Pond Boss
Posted By: JKB Best Salmon/Trout Recipes... - 04/08/15 12:25 AM
As you may know, Fatih will soon be embarking on a really cool trip with many GREAT destinations in the USA. I know his excitement is way over the top!

Anyway, we're hitting Lake Michigan instead of a pond, for Coho (Silvers), Steelhead (Big RBT), Chinook (Kings) and Lake Trout.

There is a program, with certain participants, called Catch and Cook.

This is where if you take out a charter, and an affiliated restaurant will prepare your catch, any way you like.

Being in contact with the owner of "Old Boys", she explained how it works. (Jacks is another place across the road that I have to check with)

This is a specialty service they offer, but a charter group can select up to 3 different ways they like their Salmon prepared, and anything goes!

Here's where you come in.

Think about it, and what you would do with sides, salads...

I have about 10-11 weeks to turn this in, but am posting early because I know you guys/gals will come up with some killer stuff, and want it to be covered well.

There may just be a prize involved as well if any of the boy's choose "your particular" posting "in this thread" on how they want their fish prepared and what goes with it, so blow their socks off!!!

Let's see where this goes, and have fun.

Thanks!!
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Best Salmon/Trout Recipes... - 04/08/15 12:36 AM
Good topic. Love salmon, but I can't/don't cook.
Can't wait for the recipes, maybe I'll learn to cook...
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Best Salmon/Trout Recipes... - 04/08/15 12:37 AM
First choice would be smoked but you probably would not have time for that.

So....Barbecued on a wet cedar plank. Skinless with salt, pepper, dijon mustard and crumbled brown sugar.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Best Salmon/Trout Recipes... - 04/08/15 12:53 AM
Well my wife says if you want an Asian recipe, marinade in Teriyaki sauce, olive oil and ginger.
Posted By: Ben Adducchio Re: Best Salmon/Trout Recipes... - 04/08/15 12:58 AM
Salmon with pappardelle and leeks
Salmon has to be pan fried with olive oil and butter
Pappardelle needs to be handmade fresh pasta
Leeks are leeks, the fresher the better

Blackened trout with brussel sprouts and rice pilaf
Brussel sprouts need to be halved, pan fried in butter with onions and garlic and a little bit of salt. Use garlic salt if you don't keep fresh garlic.

My wife loves salmon so we eat quite a bit of it. I cook trout if I have time to fish and they are biting. These 2 are my favorite to make and then eat. My kids love the salmon and they are quite young.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Best Salmon/Trout Recipes... - 04/08/15 01:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Ben Adducchio
Salmon with pappardelle and leeks
Salmon has to be pan fried with olive oil and butter
Pappardelle needs to be handmade fresh pasta
Leeks are leeks, the fresher the better

Blackened trout with brussel sprouts and rice pilaf
Brussel sprouts need to be halved, pan fried in butter with onions and garlic and a little bit of salt. Use garlic salt if you don't keep fresh garlic.

My wife loves salmon so we eat quite a bit of it. I cook trout if I have time to fish and they are biting. These 2 are my favorite to make and then eat. My kids love the salmon and they are quite young.

Both recipes sound great! I would eat both in a heartbeat!
Posted By: esshup Re: Best Salmon/Trout Recipes... - 04/08/15 03:59 AM
I don't have anything to add, but I'm watching because I will be trying to decide which one to try!!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Best Salmon/Trout Recipes... - 04/08/15 07:35 AM
Greatest stuff on salmon ever! http://www.amazon.com/House-Brand-Scandinavian-Salmon-Rub/dp/B00GS8F5JE
Posted By: CrazyJu Re: Best Salmon/Trout Recipes... - 04/08/15 12:13 PM
Salmon steak, cover in yellow mustard, heaping pile of brown sugar, splash of lemon juice, wrap in foil, cook in oven or open grill.

Fresh whole trout, head on or off, stuff with fine chopped tomatoe and onions, butter, salt and pepper, wrapped in foil, placed directly in fire.
Posted By: Ben Adducchio Re: Best Salmon/Trout Recipes... - 04/08/15 05:42 PM
Definitely trying the whole trout, head on and stuffed!
Posted By: anthropic Re: Best Salmon/Trout Recipes... - 04/08/15 06:46 PM
Louisiana style: Sprinkle salmon lightly with Paul Prudhomme's Redfish Magic dry rub. Then hot smoke salmon filets in grill until they just begin to flake, about 15 to 20 minutes. Salmon should NOT be over direct heat nor the smoking wood.

Use salmon to make salmon salad. Finely chopped celery, sweet pickle relish, mayo mixture, all to taste.

Wowsers!!!
Posted By: mnfish Re: Best Salmon/Trout Recipes... - 04/09/15 02:30 AM
We fish Kings on Lake Michigan going out of Door county WI. That fish is soooo much fun to catch and boy are they good to eat!

I like to melt equal parts butter, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Mixing all together to make a simple glaze. Grill the skin on fillets skin side on the grill. Baste the glaze on the fillet a couple time during the cooking. Simple and tasty.

Take the cold left overs (assuming there is any) and make salmon spread using cream cheese and dill.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Best Salmon/Trout Recipes... - 04/09/15 12:49 PM
I have a freezer full of King and Silvers and thanks for the tips on cooking them up smile

Tracy
© Pond Boss Forum