Pond Boss
Posted By: John Wann Pond Boss VI - 05/21/14 11:05 PM
Few questions before booking.
If wife and daughter come along and stay in room do they have to attend conference? Would wife and daughter be able to eat meals with group?
Wife is not sure if she can go yet, can we book the added meals later? She wants to come but the extra $490 for the two them to attend conference is kind of a blocker for her. Shes just not that into it all. Lol! Anyway I wanna get everything booked up for me. Can I just call office to pay?
Posted By: JKB Re: Pond Boss VI - 05/22/14 12:05 AM
I would think that if you wanted to hit this gig and your family wanted to do other things while you are doing yours, why should they pay to attend?

Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss VI - 05/22/14 01:08 PM
They don't have to attend the conference.

Regarding the meals, I'm sure they can attend, but there may be a fee. I highly doubt the girl has to pay though as she's like 2 or 3 years old by that time.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 05/22/14 02:02 PM
Thanks Sunil. Now do I need to snail mail this form or can I call office to pay?
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 05/22/14 02:04 PM
Wait just found an online form on main page. Thanks.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 05/22/14 02:24 PM
I'm all booked up! You guys got me for two days. Ha! What's up with the Thursday dinner. I didn't see option when checking out. Now to book room. I'll be in cheapest one close to the bar. Lol.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 05/22/14 02:47 PM
Just attempted to book room with number provided in the insert of magazine. They have no group rate as of now for Pond Boss conference. The guy I talked has never heard of it. I tried to get them to transfer me to that particular hotel. He would not. He wanted a code. Is there a code?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss VI - 05/22/14 06:49 PM
No idea on if there' a code.

Can you find the number for the actual hotel location online?
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 05/26/14 12:40 PM
I got the number now Sunil. I'll try calling again tomorrow. Hopefully everything is in system now.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 06/02/14 03:56 AM
Ok. Who all is staying at Hilton. I want to be with the fun afterwards and meet everybody a little better. Still haven't booked room yet.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Pond Boss VI - 06/02/14 11:15 AM
John, I don't know where everybody's planning on staying, but the Hilton allows you to keep the car parked for the whole trip if you like. It's walking distance to lots of restaurants, shopping, and a movie theater. Neat little area.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss VI - 06/02/14 12:41 PM
I will stay wherever the main event is, so if that's the Hilton, so be it.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Pond Boss VI - 06/02/14 12:59 PM
Too early for me to know whether I will be alone or not, but most likely will also be at the Hilton.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Pond Boss VI - 06/02/14 01:20 PM
Sunil, I know you're on a fixed budget, so there's an outlet beef jerky place close to the hotel. I'm not brave enough to try beef jerky that didn't make the original cut, so I'd appreciate you checking it out, and letting me know if it's ok.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 06/02/14 01:32 PM
Thanks everybody. I just got booked up at Hilton Thursday through Saturday night. $149 a night. The number to that Hilton 214-771-3700. I'm going to load up on jerkey. Lol.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 06/02/14 01:39 PM
Rex they had two choices. King or double bed. I just booked double bed because I'm not sure if wife is going yet. If she doesn't I'll be looking for carpoolers and selling that bed. Lol.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 06/02/14 01:40 PM
Both types of rooms were same price. You don't even have to pay now if you don't want too. That's rare.
Posted By: esshup Re: Pond Boss VI - 06/02/14 02:17 PM
I just made the reservation, and have the confirmation number.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Pond Boss VI - 06/02/14 02:24 PM
I won't be able to make it, so be sure and post lots of photos!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss VI - 06/02/14 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Sunil, I know you're on a fixed budget, so there's an outlet beef jerky place close to the hotel. I'm not brave enough to try beef jerky that didn't make the original cut, so I'd appreciate you checking it out, and letting me know if it's ok.

Well, you know, Texans are good at this kind of thing. I love barbequed Pork Rinds. Last time I was in Houston, I was buying some beer, and I saw the familiar, joyous packaging of bbq Pork Rinds. To my surprise, this somewhat smaller bag was called "Pork Cracklins." This was a bag of all the smaller pieces of Pork Rind!!!

Way to use the leftovers!!

Anyway, FIH/Al, thanks for thinking of me!!
Posted By: Rainman Re: Pond Boss VI - 06/02/14 05:22 PM
Originally Posted By: John Wann
Rex they had two choices. King or double bed. I just booked double bed because I'm not sure if wife is going yet. If she doesn't I'll be looking for carpoolers and selling that bed. Lol.

I guess I could rent out tank holes in the new truck....IF you sleep in the fetal position!
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 06/02/14 06:01 PM
Excellent idea Rex. Sucks you can't make it Tony. I'll be sure to take lots of pics. Beer and beef jerkey. Sounds like a party Sunil.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Pond Boss VI - 06/02/14 06:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
...Anyway, FIH/Al, thanks for thinking of me!!

I'll be thinking of you at least until the 25th.

