Pond Boss
Posted By: Love2Fish Weed Eater Bass Attractor - 08/27/14 05:20 PM
Just an observation. Amusing to me.

I use a weed eater to edge around the pond on a property that I recently bought. I started noticing bass following me. At first considering the noise of the weed eater and the fact that I was so close the bass could definitely see me, I thought this pretty strange.

After doing this for a few times I decided to see if the bass were actually following me or was this my imagination. Sure enough when I stopped, they stopped. When I moved forward they moved forward.

I finally figured it out by watching more closely. They were not attracted to me, but the weed eater was causing bugs to jump in the water and the bass were snapping them up.

Fun to watch. Adds a little pleasure to working out in the hot sun each time I go out.

"It's amazing what you can see if you look".
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Weed Eater Bass Attractor - 08/27/14 05:40 PM
We need to only open our eyes...

Most folks now a days have their eyes glued to a phone, and probably would walk right into the pond before noticing anything is different.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Weed Eater Bass Attractor - 08/27/14 05:45 PM
+1 on that Fish!

RC
Posted By: vamaz Re: Weed Eater Bass Attractor - 08/27/14 06:45 PM
Interresting. My chickens do the same thing when I mow around the backyard fence and the grass blows into their part of the yard.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Weed Eater Bass Attractor - 08/27/14 07:30 PM
Great story!

One forum member used to put a fabricated 'scoop' on the front of his quad, and when he road through a pasture/meadow/field, the scoop would gather up grasshoppers and other insects that he would then feed to his fish.
Posted By: snrub Re: Weed Eater Bass Attractor - 08/27/14 07:43 PM
Back in the 70's there was an article in a farm magazine where farmers were using a large catch basket to catch grasshoppers during a drought to use as protein supplement for cattle.

Don't see why it would not work for fish.

I watched a couple grasshoppers bite the big one just last night while walking around the pond and watching them jump in and try to swim back to shore. Took the BG a little while to get interested, but they eventually got the grasshoppers.
Posted By: troutmaster Re: Weed Eater Bass Attractor - 08/27/14 07:47 PM
I had a bass in my grandfather's pond as a kid that was feed trained but came from another pond. (We never fed fish) it would follow you around the pond as you walked. He grew for 3 years and got from 1 lb to 6 lb.
© Pond Boss Forum