Pond Boss
Posted By: Bob Lusk Aquaponics... - 04/17/14 02:02 AM
Anyone interested in learning about aquaponics? We'll have a seminar here at LL,2 Saturday. You're welcome to come, hang out and learn about it. We've got a pretty cool little system and plan to build two backyard systems you can use. Let us know.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Aquaponics... - 04/17/14 02:47 AM
What are we talking media flood and drain, raft, NFT, or all of the above?
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Aquaponics... - 04/17/14 03:00 AM
I've got four 1,000 gallon tanks with tilapia we've overwintered. Filter for solids, rafts of leafy greens, wood-fired stove to keep the heat over winter. Flood and drain, flood and drain.
Also have a single tote system, building a dual tote system, both will be flood and drain. Love that red sail lettuce. Can go from seed to full head in 40 days with grow lights. Lots of local interest here, something about the status of our economy and other factors that have people interested in growing more of their own food. I wanted it to overwinter tilapia we raise in two 1/10 acre ponds so we'll have a crop to sell each spring. But, interest is such that we need to share the knowledge. Looks like we've got at least 15 people coming with short notice on Saturday...maybe more folks. We'll see.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Aquaponics... - 04/17/14 03:07 AM
Sounds like fun! I'm itching to get my outdoor system up and running again once temps warm up. I overwinter bluegill and yellow perch in the basement but I'm too cheap to run the grow lights for aquaponics.

I want to experiment with an air lift for my aquaponics system to use a quarter or less power this summer. The Dutch are moving about 15 m3 of water per hour ( 66 gpm ) on 10 watts of electricity in their high end koi ponds.
© Pond Boss Forum