Pond Boss
Posted By: Bob-O Creepies.....SNAP - 09/23/14 01:33 AM
Now I ain't a sissy but there are some creepy things I'd rather avoid. Such as leaches, bill collectors and in-laws oh yes and dentist. Hi Bruce.
Today I pulled a couple of spawning structures for Spotfin Shiners and before spraying them off with an air hose I noticed what looked like real small leaches but they were red. After I blew off one of the structures I noticed that laying on the concrete floor these things looked exactly like very small (3/16-5/8 inches) Red Wigglers and their movements were the same. There were hundreds of em and the little suckers made my skin crawl. Pretty soon I was wigged out enough to start itchin EVERYwhere. Still have the something crawlin on me feeling. Fraid I might have ta shower. I attempted to take a pic but my crummy I phone camera couldn't focus or maybe it was me. Anyone have a guess what these nasty little creatures are?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Creepies.....SNAP - 09/23/14 01:44 AM
I read about these last week.

If you come within 10' of them, above water, you're basically screwed.

See, one of these has already entered each of your audio canals.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Creepies.....SNAP - 09/23/14 02:22 AM
Dude, it wasn't my audio canals I was worried about.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Creepies.....SNAP - 09/23/14 02:31 AM
Oh, that's a classic response.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Creepies.....SNAP - 09/23/14 02:33 AM
bloodworms?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Creepies.....SNAP - 09/23/14 04:26 AM
I've got leech infestation in my BG/YP pond - many BG have them inside their mouths. These are dark grey, however, not red. Still, don't like them, and neither to the BG I don't think. Hopefully my hoards of FHM will help knock these leeches down.
Posted By: esshup Re: Creepies.....SNAP - 09/23/14 02:42 PM
Bob, have you ever seen the show "Monsters Inside Me"?

Be afraid my friend, be very afraid!!!!
Posted By: Shorty Re: Creepies.....SNAP - 09/23/14 03:14 PM
Baby leeches will grow up. eek

Posted By: Bob-O Re: Creepies.....SNAP - 09/23/14 06:41 PM
Scott, no I haven't but I remember the movie Alien and that bout made me sleepless. Don't need no monsters inside me !!!
Shorty, positive they're not leaches. I'll have to research Bloodworms. The name seems ta fit.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Creepies.....SNAP - 09/23/14 06:55 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I've got leech infestation in my BG/YP pond - many BG have them inside their mouths. These are dark grey, however, not red. Still, don't like them, and neither to the BG I don't think. Hopefully my hoards of FHM will help knock these leeches down.

Could this impact their feeding behavior? (pinch bellies?)
Posted By: Shorty Re: Creepies.....SNAP - 09/23/14 06:59 PM
Bloodworms, midge larvae, fish love them.

Posted By: Rainman Re: Creepies.....SNAP - 09/23/14 10:21 PM
Bob, just remember that the only thing worse than finding an unknown worm crawling on you, is that brief glimpse of one crawling into you....
Posted By: captwho Re: Creepies.....SNAP - 09/23/14 10:43 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Creepies.....SNAP - 09/23/14 11:54 PM
Shorty your guess was right on. Thanks for the confirmation. Good pic.
Rainman are you speaking from experience? Be careful here your future overnights at Dr Percas might be threatened.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Creepies.....SNAP - 09/24/14 03:27 AM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

Could this impact their feeding behavior? (pinch bellies?)

Maybe. Leeches were found in their mouths, of all places, which was weird to me. I figured I'd see them on gills or even eyes, but not the interior of their mouths. Could they be using them for forage, but a few get attached to the mouth interior and latch on?

I can say since MidSummer the incidence of leeches in BG mouths has abated significantly. That's a good thing - I removed all I could with hemos from every fish but it's tedious work.
Posted By: esshup Re: Creepies.....SNAP - 09/24/14 04:13 AM
TJ, I've seen that in LMB in a local lake too. Didn't seem to affect them in any way.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Creepies.....SNAP - 09/24/14 05:34 PM
These are the smallest leeches I've ever seen - maybe they are juvenile leeches - just not sure. Maybe 2-3 mm long...but again, they are starting to disappear, so maybe the FHM are keeping population trimmed or it's a seasonal thing?
© Pond Boss Forum