Pond Boss
Posted By: george1 Fishin' 2012 - 02/08/12 06:52 PM
I know that with the new format we are supposed to post pictures on “Show off you catch” topic, but a good forum friend of old time PondBossers has asked me to continue the Fishin’ 2012 thread :
“george is there a fishing 2012? I like looking at your fish growing”
I like to see his fish growing as well!
Any objections - if so moderators please delete.
George

Just for you Sunil - from the past .... grin

Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/08/12 07:58 PM

Posted for Mike

Good idea George!
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/08/12 08:57 PM
Thanks Scott!!!!!!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/08/12 09:08 PM
The 'Fishing 20__" threads are iconic, Hef!

But how could you start the thread without some pictures??!!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/12/12 05:06 PM
Sorry George, but no ice fishing pics this year at our ponds due to the awesomely warm weather. But last week we caught some amberjacks, tuna, and wahoo while fishing down in Venice:

The rest of the pics can be seen at Nate's Fishing Blog Offshore Fishing Report Venice, LA
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/12/12 05:16 PM
NICE Natester!!!!!
I love a challenge and you just proved that you also - I already knew that!
Amberjack, tuna, and wahoo!!!
WOW -SUPER GRAND salty SLAM!! cool

Love fishin' the oil rigs!!!

Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/12/12 08:15 PM
Nate, have you eaten some of each yet? My fav is Wahoo, followed closely by fresh Bluefin.

Those Wahoo swim pretty quick, don't they? wink
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/12/12 11:11 PM
Nate I just got back from venice fishing for trout and redfish. It was awesome fishing I caught three redfish over twenty pounds.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/13/12 12:46 AM
We ate tuna for lunch today and it far exceeded my expectations! We ate amberjack for dinner and it met my expectations cause I eat amberjack somewhat frequently, but it just wasnt fair to the amberjack after eating the tuna first! its amazing at how fast the wahoo swim compared to any other fish!!

James, Venice is my new favorite place to fish! Pretty much any saltwater species you could ever want to target!!

George, I think flyfishing the rigs would be the funnest form of flyfishing on the planet by far!! Its amazing at how many fish there are by those rigs from the top of the water column all the way down to the bottom! Someone needs to invent a freshwater oil rig fish attractor simulator pond version.
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/13/12 01:27 AM
nate how far out did you have to go from land? I get really really sea sick
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/13/12 12:47 PM
Nate, PM before next trip - You can land a big fish on a 12wt fly rod quicker than a boat rod. The fish is fighing the rod - not the fisherman.
No bottom feeders on fly rods tho - just Wahoo - Kings - Dolphin....

You and James are making me jealous! grin
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/13/12 01:26 PM
Kings were everywhere and were a nuisance, so were the sharks!
James, we were out about 20 miles from shore, but there are rigs much closer.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/13/12 04:40 PM
I have found that the best cure for seasickness is line jlaving(leaving) the reel. Yeah, I screwed up(fat fingered the keys) and Ken caught it.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/13/12 07:35 PM
Quote:
I have found that the best cure for seasickness is line jlaving the reel.

jlaving: (Scandhoovian/North American: yall ving.), re: "ya'll leaving." Translation of Scandanahoovian decedents living in Texas and Oklahoma, meaning, "it is leaving." Equates to the word "ralph" in most of US and Canada.

I spent much of my 20's and early 30's sailing the seven seas, and spending many of my younger years on inland lakes, like Lake Superior. Sometimes that term lent itself to stomach contents. Sometimes it referred to line on a reel.

If you are prone to this malady, definitely don't have any alcohol the night before. Don't have coffee or fruit juice with breakfast. Make your breakfast bland and absorbing. Have some oatmeal with just a little sugar, but with no milk or cream. Have several soda crackers, or several pieces of semi-burnt toast. Make sure you take your Dramamine.

Don't go inside or below decks. Keep your eyes on the horizon, not the deck rail or a spot on the deck. Don't lie down. Catch a fish.

If you do feel you have the blue-water flu, use the rail, and not the deck or the "head."

