Pond Boss
Posted By: esshup Fish Spawning - 05/05/12 05:23 PM
I took this morning to go to the monthly get together at the Sporting Clays range, then spent 1/2 hr at the pond when I got home. The water temp is 67.1°F at 12". The BG are starting to get busy building nests, and the LMB are already on them. The FA is so bad that I can't see into the shallows in 3/4 of the pond, so I have no idea if any fish are nesting under the FA or not. It's a solid mass, and the neighbor said it moves from side to side in the pond with the wind.

Anyway, EWEST, I thought BG needed warmer water to spawn in? Or are they just getting ready? Full moon is tonight.

Pond has dropped 22" in the past 2 months due to lack of rain and sandy soil.

Trout are still hammering the food, and the LMB are too. No BG or CC at the feeder.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fish Spawning - 05/05/12 07:50 PM
I suspect the BG are just starting to spawn. They will begin the process around 65 degrees or so.
Posted By: RAH Re: Fish Spawning - 05/06/12 11:12 AM
Saw a bunch of nests im my pond yesterday.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fish Spawning - 05/06/12 12:16 PM
Scott,

I'm seeing the bottom stirred up in the big pond which means they are starting. My water is in the low 70's.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fish Spawning - 05/06/12 01:24 PM
The BG are nesting now in all 5 of our ponds. Water temps in low 70's. Will be fishing in just a few minutes.........
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fish Spawning - 05/06/12 01:51 PM
Correction:

Mine started clearing beds but have gone off the beds. They probably started when air temps were in the upper 80's with high winds that were warming up the water rapidly.
© Pond Boss Forum