Pond Boss
Posted By: jludwig Pond Water for Oil and Gas Drilling - 04/01/13 04:17 PM
I know there has been a few questions in the past about selling pond water for drilling or fracking in the oil and gas industry. As of this date 4/1/2013, I know of the going rates in Central Oklahoma for water used in a new well drilling and fracking.

Drilling: Set rate at $120/day. Currently here, companies are drilling two mile horizontal wells in 32 days here.

Fracking: Anywhere from 20 cents to 25 cents per barrel.

Most of the water used in this area is large ponds (2 acres or more).

How do I know if I have enough water to sell? That is completely up to you. Most of us here value the water in our ponds and given current conditions. I would say the majority present on this site put the health of their enjoyment and leisure of their pride and joy before making some quick cash given current weather conditions. I think most will agree that their ponds are far important beacuse it shows the rewards of personal sacrifice and hard work.

I hope this helps somewhat for those of you with questions concerning this topic.
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Pond Water for Oil and Gas Drilling - 04/01/13 05:32 PM
Jludwig , I think what you say is accurate about how most here value their water far more than what they might
pay.

However, I do think that selling water is a possible tool to be used in pond management that is often overlooked. If someone has a pond that they want to pump out or drain down for renovation, why not see if that water can be sold.

If my figures are right

1,000,00 gallons divided by 42 gallons/barrel(oil) x .20 = 4760.00

That could go a long way towards renovation.......

Posted By: jludwig Re: Pond Water for Oil and Gas Drilling - 04/01/13 06:11 PM
I think they use 2 million plus gallons. Not for sure on that part.

Also I think the companies like to take the all water from one source.

I just wanted to provide some information so people have a basis.

Fish n chips, you are figures are correct. I also that $5000 can go a long ways towards renovation.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Pond Water for Oil and Gas Drilling - 04/01/13 07:20 PM
After taxes... roughly $2.73 ;-). Hmmm, a deep pond has more value than I thought! My pond calculates out to 3.7M Gallons total (0.6 acres, fairly deep) I think that is correct... but I didn't realize its water value is greater than the cost to dig it. $17K for my pond! Wow, time to dig some more holes and let them fill up.

Oh wait, I live in NY. Home of the fraking ban. No cash for me.
© Pond Boss Forum