Tyhjentää,

Ken

Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/13/12 08:23 PM
I am so glad I don't get sea sick. From seeing many who have, it doesn't look like any kind of fun. My wife usually doesn't, but got it bad on a whale watching trip on our honey moon. 15+ foot seas and a boat that'll do 30+ mph through those seas was taking its toll on almost everyone on that boat though.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/14/12 12:57 AM
I've been sea sick before and it is miserable. I have it narrowed down to Inboard Diesel Engines and mid sized boats with cabins make me more susceptible to getting sick. also taking all the precautions Ken and Dave mentioned above!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/14/12 01:54 AM
james holt, what a way to make a re-entry into posting with us! (Freak)
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/14/12 03:16 AM
Ventured out on likely the last ice of the year. While I was popping holes and my buddy was cleaning them up, I asked him to check the ice thickness which he stated was "around 3-4". Satisfied, I began setting up a few BG rods when I accidently dropped a waxie in the hole. I bent down to retrieve and thought I'd check the thickness for myself. My heart was in my throat when I measured no more than 1.75"! No where to go at that point, and it was clear first ice since our last thaw, so we stuck it out rather close to shore and sitting in our sleds. Suppose he knew there was no way I'd head out on the ice knowing how thin it was. Not smart, but glad we stayed as I stuck the two largest SMB to date. 16" and 15.25" Mamas - one on teardrop/waxie and the other on minnow rig meant for YP and HC.

Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/14/12 03:27 AM
Nice lookin smallies TJ, I guess in NE. you guys don't drive your trucks on the ice.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/14/12 03:41 AM
Certainly not this year. Typically we'll see 6-9" for at least 3-4 weeks in NE, although the past 4-5 years we've seen up over 20" and ice around for 8-10 weeks. Been a very warm Winter, just like the rest of the country.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/14/12 03:48 AM
Those are some awesome looking smallies!! Catching them through the ice isnt very easy to do in most places!!!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/14/12 06:10 AM
Those smallies are gorgeous! Sure looks cold there...
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/14/12 02:35 PM
Great looking smallies TJ! Awesome surprise they were I bet!
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/14/12 02:50 PM
Good job, TJ.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/14/12 03:11 PM
Beautiful Smallie TJ! You're dressed like it was cold out or something!

n8ly, yes diesel fumes get nasty, especially if the injectors have a lot of hours on them and it's running a bit rich. I got to learn to dislike boats that drifted stern first and got to know the fleet in San Diego well enough to know what boats to stay off of.

Also, if getting sick on the boat, try and remember what side is the downwind side. Bouncy seas, diesel fumes and fishing at night is about the worst combination that I can think of, especially when I haven't been out on a boat all year. I'd take an anti-seasickness pill or wear a patch for the first day or two and I'd be fine the rest of the year as long as I went out at least once a month.

The crew wasn't happy with a buddy from Oklahoma. He came out to visit and we went on a 2 day trip. He got seasick, and used the sink in the cabin for a depository. Not good!!
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/14/12 03:42 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
but glad we stayed as I stuck the two largest SMB to date. 16" and 15.25" Mamas - one on teardrop/waxie and the other on minnow rig meant for YP and HC.

Congratulations TJ - love those smallies - can't imagine ice fishing tho - supposed to hit 70 degrees tomorrow! smile
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/14/12 03:56 PM
We're in store for 40-45 next 10 day forecast. By then it's almost March, wow....can the end REALLY be in sight?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/14/12 03:59 PM
Originally Posted By: n8ly
We ate tuna for lunch today and it far exceeded my expectations! We ate amberjack for dinner and it met my expectations cause I eat amberjack somewhat frequently, but it just wasnt fair to the amberjack after eating the tuna first! its amazing at how fast the wahoo swim compared to any other fish!!

James, Venice is my new favorite place to fish! Pretty much any saltwater species you could ever want to target!!

George, I think flyfishing the rigs would be the funnest form of flyfishing on the planet by far!! Its amazing at how many fish there are by those rigs from the top of the water column all the way down to the bottom! Someone needs to invent a freshwater oil rig fish attractor simulator pond version.

Wow this is amazing guys...some questions:

Where is Venice? Is this FL or LA, MS, AL? Sorry for my ignorance.

How much can one expect to lay out for a day or two?

