Pond Boss
Posted By: Bing What would you do? Meeting with Game Warden - 06/23/14 07:27 PM
Our local game warden just called me on my cell phone and wanted to have a meeting with me on what he called a complaint. He would not tell me anything else; would not answer any other question. I have tentatively agreed to meet with him at the DNR office in Vandalia IL next week. I have verified that he is for real, and I know of no issues, and I do not think I have anything to worry about (except perhaps for some SSS).

What would you do? Meet or cancel.
I don't think that I would take my time to meet him without a little better explanation as to what it is about.
I'd certainly ask him to explain himself, in a diplomatic way, of course.

Also, I'd ask to see copies of any reports or complaints that may pertain to myself or my property.

Where did he get your cell phone #?
I didn't see the simple question, 'meet or cancel.'

I'd meet.
Posted By: RC51 Re: What would you do? Meeting with Game Warden - 06/23/14 07:50 PM
Ok first off if he is local then why don't he come out and see you? That's what Game and Fish does?? Why do you have to go to him? Have you been shooting a lot around your pond? Do you have close neighbors that may have gotten upset about the shooting?

Why would he just call and say that? You have to have someone near by that is upset about something??? Did you do Fireworks over M. Day maybe??

I don't know makes no sence to me. How far away is this meeting place? I would be honestly upset to get a call like that and not give you any information to go on??? Keep us posted please I can't wait to hear this one!!

RC
Maybe he is looking for pond advice for a personal project?
Me personally I would be sweating bullets, but I would go to see him. It may be simply to get your take on a complaint he thinks is exceedingly unreasonable and doesn't want a record of things until he can hear both sides.
Reminds me of one time MEGSI called my parents house and wanted me to come in for questions I was 17.. my parents immediately called our lawyer (my uncle lol).. He told me absolutely do not go unless they have some kind of warrant.. didn't go didn't call them back anything never heard another word from them.. Still no idea what it could have been about
I'd request that he come to your place so you can clear up anything that might be misleading or vague in the complaint...
Hi Bing, how unusual - you've got me wondering, "WTH"?

Out of curiosity, I'd personally take the meeting. Very weird he won't relate details, or be willing to meet at your place, however. Squid might be onto something there - minor complaint he wants your personal feedback on so he can file it in the trashcan?
I'd likely go, and be sure to take someone with you just in case, someone who is not your relative.

It never hurts to have a backup - someone who can corroborate a conversation if a 'he said she said' situation arises.
I agree with going and taking someone else along to have a witness, preferrably an attorney. Don't volunteer any information other than answering the questions that he asks in the least words as possible. If he doesn't say anything else after you've answered a question, don't elaborate, just wait 'em out until they ask another question.

If they have complaints that relate to harassing waterfowl (whether they are true or not), that's bypassing the state level and going to Federal level.

To me it's strange that they want you to come in vs. coming out to your place, and not telling you why they want you to come in. I don't like that one bit.
Bing, I like to meet problems head on. In your situation, I would call the fellow back and ask him if your attorney needs to be present. Any delay or poor response in answering that question will tell you what you need to know. If you get a good response, suggest a neutral location such as a local coffee shop. Having coffee and some apple pie with the Game Warden might be useful in the future. Pick up the check of course. If you get a bad answer call your attorney and do exactly what he tells you.
Originally Posted By: Bushwacker
In your situation, I would call the fellow back and ask him if your attorney needs to be present........If you get a bad answer call your attorney and do exactly what he tells you

I think this is great advice. I can't recall anyone ever getting into a sticky situation and saying "Gee I wish I hadn't gotten my attorney involved in this on the front end". The warden has not done anything to inspire confidence or trust by giving you so little information and calling you down to his place. Better to be cautious, might be good for a chuckle later if it's nothing, but at least you'll be prepared for the worst.
Bing, Knowing you and that you are what I would consider a very respectable gentleman, very upstanding with common sense, and a professional, I doubt you have done anything illegal. Does your pond overflow into a creek or other water way? Maybe a goofy neighbor called the DNR for some dumb reason? Game wardens can be real vague at times. I think it is in their training. Others have given good opinions. If you have a lawyer call and ask his opinion. If not then take an unrelated witness (friend) with you for the meeting. Keep us updated. Inquiring minds want to know. We all may learn something from this experience.
Posted By: Zep Re: What would you do? Meeting with Game Warden - 06/24/14 12:06 AM
I'd probably meet with him, say very little, mainly just listen.

