Pond Boss
Posted By: Captain1 Geese in East Texas - 06/10/13 07:21 PM
This spring we have seen and heard geese in the area. About a month ago I discovered that a pair of geese on our ranch pond had a gander of 6 goslings. Initially about the size of chicks, over the past month these things have grown very rapidly, already nearly the size of their parents. They also seem to be getting used to me. They don't leave the pond when I am around it, but they do swim to the opposite side to avoid me. This past weekend I got pretty close to them and snapped a picture. I thought geese went to Canada to lay eggs? Previously we never saw any geese in the area - even in winter. Should I expect that this could be the start of an annual event? They have done a fine job of cleaning the edge of the pond and we are thrilled to be able to see them grow.

Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Geese in East Texas - 06/10/13 08:47 PM
There are several different subspecies of Canada geese. Each from different parts of the country. One subspecies in particular, the one commonly known as the Giant Canada Goose as it tends to be much larger than most other subspecies has been domesticated. These birds, then have gone feral and created non migratory flocks throughout the country. So in many areas, there are both migratory Canada geese which in my area are nearly half the size of the non migratory ones. Occasionally when goose hunting, I see both near each other. The size difference is quite noticeable obviously. In my area, they have an early Sept season which focuses on the non migratory birds which are a real problem. Then they have a normal season where you can hunt the migratory and non migratory birds. They then have a late season where again, you generally are just hunting the non migratory birds.

In your case, you most likely had someone release some geese in your area or over time, a flock of non migratory geese grew in size and spread their range into your area.
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Geese in East Texas - 06/10/13 08:52 PM
Captain,

They are fairly widespread over all of North Texas. I have had them near my families place north of Paris for at least 6-7 years. Last year they opened an early season like CJ mentioned here in Texas.
Posted By: esshup Re: Geese in East Texas - 06/10/13 10:39 PM
FYI, be careful what you wish for. A goose poops once every 10 minutes, and the more there are, the more they poop. They also contribute to nutrient loading of a pond, which helps FA.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Geese in East Texas - 06/10/13 10:49 PM
Yep, poopers with legs. Can't scare 'em off fast enough. Plus their droppings are HUGE.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Geese in East Texas - 06/10/13 11:20 PM
We call them flying toilets for a reason...
Posted By: Captain1 Re: Geese in East Texas - 06/11/13 04:31 AM
I have just learned that someone about 7 miles north of us in Quitman established a goose population a few years ago. Apparently they are expanding their range. And yes...the dam is covered in goose poop. I'm glad I put tilapia in this year. They are keeping FA in check.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Geese in East Texas - 06/11/13 10:34 AM
I saw some with young at a neighbors pond recently. Surprised me.
© Pond Boss Forum