Pond Boss
Posted By: DeermanJ Proper Beach Slope - 04/21/15 02:25 AM
Pondmeisters,

I have just finished a 35 x 80 (foot sand beach using many of the ideas found here on the forum, (12 ft. geotextile underlayment, 12 inch basin, ect...) However, I did not find anything definitive on proper beach slope. I Googled around and found very little on the subject. What I found suggested no less than a 14 to 1 slope, which sounded reasonable and is the slope I went with. Now that the sand is in, I am somewhat concerned that the slope may not be steep enough. What is the general opinion on proper beach slope? With some amount of work I could change the slope and will if needed.

Thanks,

DeermanJ
Posted By: Dan Fischer Re: Proper Beach Slope - 04/21/15 02:55 AM
The slope on the beach in my pond is 10 to 1. I installed fabric underlayment and 4 inches of pea gravel to mine. After three years having this pond I can't think of anything I would have done different.
Posted By: DeermanJ Re: Proper Beach Slope - 04/21/15 04:26 AM
Thanks Dan for the input. That seems more reasonable. I'm thinking about leaving the exposed beach area at 14/1 and perhaps changing the area below water to something closer to 10/1 or 8/1. I'll be interested to see what the rest of the PB community says. Thanks again.
Posted By: DeermanJ Re: Proper Beach Slope - 04/25/15 02:37 AM
Just spent most of the last 2 days reworking the beach. Started at a 14/1 slope and now have a 9/1 slope below the waterline. I left the exposed area at a 14/1. Wow is that ever a lot of clay to move!!! We now have an extra sledding hill on the back of the property smile
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Proper Beach Slope - 04/25/15 03:36 AM
All depends on the length of the beach, if it's small I'd go more aggressive slope 6:1 but if it's large I'd go more gradual at 8:1 - but I'm talking about below the waterline. Just my personal preference - sounds like a cool project, please share your photos and experiences - this is great for the forum!
© Pond Boss Forum