Pond Boss
Posted By: george1 Retirement - 11/06/13 03:29 PM
Moderators, please accept my apologies and delete my posts for my clumsy attempt to present a ”fair and balanced” aeration discussion.
It was not my intention to disrespect my many friends on PondBoss, but reaching near 89 years of age it is time for me to retire from active participation from PondBoss.
Respectfully submitted,
George Glazener
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Retirement - 11/06/13 04:28 PM
George,

I sure would miss ya if you left. Sure hope you reconsider.
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Retirement - 11/06/13 05:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
George,

I sure would miss ya if you left. Sure hope you reconsider.

+ 1

I have learned so much from you George. You do a lot of good for all of us. Certainly outweighs anything else.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Retirement - 11/06/13 05:17 PM
george, this is not the first time there's been some static on the forum, and it won't be the last.

If the aeration thread was too hot, let the embers cool down.
Posted By: Bing Re: Retirement - 11/06/13 07:55 PM
George: Don't leave. If you do I'll be the oldest guy on the forum.

Now, I am going to hold my breath until you decide to not retire!
Posted By: Zep Re: Retirement - 11/06/13 08:18 PM
George I too very much hope you will stick around and continue making your valuable and informative posts. Take a time-out if you like, but please don't retire from posting. You have so much wisdom, experience, and knowledge to share and it would be sorely missed (especially with us rookies) if you were not an active part of this forum. All the best.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Retirement - 11/06/13 08:57 PM
First off it's awesome that you are 89 and still doing what you do!!! That in itself is great George!! Your advise has never been off beat or meant to harm in anyway. As others have said you bring a LOT to the table. Your HSB advise is priceless buddy! Everyone has a tiff every now and then. We are all adults here and friends that's what makes this site so cool. That doesn't mean I agree with everyone all the time and that just human!!

If you leave I will be sorry you did sir, but let me say THANK YOU for allowing me to learn from you and your posts on this site! Sorry I have never got to meet you in person sir!

RC
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Retirement - 11/06/13 09:13 PM
George -- we love ya!

Writing is not the same as speaking, where people can see expressions and body movements. Written comments can easily be misconstrued, and I strongly believe that is what happened. After many years here for all involved, including personal time with all, I think this is like a family or in-law misunderstanding at Thanksgiving dinner.

I've read it all. I don't see anything that would make me slow down.

I sure hope to be a heck of a lot more cantankerous here when I'm your age!

Don't stop posting. Don't stop participating.

Ken
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Retirement - 11/06/13 09:50 PM
I've never been one to mince words, and life is too short to beat around the bush. George, you should do whatever you feel is best for you. It is entirely your decision.

Either way, the sun will come up tomorrow, there's likely to be snow somewhere in January, and the PB forum will continue. The same as I think it would if any one of us, for whatever reason, decided to leave.

Simplistically coarse perhaps, but I believe it to be accurate, nonetheless.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Retirement - 11/06/13 11:36 PM
George, I sure hope you stay with us.

Dave
Posted By: RAH Re: Retirement - 11/06/13 11:41 PM
I am a lot younger than you George, but I have learned that life is too short to spend time on things that make you unhappy and that are unproductive. I have also learned to laugh at my self and not take myself too seriously. Best of luck whatever you decide to do. I am sure that you will be welcomed back if you change your mind!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Retirement - 11/07/13 03:06 AM
George, I'm probably the last person on the forum who could talk you into sticking around but I think you should. I enjoy your strong opinions and your passion.
Posted By: djstauder Re: Retirement - 11/07/13 11:53 AM
Who will I learn fly fishing skills and fly tying from if you quit?