I might try and get a friend that is an attorney to tag along.

Saying very little works for me in many contested type situations.
If you know Bing, you know he won't be taken advantage of, by anybody.

Well, maybe a grandkid or three.

Seeing the other sage advice given here makes me reconsider my original comments.

I would require that the subject of the meeting be revealed prior to going to his office. If he was coming to me, I'd still be pretty adamant that I know why.

I'm also of the mind set that the Game Warden is a person you need as a friend when you are a land owner. I keep my local Game Warden's cell number in my phone.

Like others said, not so cool on the Warden's part to be so close to the vest.

I may not be able to sleep now....
Posted By: Bing Re: What would you do? Meeting with Game Warden - 06/24/14 12:54 AM
Thank all of you for such good advice. FYI, (and to PMA), I was kidding about the SSS. I don't even own a shovel. The expression, "I have the strength of legions because my heart is pure" comes to my mind because I cannot think of any activity I have done that would cause concern. We do some shooting on my property but the only new neighbor I have, who is 1/4 or miles away, also shoots. I do plan to be represented, but I'm not going to lose any sleep, and hope Sunil doesn't either.
Posted By: JKB Re: What would you do? Meeting with Game Warden - 06/24/14 01:15 AM
It's strange to me that he didn't fill you in on the details, but sounds like someone has a beef with you, and they have concerns.

If it were a real DNR issue, like in MI, they would not be so polite as to call you in advance. You'd have black green vehicles and choppers about. It's the adrenalin rush of busting someone! Maybe this guy is just lazy tho wink but maybe smart and has his prize come to him wink

I would be cautious but go in and scope things out. If things escalate, then I would get the hammers involved. I doubt bringing in any type of witness other than a lawyer will do much good. Don't know what your laws are, but we can legally record stuff like this without notifying the other parties that we are doing this. Only one party needs to know about this, and that's me with the recorder. That's voice tho.

At least is wasn't the FBI out of Chicago. It was real! Long story short. Bought some software on ebay many years ago. Got it and it was a crack code version. Bummed and couldn't use it. Get contacted months later by the FBI. Had me answer a bunch of questions, which I did. Put me in a fraud victim program and wanted me to be available to testify. No problem. Get a letter a few years later that they dropped charges and thanked me for participating.

The real thing about this is the initial contact by the FBI and me finding out it is actually REAL, kinda made me loose some sleep until I found out what's up!
Fred, you've gotten some good advice. Go with representation. The fact that he says there is a complaint, won't tell you what it is and asks you to come to him doesn't make sense. But, it does not sound like they are playing straight up.
Whatever you do... let us know lol
If the GW thinks he's going to intimidate The Bing he's got another thing coming. I still think this isn't going to amount to anything, but my interest sure is piqued.
All of the game wardens I know are truly nice guys. They know that most property owners are conservationists and that few property owners knowingly violate game laws; that pretty much puts property owners and game wardens on the same side.

The game wardens here have a key to my gate and I welcome their occasional visits, feeling that my property is better protected.

Bing, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised when you discover that you're really visiting with a friend whose interests actually parallel your own.
Sorry, I haven't weighed in sooner but life is very busy right now. Anyways, as a law enforcement officer myself, I often get phone calls from friends and family seeking advice about how to deal with police matters.

Most, and I do mean most cops are good honest people who want to do the right thing. Some make mistakes, we are all humans. Then there is that small percentage who are not honest. Combine those who make honest mistakes with those who are "dirty" and well, more than one innocent person has been charged, convicted and punished for a crime they have not committed.

With that being said, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc Now the guy in this video takes things a little too far, but many of the points he makes are extremely valid...

I implore you to speak with an attorney before speakings with this game warden. Particularly since he is being so evasive in answering questions that you asked of him. If he was simply investigating some garbage complaint, I highly doubt he would be so evasive...

At a bare minimum, skip the "witness". The game warden will likely not allow the person to be in on the interview anyways. If you just can't help yourself and wish to speak with the game warden, bring a tape recorder. Advise the game warden you are recording the conversation. If he refuses to allow this, refuse to answer any questions.

If you want more advice, PM me... It's been my experience over the years that game wardens tend to use little discretion. I have no clue why, but they seem to follow the law as written and are very black and white when our world is very gray. So, be careful...

DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney. I am just a dumb uneducated cop.
Rethinking this. I believe that if there was a real problem, the GW would have come to you with either cuffs or a ticket book. He probably has a stupid complaint and knows it. But, he will probably want to just talk to without making an official call.

I think that I would call the guy and ask if I needed to have an Attorney present. Actually, I know damn well that I would call him/her in advance. I would, if needed, have the recorder in my pocket.

I'll bet that they know who and what kind of guy you are. Since it involves you and your land, it will also involve your wife. Take your wife to the meeting. That way, if there is a real problem, you can say she did it and let them arrest her. That way you won't lose your hunting and/or fishing license.
Sounds like you're being punk'd by Ashton Kutcher. Be sure and dress nice for the cameras, and don’t forget to act surprised.
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
... Take your wife to the meeting. That way, if there is a real problem, you can say she did it and let them arrest her. That way you won't lose your hunting and/or fishing license.

I bet she'd love that!

I had a almost retired buddy who was burning sicktime on weekends just before he retired, and he always reported off sick with his wife. He was finally called in to the chief's office and confronted about sicktime abuse. He stepped right up and said he thought his wife was faking her illness, and demanded an internal fire dept. investigation. It was a veteran move IMO. His chief just shook his head, and told him to get out of his damned office.

Bing I'm not sure about IL, but down here, game wardens have carte blanche to do and go anywhere they want. Lot's of good advice given, and let us know how this goes.
Put the shoe on the other foot for a sec.

I know the guys has guns.
He has a large property.

I am going to ask him to come in an see me because he is less likely to meet me with a gun in hand or one behind the door loaded. Don't know this guy but do know he has guns. Could go off nutty easy, might be a puppy dog.

The problem with law enforcement is you need to think of your safety first but manage to get your job done.

I am sure you have nothing to worry about he is just hoping to meet with out guns and on familiar ground to him. Your to comfortable at home. He has many officers coming and going all the time at his office for back up and or help if it escalates.

Cheers Don.
"Take your wife to the meeting. That way, if there is a real problem, you can say she did it and let them arrest her. That way you won't lose your hunting and/or fishing license."

Leave it to David to get down to brass tacks and give the best answer.
Posted By: RC51 Re: What would you do? Meeting with Game Warden - 06/24/14 12:49 PM
Well if your nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away or so I have a hard time wondering what this complaint could be.

I have been visted by the cops a couple of times for shooting at our place as the neighbors reported me. I never had Game and Fish come out or call me for a shooting complaint....

I tell ya I have lived all my life in the city and never had one complaint against me. I buy 12 acres of land out in the country and the cops have come seen me 3 times now.... Stupid neighbors...

Each time the cops are like hey we have to come out here because a complaint has been called in, we can't do anything about it, but we have to come. So the cop sits down with me we BS for a while and he goes on his way.... But my neighbors are like 400 yards away not a 1/4 mile and they get a little pissy at times. The crazy thing is where I have my land I am allowed to actually shoot from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. I was like who needs to be shooting at 10PM?? The rules are quite easy going that's for sure...

Anyway keeps up posted Bing can't wait to hear what this is about.

RC
The only thing I would add to Dave's suggestion about taking your wife is to take mine too. Then you can tell the warden they were both in it together and should each be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Thanks for the laugh this morning Dave.
I smell something fishy like maybe someone is setting you up for a prank.
Posted By: RC51 Re: What would you do? Meeting with Game Warden - 06/24/14 02:02 PM
A prank! Hey yeah maybe they are going to steal your old car you have in the garage when your at the GW's office and your going to be on Overhauling!!!

SWEET!!! smile

Just playing Bing good luck and keep us posted.

RC
Posted By: Bing Re: What would you do? Meeting with Game Warden - 06/24/14 02:18 PM
They can't steal my old car! I'll be drivin' it.
Posted By: RC51 Re: What would you do? Meeting with Game Warden - 06/24/14 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Bing
They can't steal my old car! I'll be drivin' it.

LOL!! laugh laugh
I can't add anything but to say. I hope all works out for you sir, that sure does suck not knowing why!
"Take your wife to the meeting. That way, if there is a real problem, you can say she did it and let them arrest her. That way you won't lose your hunting and/or fishing license."

I knew I liked you for a reason, Guv!!!!
Originally Posted By: Bushwacker

Leave it to David to get down to brass tacks and give the best answer.

