Pond Boss
What is the best time of the year for us to rotenone the pond? we had it planned for aug 25th but now my father talked to a state guy who gave him a booklet saying under no circumstances do it before sept 15 and best after oct 1....is this because the rotenone disipates at hotter temperatures and it has more time to eradicate all fish in the pond?

The reason i am even questioning this is because at my job it is an act of congress to get a weekend day off for us to do this. I have already gone through the pain of getting off the 25th and would like to go ahead if there is no major draw back to this....
See this link from the Miss Pond Manual - I would say read pg 37.

Thee best time to eradicate fish from a pond
for restocking is late summer or early fall.
Water temperatures are at their highest at this time,
and the weather is usually dry, allowing easy draining.
Killing the fish at this time reduces the time between
the kill and the restocking, which minimizes
the chance the pond will be contaminated by unwanted
fish before restocking.

http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p1428.pdf
Gotta love those that believe in absolute rules with no exceptions.

Kind of reminds me of the former Soviet Union and their commune planting took place across the entire country on one particular day regardless of the weather. If it's flooding you still plant that day.If it's freezing you still plant. If you're in a drought you still plant! One of the reasons I'm sure the Soviet Union collapsed.
Well it will definately be plenty hot enough...its been a rough summer here in AL...
© Pond Boss Forum