I want to fly fish around these oil rigs - it's now on my BL list.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/14/12 11:32 PM
Never stuck one thru the ice, until this year, this is number 5 and 6. I think these girls have turned the corner on gape limitations and are utilizing some of my abundant 3-5" BG and larger GSH as forage. Makes a huge difference. I was very impressed with their body condition in mid winter.
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/15/12 01:13 AM
those are really pretty fish I wish we had had them in texas
Posted By: jludwig Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/15/12 01:19 AM
Lake Texoma has smallies in it. It is a pretty good smallie lake and its not that far away from you.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/15/12 02:03 AM
A good captain out of Venice, Louisiana to fish the oil rigs will run you about $1800 for 6 guys for a day. Or if you wait about 5 years or so I will take you out on my boat. This baby right here is on my bucket list:
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/15/12 03:08 AM
Count me in, Nate. I'll buy the Cheetos!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 02/15/12 03:13 AM
Originally Posted By: james holt
those are really pretty fish I wish we had had them in texas

James...let's get it done in your pond. I have feed trained SMB ready to be seined in March. Bruce has hauling tanks Banks custom designed for him. All you need are some cages to grow them out. They are the hardest fighting fish I've ever caught. They won't likely reproduce for you down there and won't compete much with your LMB, but you can supplementally stock every 3-4 years and maintain a population with a good pellet program. They love AM LM formula!
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/02/12 09:44 PM
Harvested about a dozen female CNBG in 4-8 inch slot limit (one male gill hooked) this morning. Released many young males such as photo below. Sons Stan and Jeff cleaned about a dozen last evening plus three fat HSB.

Finally broke down and killed some of my babies but they will be scrumptious delicious tonight.

Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/03/12 01:34 AM
George if I was closer I would buy some of those to improve my stock.
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/03/12 11:26 AM
Wish I could get them to you Eric but have to cull the 4-8 inchers and release the obvious males - mother nature will do the job if I don't!!
Fantastic genetics - true conformation!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/06/12 01:18 AM
First open water fish of the year. And the wind didn't make it easy.

Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/06/12 05:21 AM
So where'd ya snag the RBT? (figuratively, not literally wink )
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/06/12 05:39 AM
Local lake. With the lack of ice, I'm thinking there's plenty left for the taking. They sure are fun to catch on light tackle. We ended up with almost 20. Kept 5.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/06/12 01:14 PM
If you need to catch a shave, Omaha, just put some milk on your cheek and let the cat lick it off.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/06/12 01:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
If you need to catch a shave, Omaha, just put some milk on your cheek and let the cat lick it off.

I let myself go on the weekends.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/06/12 01:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Omaha
First open water fish of the year. And the wind didn't make it easy.

NICE!
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/07/12 01:54 PM
I'm sorry for staying away so long. My father passed away in the fall of 2010 and I didn't do much fishing last year. However, the early spring and warm temps have thinks cooking at my place. We caught 270 crappie last Sunday.

Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/07/12 02:07 PM
My condolences to you and your family.

From your pond?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/07/12 02:17 PM
Cason, sorry to hear about your Dad.
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/07/12 02:57 PM
Nice haul ! How is the lake and farm ?
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/07/12 03:21 PM
My Condolences Cason - been missin' 'ya!!!!
Welcome back - love your pictures!
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/07/12 04:21 PM
Carson, sorry to hear about your dad. How old was he?
Welcome back. Send some more pictures of those monster HSB from your lake.
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/07/12 06:12 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate that.

Things are well. Timely rains last summer combined with high commodity prices made for a good year.

I'll try to work on the HSB this weekend. We're planning on restocking some this year. Jeff was supposed to do a little electrofishing tomorrow, but the weather isn't going to help us, so we may have to put it off until next week.
Posted By: connor Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/07/12 09:35 PM
Great fish everyone!
Posted By: connor Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/08/12 12:11 AM
Here are some of my modest fish:) I realize they pale in comparison to others but oh well.

http://www.connorkelley.webs.com/

Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/08/12 12:39 AM
sorry for your loss I have been missing seeing your posts
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/09/12 07:55 PM
I was down at my dock earlier, and I saw something swimming on its side, in circles, near the top of the water. I grabbed a net and pulled this dude out!

