Pond Boss
Posted By: esshup February 1, 2015 winter storm - 01/31/15 12:24 AM
Well, if the weather people are correct, we will get whacked on Sunday. They are saying now that we will see 8"-12" of snow, with the heaviest amount in a band along Rt. 30. Guess what highway is 1.5 miles South of me? Yup!

I don't even know if the groundhog will be able to dig itself out on Monday!!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 01/31/15 12:46 AM
Our forecast says 6 or more with strong winds. Storm warning starts Saturday night and runs thru Sunday night.
Posted By: Mike Schmitt Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 01/31/15 12:03 PM
Do you have a snow mobile? Knowing you, there is probably even a backup one hiding around somewhere!
Posted By: JKB Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 01/31/15 12:33 PM
Potential of 3-5" in Grand Haven, 1-3" potential in Fremont. Clear and sunny on Monday. They have been way off on snowfall predictions this year, but real close on temps.

I'm glad the snowfall isn't anywhere near last years. It sucked!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 01/31/15 12:38 PM
They got 3 feet of snow at my ol' ' stumping grounds in Massachusetts the other day. They are expecting another foot from the same storm we are getting on Monday. Can you imagine 4 feet of snow on the ground? Ice fishing would be a PITA!
Posted By: Bob-O Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 01/31/15 01:56 PM
Cecil, what did you get? My boy says Ft Wayne go 14". Glad I'm not there.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 01/31/15 02:07 PM
They have bumped our warning up to possible 10 inches now. Looks like the folks closer to Lake Michigan will get the most around here with up to 14 forecast.
Posted By: JKB Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 01/31/15 02:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Ice fishing would be a PITA!

Just getting out the door could be a PITA!

I remember climbing out my bedroom window on the 2nd floor, jumping on the porch roof, then do flying squirrel type stuff to a pine tree (you miss, it hurts) just to clear the snow from the doors so you can actually leave the house.

Glad that don't happen any more!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 01/31/15 08:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Cecil, what did you get? My boy says Ft Wayne go 14". Glad I'm not there.

Hasn't come yet Bob. Starting up from 10 P.M. to midnight tonight (Saturday) the 31st. They've now bumped it up to 10 to 14 inches. Most of the heavy snow will be on Sunday.

The wife and I stopped at Aldis and a local grocery store after Menards, and they were busy! Only got a cart at Aldis because a customer was leaving, and they said all the carts were being used earlier at the local Kroger.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 01/31/15 10:35 PM
Thanks Cecil, got the sketchy info from a non reliable source. I'm sure I'm NOT the one who was confused.
My friends are flying back to the Fortm right now and they ain't real happy about it. I think they were hoping to not be able to fly in tonight thus getting an extra day of vacation.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 01/31/15 11:05 PM
Bob,

Here's a great link to bookmark for weather up here in our neck of the woods:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/iwx/

Click on your county for a weather report for your property. After doing that you can scroll down to forecast discussion for more detailed info. Also clicking on weather story when you first get to the site will give you projected snow totals and a synopsis of weather for the next few days.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 01/31/15 11:24 PM
Great site Cecil, thank you. When weather forecasters are smarter than yer kid... it hurts.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/01/15 03:00 AM
Well they're smarter than me! I washed out of the Air Force weather school at Chanute AFB. Some very smart people in that program! Also tougher classes than I ever had in college!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/01/15 03:51 AM
Snow has started here. Light stuff so far. Maybe an inch. Can still see the pond from the window 300 feet away in the flood lights. Afraid to check the current forecast. Everytime I do they have bumped it up by 2. Sitting at 12 when I did check. Hope you guys in N Indiana have your snow boots ready. Looks like you are really going to get hammered.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/01/15 05:08 AM
Light snow here now too.The real storm is supposed to crank up on Sunday. I may do some ice fishing in the shanty during rhe storm tomorrow.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/01/15 05:16 AM
Now that would just be too cool! Especially, if you got a hot cup of Joe to enjoy while you wait for that bite and watch the storm around you.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/01/15 05:31 AM
Around 2 here now. Coming down harder. Can't see the pond anymore.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/01/15 06:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Now that would just be too cool! Especially, if you got a hot cup of Joe to enjoy while you wait for that bite and watch the storm around you.

Amazing how cozy it is in there with a lantern. I can take my jacket and gloves off. The lantern seems to draw fish in too.
Posted By: RAH Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/01/15 11:47 AM
Not much here - 30 miles west of Indianapolis.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/01/15 01:56 PM
Close to 4 inches here so far and coming down pretty decent now with larger flakes. Temp is still at or close to freezing with snow sticking to trees, lines etc. Hope we don't get an power outages. Very, very white out there!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/01/15 02:12 PM
We have around 6 so far. Snowing hard with wind gusts to 30.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/01/15 02:24 PM
We were supposed to get between 3-6", but they've since revised that considerably. No longer under any warnings or watches, no precip so far, 35 degrees, and the new forecast calling for around an inch. Life is good.
Posted By: Shorty Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/01/15 02:35 PM
Power just came on a few minutes ago here, it has been off for the last eight hours. We have 6 to 7" on the ground now and the wind is howling, the first 3 to 4" that came down yesterday were very heavy and wet. I had to get on the roof last night and brush the snow off the satellite dish in order to get it to work.

