Pond Boss
Posted By: RC51 Hook Color? - 04/18/14 03:02 PM
So does anyone have a hook color preference?? I been using your plane jane long shank #6 hook but I been thinking the fish are starting to notice it maybe?? Would red or gold or something work better because of the color?? Or is that just a bunch of nonsence?? My fish will hit that feed as soon as you throw it out there but you toss a hook and it's like work just to get one to bite? Even the smaller ones? Been using 8 and 6 lbs line do I need to go to 4? Could it be the bobber??

thanks,
RC
Posted By: MSC Re: Hook Color? - 04/18/14 03:11 PM
It's funny, they make red fishing line and say the fish cant see it, they make red fish hooks and say the fish can see the red and it stimulates a feeding response from them.

Depends on the bait what hook is best. What bait are you using?

If you are trying to fish with pellets, I would suggest a salmon egg type hook.

I have started using red hooks.

Posted By: esshup Re: Hook Color? - 04/18/14 04:21 PM
I use Owner Mosquito hooks in #10 for pellets, and depending on the size of the fish, 2# or 4# fluro line. No bobber. I hook the Stubby Steves pellet so a majority of the hook gape is open.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Hook Color? - 04/18/14 04:31 PM
I've tried the red lazer sharpened hooks and apparently I must have got duds. They were dull!

I don't use the gold hooks because I don't believe they dissolve in the fish as rapidly as other hooks if the fish swallows the hook.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Hook Color? - 04/18/14 06:01 PM
Thanks guys I guess I'll just keep trying some things..

RC
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Hook Color? - 04/18/14 06:28 PM
I think the bobber could be part of the problem. And I am a believer in small diameter line also.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Hook Color? - 04/18/14 06:33 PM
Sometimes while LMB fishing a red hooks can make the difference. I fished a tournament at Lake of the Ozarks 8-9 years ago, both my partner and I were throwing the exact same Texas rigged senko/trick stick, and he out fished 5 to 1 using a red hook and that was the only difference.
Posted By: bassmower Re: Hook Color? - 04/18/14 07:33 PM
I would try four or even two lb. test as far as hooks go I have used both red and black but that's mostly for bass bluegill I would use a black with no bobber I am guessing the water is clear I have seen red line make a difference while saltwater fishing you might try a fluorocarbon leader
Posted By: RC51 Re: Hook Color? - 04/18/14 08:43 PM
Yes water is fairly clear 3 plus feet. I may try a drop shot rig with a real worm on it.

thx,
Posted By: Dwight Re: Hook Color? - 04/18/14 10:19 PM
You see a red and white helium filled balloon with a rope and hook hanging down from it. Would you bite down on the hook, even with bacon? grin
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Hook Color? - 04/19/14 02:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Dwight
You see a red and white helium filled balloon with a rope and hook hanging down from it. Would you bite down on the hook, even with bacon? grin

Especially after it happened once!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Hook Color? - 04/19/14 02:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Dwight

I've got this one figured out.

No, I would not bite on it. But only because I can't stand limp bacon. And even if the bacon were cooked in a manner that appealed to my taste buds, ( some people have been known to refer to it as being "charred"), it would shatter into a million pieces the moment someone tried to put it on a hook. Problem solved. grin
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Hook Color? - 04/19/14 02:27 AM
I had bacon and eggs for breakfast.. BLT's for lunch and cheese and bacon pizza for dinner lol.. I love bacon.. crispy or not..
Posted By: Cody Veach Re: Hook Color? - 04/19/14 06:01 AM
I like red hooks, for some reason I have always had better luck with them.
© Pond Boss Forum