I didn't read the aeration thread but nothing could be bad enough to make a valuable member of this community to quit!
Posted By: Bill Duggan Re: Retirement - 11/07/13 03:35 PM
Hope not, give it a few days.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Retirement - 11/07/13 09:03 PM
I must of missed something. At any rate your knowledge and contributions will be missed. Like others said, do what makes you happy. Thanks George.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Retirement - 11/08/13 12:50 AM
Damn George. Don't sweat the small stuff. This is small stuff compared to what you've experienced in your life!
Posted By: ewest Re: Retirement - 11/08/13 02:23 AM
No doubt !
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Retirement - 11/08/13 08:22 AM
George, quitting is for sissies!!! Texans don't quit, Pond Boss members don't quit & you better not either (I'd hate to have to throw the spurs to you) grin!

But I will be the first to say welcome back wink. We missed you already.

Now lets rock'em George.

By the way George, I know your peeking & lurking. PB is in one of my top 3 sites & I know its a hard habit to break (you can't just go cold turkey amigo).

Posted By: John Monroe Re: Retirement - 11/08/13 09:48 AM
George you are a mentor and a person I look up to. I'll be 80 before long and I look to you to keep me going,,, I often think if George can do it then I will shoot (for the keep on going and grit) that you have. I certainly respect what you went through in WW2. I can't count the times I have posted on the forum and thought maybe I shouldn't have said that, including the post where I ask you to tell some of your WW2 war experiences and found out they were terrible memories for you. I was so ashamed of that post. So if you can, stay around for guys like me.

John
Posted By: RC51 Re: Retirement - 11/08/13 01:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Damn George. Don't sweat the small stuff. This is small stuff compared to what you've experienced in your life!

This statement sums it up right there!! My M-I-L is 91 and to see and listen to the things she has seen and done in her life is amazing! Everything she has been through. She has seen and done so much and is still kicking the can down the road!!

When you stop and think about everything our older generation has done and been a part of in their life they deserve the utmost respect period!!

George Cecil is right this is cold beans compared to what you have done and seen in your life. Dont worry about this no one and I mean no one is perfect and everyone messes up from time to time buddy!!

Maybe take a break for a bit don't be quite as active if it's getting hardeer for you but dont give it up all together. It's folks like you where the term "Been there done that" comes from and we need folks like you around here!!

RC
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Retirement - 11/10/13 12:49 PM
RC51, Sounds like your MIL is a firecracker grin... Love the line of "still kicking the can down the road" though wink.

C'mon george1, We know you're peeking grin... We'd hate to talk about you behind your back grin.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Retirement - 11/14/13 10:56 PM
I don't think I'll make it much past 75.... George is there anything to do past 75? Anyhow you'll have to get Facebook if you don't post here...
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Retirement - 11/15/13 02:34 AM
Originally Posted By: n8ly
I don't think I'll make it much past 75.... George is there anything to do past 75?

Geeze Nate! That is harsh!

I've got nine years to go to make 75, and I hope I have a lot of good years after that. I just now sat down to relax for the first time since about 6:30 AM this morning, and it is now 9:30 PM this evening.

I've got a young guy (30 Y.O) helping me get some things done before winter. He will be here again tomorrow about 7:30 AM to help me start fencing several acres. I'm hoping we can be done by dark.

At 7:30 AM this morning, he and I loaded my truck with drywall, plywood, and a lot of hardware. All of it got put up and used before he left at about 6:00 PM this evening.

Several friends and I helped, what we consider an elderly couple (in their late 80s), last Saturday. The two of them had cut over five cord of wood into wood-stove lengths. Five of us "younger guys" -- I was the youngest at 66, split and piled those five cord in about four hours, using my hydraulic splitter and another friend's hydraulic splitter.

Don't count us "middle aged" dudes out just yet! grin
Posted By: highflyer Re: Retirement - 11/15/13 02:48 AM
You go Ken, you go!!
Posted By: John Monroe Re: Retirement - 11/15/13 08:07 AM
You know,,,, for most of us when we were young, a healthy life was a gift that we took for granted. As we get older many of us have some kind of problems. When we get really old and want to retain our independence and our old lifestyle we have to suck it up and work hard to keep it going. Eating right and exercise. Health isn't free for most of us and a few have good genes where you luck your way through old age. 80 can be 50 if you plan ahead.
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Retirement - 11/15/13 08:30 AM
I don't think I'll make it much past 75.... George is there anything to do past 75? Anyhow you'll have to get Facebook if you don't post here...