Right at 12 inches.

Right at 2 lbs.

And over 2 inches thick!

He had rot of some kind on his tail and anal fins. He did have a yellow grub on his tail near where it was red and rotting. I haven't cleaned him yet. It will be interesting to see what he looks like inside.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/09/12 08:00 PM
That is a chunk Redear! Very nice.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/09/12 09:22 PM
Holy mackerel! Good job Ken...I can only pray for the days when I see these in my ponds! Any clue of the age? Tell us what you find in their stomachs, please.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/09/12 09:27 PM
Are you going to eat him? (OK....perhaps a stupid question)
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/10/12 12:22 AM
I'll bet him is a her.......

NICE fish Ken!!
Posted By: spinnerbait Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/10/12 12:41 AM
Great redear! What kind of grub get's in a fish?
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/10/12 03:41 PM
Scott -- that's embarrassing. You are absolutely right. Plus she was full of eggs.

TJ - I couldn't identify what was in her stomach. It was dark grey mush. I have absolutely no idea how old she might have been. There were a few RES in the pond when we bought it seven years ago. I attempted to cage raise a 100 2-inch RES in the pond about 3-4 years ago, but they all escaped. I don't know if any of them survived the bass luncheon party that day.

Sunil -- the filets are vacuum packed and in the freezer. Each skinned filet was 6-7 oz. We would normally have served one up like this tonight, but there is a turkey and oyster all-you-can eat dinner at a church just down the road tonight.

Spinnerbait -- I think I was wrong about the grub. It may have been a seed or something that was stuck there. Most of us put RES in our ponds to control grubs, and I don't remember seeing grubs in other RES. The RES eat the snails that grow because of waterbirds pooping them out. The snail larva invades the skin of bass and bluegill, and I'm sure other fish. Some are "yellow grubs", some are "white grubs" and some show up like pepper in the flesh, and are known as "black spot." The white and yellow grubs are harmless to humans, but some people are squeamish about eating fish that have them. When fish have them, the grubs are small 1/4-inch worms that can be seen on the fins and in the flesh of filets.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/10/12 04:02 PM
The snails act as hosts during one stage of the parasite's life cycle. The snails themselves are not the parasites. I believe the eggs of the "black spot", or Uvulifer Ambloplitis, parasite are deposited in bird feces, while those of the "yellow grub", or Clinostomum Marginatum, are deposited from the bird's throat, while it feeds.

I think that's correct?
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/11/12 02:35 AM
I shot a cormorant with a valid texas permit and it was full of nasty worms in its stomach all just wriggling around. I buried the bird according to state law. Thats where those nasty worms are coming from.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/11/12 02:45 AM
I shot a cormorant with a valid texas permit and it was full of nasty worms in its stomach all just wriggling around. I buried the bird according to state law. Thats where those nasty worms are coming from.

Ewww! sick

I sure hope those birds can't find their way to WV!
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/12/12 12:51 AM
What a monster RES catmandoo!
I didn't manage any large HSB this weekend, but we did catch 127 crappie. When we started our crappie harvest four years ago perhaps 50% were large enough to scale and cook whole. The rest were too small. This year approximately 7% of our fish weigh 2lbs or more. Last year that number was closer to 2% weighing 2lbs or more.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/19/12 03:01 AM

Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/19/12 10:53 AM
Thanks Nate - love kids fishin'...
cool
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/19/12 12:06 PM
n8ly, you guys don't do anything 'small!'
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/19/12 05:17 PM
So it is summer up there already as well I see. Nice!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/19/12 11:00 PM
we were warmer than san diego, cozumel, and the florida keys!! still got 3 more days in the mid 80's!

Sunil, we enjoy working and fishing one in the same. Every spare moment is booked up for the next 5 years...
Posted By: Dwight Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/23/12 01:56 PM
I did some fishing from shore Wednesday evening.

The mosquitoes are terrible because the barn swallows haven't arrived yet. At least I hope that is the problem.

My right hand (after surgery) isn't quite ready for catching big LMB; some soreness afterwards.

I caught 7 LMB in the 2.5-3 pound range. One may have been 4 pounds. The smallest was caught on a Buzzbait and the other six on a Spinnerbait.

