Pond Boss
Posted By: Ack What are these bluegill doing? - 05/14/12 08:59 PM
I recently stocked some fingerling (1"-3") bluegill into my pond. As soon as they were out of the bags most of them disappeared into deeper water. Quite a few, however, stayed in around 6" of water. Some just sat there, some were in groups of 2 or 3 chasing each other around in circles. I've linked to a video below. They started doing this within a few minutes of coming out of the bags, and continued for at least 30 minutes, maybe longer. None were visible in the shallow water the next day.

Any ideas on what this behavior is? Fighting? Spawning? ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UMNvdzu05M
Posted By: RC51 Re: What are these bluegill doing? - 05/14/12 11:09 PM
Hey Ack that is a bit weird for just putting them in your pond from a bag?? They seem quite uptight! They are big enough to be spawning so maybe they were sizing each other up a bit?? Not sure what to tell ya.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: What are these bluegill doing? - 05/15/12 01:40 AM
My WAG is a temporary stress or stress release response to a new less cramped environment. I've see trout jump out of the water when first released into a lake after a long haul. It was almost as if they were releasing pent up energy from being cramped up and slushed around in a tank for several hours.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: What are these bluegill doing? - 05/15/12 11:45 AM
Never seen that. Usually I find some that are in shock and have to be shooed away from the shallows.
Posted By: IJUSSWANNAFISH Re: What are these bluegill doing? - 05/15/12 09:23 PM
When I released some 100 2- 3 inch bass two years ago most took off to deeper water, some hung out close to the shore and about ten immediately found the smallest minnow they could find and try to have lunch.
Posted By: Doctor Duck Re: What are these bluegill doing? - 05/16/12 12:44 AM
They look like they are establishing a pecking order. Didn't think fish did this but hey. Probably what Cecil said, glad to be in a bigger less confining body of water and celebrating.
Posted By: Ack Re: What are these bluegill doing? - 05/16/12 07:44 PM
Yeah, I thought it seemed strange. I think it's even stranger now that no one here can explain it! smile

Whatever it was, it was fun to watch.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: What are these bluegill doing? - 05/16/12 09:49 PM
Have you seen any dead fish yet?
Posted By: Ack Re: What are these bluegill doing? - 05/17/12 04:50 AM
There was one floater shortly after I released them. I haven't seen any others.
© Pond Boss Forum