Kick that "can down the road" also like RC51's MIL is doing. Personally, I think george1 & RC51's MIL are playing "can soccer" in the middle of the street....Then ice hockey, basket-ball, wiffle ball(sp) & tag football.

Like I said George, this site is a hard habit to break....................And we know you're peeking grin grin cool.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Retirement - 11/15/13 10:12 AM
I'll be 71 in a couple of weeks. Well heck, I don't remember what I was going to post.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Retirement - 11/15/13 01:31 PM
Originally Posted By: hang_loose
RC51, Sounds like your MIL is a firecracker grin... Love the line of "still kicking the can down the road" though wink.

C'mon george1, We know you're peeking grin... We'd hate to talk about you behind your back grin.

LOL!! Yeah she is, she won't hesitate to stick her tounge out at you if you make her mad! smile It has not been easy and I fear she don't have much longer but hopefully we can make it through at least 1 more Christmas with her! Other than the model A being invented she has seen a LOT of things come and go in ther life! Things sure have changed a lot since 1921!!!

RC
Posted By: Sunil Re: Retirement - 11/15/13 01:41 PM
n8ly, with your clean living attributes, I find it hard to believe you're not going the distance!!

Of course, you probably need to check your cholesterol levels from all that good eating that you do!!!!!!!!!!!!

george, time to put the big boy pants back on.....
Posted By: Bing Re: Retirement - 12/31/13 04:47 PM
I miss George1. I wish he had not decided that it was time to stop participating. He was frank and honest and not afraid to state his opinion even if it didn't agree with others. Does anyone else miss him?
Posted By: Zep Re: Retirement - 12/31/13 05:22 PM
Ditto!
Posted By: Dwight Re: Retirement - 12/31/13 06:00 PM
Forum Rule (the fine print part):

There is no retirement from the Pond Boss Forum. Even without active participation you left your mark and your credentials remain intact. This remains true well after your ticket is finally punched and you have ascended to the great Pond Boss Soul Forum.

This applies to all forum members even though George brought the topic to the forefront.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Retirement - 12/31/13 07:50 PM
Sunil, Brook is already prepared for me to die from some unusual event. She knows old age won't get me. Her retirement account is my life insurance policy.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Retirement - 12/31/13 08:49 PM
That is crazy talk, Mabro.

And yes, it's time for georgoe to come on back, I agree!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Retirement - 12/31/13 09:01 PM
George needs to come back to start the 2014 fishing thread. He wouldnt let me down.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Retirement - 12/31/13 09:08 PM
Yeah I been looking to see if George has said anything lately and haven't see anything come on George come on back brother! If your reading this hope your doing well and 2014 is good for you!

RC
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Retirement - 12/31/13 10:04 PM
I too would really like to see George back. Can someone in the neighborhood make a visit to George? If so, give us a report.

I would hope that those whose skin is so thin that they cannot accept his honest beliefs and comments, should look hard in the mirror.
Posted By: JKB Re: Retirement - 12/31/13 10:09 PM

He's peeking, and probably in lurking mode!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Retirement - 12/31/13 10:23 PM
George needs to come back to start the 2014 fishing thread. He wouldnt let me down.

Drop his butt a note and hold him to it!!!
Posted By: esshup Re: Retirement - 01/01/14 02:07 AM
He doesn't spend much time on the phone (hearing aids don't play nice with the phone I think) but his e-mail is in his profile. Send him an e-mail. I sent him one the other day, but haven't gotten a reply yet. Al is in contact with him at least a few times a week.
Posted By: george1 Re: Retirement - 01/07/14 02:20 AM
If allowed, and not breaking PondBoss protocol, I will defer my retirement and return to posting on a selective basis - I reserve the right to challenge opinions that I disagree with. I was taught at an early age that remaining silent in opposition of opinion, is agreement.

