Pond Boss
Posted By: MRHELLO Tilapia ID - Please Help - 10/10/12 02:55 PM
Ok I just harvested a few Tilapia and it appears that I may have been sold a few different types. Can anyone help me ID the ones I have?

Attached picture Tilapia2.JPG
Attached picture Tilapia3.JPG
Attached picture Tilapia4.JPG
Attached picture Tilapia5.JPG
Attached picture Tilapia6.JPG
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Tilapia ID - Please Help - 10/12/12 02:24 PM
Are there really not any ideas as to what type these are?
Posted By: jludwig Re: Tilapia ID - Please Help - 10/12/12 03:24 PM
Patience, everyone that would have knowledge of the different kinds is at the Pond Boss Conference.
Posted By: RER Re: Tilapia ID - Please Help - 10/12/12 03:38 PM
I would say hybrid of some type/.......
Posted By: jakeb Re: Tilapia ID - Please Help - 10/12/12 04:18 PM
Did you get them all from the same source? I could be wrong but I think there are only one or two types legal for sale in Oklahoma. I get Moz. tilapia every year and they vary in color greatly. I could be wrong but they may all be the same type...

This may help also, I have not read it all the way so not sure.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=203155
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Tilapia ID - Please Help - 10/12/12 07:31 PM
I forgot about the conference (since I was unable to attend). I will wait to see if anyone hits this later when the conference is over.
Posted By: Tums Re: Tilapia ID - Please Help - 10/12/12 08:34 PM
Skittles Talapia LOL
Seriously I know the was a red/ pink strain that came out of Florida. The come in all kinds of cloros. Red /Pink, Black , blue, White, Gold. There has been many crossbread varieties of them from what I understand. I went to a pond about 2 years ago that looked like it had every color under the rainbow coming up.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Tilapia ID - Please Help - 10/12/12 11:24 PM
Jake, all species of Tilapia are legal for stocking in private OK waters....

The "red" "pink" "old" tilapias are all a genetically defective Mozambicus...Silmiar to albino catfish and can now be selectively bred. "Blue" Tilapia are a separtae species...White Tilapia is another name for nilotica species.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Tilapia ID - Please Help - 10/15/12 07:48 PM
So I must have some sort of mixed Tilapia then, they did not mention anything about Mozambicus breed when I bought them. I guess it does not matter too much just trying to figure out what exactly I bought and compare it to what I was told.
© Pond Boss Forum