Pond Boss
Posted By: ToddM Water Level Down 3-4" Over the Winter - 02/28/15 07:38 PM
As a first time pond father I was wondering if this is normal? We have been cold and dry here for a long time with not much snow, just regular snow. Thanks...Todd
Posted By: Rainman Re: Water Level Down 3-4" Over the Winter - 02/28/15 10:10 PM
Todd, I would say it sounds very normal. In cold air, the warmer water will evaporate very easily, and evaporate slower, but constantly when not frozen. All earthen bottom ponds leak to some degree, so seepage is still normal even if your pond is frozen over. I would put 3-4" loss over winter, not only in the "normal" range, but also in the darn good range for a new pond!
Posted By: ToddM Re: Water Level Down 3-4" Over the Winter - 02/28/15 11:40 PM
That's good to hear rainman, I was wondering how evaporation worked during the winter. Thank you.
Posted By: ToddM Re: Water Level Down 3-4" Over the Winter - 03/10/15 09:59 PM
What a difference a few weeks makes, over flow has been going steady for a while now. Here is a photo after the most recent storm! I'm done with this white stuff.

Posted By: Mike Otto Re: Water Level Down 3-4" Over the Winter - 03/11/15 12:54 AM
Great photo of the pond and the sky
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Water Level Down 3-4" Over the Winter - 03/11/15 02:37 AM
3-4"? I lose 12"/month - you're doing great with that little loss in my book. Beautiful photo - thanks for sharing!
© Pond Boss Forum