/12/15 12:06 AM
It was miserable and raining all day.
Posted By: Zep Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/12/15 12:19 AM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot

Al have you seen this?

Posted By: esshup Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/12/15 01:12 AM
Maintenance guys will have fun with that.

I can see water getting into the differentials, & transmission thru the vent tube, and maybe the wheel hubs.

Engine oil should be hot enough so that the water is boiled out pretty quickly.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/12/15 01:42 AM
Mark, I hadn't seen that. I couldn't have done that, because the Dear Chief letters would have gone on for months.
A neighbor has one of the electronic weather stations. 16 inches of rain in the last 5 days. Lots of flooding, roads closed and washed out.
Posted By: Zep Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/14/15 06:17 PM
oh my....just checked the latest 10 day forecast

(I have a feeling we will go straight from rain into hot summer)

Posted By: anthropic Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/14/15 07:01 PM
AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH! Still waiting to begin dam after more than three months 'cause it's too dang wet!!! mad
Posted By: Zep Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/14/15 08:36 PM
anthropic....i hear ya

rain/mud is holding up carpet install, Overton's Fish Delivery,
mowing, gravel road work, and other assorted items crazy

very muddy

Posted By: Tbar Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/15/15 12:23 AM
This is the rainfall on my place compared to the 10 year average.

Posted By: edit7279 Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/15/15 01:36 AM
Got me beat.

Where did you guys find that? On my place the line would be almost vertical.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/15/15 11:04 AM
With the yr round wildlife food plotting I do, I have come to understand how farmers can lose crops or lose the farm. Wet years like this one does not allow getting into the fields for spring planting and dry yr's where the plants dry up from lack of rain (the past few yr;s of drought). So now I fully understand why everyone is not a farmer. And being raised on a farm in Oklahoma, where I had to feed everyday and take care of the farm animals, I own no farm animals today. But I love being out there with the deer and the birds and the fishes smile

Tracy
Farming is tough. Right now, Texas farmers can't get into the fields to plant. And timing, due to a lot of factors, is critical.
Posted By: Tbar Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/15/15 11:28 AM
We lost this cutting of hay. Its so tall/heavy....its laying over and by the time it drys out(whenever that happens) it will be sour and too tough. frown

Where did you guys find that? On my place the line would be almost vertical.

Farmlogs.com
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/15/15 11:43 AM
Two years ago, we endured a minor drought. Minor when compared to some who have suffered for years. The grass died and my business dried up right along with it. I promised myself that I would never complain about too much rain ever again, if we could just get some precipitation.

And I have kept that promise. Let er' rain.
Posted By: esshup Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 05/15/15 02:44 PM

21% drier than normal......... almost 18% warmer than normal too.
Posted By: Zep Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 06/18/15 10:19 AM
Dave Davidson...over 6.5 inches of rain in Bowie, Texas yesterday?
Posted By: RER Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 06/18/15 11:44 AM
most dry spring we have had in awhile here. My free flowing well is a trickle.
Posted By: Cisco Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 06/18/15 01:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Zep
Dave Davidson...over 6.5 inches of rain in Bowie, Texas yesterday?

I saw that too Zep. He's gotta be floating away up there. I've had 23" so far this year way out west. Average is about 8" this time of year.
Posted By: Flame Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 06/18/15 01:46 PM
Believe it or not we have had a little over 60 INCHES of rain since January 1st this year in Sabine County Deep East Texas!!!! Got 3 inches in the last 2 days alone.
Posted By: Zep Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 06/18/15 03:40 PM
It's basically been raining ever since the Pond Boss Conference ended!

Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 06/18/15 04:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Tbar
We lost this cutting of hay. Its so tall/heavy....its laying over and by the time it drys out(whenever that happens) it will be sour and too tough.

Tbar, we're still in that same boat. Our hay laid over several weeks ago, and no mowing, fertilizing, weed spraying, gopher dragging, cutting/bailing, nothing. I have a feeling there'll be a bunch of cheap bad hay produced with the first cutting this year.

I had to cut another trench this morning just to help drain the hay meadows.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 06/18/15 04:18 PM
Y'all down south need to quit sending that wet crap our way....send it to cali!
Posted By: Tbar Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 06/19/15 12:35 AM
75 days of rain since the first of the year at my place. Kind of amazing for Texas.

We did our time in the drought box......now we are recharging the lakes and aquifers.

Sorry about your fields Al.

Cool gif Mark!

Attached File
Rain Through June 18,2015.xlsx  (267 downloads)
Mark, can't really prove 6.5 inches. My gauge only goes to 6 inches. I found out after posting that a neighbor about 300 yards away got 7.5 inches. I need to buy some new gravel but all the gravel pits are full of water and the Counties get priority. We went there yesterday to look around and see if we still had dams. No problems.

