Pond Boss
Posted By: Missouri Bill LMB eating floating feed - 09/13/13 06:47 PM
I got up close and personal with the fish in my 18-month-old half-acre pond yesterday and was surprised to see that my LMB were voraciously attacking the floating fish food. The pond is still loaded with fatheads and golden shiners, so it's not like there's a shortage of natural food. I was glad to see it!

My HSB have been hitting it all summer.
Posted By: Sunil Re: LMB eating floating feed - 09/13/13 07:21 PM
Were the LMB feed trained when you got them?
Posted By: bobad Re: LMB eating floating feed - 09/13/13 07:34 PM
I've also seen my LMB eating pellets, and BC too. I've caught several LMB and BC on pellets.
Posted By: Missouri Bill Re: LMB eating floating feed - 09/13/13 10:05 PM
Are most hatchery-raised bass feed trained? If so, then mine probably were, as well. But even my two-inch bass from this spring's spawn are pushing feed around the surface.
Posted By: Sunil Re: LMB eating floating feed - 09/14/13 08:57 PM
No, I believe most hatchery raised LMB are not feed trained.
Posted By: ewest Re: LMB eating floating feed - 09/15/13 11:33 AM
I agree with Sunil. Ask the hatchery. Many LMB are hatchery trained for pellets but nowhere near most.
Posted By: Missouri Bill Re: LMB eating floating feed - 09/19/13 06:07 PM
It's amazing how they can appear out of nowhere and nail a piece of fish food. I'm having so much fun watching these fish, I don't know that I'll ever be able to cull them. They're like pets.
Posted By: esshup Re: LMB eating floating feed - 09/19/13 06:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Missouri Bill
It's amazing how they can appear out of nowhere and nail a piece of fish food. I'm having so much fun watching these fish, I don't know that I'll ever be able to cull them. They're like pets.

Oh sure you can. Just name them! Shore lunch, fish fry, dinner are a few names that come to mind. grin
Posted By: Missouri Bill Re: LMB eating floating feed - 09/19/13 06:13 PM
Hey! You know my fish!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: LMB eating floating feed - 09/19/13 08:12 PM
MoBill, I feel the same way...I sit on my dock every other day from 5-7 and hand feed my caged and pond fish. I even enjoy the fishery management more than fishing now, which I never thought would happen. Some SMB and HSB with distinctive habits/tendencies I can recognize on every trip - they are indeed just like pets. Weird how much time can pass while watching your fish feed on a nice Autumn day.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: LMB eating floating feed - 09/19/13 08:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
No, I believe most hatchery raised LMB are not feed trained.

Not true in our area of the country. Most if not all ARE feed trained as it's more cost effective to produce them that way. You know -- 2 lbs. of dry feed vs. 10 lbs. of live feed?

So Bob Lusk saying where it says most largemouths are feed trained on the Aquamax bag it's not true? grin
© Pond Boss Forum