That didn't sound creepy did it?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss VI - 06/02/14 08:38 PM
Yes, it did. Dreamboat Annie....
Posted By: JKB Re: Pond Boss VI - 06/02/14 11:35 PM

Well, you know, Texans are good at this kind of thing. I love barbequed Pork Rinds. Last time I was in Houston, I was buying some beer, and I saw the familiar, joyous packaging of bbq Pork Rinds. To my surprise, this somewhat smaller bag was called "Pork Cracklins." This was a bag of all the smaller pieces of Pork Rind!!!

Way to use the leftovers!!

Anyway, FIH/Al, thanks for thinking of me!!

For Cracklins, you need to exit Texas and go a tad more East. They are way more efficient at making the leftovers work wink
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 07/01/14 03:29 PM
What the best type of fishing for that time of year on the lake? I'll be fresh off a 7 day cruise through Mexico and western carribean. I'll be ready for some fishing. May bring kayak or just bank fish. Depending on if I fly or drive. Thinking driving would be best option. 9 hours from the house. After driving to airport and flying I'm looking at 5 hours travel time. So it's kinda no brainer.
Posted By: esshup Re: Pond Boss VI - 07/01/14 04:08 PM
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Pond Boss VI - 07/01/14 07:56 PM
John, if you decide to bring your yak, get an account and ask the guys on TFF about Hubbard. Very strong yak community down here.

There are several good marinas to fish close to the Hotel. Chandler's Landing comes to mind.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/27/1/Kayak_Fishing

Make sure they know you're from out of state, and will only be here a day or two. That might increase your odds of getting a helpful PM.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 07/02/14 02:18 AM
I'm thinking about bringing shallow water flat bottom Jon with jet outboard. That's how we roll around here. Not sure yet. Is there catfish in lake in walking distance? Cold beer and cat fishing suit me just fine. I always heard stories of big catfish in Texas.
Posted By: bcotton Re: Pond Boss VI - 07/02/14 04:30 AM
The shore where the hotel is is very developed. Lots of restaurants and bars, some have docks so you can drive up from the lake. I am sure you can find an area to cast a line but it's probably not the best area to fish from shore.

Also, the lake is 8' low right now. Hopefully it will be better conditions by the time pb6 rolls around.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pond Boss VI - 07/02/14 11:47 AM
If you bring a motorized boat, it will have to be licensed by TPWD.
Posted By: Zep Re: Pond Boss VI - 07/02/14 01:07 PM
Is there catfish in lake in walking distance? Cold beer and cat fishing suit me just fine. I always heard stories of big catfish in Texas.

A couple of my buddies drift fish for catfish
on Lake Ray Hubbard and they do quite well.
They use live shad or chicken breast.
They like the area around Roberts Park
near Dalrock Road and Interstate 30.
Posted By: Zep Re: Pond Boss VI - 07/02/14 01:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
If you bring a motorized boat, it will have to be licensed by TPWD.

So if someone from Oklahoma comes down to fish at Lake Fork for a weekend they have to get a license for their boat from Texas?
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 07/02/14 08:57 PM
That's weird. I've taken my boat that is licensed in my state to other states and never had to get them to license it. I'll just bring yak or bank fish. Thanks guys for info.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Pond Boss VI - 07/02/14 11:53 PM
Copied from TPWD FAQ site:

Can I use my boat in Texas if it is registered in another state?

If you have a boat registered or titled in your name in another state you may operate the vessel up to 90 consecutive days with current out-of-state registration.
Posted By: Zep Re: Pond Boss VI - 07/15/14 02:28 PM
I was at the "Rockwall Harbor" this past Sunday
eating with a big family group at Gloria's Restaurant.

The Harbor @ Rockwall is such a nice place and will be a
great spot for the upcoming Pond Boss Conference.

http://www.theharboratrockwall.com/
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 07/17/14 02:24 AM
So how do I register my boat for Texas? Normally any state I take my boat to is legal being registered in my state.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 07/17/14 02:25 AM
Just seen your post Rex.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Pond Boss VI - 07/17/14 12:00 PM
Mark(Zep), Gloria's is good. I still remember when they had the original place in an old filling station in Oak Cliff. They've come a long way since then.
Posted By: Zep Re: Pond Boss VI - 07/17/14 02:14 PM
Al I didn't know that Gloria's started in Oak Cliff.

I love Gloria's Tilapia and frozen margaritas.

We had 26 people there Sunday...I thought I might
have to return to one of my old high school first
jobs as a dishwasher and wash a few dishes to get
out of there!
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/07/14 12:38 AM
Well the wife is prego. We can't board cruise ship at that many weeks so this is now my vacation. I'm going to drive to the Alamo while I'm that far south. Can't wait to see everybody again.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/07/14 01:10 AM
Congratulations, John!
Posted By: esshup Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/07/14 01:24 AM
Congrats!!