Some areas around reported 11 inches from the storm and the city of Bowie was once again flooded.

According to Wundermap and a neighbor a mile away who has the weather station reporting gear, we have had 13.75 in the last 30 days. In the last 12 months, we have gotten 70.7 inches. That 70.7 is a 3 or 4 year supply. Prior to the rains, my 2 ponds were no more than mud holes. I now have 9 full ponds and 6 of them won't last long. 3 of them have been flushing pretty well.

It is my experience that El Nino's are always followed by a La Nina. That ain't good.
Posted By: Zep Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 06/19/15 07:55 PM
If you have a trip planned that crosses the TX/OK
border on I-35 this weekend you may want to re-consider.

Red River Flooding Threatens I-35 Tx/Ok Closing
Posted By: Tbar Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 06/19/15 08:18 PM
Did they get the rock-slide cleared.....???

http://www.fox4news.com/story/29354445/r...oklahoma-border
Posted By: Zep Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 06/19/15 08:28 PM
Oh wow....that's crazy Tbar.

They must have got it open because in the link I posted you can see
cars zooming both ways on the nearly flooded I-35 bridge over the
Red
(BoomerSooner!) River.
Posted By: mnfish Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 06/19/15 08:32 PM
Good gravy! That's a lot of water.
Posted By: Zep Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 10/23/15 01:11 AM
Finally - North Texas gets some rain!

Posted By: Bill D. Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 10/23/15 01:26 AM
Happy for you guys! Hope it comes the right way and in the right amount!..... could you send me a some? 1 inch over 24 hours would be great if yer taking rain orders! smile
Posted By: Boburk Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 10/23/15 02:25 AM
Been raining most of the day here, but last I looked we only had 1.5 inches. Need a gully washer to fill my pond.

Sean
Still none in Oakwood..... Darn
Posted By: Rainman Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 10/23/15 04:41 AM
I'm headed to Abilene mid/late next week to clear a pond...hopefully it will stay dry, but I AM Rainman...
A little over 4 inches at Bowie and I needed it bad.

2.75 here in the D/FW metroplex.
Posted By: Cisco Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 10/23/15 12:39 PM
You bring it with you Rainman! Hell, just the thought of you coming brought me 1.75 yesterday. Hoping from more thru this weekend. The pond will be plenty muddy for you anyway.
Just heard on the news that the strongest storm ever measured is about to hit Mexico and then go up into Texas. Gonna get wetter.
Posted By: Cisco Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 10/23/15 01:16 PM
Yes sir, it had 200MPH winds last night. Looks like it's going to be a big un.
Posted By: Zep Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 10/23/15 01:35 PM
Just heard on the news that the strongest storm ever measured is about to hit Mexico and then go up into Texas. Gonna get wetter.

Dave I'm not complaining....well yes I am...I know we need the rain, but I hope we don't go straight from Summer-Hot Sept/Oct into weeks of rain- then straight into Winter....I don't wanna skip Fall! We deserve a Fall after the hot summer!
Posted By: ewest Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 10/23/15 02:35 PM
Pray for the people on the west coast of Mexico - north TX will get some extra rain but not that much extra. Current storm (not hurricane) was estimated to drop as much as 6 inches in some places. Hurricane up to 4 more. Forecasts change though.
A little over 4 inches at Bowie and I needed it bad.

2.75 here in the D/FW metroplex.

1/8" here.... I'm really dissappointed
Hope you get some of this Pat. D/FW is having a lot of flooding. This stuff came in a hurry in some places.
Posted By: Zep Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 10/23/15 06:49 PM
Speaking of rain....here is a touching story about a tragedy that happened during the rains/flooding in Texas last spring over Memorial Day Weekend. Be sure and watch video in the article: (kleenex optional)

Man who lost his wife and young kids in Texas flood finds them in a dream.
Posted By: esshup Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 10/23/15 11:56 PM
Agreed ewest. They are calling for sustained 200 mph winds in Mexico. That's an F5 tornado.
Posted By: Leswad Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 10/24/15 05:43 PM
My tanks were 3 to 4 feet low on Thursday. They breached the spillway today!

Well got 2". Could use another 6
Posted By: Zep Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 10/24/15 09:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Leswad
My tanks were 3 to 4 feet low on Thursday. They breached the spillway today!

Nice pics Leswad.

My pond was low last weekend and today the water
was flowing thru the dam pipe...so I am back to full.
Posted By: highflyer Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..... - 10/24/15 09:19 PM
I expect our pond is full again, the report to follow!
Seems like you Texans are feast or famine when it comes to pond levels.
© Pond Boss Forum