Pond Boss
Posted By: jrwpmw Pond leak? - 03/07/12 05:40 PM
I purchased a home in 10/11 on a 2 acre pond. One neighbor mentioned that the pond probably leaks, years earlier he said dye was added to find the leak but they couldn't.

It's been a mild and dry winter here in mo, and the pond in about 2-3 feet below its max level. I do have a well pump for filling, so last weekend I let it run for 3 days. It raised the water about 6" on the shallow end shoreline, I placed a stake in the ground to mark that level. Now about 8 days later it's back to, or a little below the previous level.

Now I was measuring on the shallow end, which might not be a great indicator of overall volume loss. We did have a little ran, but it didn't raise the level much at all.

I know that is not a lot of information, but I can say that the water level appears to drop about 1/2 per day with little or no rain.

In general, is that cause for concern or more normal loss related to evaporation, etc.?

Thanks a lot, again! This forum is awesome and everyone has been so helpful. Hopefully, soon I will know enought to start contributing rather than just asking questions!
Posted By: Jim_100 Re: Pond leak? - 03/07/12 05:53 PM
Is it 2-3 feet low measuring the exposed ground or true up and down like on a gauge? Same with the six inches.
Posted By: jrwpmw Re: Pond leak? - 03/07/12 06:07 PM
2-3' is fom the max, before overflow. The pond is more or less bowl shaped, and that 2-3 would be to the top of the bowl.

The 6" on the shallow end is just that. Its a slow grade from that end to the deeper part. I would say it drops about 1' every 10' So, 30' from shore on the shallow side is only about 3' deep now. If full it would be closer to 5/6'.

So, you will notice water level changes on the shallow side pretty easily. I will try this next, but that 6" drop on the shallow side might only equate to a 1" drop on the deeper end.

The deepest part of the pond is around 8' now, but would be closer to 10/11' at capacity.
© Pond Boss Forum