John, when I was in Dallas a few years back, I thought of doing the same thing. It was much better to fly to San Antonio, rent a car, and do some sightseeing than to drive there. You don't realize exactly how large Texas is....... I didn't.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/07/14 01:51 AM
Congrats John!
Posted By: Rainman Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/07/14 02:33 AM
Congrats John...about a 6-8 hour drive to the Alamo from DFW from what I recall
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/07/14 02:39 AM
A very precise reply, Rex...
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/07/14 01:35 PM
John congrats, and if you do drive to San Antonio, hit Round Rock Donuts. Be sure and pack an insulin pump if you do.
Posted By: highflyer Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/07/14 04:40 PM
Well this might not be the exact right time......

But.....

George is going to attend the ice breaker!!!!

6-8 pm. He will most likely get there a little early and he will stay as long as his energy holds out!!!
Posted By: Bing Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/07/14 06:18 PM
Having George attend the Ice Breaker is wonderful news. We have missed him at the conferences held in Missouri. He is one of the finest.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/07/14 07:11 PM
Hear, here!!!
Posted By: esshup Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/07/14 11:52 PM
Good! I was hoping someone would drag him there so I wouldn't have to. wink grin
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/08/14 12:34 AM
It's a huge state. Two days added to see Alamo. I think I will head down to Alamo first and then head back in time for Thursday. Can't wait. Where is that 3 pound steak?
Posted By: Zep Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/08/14 01:33 AM
Where is that 3 pound steak?

The 4.5 lb steak.."eat it in an hour & it's free"...is in Amarillo,Texas.

I was there Tues night, but did not take the 72 oz challenge.
Big Texan Steak Ranch - Amarillo, Texas

Some lady from Nebraska ate two of them and holds the record.

I took this picture Tues night...one big steak!

Posted By: JKB Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/09/14 02:58 AM
That was crazy!
Posted By: esshup Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/09/14 05:27 AM
Why waste time cutting the meat into pieces when you have a set of knives between your lips that will make perfect sized pieces??
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/09/14 04:45 PM
Molly Schuyler, doing us Nebraskan's,,,, um,,,, proud? grin

And congratulations, John on the new upcoming arrival!
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/09/14 05:02 PM
Man that's like eatin a whole roadkill Opposum!!!
Posted By: highflyer Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/10/14 12:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Man that's like eatin a whole roadkill Opposum!!!

Twice.......
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/10/14 12:30 PM
John, it only takes about an hour to see the Alamo. It just isn't that big.

Other San Antone sights include the Lone Star Brewery with it's Hall of Horns showing big bucks mounted. Lone Star is called the official beer of Texas but I think it tastes about the same going down as it does coming up.

There's also the Mercado(market) where you can purchase Mexican stuff made in India or China. They do have some nice leather stuff made in Mexico but buyer beware.

Next to the Mercado is a dang good Mexican food restaurant with some interesting margaritas that you better not drive after having a couple of them.

The River Walk cuts through a part of town that has a lot of places to stay, eat, people watch, and imbibe. The weather may or may not be pleasant at that time. That's always a crap shoot here.

Actually I like to drive out West of town in the ranching areas.
Posted By: george1 Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/10/14 12:57 PM
Visit Fredricksburg and WWII Nimitz museum - home of WWII Admiral Nimitz.
Stay off of I35 - take the Hill Country route from SA back to Dallas!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/10/14 02:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
...Next to the Mercado is a dang good Mexican food restaurant with some interesting margaritas that you better not drive after having a couple of them...

DD1, Mi Tierra's is good, and IMO they have the best Mexican bakery in town. They're open 24/7 for those that need a Mexican food fix at 3-4 in the morning. The Hill Country is an amazing part of TX. Anybody that gets a chance to visit that area should not miss that opportunity.

Also, any of you that are coming to the conference, please feel free to ask about shopping or restaurant options in the Dallas area. The host hotel has plenty to do within walking distance, but if you want to get out and see some TX history that's fairly close to the conference location, then hit I30 west to Ft Worth. That is unless visiting one of ten thousand bank lobby's interests you.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/10/14 02:40 PM
Thanks Al; I couldn't remember the name.

BTW, if you enjoy eating something unique; I can't recommend any Mexican food made of goat meat. I've tried several times it's tough and stringy stuff.
Posted By: ewest Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/10/14 04:47 PM
Dave you should know a good BbQ place for him !
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/11/14 11:43 AM
As you know Eric, I know a dang good BBQ place but it's only open on Friday and Saturday.

But, there are a lot of good ones here.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/11/14 01:34 PM
Dave, the hottest BBQ place in Dallas right now is the Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum. Friends that have eaten there say it is the best smoked meet they've ever had. But, I'm more impressed with the guy's business savvy. PL is selling Thanksgiving smoked turkeys for over $100 a piece. I'm not sure what the markup is on turkeys that are almost being given away right now, but I guarantee you he'll sell out.

