Pond Boss
Posted By: mnfish Scary Reminder - 03/29/15 05:13 PM
In the north where no ice is safe, I got a potentiality grim reminder yesterday of how important it is to have a rope with an attached weight pond side. With my strong disapproval, my neighbor decided to go out on the ice. About 40' out, the ice gave way and down he went. 6' of water and fully clothed. He remained calm and I threw the rope and pulled him in. I have no idea if he would have made it back without that rope and I pray I will never know. I was so relieved when we got to warm cabin and equally as angry!!! 56 years old and a Minnesotan his whole life, he should have known better. Ponds in the north with aeration/ thin ice, be prepared.

Just a reminder from me, It's not a matter of if it happens...it's a matter of when it happens!
Posted By: Rainman Re: Scary Reminder - 03/29/15 09:32 PM
Wow mnfish....Glad this had a happy ending!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Scary Reminder - 03/29/15 09:40 PM
Good reminder. Glad it turned out OK.
Posted By: mnfish Re: Scary Reminder - 03/29/15 11:27 PM
To be honest, that might have been one of the scariest moments of my life!!! I joked with him later to start coining the phrase of a "fall through strategy" of fish management. It all happened in a blink of an eye. I can tell you straight up...I never want to go through that ever again!!!!

50' of rope tied to a partially sand filled bleach bottle. So simple and inexpensive. I keep it hung out of the elements close to the pond, under a picnic table in this case, so the rope stays dry and doesn't freeze together.
Posted By: JKB Re: Scary Reminder - 03/29/15 11:48 PM
Coincidentally, new calculations state that it only takes 38 minutes and change to fall thru the earth and end up on the other side.

It can take more time than that to drive 2 miles up here.

Posted By: JKB Re: Scary Reminder - 03/29/15 11:54 PM
Water safety equals ropes available, for that part.

Glad you plucked him out.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Scary Reminder - 03/30/15 12:22 AM
Originally Posted By: mnfish
50' of rope tied to a partially sand filled bleach bottle. So simple and inexpensive. I keep it hung out of the elements close to the pond, under a picnic table in this case, so the rope stays dry and doesn't freeze together.

If it was me in the water, with my luck, the bottle with sand would have hit me in the head. FWIW to me, your buddy should have listened to you and not gone out on the ice in the first place. If the ice is even slightly questionable, stay off it!

My 2 cents

Just to be clear though, the rope and a bottle are a must and a great idea. There will be one in my pump house soon! smile
© Pond Boss Forum