Pond Boss
Posted By: FarmerRick RES Activity - 05/02/13 05:41 PM
THis morning I saw some very interesting activity. About 10-12 RES were hovering over 3 areas (nests?) ... I am ignorant still so dont really know if they were nests. THey were kissing like the kissing gouramis I had in an aquarium as a kid. Also some were turning their body at a 45 degree angle to flash their silver reflection. They were all getting along well and seemed to be doing some special instinctive activities. Were the males fertilizing the eggs? What was the tilting for? Please tell me what I was seeing.

I put 200 RES in the pond 2-3 years ago due to having an overrun of snails and there are hardly any or no snails now so they did a great job. I caught one last year, they only one ever and it was fun, but other than that I have not seen them very much. These guys are 1/2 to 1 lb and look very healthy. It was and is fascinating.
Posted By: bobad Re: RES Activity - 05/02/13 06:00 PM
I hate to tell you this, but I seriously doubt they were getting along. They push, posture, and make threat displays to intimidate other males. Actual fertilization is sort of quivering along the nest bottom, very quick, and unmistakable.
© Pond Boss Forum