I just laughed when I saw the prices. I ordered mine from Greenberg's, just like I always do.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/11/14 02:16 PM
WOW! $100 per. And all so somebody can see the label.
Posted By: Zep Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/11/14 03:00 PM
All this talk of delicious turkey and I am having
Thanksgiving with my brother in San Fran who is a vegetarian.

cry
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/11/14 03:10 PM
Zep
Eat thanksgiving turkey the week before so u can have your fix!

Pat W
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/11/14 03:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Zep
All this talk of delicious turkey and I am having
Thanksgiving with my brother in San Fran who is a vegetarian.

cry

Mark, you're more than welcome to come eat Thanksgiving dinner with us. We will have formerly breathing critters to eat.

But, I would leave my wallet locked up in the car. My wife's side of the family, affectionately known as the Clampetts, will be here.
Posted By: Zep Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/11/14 03:34 PM
Ha Ha...thanks Al!

Good idea Pat!
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/29/14 06:21 PM
Thanks Al and everybody else. Maybe I'll just cut the sightseeing out and focus on conference area. That jerky shop has my attention. Lol. It looks like a pretty neat area. Need to get anchors on my new boat. Not sure how it will do on that lake? Is it pretty choppy down there?
Posted By: Rainman Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/29/14 07:13 PM
John, I make most of my own jerky, snack sticks and sausages, but the jerky this place sells is incredible, and well worth the price! https://woodys-smokehouse.com/
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/29/14 10:01 PM
I would love to find some beef jerky that was both flavorful (good), and tender. Now I realize that the nature of jerky is to be somewhat tough, but most of what I've bought so far is ridiculous. I think I could marinate strips cut from an old pair of leather workboots and get a better quality product than all the stuff I've tried so far. And over the last few months, I've tried a lot.

The best store brand I've run across is Duke's Island Teriyaki...I've tried his other flavors and have not been impressed, but the ONE package of island terry I've found was incredible. Great flavor, and nearly melt in your mouth tender. ONE package....never found it again.

Does anyone else know of a tender, delicious jerky?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/29/14 11:18 PM
The original Slim Jim's Beef Jerky is at the top of the list.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/30/14 12:48 AM
I like some good deer jerky but won't get any out of that fawn. Mussel loading season is in focus.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/30/14 12:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
Molly Schuyler, doing us Nebraskan's,,,, um,,,, proud? grin

And congratulations, John on the new upcoming arrival!

Thanks. We are very excited.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Pond Boss VI - 11/30/14 12:10 PM
...It looks like a pretty neat area. Need to get anchors on my new boat. Not sure how it will do on that lake? Is it pretty choppy down there?

John, it can get very choppy if the wind comes out of the SW. But, if you want to fish for LMB, I30 crosses Ray Hubbard twice, so there's lot's of protected rip rap to fish, and the marina's are pretty well protected also.

If you're wanting HSB, then there's always a boat show going on South of the I30 bridge, so they're available for fun too.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 12/01/14 02:50 AM
...It looks like a pretty neat area. Need to get anchors on my new boat. Not sure how it will do on that lake? Is it pretty choppy down there?

John, it can get very choppy if the wind comes out of the SW. But, if you want to fish for LMB, I30 crosses Ray Hubbard twice, so there's lot's of protected rip rap to fish, and the marina's are pretty well protected also.

If you're wanting HSB, then there's always a boat show going on South of the I30 bridge, so they're available for fun too.

Sounds awesome. I fish for what's biting. My gamefish being all species of catfish.
Trot-line being one of favorite ways.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/10/15 12:53 AM
Glad I just called to confirm my stay at Hilton. I booked at anouncement and they had me checking out before noon on Saturday. All fixed now. When I origally called they didn't even know what Pond Boss was for discount. Check in Thursday after 3 and check out Sunday before noon. $505.
Posted By: esshup Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/10/15 01:22 AM
I called last week to verify my rooms because I never received a confirmation. They had the wrong e-mail addy.....
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/10/15 02:37 PM
Which cruise is everybody going on Friday night. I booked on first one. Hope I didn't miss the party barge. Excitement building!
Posted By: Cisco Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/10/15 03:55 PM
I just told them I wanted on one of the boat rides. She told me OK so I'll have to figure it out when I get there I guess.
Posted By: Cisco Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/10/15 08:33 PM
I just want to be on the one that FireisHot is going to be on so I can watch him on an inner tube doing a handstand! Where is JHAP anyway, this would be right up his alley from what I've read.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/17/15 11:40 PM
My friend riding down with now has a sever UTI. He can no longer make it. The search is on now for last minute ride with. May just have to make the drive solo. 2 more days!
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/18/15 02:36 AM
What's the weather forecast for this weekend?
Posted By: Bing Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/18/15 03:28 AM
Thursday high 64, low 54 Tournament day Thursday warmer than Wednesday.