It was a good, first open water, 45 minute fishing event. OK, it was great!

This is the earliest ever open water fishing (March 21st) with water warm enough to catch some fish.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/23/12 02:27 PM
Dwight, make a slight modification and go with live bait to ease up on the casting pains.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/23/12 02:42 PM
Dwight, make a slight modification and go with live bait to ease up on the casting pains.
Live bait is for ice fishing.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/23/12 02:55 PM
When I first started to read your reply, I thought you were going to get all Ho Chi Min on me!

It's not just for ice fishing!!
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/23/12 03:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Dwight
Live bait is for ice fishing.
....and for women and children ....
grin
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/23/12 03:22 PM
Brutality!!!
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/23/12 06:21 PM
Very good George !! ROFLOL laugh

Here is an "it depends" story/situation for you guys.

I would generally agree that live bait works better if you pick the right one. I almost never fish with live bait. When I do its crickets or worms for BG/CNBG/RES. Up until a couple years ago I would have proclaimed that live bait fishing with crickets as described above is the hands down most effective method !! Then I tried Stubby Steve’s. I did a test on 3 different days (spring , summer and fall). Every time the SS beat the heck out of crickets. It would work even when the crickets and worms would not. These were both feeder fish and non-feeder fish.

So here is the question - is SS live/real bait or artificial ?
Posted By: JKB Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/23/12 10:20 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
Very good George !! ROFLOL laugh

Here is an "it depends" story/situation for you guys.

I would generally agree that live bait works better if you pick the right one. I almost never fish with live bait. When I do its crickets or worms for BG/CNBG/RES. Up until a couple years ago I would have proclaimed that live bait fishing with crickets as described above is the hands down most effective method !! Then I tried Stubby Steve’s. I did a test on 3 different days (spring , summer and fall). Every time the SS beat the heck out of crickets. It would work even when the crickets and worms would not. These were both feeder fish and non-feeder fish.

So here is the question - is SS live/real bait or artificial ?

It is manufactured! Along with most other baits, be it in a display at Walmart, or getting a couple dozen GSH from a bait store.

If a human had anything to do with it, with exception, It is manufactured, be it live or not! It sure is real to the human senses, as real, as real can be!

Notice: This is just an ill attempt to answer Eric's question laugh
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/24/12 01:25 AM
Brutality!!!

Just tied this one up to try to explain the difference between bait and artificials - maybe catch a big ole bucket mouth I betcha...

Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/24/12 01:55 AM
Soooooo... where does that leave those of us who tip our artificials with live bait? confused

I will readily switch between live bait and artificial, or any combination thereof. Whatever it takes to catch fish.

Of course, my Granddad had a much more direct way of getting his point across, when it came to artificial vs. live bait:

"Son, are we going fishin', or are we going to catch fish?"
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/24/12 02:47 AM
I'm comfortable using live bait. I think even George would agree 'cause I'm told "Oh grow up!" frequently. grin
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/24/12 11:30 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
I'm comfortable using live bait. I think even George would agree 'cause I'm told "Oh grow up!" frequently. grin

Yeah, I know - just jokin' - catchin' is more fun than fishln'.

You know me Scott - I have a short attention span - I get bored without a challenge ... grin
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/24/12 01:08 PM
That's a sweet fly, george!
Posted By: Dwight Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/24/12 03:45 PM
When angling for LMB, SMB, BCP, and BG a highly skilled angler using artificials will consistently out catch (large numbers of large fish) a live bait angler.

What really matters is that you enjoy fishing no matter what technique you may use. cool
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/24/12 03:50 PM
When angling for LMB, SMB, BCP, and BG a highly skilled angler using artificials will consistently out catch (large numbers of large fish) a live bait angler.What really matters is that you enjoy fishing no matter what technique you may use. cool

Yes Sir, and you can pick up a fly line and recast to a rising fish quicker then reeling in a line, and as a bonus leave a fly in the "strike zone" longer than with a lure or jig!!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/24/12 09:45 PM
When angling for LMB, SMB, BCP, and BG a highly skilled angler using artificials will consistently out catch (large numbers of large fish) a live bait angler.

