Pond Boss
Posted By: Mmaster Stocking Crappie - 04/08/14 06:38 PM
Im sure it has been asked before, but I'm new to the site.
I have an old farm pond in southern miss. And would like to catch crappie in it, I have put in about 125 (2") black crappie about 2 years ago along with 10lbs of fathead minnows, 200 copper nose, 250 large mouth bass(4") and all the green sunfish you could ever want, they were previously in there. I have fished it several times and never caught a crappie.
Any advice or help would be great thanks
Posted By: RC51 Re: Stocking Crappie - 04/08/14 07:07 PM
Well some of your crappie could have been ate by the larger green sunfish they will eat a pretty large fish if they have to. If you put the LMB in there at the same time the bass I am sure ate most of them as they grew.

Remember a LMB can eat something 1/3 it's size. So if you have 8 inch bass they can eat a 2 inch fish.

RC

P.S. If the LMB ate them all they problably did you a favor. Unless your pond is 15 plus acres crappie don't do very well in small ponds. They tend to overtake it and stunt at about 5 inches.

Posted By: sprkplug Re: Stocking Crappie - 04/08/14 07:22 PM
That's a lot of predators. What are you catching, and what size are they?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Stocking Crappie - 04/08/14 08:44 PM
Welcome to Pond Boss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Stocking Crappie - 04/08/14 11:01 PM

Sorry, but many here know of my plight with trying to remove Crappie (1700 since last April) from my 2 acre LMB and BG pond.

Oh, and welcome to Pond Boss! grin grin grin
Posted By: Mmaster Re: Stocking Crappie - 04/08/14 11:04 PM
Only catching bluegill and greensunfish no bass and no crappie. Nothing larger than 3-4 inches, the occasional 6-8 greensunfish, the pond is about 4 surface acres
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Stocking Crappie - 04/09/14 01:12 AM
Do you feed in this pond? Have you noticed any evidence of larger fish, such as during spawning/nesting times?
Posted By: fishm_n Re: Stocking Crappie - 04/09/14 02:10 AM
Does the pond ever flood? or have access to flood?? think there might be some giant cats in there??

What do you use for bait? try BIG minnows. Like medium golden shiners. That can draw out the crappie and bass.

yOU COULD ALWAYS ADD more forage fish too. Like golden shiners or shad.

Good Luck and keep us posted!!
Posted By: Mmaster Re: Stocking Crappie - 04/09/14 03:37 AM
Don't feed other than fathead minnows, which Iv added twice
All fish seem to stay the same size, even during the spawn

No never floods, it's an old farm pond that was once surrounded in pasture but is now surrounded by woods, I don't think there are any catfish as Iv never caught any. But I think I will try larger baits to see if that will attract larger fish
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Stocking Crappie - 04/09/14 04:18 AM
Kill it and start over is your best bet.. seriously it will save you headache and time in the long run prolly money too..
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Stocking Crappie - 04/09/14 03:54 PM
If you decide to kill it and start over it is cheaper to draw it down or drain it and treat a small area of water. While the pond is at low pool or with no water you might want to reshape the basin, deepen it, deepen the edges or make the pond smaller and easier to manage.
© Pond Boss Forum