Pond Boss
Posted By: Brettski Nature's talon contest winner - 03/05/13 02:43 PM
Love 'em, hate 'em, but gotta respect the quality of their work
Posted By: DiamondDave Re: Nature's talon contest winner - 03/05/13 03:01 PM
Whoa! That is some great video.
One of the coolest things I've witnessed in person was last trip up to the Rainy River/Lake Nippising in Ontario a couple years ago. Bald Eagle came down and plucked a good sized smallmouth bass (guessing 2-3 lbs)out of the water near a shoreline not more than 50 yds. from the boat. At first I wondered if he was even going to be able to fly with it it was so large, but he certainly managed and flew off to have a hell of a lunch somewhere!
Great footage, really enjoyed that. Just amazing !! Thanks
Posted By: kenc Re: Nature's talon contest winner - 03/05/13 03:06 PM
Pretty awesome. They used to be around our farm but we had eagles to build a nest last year and the ospreys don't come around the back pond. Does the eagles just eat dead fish mostly. I don't think I have ever seen one dive in the water like the osprey does.
Posted By: ewest Re: Nature's talon contest winner - 03/05/13 03:06 PM
Love to watch them at your pond - hate to see them at mine !!!!
Posted By: djstauder Re: Nature's talon contest winner - 03/05/13 03:11 PM
I saw bald eagles diving for food in Alaskan waters; don't know if they were getting live or dead fish.

That video shows the power of the osprey! What kind of fish was the third one?
Posted By: kenc Re: Nature's talon contest winner - 03/05/13 03:22 PM
I don't mind the birds of prey. We really enjoy watching them work. The eagles fly down and just lift the fish off the top of the water.They hardly ever miss, so I think the fish is dead. One day while we were building a boat dock, a osprey missed 19 dives in a row. He would rest a few minutes and dive again and he never did get a fish. I had a fishing day like that on Sunday, caught 17 on 36 bites.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Nature's talon contest winner - 03/05/13 04:33 PM
Eagles will occasionally take live fish, but they usually take dead ones or like to steal what ospreys have caught. There is a reason Ben Franklin didn't want the bald eagle as our nation's mascot.
Posted By: kenc Re: Nature's talon contest winner - 03/05/13 05:22 PM
I have seen the eagles make the ospreys drop their catch at least six times but the eagles don't pick up the fish. They really hate each other.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Nature's talon contest winner - 03/05/13 06:53 PM
I have seen bald eagles dive bomb the water on Lake Texoma and pull out a striper that is 20 inches long on several occassions.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Nature's talon contest winner - 03/06/13 03:21 PM
My goodness, that was IMPRESSIVE!!!

In the first bombing, how many fish did that osprey take?

In the last one, I love how the osprey makes the fish aerodynamic to reduce drag!
© Pond Boss Forum