What really matters is that you enjoy fishing no matter what technique you may use. cool

I'm not sure I'd be the farm on that one, Chochise.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/24/12 10:31 PM

Why would you want to be the farm?
Posted By: Bing Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/25/12 01:11 AM

Why would you want to be the farm?

If Sunil wants to be the farm let him be the farm.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/25/12 02:05 AM
And the subjectivity vs. objectivity debate lives on.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/25/12 03:14 AM
I guess I deserved that!

But just so you know, I AM the farm.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/25/12 11:52 AM
I guess I deserved that!

I concur. You are the farm. I am the Sun.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/25/12 12:18 PM

I wouldnt be the farm on that either muchacho. There are times when live bait will slow you down on aggressive congregated fish, but those times would not be classified as the majority or consistently.

Also Sunil used Dwight as a very valid point indeed to the benefits of being a well rounded and highly educated fisherman. Many more fishing opportunities in your life as opposed to not fishing while waiting for the right opportunity.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/25/12 01:00 PM
Dwight, I disagree. There is be a reason that live bait is banned in bass tournaments. It isn't fair.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/25/12 02:49 PM
The only way to really settle this is: the stick and I in one boat pitted against two live bait anglers in their boat on a mutually agreed upon pond or lake (that hasn't been previously fished by any of the participants).

The stick and I would handily win this contest and yet the argument would continue with the usual live bait angler's excuses, "too sunny", "too windy", "too cloudy", "fish weren't hungry" ....... laugh
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/25/12 03:18 PM
I think you just threw the glove at the farm....
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/25/12 04:05 PM
I think this would be a good thing to happen during the fishing tournament at the next PB Conference!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/25/12 04:11 PM
Well, Dwight is threatening to come, but the stick has not indicated one way or another....
Posted By: the stick Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/25/12 04:27 PM
There are times I use live bait in open water, but I agree with Dwight in most circumstances. The fish are after food, so the most efficient way is to keep your offering near them, and entice them enough to go for it. I am at Lake of the Woods extreme northwest MN during the conference. Sounds like an interesting challenge though.
Posted By: JKB Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/25/12 04:58 PM
He looks pretty happy George! laugh

My nephew will really like this. Thanks!

Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/26/12 12:20 AM
While you fellas were arguing I went fishing. grin

258 Fish in total. 233 of which were crappie.

Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/26/12 12:48 AM
I guess I deserved that!

Coo coo ca choo!

Sorry. Slipped into a Beatles moment there!
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/26/12 12:51 AM
Fish fry next weekend ?
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/26/12 12:56 AM
No doubt, Eric!

My 9 year old daughter caught one of the biggest LMB we've pulled out of our 1/2 acre pond just yesterday. She had been fishing a little artificial lure and I found a worm so we hooked it up. I helped her cast to two LMB I could see hovering just below the surface then gave her the rod. She did a great job of just twitching and slowly reeling when her line went taught and she started screaming! She set the hook and after a nice little fight, brought in a 15 inch, 1 lb. 7 oz. LMB. Due to poor planning on my part, I did not have a camera and had intentionally left my phone at home, so no pic, but that little girl's ear to ear smile is permanently etched into my memory!
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/26/12 01:01 AM
Nice mess of crappie! 25 fish limit per person??
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/26/12 02:13 AM
Those crappies of that size in that quantity are just down right impressive. Just out of curiousity, live bait or artificial?
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/26/12 04:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
I guess I deserved that!

Coo coo ca choo!

Todd is the walrus.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/26/12 11:32 AM
Weather has been so awesome this March, its felt alot more like June than it has March. Anyhow, fish are biting like crazy (not like cheyenne crazy, but we are catching lots of fish)

Bluegill were schooled up near the surface over 14 feet deep water and we were catching them on crankbaits:

Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/26/12 01:11 PM
ewest,
We actually had a fish fry yesterday. It made for quite a nice day.
We caught most of them on a combination of live and artificial. Wax worms are the ticket to catching slabs with a jig Nate! I'm very impressed with those BG. We never see hogs like that at my place.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/26/12 02:35 PM
So were those crappie caught from a pond?
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/26/12 05:06 PM
Weather has been so awesome this March, its felt alot more like June than it has March. Anyhow, fish are biting like crazy (not like cheyenne crazy, but we are catching lots of fish)

