Pond Boss
Posted By: Steve Robertson What is on this golden shiner! - 05/18/14 01:41 AM
I stocked these GSH,FHM, and RES a month ago. I have been feeding and seeing the FHM, but they haven't been coming to the feed like they were at first. I have been watching for signs of dead minnows but hadn't noticed any. Tonight I noticed GSH swimming on the surface, so I was able to run it down and scoop it up in a bucket. Any ideas what the problem might be, and what I need to do about it.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: What is on this golden shiner! - 05/18/14 01:56 AM
To me it looks like a heavy or dense growth of cold water fungus. An over stressed fish that has a bad fungus infection. The fish was likely stressed when it was stocked and did not resume eating a healthy diet. Others will have opinions.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: What is on this golden shiner! - 05/18/14 01:57 AM
Just one?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: What is on this golden shiner! - 05/18/14 01:58 AM
Any other fish in the pond??
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: What is on this golden shiner! - 05/18/14 02:11 AM
I agree with Bill.
Posted By: Steve Robertson Re: What is on this golden shiner! - 05/18/14 02:15 AM
I noticed a couple dead ones that looked to have the same thing on it. I am still about 6 feet of being full, most of this water that is in there now came in Feb. with all the snow melt. I have only stocked my minnows and some RES. planned on stocking BG in the fall, but with water levels going down instead of up, that may not happen.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: What is on this golden shiner! - 05/18/14 02:22 AM
Early spring stocking of minnows and especially shiners can be "iffy" due to handling of these fish in cold water conditions and fish not eating properly asap when stocked.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: What is on this golden shiner! - 05/18/14 02:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
To me it looks like a heavy or dense growth of cold water fungus. An over stressed fish that has a bad fungus infection. The fish was likely stressed when it was stocked and did not resume eating a healthy diet. Others will have opinions.

Ditto!
© Pond Boss Forum