Friday high 72, low 63

Saturday high 73, low 39

Sunday High 50, low 32
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/18/15 04:34 AM
Thanks, Bing. See ya soon...
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/18/15 02:05 PM
Weighing options on driving or flying. What's the best airport. Travelocity has several airports in Dallas. Looks like around $500 with rental car round. Don't see any shuttles.
Posted By: Cisco Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/18/15 02:21 PM
John,
Either DFW or Love Field. That's about it. There is a small airport in Addison but I don't think anything commercial lands there.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/18/15 03:37 PM
Thanks Cisco. I'm leaning toward booking a flight since freind can't make it. I just don't care for flying with the over abundant security.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/18/15 10:03 PM
Anybody know if the dinners are formal? T-shirt and jeans fine? I'm hopping in rice burner at 5 am. 8 hour 37 minute trip. Going to shoot on making it under 9.
Posted By: Sue Cruz Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/18/15 10:21 PM
Who's here??? I know I am, Patrick from my company, and John Wilson and Dave Ryks from AQUA DOC. Grimes should be here soon. Guess I'll hit the bar and find out ....
Posted By: Bing Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/18/15 11:48 PM
Had to change our flight from getting there today, to coming in tomorrow (Thursday). Should be at the hotel around 2:00. Maybe I can catch the weigh-in.
Posted By: BrianL Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/19/15 12:09 AM
Anybody know if the dinners are formal? T-shirt and jeans fine? I'm hopping in rice burner at 5 am. 8 hour 37 minute trip. Going to shoot on making it under 9.

X2 wondering myself on Saturday banquet
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/19/15 01:42 AM
T-shirts are a bit light for dinner. That's just a general thing. There's no formal PB code.

Same as Bing for arrival times for me.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/19/15 01:48 AM
Sunil, I'll be there at 12:15 (Amer 3697). Still meeting at Avis counter?
When do you arrive?
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/19/15 02:30 AM
Thanks Sunil, its seems I'm always way underdressed or weigh overdressed.
Posted By: Bing Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/19/15 04:39 AM
Connie and I are getting to DFW at around 12;30. AA Flt 96 from STL. Renting from Enterprise.

Was scheduled to come in from NVL today. Had to cancel that and come in from STL on Thursday. Good thing too, NVL is an ice encrusted mess. Our flight from NVL was canceled we'd likely be stranded in Music City.
Posted By: esshup Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/19/15 05:34 AM
I checked into the room at 10:30 pm Wed. Breakfast is at 6:30 a.m. See whoever is here then!!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/19/15 10:54 AM
Leaving for the airport now.

A balmy zero degrees here.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/19/15 12:25 PM
Hitting the road now. Overslept.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/19/15 01:05 PM
I wish everybody a safe trip to N TX. Roads are clear, and a nice warmup until Saturday. We dodged a weather bullet here. Monday has snow in the forecast.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/19/15 08:19 PM
TJ popped down before the conference for a little fishing time.

First CNBG on a fly rod for TJ. On a cold windy TX February day no less.

9 pound LMB
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/19/15 08:36 PM
Suffering severe fish envy right now.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/19/15 09:09 PM
I made it. Nice TJ!
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/19/15 09:46 PM
I have an extra ticket for ice breaker and cruise if somebody needs one. Otherwise it will go to waste.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/19/15 11:57 PM
lightweight fleece outerwear, flowers blooming in the background, water in liquid form, no sign of frostbite on exposed fingers, rod guides not iced over completely....where's the challenge in that???

Congrats Al and TJ, great reason for both of you to be absolutely pumped!
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/20/15 01:10 AM
only I could stick my key card in at a Hilton door and it eat it. Whole new lock instaltion now. If I wasn't complete nasty from rolling out of bed late with no shower I would head to ice breaker. Maybe I'll see a few at bar after dinner. I've ran into Sunil and Otto so far.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/20/15 02:18 AM
only I could stick my key card in at a Hilton door and it eat it. Whole new lock instaltion now. If I wasn't complete nasty from rolling out of bed late with no shower I would head to ice breaker. Maybe I'll see a few at bar after dinner. I've ran into Sunil and Otto so far.

We may be kindred spirits. I got hung in an elevator that ate my card...and I needed to pee!
Posted By: Tbar Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/20/15 03:48 AM
It was a beautiful day here today......high was 58.

Great sunset over the lake as viewed from my bar-stool at the Hilton.

grin grin grin
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/20/15 04:03 AM
Salute
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/20/15 05:26 AM
It ain't over
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/20/15 02:36 PM
Posted By: Tbar Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/20/15 02:43 PM
Bob, Mike and Dave(RIP)

Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/20/15 03:57 PM
Fire alarms. Everybody out. TJ where you at?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/20/15 04:07 PM
What's for lunch today?
Posted By: ewest Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/20/15 09:24 PM
on the way - there by 8 . Have some auction items.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/20/15 09:27 PM
Please keep all us backsliders and those only present in spirit updated. Thanks bunches.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/20/15 11:48 PM
Gettin' ready for a Missouri boat ride.....
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/21/15 12:01 AM
Gettin' ready for a Missouri boat ride.....

