Pond Boss
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/25/13 12:18 AM
Sitting here on the couch looking out at the pond wondering how big of waves it takes to add O2 to the water as well as if rain adds O2..

By God if it does my pond should be saturated with it right now... Between the flat down pour we are having an the white caps that were rolling a little bit ago!!!

Did I tell you guys I am sick of rain!!!
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/25/13 12:23 AM
Neighbors sump pump is just puking water in about every 15 seconds!!! And pond has come up about 8"s in the last half hour...
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/25/13 12:48 AM
Send it South.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/25/13 12:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Send it South.

Wish I could we have had more than enough to share... Had over 4" on Saturday and just got another 2.5" in just over an hour..
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/25/13 01:00 AM
Dave has an extremely valid request.
Don't rub in your good fortune with such posts! grin
Posted By: esshup Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/25/13 01:05 AM
That same storm dropped 3/4" inch here. Pond came up 1".
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/25/13 01:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Kelly Duffie
Dave has an extremely valid request.
Don't rub in your good fortune with such posts! grin

Oh don't worry, you will know when I am rubbing something in... laugh
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/25/13 01:25 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
That same storm dropped 3/4" inch here. Pond came up 1".

Did the storm we had on Saturday morning go south of you.. It honestly just say over us for hours!!!
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/25/13 02:27 AM
So I guess the answer to the rain adding O2 is " it depends"?
Posted By: ewest Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/25/13 03:20 AM
Yes anything that moves the water surface adds O2. I suggested some time back that someone should send the ark to our area. Losing water from overflow for the last 6 mths without cessation.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/25/13 10:10 AM
Originally Posted By: outdoorlivin247
... as well as if rain adds O2...

Anything that disrupts the surface tension "should" add O2.
Posted By: esshup Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/25/13 01:19 PM
The storm Saturday petered out before it got here, what was left detoured around us.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/26/13 05:34 AM
How about lightening, holy rain storm!!!!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/26/13 10:28 AM
Lightning adds nitrogen to the water. I usually don't get an algae bloom to my fry ponds until i get a good thunderstorm. Unlike most ponds it seems my limiting element is nitrogen.
Posted By: esshup Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/26/13 01:15 PM
No rain at all last night, but there was a LOT of pink lightening. At one time, the weather station said there were 160 strikes per minute going on.

This morning is another story. Finally getting some rain - had 1" in about an hour earlier this morning, and just had 1 1/2" in 45 minutes and it's still raining. YAY!!!!!!! I'd be perfectly happy if we had 4" today. With the sandy soil here, there wouldn't be much flooding, but it would hopefully allow for some runoff into the pond and it sure would build up the groundwater levels.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/26/13 01:53 PM
We got another inch last night...And by looking at the radar there is more coming....

esshup, the radar looked nasty at your area this morning!!!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/26/13 01:59 PM
Glad you guys are finally getting some much needed rain. Maybe the violent storm part will settle down for a while.
Posted By: esshup Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/26/13 02:24 PM
2.25" so far today. grin
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/26/13 02:28 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
No rain at all last night, but there was a LOT of pink lightening. At one time, the weather station said there were 160 strikes per minute going on.

This morning is another story. Finally getting some rain - had 1" in about an hour earlier this morning, and just had 1 1/2" in 45 minutes and it's still raining. YAY!!!!!!! I'd be perfectly happy if we had 4" today. With the sandy soil here, there wouldn't be much flooding, but it would hopefully allow for some runoff into the pond and it sure would build up the groundwater levels.

Good for you Scott. I think we got 2 to 3 inches last night at my place but won't know for sure until i talk to my dad.

No rain here at Niagara Falls yet.
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/26/13 04:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
No rain here at Niagara Falls yet.

You on vacation and still posting!!!

...or are you trying to get away from the crop-duster? smile

You might have drove right by our place.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/26/13 04:30 PM
Thundering now, and radar shows a pretty good sized cell bearing down on us.....all of our ponds are discharging water, and have been all Spring.

After suffering through last year, I told myself that I would never complain about an abundance of rain again...so I'm not complaining. In spite of having added pond dye four times so far.

But maybe just a little dryer interval now and then wouldn't be so bad.....
Posted By: Leo Nguyen Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/26/13 05:09 PM
Originally Posted By: outdoorlivin247
So I guess the answer to the rain adding O2 is " it depends"?

Indeed, it's all depends. Small white caps from the downpour only add O2 at the surface, possibly down to 6". White caps from the downpour, mixed by heavy gale wind, you're golden. Rain + thunder storm + direct lightning strike into the pond + gale wind, you can turn your aerators off for a few days.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/26/13 05:17 PM
The other night when I posted this, I was mowing when the storm blew in...I had serious wave action with small white caps on my little pond..Then came the rain...The wind and white caps had pretty much settled by the time the rain set in...

Was honestly just thinking to myself when mowing about what was actually going on, so I posted this thread.. Aint a day goes by you don't learn something new...
Posted By: Shorty Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/26/13 05:25 PM
It depends is right. An August cold front with a cold rain, light wind, and overcast skies for several days can shut down an algae bloom and cause a DO sag leading to a fish kill.

Wind will do a much better job of adding O2 than rain.
Posted By: ewest Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/26/13 07:37 PM
Its not the rain that is the problem its the temp when it causes the O2 upper layer to cool and exchange with the thermocline ( No O2 water). That flip or turnover results in water with no/little O2 being at the surface that suffocates the fish.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Does rain add O2 to pond? - 06/27/13 12:06 AM
Not really a vaca as much as taking a former exchange student that stayed a my house a few years ago to see the falls with his mother.

If you're near Interstate 80 or 90 yeah we probably past your place.
© Pond Boss Forum