Pond Boss
Posted By: rmedgar FHM eggs - 02/20/12 03:46 AM
Does anyone know what these minnow eggs look like?
A picture would be great. Thanks...
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: FHM eggs - 02/20/12 03:55 AM
They are generally gonna be placed on the underside of a rock, log, pallet, lily pad, etc...

Go here for a photo: http://faculty.ithaca.edu/sallen/gallery/1253/?image_id=9390
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: FHM eggs - 02/20/12 03:57 AM
New spawning site idea This ides looks very interesting and could really crank up the production rate of FHM as well. It also contains photos of eggs.
Posted By: ewest Re: FHM eggs - 02/20/12 03:10 PM
Thanks CJ. That hatching device is neat but would work better if it was longer and shallower. Males are territorial during the spawn.

Archive fathead spawning

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post115165

Male FH - spawn

Posted By: rmedgar Re: FHM eggs - 02/20/12 06:18 PM
Thanks, CJ & Eric. I just bought some for my pond that is in the works and
saw some odd looking white "clumps" in the buckets that I put them in.
I put some in a jar and we'll see if anything hatches. It didn't look like the
eggs on CJ's link. Lots of good info and "voices from the past" on those
links from Eric and Travis...
Posted By: keith_rowan Re: FHM eggs - 02/20/12 06:50 PM
i'm using 4" and 6" clay pots in my basement rosy red minnow pool.. they work well - i've seen quite a few sets of eggs, but still setting up fry tanks for that..
i can pretty much get them to lay eggs by changing the water temp a couple degrees, and give them a couple feeds of blood worms..there's a light above the pool giving them 14+ hour days as well
Posted By: JKB Re: FHM eggs - 02/20/12 10:41 PM
They look kinda frightened eek

Need a deburring tool???
Posted By: John Monroe Re: FHM eggs - 02/22/12 09:00 AM
I've got a lot of spatterdock. I keep it because the Wood Ducks like it for cover and eat the seeds. With the abundance of spatterdock and all of the leaves for the deposit of FHM eggs on the underside would I get large amounts of FHM or is there a limiting factor here?
Posted By: andrew davis Re: FHM eggs - 02/22/12 06:16 PM
Would have thought there be many natural predators of fish fry among foliage, the likes of dragonfly larvae, water beetles, a very effective birth control method for excess numbers of hatchlings...

Regards, andy
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: FHM eggs - 02/23/12 05:39 AM
I can't think of a single pond I know of that has bass that has a self sustaining FHM population.

It's been my experience that rocks in the football size range that are commonly used to prevent erosion along pond banks are the best spawning structure and habitat for FHM. They can hide in the crevices from bass and get extremely shallow. All the undersides of those rocks are perfect spawning sites. Placing spawning structure in water more than a foot deep is fine until predators are stocked. Then those sights become worthless because the predators will simply eat any FHM that ventures into water that deep. When placing spawning structure for FHM, think shallow!
Posted By: Peepaw Re: FHM eggs - 02/29/12 02:33 AM
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
New spawning site idea This ides looks very interesting and could really crank up the production rate of FHM as well. It also contains photos of eggs.

Looks alot like the material we have. Textured vinyl grows periphyton better than most materials and only about 10% less than bamboo substrates without the D.O. loss. Selling lots of the shallow cradle model for just this purpose.

PVC products excel in long term ability to create fish food through bio film.

cradle shallow fish habitat for fry cradle
© Pond Boss Forum