I think you're in the wrong state Sunil! shocked

Isn't the conference in Texas? grin
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/21/15 12:28 AM
Cecil, I'm here on the boat with Sunil and believe me, he is in Missouri.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/21/15 02:14 AM
I should of brought boat Sunil. Me you and TJ would be fishing or possibly drowning right now. Ha!
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/21/15 02:34 AM
This dude is alright.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/21/15 02:41 AM
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/21/15 02:40 PM
A lot of us have never had the pleasure of meeting other PBF members. Any chance somebody at the conference could post a photo or two and identify who is who in the pics?
Posted By: JKB Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/21/15 02:59 PM
Oh Crap, don't do it!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/21/15 06:57 PM
In the pic above, from left to right, Todd Overton, myself, FireIsHot/Allen Hall, Heather-Wife of highflyer, DaveDavidson-Guvnor, highflyer, and John Wann.
Posted By: snrub Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/21/15 07:02 PM
Dave looks like he is contemplating chugging those five drinks in front of him. grin
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/21/15 08:51 PM
I gotta burn out guys. I'm alive. Have fun tonight.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/22/15 12:59 AM
??? You ok?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/22/15 01:22 AM
In the pic above, from left to right, Todd Overton, myself, FireIsHot/Allen Hall, Heather-Wife of highflyer, DaveDavidson-Guvnor, highflyer, and John Wann.

Thank You sir! Funny though, I had Dave pictured as a 10 shot kinda guy! grin
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/22/15 06:07 AM
Made it.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/22/15 06:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
??? You ok?

Everything was great! It was fun getting to see everybody. We some ice and wife has to get on flight to Omaha for a conference in the morning. Makes everything easier being back home with our sick child. Like to never got up our drive with the ice on top of snow. Awesome time. Can't wait for another get together.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/22/15 07:20 AM
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/22/15 07:26 AM
Got more. I'll upload them in the morning.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/22/15 10:09 AM
I saw trouble coming and left the bar after the 2nd round of tequila shots. And, it was Silver Patron, a damned good top shelf tequila. Sunil thought we needed the first round, John bought the 2nd round and I decided that any more South of the border whiskey could be too much of a good thing. Too much of that stuff can result in fights between good friends.

BTW, anybody that doesn't really understand tequila needs to go to Maria's in Santa Fe. Or, just buy their book. You may or may not regret this advice.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/22/15 12:57 PM
Originally Posted By: JKB
Oh Crap, don't do it!

DD1 has that "I know better, but.." look on his face.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/22/15 01:24 PM
For those of you returning home today, be safe. Snow's supposed to hit tomorrow, so the timing of the conference couldn't have been better.

It had been a while since I attended a PB conference, but I obviously forgot how much fun and educational they can be. Hooked back up with some very good friends, and met lots of new, but regular posters. I won't miss another one.
Posted By: Tbar Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/22/15 03:32 PM
For those of you returning home today, be safe. Snow's supposed to hit tomorrow, so the timing of the conference couldn't have been better.

It had been a while since I attended a PB conference, but I obviously forgot how much fun and educational they can be. Hooked back up with some very good friends, and met lots of new, but regular posters. I won't miss another one.

Ah yes, the spectacle of watching us Texans drive on ice.....those northern guys should hang around at the hotel and watch the freeway over the lake tomorrow. smile

I enjoyed meeting everyone also and especially my north east Texas neighbors.
Posted By: Cisco Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/22/15 04:17 PM
It was a good time for sure. I had to get out early so I missed Saturday but the time I was there was fun. I'll definitely be at the next one. I even learned a few things!
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/22/15 05:50 PM
I could not believe how many people I met that have never even got on the forum or heard of it. Met a few that they were pretty much lurkers as one man put it, they knew me from forum. Not sure how people are not finding forum. Most said they are going to look into the forum. That's how I found out about magazine was the forum after Googling how to fix leaking pond. Then I discoved the mag and the wealth of information. All the advice over last few years. That's where the Pond Boss family aspect realy comes in I beleive. Through the forum. Maybe somebody will put an artical in one of the future magazines about the forum.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/22/15 06:03 PM
Girls from office.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/22/15 06:04 PM
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/22/15 09:21 PM
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/22/15 09:49 PM
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/22/15 09:49 PM
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 02:03 AM

I hope these two are still speaking after Saturday night. Things were getting heated close to midnight, and Mr. Gin and Mr. Vodka were doing most of the talking.

I bailed and left Aussie Scotty and his woman, Natalie, and ran for the hills.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 02:03 AM
What's the shelf life of lunch yesterday. I carried mine back in truck and I'm hungry.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 02:07 AM
Got to meet Cisco and Zep in person. Both fine Texas gentlemen, and worth every effort to meet in person again.

TGW/Tracy, I saw you talking to Al/FireIsHot a few times and came over to introduce myself, but never got it done. My loss.

I think we'll see a new forum participant, Erik, who has 'discovered' us at the forum.