+100 - LOL!
In some states when a LEO queries a name, it will flag the person if they have a CCW. If that's the case here, maybe the GW followed established procedure or just exercised (poor) judgement. Just a thought.
Posted By: RC51 Re: What would you do? Meeting with Game Warden - 06/24/14 05:51 PM
The LEO and the CCW with the GW. Wow... Abbreviation overload crazy crazy Dang it. It's so confusing sometimes! smile

RC
OK, I'll have to odd point of view here. I'm going to say that most here have too big of expectations (and imaginations) and will be disappointed (sort of) to find out it was only "this" or just "that". There are dozens of other scenarios that this could be about, not just poor Bing being a suspect in some criminal violation. Heck, his neighbors could be suspects in a criminal investigation and the GW doesn't want to chance going near their place to question Bing as a possible witness. Who knows, it could be lots of different things. Keep us posted Bing.
Personally, I would cancel or refuse unless and until they told me exactly what the purpose and intent is! IF there were any actual complaint, and they were on ANYTHING other than a fishing expedition, the IDNR would be making a visit, not a call. There can't be anything other than their self-serving goals to talk on their turf with you under the guise of a complaint lodged against you, unless they hope to entangle you somehow and have you incriminate yourself somehow.
Bing, how did he get your cell phone number?
Posted By: RC51 Re: What would you do? Meeting with Game Warden - 06/24/14 07:23 PM
I am with RM on this!! The GW's here don't go anywhere alone most times and they have all kinds of authority. I don't see why he would be afraid to visit him at his place... Specially if he has his cell phone to let him know hey I am coming to see you now is that ok? It's not like he has to roll up to Bings with guns blazing the guy has his cell phone number?

Sunil that's a good point? How did he get your cell number? Although he could have ran a check on you and got it that way maybe???

I'm telling here in Arkansas the Game and Fish have as much right as the fricken State Troopers if not more!! Specially during hunting season!!

RC
Posted By: RC51 Re: What would you do? Meeting with Game Warden - 06/24/14 07:28 PM
Here you go. Straight from our Game and Fish website. Wow these guys can petty much do what they want to!!

Wildlife officers are certified law enforcement officers with statewide jurisdiction and full police authority. They are primarily responsible for the enforcement of all AGFC regulations, but are capable of enforcing all state laws as well.
I would have already called them to see what they wanted. Hopefully they want you as a witness or something and its no big deal. Making you stress over this is pretty ridiculous. Its amazing how cops/gw can make you feel like a criminal even if you've done nothing wrong.
Originally Posted By: RC51
I am with RM on this!! The GW's here don't go anywhere alone most times and they have all kinds of authority. I don't see why he would be afraid to visit him at his place... Specially if he has his cell phone to let him know hey I am coming to see you now is that ok? It's not like he has to roll up to Bings with guns blazing the guy has his cell phone number?

Sunil that's a good point? How did he get your cell number? Although he could have ran a check on you and got it that way maybe???

I'm telling here in Arkansas the Game and Fish have as much right as the fricken State Troopers if not more!! Specially during hunting season!!

RC

RC, they have more in AR...Read your fishing/hunting permit. By signing, you authorize AR wardens to search any property, including your person, car, and home, without a warrant.
Posted By: RAH Re: What would you do? Meeting with Game Warden - 06/24/14 09:07 PM
I do not think it is out of line to ask what they want. I would not meet without some kind of explanation.
Posted By: JKB Re: What would you do? Meeting with Game Warden - 06/24/14 10:30 PM
I see a tad bit of fear in most of the comments.
Posted By: RAH Re: What would you do? Meeting with Game Warden - 06/24/14 10:38 PM
Fear of silliness - you bet!
Originally Posted By: JKB
I see a tad bit of fear in most of the comments.

As RAH said, of silliness maybe...and also a healthy skepticism of unexpected, abnormal circumstances and investigative norms...
Here in Texas the Game Warden is probably the most powerful law enforcement officer. In some ways he is a policeman, judge & jury all wrapped up into 1 person. 99% of all LEO are good hardworking folks that deserve our respect. I believe that most of us will agree with the actions of their local Game Wardens.

But on occasion, most of us have run into a LEO that might not be exactly friendly. Add in a mysterious phone call wanting a meeting without any reason being given....well it gives a man an opportunity to ponder what issue has come knocking on the door.