Still snowing here...
Posted By: catmandoo Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/01/15 02:58 PM
I'm just getting real tired of plowing snow!
Posted By: JKB Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/01/15 03:03 PM
They bumped us up. 6.8" so far and still coming down.
Posted By: Shorty Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/01/15 04:21 PM
31 mph winds with gusts to 39 mph now.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/01/15 04:41 PM
Still snowing heavyily. 8 to 10 on the ground. Weather radio just went off. Our Winter Storm Warning is now upgraded to Blizzard Warning till midnight. Winds at 45.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/01/15 06:25 PM
About 6 inches now on the ground and drifting. Snowing harder also.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/01/15 06:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Shorty
I had to get on the roof last night and brush the snow off the satellite dish in order to get it to work.

Shorty, if you can still find one of these water cannons (or similar), one shot with some warm water and you can easily clean off the satellite dish from the ground.

They work GREAT!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/01/15 07:54 PM
Letting up here from time to time now. Probably not going to get the amount predicted.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/02/15 01:38 AM
"About 6 inches now on the ground and drifting".
Dang Cecil, sounds like me and a bottle of Ripple in my high school days.
Posted By: Shorty Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/02/15 02:24 AM
I'm guessing 8-9" here, lots of big drifts with the wind, digging out is going to be fun in the morning. It is supposed to drop down to -14° tonight, at least the wind is supposed to calm down later but it is still blowing at 20 mph now.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/02/15 02:39 AM
I decided no UPS pick up tomorrow. I can clear my 300 plus foot driveway of 3 foot drifts with the snow blower but I'm concerned the driver will have serious issues tomorrow on the back roads. I can't have frozen trophy fish stranded somewhere.
Posted By: bryani289swmi Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/02/15 02:48 AM
We have 16" on the ground here so far, still coming down hard. Clearing that with the 72" blower should make the Kubota snort a bit in the morning. Went for a short ride at 5:00PM, plows hadn't been out all day, drifting was getting bad. Thanks.

Bryan
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/02/15 03:00 AM
The lake enhancing the snow a little Bryan?
Posted By: bryani289swmi Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/02/15 03:35 AM
Yes I think so. The snow band here today has been pretty steady. At the rate it's coming down I would bet we get another 5" by morning. Thanks.

Bryan
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/02/15 03:36 AM
9" in LNK - first few inches was dense and wet, tough digging out today, one scoop and had to dump it - no pushing. Very heavy, but roads are already fine - no big deal. School called for tomorrow, I think because of the windchills tomorrow AM.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/02/15 04:36 AM
Originally Posted By: bryani289swmi
Yes I think so. The snow band here today has been pretty steady. At the rate it's coming down I would bet we get another 5" by morning. Thanks.

Bryan

Snow has started back up here. Supposed to be a "wrap around effect" of the low pressure system.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/02/15 04:45 AM
No snow for us, but it rained most of the day with a little sleet mixed in this morning. 60% chance of snow after midnight, with little to no accumulation expected. All ponds wide open. Quite a change from the forecast they were giving Friday afternoon.
Posted By: JKB Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/02/15 06:45 AM
Pretty much over here. Got about 8" from what I could find out. I was out a little while ago, pretty much just drifting. 31 was the only road plowed.

My sister calls. Her car died just down the road from her house. Her and the kids walk home. She calls a wrecker to get it towed home. Within about a half hour from when she left the car, the wrecker shows up and they are where the car WAS. Wrecker dude says it's already been towed. Who would have done that? Police, so give them a call. She makes the call. They tell her that she has to come in during business hours, pay the $50.00 fee, then they will tell her where her car is. She pays the wrecker dude.

I told her that it's probably the same wrecker dude you called, but now you're gonna pay him twice, plus storage, plus having it towed home or to a shop, after you pay the police their cut of the scheme.

That township she lives in is really strange. I do know that if the speed limit is 35 and you're going 36, you will get a speeding ticket. They have a few speed traps as well. One road is 55, then it drops down to 30 without warning and you can't see the sign until you're 50' from it. I didn't get caught in that one, but there is another that goes 45 to 25, and you can't see that sign until you are passing it.

Interesting on the news this evening. They'll have a story about this tomorrow, but a criminal law expert says that every person in Michigan commits a criminal offense at least once per week, and they don't even know it. Should be interesting.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/02/15 11:04 AM
Originally Posted By: JKB

Interesting on the news this evening. They'll have a story about this tomorrow, but a criminal law expert says that every person in Michigan commits a criminal offense at least once per week, and they don't even know it. Should be interesting.