Met several other like-minded people who do not participate in the forum.

After all of these PB conferences, I've concluded that some will never come to the forum, even after expressing interest. It just seems to be a 'do or don't' with most folks.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 02:08 AM
I met a lot of new faces, but not as many as I wanted Like John Wann -- somehow I missed you.

But, especially for the active forum members I'd never met before, it sure was fun to put a face with a name. And, I must say, all those I met for the first time really fit the mold of being great people like we so much like about the forum group.

We wife and I had a fantastic time at every turn.

Bob Lusk, Mike Otto, their families, and the staff of Bob and Mike sure outdid themselves. They all put an incredible amount of work into the conference, and it showed. As usual, Debbie made sure the spouses had a fun time going shopping and lunching. Oh, and the delicious cajun cracklins at the PB registration desk.

For Lynda and me, the other thing that really stood out was the hotel/restaraunt staff, and the quality of the food. The two meals we had in the restaraunt were fabulous. But, something that was a real first for Lynda and me, were the hugs we got from staff as we were getting ready to leave. The hotel staff also really aided in helping make it great.

Lynda and Ken G.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 02:11 AM
Uh, that was me hugging you and Lynda, Ken.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 02:19 AM
How did I miss commando. Impossible. Lol. I was all around. Did you even see me? Dang now we got an excuse for next get together. I met so many people I only knew by handles on here it's confusing. Got a lot of hey it's John Wann. I was in sort of a haze in evening after 8. Hope to meet next time commando. Sunil greeted me right off bat like family and got to know TJ and Al better. It was a blast. Dave was cool as heck too. Another real deal guy. Enjoyed the time spent.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 02:32 AM
Sittng at table with Bob and girls from office. Bruce,Sunil and TJ was present. Bob told a great story and had a glass of Scotch. I told him I've only ever drank Johnny Walker Red. He slid the glass over for me a sip. I'll never forget that. He ask me what Pond Boss was to me. I said Family. Took a sip of the smoothest scotch I've ever tasted. No burn. The a great maple flavor came down both sides of tongue a few seconds later. I think I would gag drinking Johnny now. Bobs the real deal. Cool guy as I've found with most people from the forum. We come from all over but are connected by a great topic. Ponds and management.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 02:37 AM
I also met a lot of people and in two days, I had lunch with some good people from Iowa, and Ark, and Mo along with a Dr. from the town I grew up in Okla. And W.& E. Texas and Nebraska, W.Vg, La and on and on. Sunil u r one, along with others I wanted to meet but did not get to. I picked many a brain while there Al. smile I am glad I attended for the people and the answer's I got to my questions asked and not asked.
Tracy
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 02:45 AM
Forgot to mention meeting DJ Stauder and his wife, Jodi. Both the best of sorts.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 02:51 AM
The fed Ex guy. I beleive high flyer and his wife. They were cool. He kept reminding me of that movie cast way for some reason. The intro to movie. Thanks high flyer for making sure my packages arrive a day early.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 02:55 AM
Who was the guy I was drinking miller light with most of the time at bar? He was the only one I seen before burning out. No TJ, Sunil or Al to be found. I drank beer with him every evening after conferance. No pics or name I remember.
Posted By: esshup Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 03:49 AM
I apologize to the people that I didn't meet. I really, really wanted to put some faces with the names, and then got involved with the on-line auction and had tunnel vision. Time goes so fast at the conference that 2 1/2 days doesn't just seem to be long enough.
Posted By: Zep Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 04:23 AM
Glad we had good temperatures for the Pond Boss Conference and hopefully everyone could get back home before things get crazy around here this week. People are already freaking out here in Dallas...of course the local media happily plays into the doom
and gloom.

It was in the 60's & 70's for the PondBoss conference Fri/Sat
and now Monday Feb 23 in Dallas at my office we have some ice/snow.

Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 05:46 AM
I seen you Scott. You wa preoccupied. I meant to meet up.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 12:21 PM
John, like you, I've never liked scotch. What was that stuff? I have a lot of hooch that I never mess with. My bar has everything but vodka. Even the most expensive vodka tastes like turpentine to me. Some of that stuff like gin and bourbon have been there for years.

In the summer I'll have a couple of beers but not many. And I'm the guy that used to keep the breweries on overtime.

Year around, I enjoy tequila/margaritas but only the over priced stuff.

When the temps really drop, I mostly prefer De Kuypers apricot brandy; and only the apricot. All the rest I consider pretty nasty mouth wash. When I take a drink of it, I can feel warmth spreading out to my fingers and down to my toes. But you have to approach it with caution. If you get over heated, you can fall out of tree stands and bass boats.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 12:46 PM
I'm going to get me some that tequila. It was much better than Jose. We didn't have to chase it with pickle juice. Not sure it's a thing every where but that's how we do it in the hills. Lol. Cabo Wabo was the next best I've had. Fun times.
Posted By: Zep Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 04:18 PM
My first Pond Boss Conference was enjoyable & educational.
Great job Bob Lusk, staff, and all the speakers.