The Boy Scout moto "Always be prepared" comes to mind. Bing has reached out for some advice and I think that he has gotten a good dose of it. Bing appears ready to extend a hand and maybe made a friend or if the situation calls for it he will have legal counsel available.

The issue is likely minor, but it appears Bing will be ready for whatever comes his way.
Rainman, sorry to hear what you're going through! Unfortunately the end game is seldom "oops sorry, we made a mistake". "Some" of those in/with authority (which seems to include all govt agencies) always seem to find their way into our lives (and wallet). Is there a competitor that sees your business growing, that has connections?

As for Bing, we can only hope it's a "no big deal, just wanted to visit with you about the complaint".

So many of us try to live and work with an "out of sight, out of mind" philosophy especially regarding govt agencies, but there's always someone or some group finding a way to meddle!

I certainly wish you both the best!

Well, speaking as a police officer myself, I can't remember a time I couldn't give information of a simple complaint over the phone. I also can't remember a time I couldn't deal with a complaint by attending the residence and speaking with the home owner. This is IF it was only a simple complaint.....

The only time I needed someone to come to the detachment is when recorded interviews were required, but of course I would explain all this on the phone.

There's always the exception, I'm sure there's a good reason.

It Does Sound kinda weird to me bing, good luck man,keep us posted,

J
Posted By: Bing Re: What would you do? Meeting with Game Warden - 06/25/14 12:59 AM
Well it might be time for me to put a cap on my comments. From neighbors, friends, etc. I have learned that I am not the object of their concern. Others have been approached. Although I have an inkling what might be involved I am in no way certain of that, nor in a position to comment.

I have received some great suggestions here and have implemented some of them. I have discussed it extensively with council (before I found that I am not the target). We reviewed nearly every thing I have done that could even approach involvement and there is just nothing there. One other thing, however, that council advised was to make no further comments on social media. When it is all over and if there is nothing to call out or embarrass a friend or neighbor I will make a follow-up.

Thank each of you for your advice and comments. One of the comments, in additional to the legalistic ones, was about getting along with your Game Warden. I have never met this one, and think it will be interesting, I look forward to seeing if we have a civil enough conversation to start a friendly rapport.

One question that several people have asked is how they got my cell phone number. Easy explanation, he called the house when I was gone and my wife thought it was a business call and gave the number to him. He first called me when I was in my car and it is illegal to talk on a cell phone without hands free in Illinois. I answered briefly and ask him to call back. He countered with calling back to my phone messaging with a contact number and I returned his call within the hour.

Thank you all for your interest and your comments. Rainman, whatever your involvement is or has been with the State of Illinois I only wish the best for you. You are a good man.

Connie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding!
Understood Bing! Let us know how things turn out when you can.
Looks like I was in the ball park on this one. Brother Bing is not the subject of an investigation, but perhaps a witness of some sort. You attorney did give you some good advice, that being to lay off on the social media, regarding this topic, at least for now.

Move along folks,.... nothing to see here...... smile
Hope you can fill us in after this is over.. hope it all goes good for you too man..
Is Bing in the slammer? Hope all worked out well buddy..
Bing, what's the word????
I guess he may have to stay silent, perhaps...
Posted By: JKB Re: What would you do? Meeting with Game Warden - 07/02/14 09:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
I guess he may have to stay silent, perhaps...

Those witness protection programs are a tad life changing. I hope they are feeding him well wink

I also hope they aren't looking for the CD Bing sent me of the pics he took at esshups gig last year laugh
Posted By: JKB Re: What would you do? Meeting with Game Warden - 07/02/14 10:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Is Bing in the slammer? Hope all worked out well buddy..

Probably in a work release program by now cleaning up all the litter thrown on the roads wink laugh
The crazy thing is that my younger son and my bride bought me a Father's day gift!

My wife knows Fred and Connie through Pond Boss.

I'm into old radios, old records, amateur radio "boat anchors", etc.

Where did my Father's Day gift come from?? It came from Bing and company!

Thanks Bing and family.

Ken
I think whatever is going on isn't finalized yet, so nothing can be said.
All,
I've actually had some time to read through a bunch of threads today, including this one.
Since it sounds to me like there might be some legal issue lingering out there somewhere, I've chosen to lock this thread and leave it be. I thought about deleting it...which I may still do, but for now I'll leave it up.
I know enquiring minds want to know, as do I, but common sense is suggesting I lock it and leave it be.
© Pond Boss Forum