Pond Boss
Posted By: ninety6 $40.00 Floating Dock Completed! - 07/03/13 04:37 PM
Got lucky enough to snag a truckload of treated lumber on Craigslist for FREE. Had a friend with a hookup for the barrels for FREE. Already had nails and screws. Had to buy a few bags of quikrete and a 4x4 for the ramp posts, and some hardware for connecting the ramp to the posts and the ramp to the dock. All in all I have put in about $40 (and a week's worth of evening work at a leisurely pace). Not bad for a 12x14 dock with a 3.5x10 ramp for our half-acre pond!

Overall, a fairly easy project, and about the cheapest project I've ever done. Puppy approved, and the fish love it too.

Attached picture IMAG0087.jpg
Attached picture IMAG0109.jpg
Attached picture IMAG0114.jpg
Attached picture IMAG0124.jpg
Attached picture IMAG0132.jpg
Attached picture IMAG0133_1.jpg
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: $40.00 Floating Dock Completed! - 07/03/13 05:02 PM
Nice! Were the dogs your first test? grin
Posted By: Sunil Re: $40.00 Floating Dock Completed! - 07/03/13 05:02 PM
Congratulations! It looks awesome.

There have been previous discussions about the pros/cons of using treated lumber, but I don't recall what the consensus was.
Posted By: Omaha Re: $40.00 Floating Dock Completed! - 07/03/13 05:40 PM
Awesome! Exactly what I'd like to do. Both the look and the price. grin
Posted By: ninety6 Re: $40.00 Floating Dock Completed! - 07/03/13 05:44 PM
I believe myself and the neighbor's kid were the first ones on it, but the dogs hopped right on with us. I was surprised the smaller one (brilla) hopped on with no hesitation -- she's completely blind, and that was before the ramp was done. she hates water, but also hates being left out, so she found her way to it and jumped right on. The bigger one (Zari) loves to watch (aka hunt) fish and frogs. She bit a one or two of the catfish when we'd feed them from the shore, but now she can't reach them from the dock when we feed, so they are safer wink

I thought about the treated lumber thing -- but its not IN the water so i figured it can't do too much damage (other than rain runoff)... I plan to seal it (on the top), which should seal in most of the contaminants. the bottom (i flipped the boards from their previous life as a deck) is already sealed, so hopefully that sealant lasts for a while.

I'll have to look for some of those discussions and see if there is anything I should look out for, thanks for the tip!
Posted By: ninety6 Re: $40.00 Floating Dock Completed! - 07/03/13 05:47 PM
Yeah i'd been watching Craigslist for a while, and kept being too late on the "free wood" posts. finally got one. I couldn't believe i got enough for a dock that big! It's perfect. The guy had a 750 square foot deck he tore out (he even took all the nails out!!!), and most of the lumber was 16 foot. I had to split it with another guy but got the perfect amount for this.

I guess the green/hipster term is "reclaimed" wood.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: $40.00 Floating Dock Completed! - 07/03/13 06:50 PM
Wouldn't worry about the treated lumber in the pond. Compared to the volume of water it's such a small amount. I have a pier that is 60 percent treated lumber that goes completely across the pond, and my fish are as healthy as they come.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: $40.00 Floating Dock Completed! - 07/03/13 07:06 PM
I figure there is far more copper in algaecide treatments than will leach from a dock's treated lumber. Older treated lumber will have leached most of what it has on the surface a long time ago.
Posted By: Sunil Re: $40.00 Floating Dock Completed! - 07/03/13 07:44 PM
Sorry! I didn't mean to be a downer about the treated lumber. I just remember the discussion.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: $40.00 Floating Dock Completed! - 07/03/13 07:48 PM
Nice score!!
Posted By: jakeb Re: $40.00 Floating Dock Completed! - 07/03/13 11:31 PM
Wow that looks really nice! I may have to do that. I can get the barrels easy!
Posted By: Leo Nguyen Re: $40.00 Floating Dock Completed! - 07/04/13 12:02 AM
Looking great! But wouldn't a nice coat of sealant prolong that dock a bit more, and create a nice smooth surface just in case?
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: $40.00 Floating Dock Completed! - 07/04/13 12:51 AM
Also if you can still rotate the barrels have the bungs sitting horizontal to the water just to keep them out of the water most of the time just incase you develope a small leak..
Posted By: ninety6 Re: $40.00 Floating Dock Completed! - 07/05/13 11:05 AM
Leo, yes, we are planning on sealing it as soon as we have time!

BluegillerKiller -- i went back and forth on this -- i'm still watching them for leaks, so far so good -- but i may still rotate them so the seals are horizontal, which will keep them both out of the water except when there are several people on it. Thanks for the tip! Definitely still pondering this and keeping an eye on it. May rotate soon!

Thanks everyone, enjoying the dock almost every day!
© Pond Boss Forum