Good to finally meet some guys from the message board like Sunil,
Cisco, Tbar, TJ, DJStauder, Catmandoo, Bruce Condello, and others.

Also nice to see old Texas friends like FireIsHot, HighFlyer & wife,
Dave Davidson, King George, Todd Overton, Chris Steelman, Mike Otto & others.
Can't believe I missed Rainman frown

I too was a bit surprised how many conference attendees
were not even aware of the message board. Maybe a full
page of the magazine every month should be dedicated
to encouraging message board membership. Show
snap-shots of discussions and how easy it is to join.

Tbar, HighFlyer, Zep

Yes...I now want one of these by Outdoor Water Solutions!

Zep and the main man Bob Lusk

HighFlyer's interesting lecture on Solar

(Soon to be TV star) Nate's lecture

Fire Alarm evacuation (someone said they saw Sunil pull Fire Alarm switch...lol)
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 06:45 PM
Grateful to meet at long last:

Cisco, DJStauder +1, George, TGW1, and Zep

Bummed I missed meeting Pat W, TBAR, Bryan from Michigan and others.

Good to further develop friendships with Highflyer team, Viva El Wann, and my other PB bros. Miss you guys already.

Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 06:49 PM
"Viva El Wann"

Oh sh*t!! That's gonna stick!
Posted By: djstauder Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 06:57 PM
Thanks to everyone who took valuable time to spend with Jodi and me.

I am grateful to meet so many people at the conference... As Jodi said, "the people you meet at the Pond Boss Conferences are just nice people" Reminds me of going camping where everyone you meet is friendly and helpful.

I was also surprised by how many were not on the forum. I "converted" two, tho. Ben Franks and nice fellow from Indy I met at the bar whose last name (I think) was Jack.

I heard rumors that TJ exploded a M-80 on one of the Fire Alarm pulls??? This is possible just a urban legend started at Pond Boss V!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 08:12 PM
Dan...great to meet you and Jodi. Excited to see some bird photos soon, too.

Lastly - two corrections to your last comment:

1. I don't waste my time with anything as small as an M80.

2. I had nothing to do with the fire alarm, and wasn't getting out of bed for anything short of flames coming through the floor. I figured I was safe to wait it out with a fire escape pretty close by.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 08:24 PM
What was it deceased comedian Tim Wilson used to say during his act...

"A good M-80 would blow a mailbox completely over top of a house...I later found out that was a federal offense"

"You drop a lit M-80 into a lake, fish will jump in the boat, bait your hook, and fish with ya"

The GOOD M-80's. Not that sissy stuff they have now.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 08:59 PM
Lol!
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/23/15 09:06 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Dan...great to meet you and Jodi. Excited to see some bird photos soon, too.

Lastly - two corrections to your last comment:

1. I don't waste my time with anything as small as an M80.

2. I had nothing to do with the fire alarm, and wasn't getting out of bed for anything short of flames coming through the floor. I figured I was safe to wait it out with a fire escape pretty close by.

I saw everybody outside during alarm but TJ.
Posted By: djstauder Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/24/15 07:23 PM
Wow, TJ, the circumstantial evidence is starting to mount! hehe
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/24/15 08:27 PM
Most kids, at one time or another, played "Spin the Bottle."

TJ played "Toss the M-80."
Posted By: ewest Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/24/15 09:34 PM
So did a lot of other kids !!!
Posted By: djstauder Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/25/15 02:52 PM
Before we realized (or cared?) it would blow your hand off!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/25/15 03:42 PM
By the time I was born [1970], Cherry Bombs, M-80s and Silver Salutes were all banned in NE. However, my Dad told me some stories about his youth in the 1950s that were downright crazy. I've always been a sucker for a great fireworks show - the artistry and science involved to create propulsion, spark effects, whistles, and different colors fascinates me. On the other hand, the concussion from a nice flash powder explosion is also pretty addicting - but obviously requires a lot of respect and caution.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/25/15 04:28 PM
Once upon a time, a long time ago, somebody went around to a lot of the restrooms at a local college and flushed some lit m80's down the toilets. The results were both predictable and astounding. No idea how many worked(stayed lit) and didn't. It wasn't me.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Pond Boss VI - 02/25/15 06:04 PM
It was great to see and catch up with some I now at the conference! I hate that I got called away for a lot of it and did not get to meet many more I hoped to see there! The weather was great for most of the conference and I had to go to Houston to check a place on Sunday. Left Dallas with the cold front hitting and it was 41, about 30 miles north of Houston (250 miles south of Dallas), the temps which had climbed to about 50, suddenly jumped to 83....next morning, 10 hours later, it was 39....

Great job Bob!

PS Dave....I recall an M-80 dropping into, and being flushed down a junior high toilet.....it was as school let out for the summer and I never saw the damage, but it was a whole new look the next fall when classes resumed!! shocked
© Pond Boss Forum