I'm betting it will be one of those weird laws like "You can't go out in public without combing yer hair."

It's starting out be a good day! Got up at 4:30 to dig out the 12 inches and big drifts from 180 foot driveway and front walks so kids could get to school. Haven't bought a gardern tractor yet so it's a walk behind blower for the task. Grabbed a cup of Joe and the phone rings. School is cancelled. Figure I'm up so might as well dig out, Look out the window and my buddy had come by during the night and plowed everything! Think I'll have another cup of Joe! smile
Posted By: bryani289swmi Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/02/15 02:25 PM
I'm guessing 16-18" for the storm here, the picture is in a sheltered area. I measure in the same place and it usually is pretty close to local reports. This is only the second time I've run cleared the drive this year as the kids have usually been handling it. My tracks from when I went for a ride yesterday at 5:00 were barely visible this morning.

Bryan

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7587&filename=image.jpg

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: Water Fowl Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/02/15 02:32 PM
Sitting at 18-20" in the far south suburbs of Chicago this morning.It was not a fun ride into work this morning in NW Indiana! Never ceases to amaze me the amount of idiots who think the conditions don't apply to them or their vehicle. Unfortunately, more times than not they end up killing someone else because of their stupidity. Watched a lady blow by me on the left lane (bar far the worst lane condition wise) on I-80 in some small SUV. She did at least (2) 360's before coming to a hault in the middle of the I-80 a 1/4 mile after she passed me. Thankfully everyone else was driving responsibly and was able to slow down to allow her to clean out her drawers and proceed on her way without hurting anyone or herself. Needless to say she wasn't driving very fast when she started back up!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/02/15 02:43 PM
Originally Posted By: bryani289swmi
I'm guessing 16-18" for the storm here, the picture is in a sheltered area. I measure in the same place and it usually is pretty close to local reports. This is only the second time I've run cleared the drive this year as the kids have usually been handling it. My tracks from when I went for a ride yesterday at 5:00 were barely visible this morning.

Bryan

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7587&filename=image.jpg

Do I dare ask about the installation of that basketball goal? grin
Posted By: bryani289swmi Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/02/15 02:49 PM
We picked it up for $10 off Craigslist, I think they were trying to move it and it was partially frozen to the ground so they left it. Thanks.

Bryan
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/02/15 07:55 PM
I did my 300 plus foot driveway and the neighbor's this morning with my walk behind 4.0 h.p. Toro. Wouldn't want to do that every week!
Posted By: Shorty Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/02/15 08:11 PM
My wife ran our tractor and eight foot blade up and down our 400 yard driveway several times this morning to get it cleared.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/03/15 02:09 AM
We wound up with about 18" total, but not much wind. Last night there was only a few inches and I didn't expect to have to get up in the middle of the night to plow. I should have when I realized I couldn't see any hint of the driveway in the morning!

I use a little 400cc Kodiak 4-wheeler and 48" Rhino plow, and it has worked great for the past 11 years. A few buck of maintenance and new batteries every so often and that is it. I use a winch to raise and lower the plow. It is fun unless there are big drifts that are hard. That spins the vehicle around, so you have to slam the drift several times to bust through!
Posted By: esshup Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/03/15 01:45 PM
Still digging out around here. Official total 19.6" of snow at Plymouth, 12 miles to the East. Lost internet for a day, and it's been off an on before and after that. Mom & Dad's snowthrower broke, so I was over there to clean their place. Their driveway is over 200' long and 14' wide, and that doesn't include the area between the house and pole barn. It took me over 6 hrs to clear my place, and I still have to get the lake house cleared today, then go clear an absentee landowners place that will take all day, if not more.

Snowplow ate both my neighbors and my mailbox again, so the back-up is out (mailbox screwed to the top of a step ladder). Replacing $60 mailboxes once a year and band-aiding them together half way thru the winter is getting old. The plow usually buries the lake house pretty well, so that will be fun.......

Mike, I used to do a lot of sledding in the 80's, but due to the lack of snow in recent years I never kept up with it. Artick Cat El Tigre, I had over 200 studs in the track, carbide wear bars on the skiis, different carbs and exhaust. Pyrometers for each cylinder because I got tired of melting pistons. On the lake it could carry the skiis for a LONG ways even with minimal snow on the ice.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/03/15 02:31 PM
19" of snow...wow! Not a single flake on the ground down here!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/05/15 06:31 PM
We received 3/4" of snow last night, during what I consider to be only our 2nd snowfall event of the winter thus far. Amazing.
Posted By: Shorty Re: February 1, 2015 winter storm - 02/05/15 08:58 PM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
We received 3/4" of snow last night, during what I consider to be only our 2nd snowfall event of the winter thus far. Amazing.

We had 5-1/2" to 6" yesterday morning here, temps dropped down to -11 degrees this morning. eek
© Pond Boss Forum