I have been biting my tongue recently over an ongoing post in which I disagree with to some extent – there is a huge difference in information and knowledge – so bear with me. grin
Thanks to all for your very thoughtful heartfelt messages.
I am very grateful to my many friends.
George Glazener

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=362128#Post362128
Posted By: Sunil Re: Retirement - 01/07/14 02:34 AM
Raise a Shiner Bock! (or other if you have no Shiner Bock)

Welcome back, Hef!
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Retirement - 01/07/14 02:40 AM
Welcome back!!!
Posted By: animal Re: Retirement - 01/07/14 02:46 AM
I am glad you are back. From the many posts I have read, you provide great insight on many questions. I just started asking questions on here and maybe one will be of interest to you in the future.
Posted By: Bing Re: Retirement - 01/07/14 03:13 AM
Shiner Bock, HA. I was given a bottle of 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle. I'm having this straight in honor of George.
Posted By: CMM Re: Retirement - 01/07/14 03:17 AM
Good to see you back George1, love your fly fishing photos and your intelligent input. CMM
Posted By: John Wann Re: Retirement - 01/07/14 03:24 AM
Welcome back George!
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Retirement - 01/07/14 03:52 AM
Oh, thank goodness!
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: Retirement - 01/07/14 04:33 AM
Its good to see you back George. Although we are complete strangers, I have appreciated your input on many topics on this forum. Thank you for deciding to continue to share your wisdom.
Posted By: Robert-NJ Re: Retirement - 01/07/14 05:46 AM
Glad to see you back George,I always enjoy reading your posts and enjoy your pictures.

I recently came across a fly tying kit my grandfather gave me years ago and have been digging through your old posts for ideas.Now I know you don't tie as many flies these days and I hope that you don't mind me asking but have you ever thought about a fly tying thread?Maybe some pictures of your favorite patterns along with a few pointers for beginners like myself.
Posted By: george1 Re: Retirement - 01/07/14 12:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Robert-NJ
Glad to see you back George,I always enjoy reading your posts and enjoy your pictures.

I recently came across a fly tying kit my grandfather gave me years ago and have been digging through your old posts for ideas.Now I know you don't tie as many flies these days and I hope that you don't mind me asking but have you ever thought about a fly tying thread?Maybe some pictures of your favorite patterns along with a few pointers for beginners like myself.

Thanks Robert, you are asking me to dig a hole for you to throw money in... laugh.... but if you have a "grandfather kit", you are ahead of the game.
Some folks tie for entertainment but I am only motivated by a passion to catch a fish.
How 'bout starting a fly tyin' thread and see how many folks are interested?
G/
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92618#Post92618
Posted By: RC51 Re: Retirement - 01/07/14 03:48 PM
Big G what's up!! Nice to have you back buddy! Your knowledge far out weighs any disagrements you may have my man!!

Even if part time glad to have you back!!

RC
Posted By: ewest Re: Retirement - 01/07/14 10:46 PM
Welcome home George !!!!!! Its been far to long. As John Wayne once said "we are burning daylight" !!!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Retirement - 01/08/14 01:16 AM
Welcome back George!
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Retirement - 01/27/14 01:17 AM
Originally Posted By: george1
If allowed, and not breaking PondBoss protocol, I will defer my retirement and return to posting on a selective basis - I reserve the right to challenge opinions that I disagree with. I was taught at an early age that remaining silent in opposition of opinion, is agreement.

I have been biting my tongue recently over an ongoing post in which I disagree with to some extent – there is a huge difference in information and knowledge – so bear with me. grin
Thanks to all for your very thoughtful heartfelt messages.
I am very grateful to my many friends.
George Glazener

Welcome back from Ohio also George..... Great lesson to learn at an early age!.... Sorry I got to your homecoming party late grin grin wink.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=362128#Post362128
© Pond Boss Forum