Bluegill were schooled up near the surface over 14 feet deep water and we were catching them on crankbaits:

WOW - nice gills Nate!
Posted By: the stick Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/27/12 12:44 AM
Break out the Canola oil and your favorite fish powders!!!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/27/12 02:06 AM
so lets some this up, cheyenne is a live bait fisherman who just caught 250 big crappies on live bait. The only logical conclusion is that live bait is supreme until somebody posts a picture of more than 250 big crappie caught on artificials......
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/27/12 02:11 AM
This to was caught on live bait Nate.

MrHello,
To answer your question, yes they were caught on my pond.
Posted By: spinnerbait Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/27/12 02:18 AM
Man these are all nice fish!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/27/12 02:25 AM
Cheyenne,
Some day I am coming to your lake crappie and catfish fishing. On a totally unrelated subject, let me know when you and most of your family members are headed out on a family vacation.....
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/27/12 02:27 AM
At least the gun-toting family members....
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/27/12 12:06 PM
Originally Posted By: cheyenne19

Cason, you and Nate don't count as challengers to bait vs. lure fishin' cause y'all ain't normal (fishermen) - besides that Nate is a "closet" fly fisherman - Brandon and I taught him to cast a fly rod at PB Conference II and he won a silent auction fly rod... grin
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/27/12 12:46 PM
Cheyenne,
Some day I am coming to your lake crappie and catfish fishing. On a totally unrelated subject, let me know when you and most of your family members are headed out on a family vacation.....

I've got plenty of room. I've even got a nice lodge with 9 beds to put everyone up in. Just say when.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/28/12 01:12 AM
Right now I am building my house with every spare moment, but as soon as we move in and get a bush or two for landscaping I am headed to Arkansas!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/28/12 02:01 AM
Tomato plants work well as bushes/landscaping.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/28/12 03:06 AM
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
I guess I deserved that!

Coo coo ca choo!

Todd is the walrus.

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/29/12 05:08 PM
I am so hungry for some fried fish. I would love to join nate or cason eatin all those good lookin fish
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/29/12 05:19 PM

This 34lb BC was caught with a fly on a TFO 7wt flyrod.... grin

Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/29/12 05:36 PM
Have some pics to add from this past weekend while fishing below Gavins Point Dam, Nebraska side.

Just a hair over 21" and 3.5 pounds. Caught a lot of small walleye, but the sauger we caught were really good sized fish. And a species I hadn't caught before.

A couple other species that were firsts for me...

Caught some drum and a bunch of white bass as well.

Crappie was a surprise.

Another solid sauger.

My buddy snagged this paddlefish on his 6'6" UL rod on 5 pound test line and landed it!

Always nice to lose track of how many fish you catch. Definitely a memorable experience.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/29/12 07:22 PM
Wow, talk about a mixed bag! I bet that was fun.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/29/12 07:30 PM
Wow, talk about a mixed bag! I bet that was fun.

It was an absolute blast to say the least. At first we never knew what we had on, but as we continued to catch fish we started to get better ideas of what we were pulling in based on the fight.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/30/12 04:22 AM
You had a heck of a day fishing!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/30/12 04:36 AM
Wow good job Josh. What is pic 3 and 4? Looks like a shad of some kind and a silver carp? Nice sauger and can't believe a paddlefish! Amazing.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/30/12 09:22 AM
minners
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/30/12 12:59 PM
Pic 3 is a goldeye. First time catching one and I caught a ton of them. Great little fight on them and lots of teeth! Found out the hard way as I tried to lip my first catch. Yep, pic 4 is a silver carp. They're all over the place up there. You could almost walk across the river in places there were so many skimming the surface. You couldn't help but snag a few while jigging.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/30/12 03:25 PM
What a diverse day, Omaha!

Try to keep your eyes open when being photographed....
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/30/12 03:30 PM
Haha, duly noted. In my defense, if you're referring to the sauger picture, my eyes were open, but just looking down at the fish. I haven't caught enough big fish to be great at the presentation yet. Hope I'm getting better though!
Posted By: the stick Re: Fishin' 2012 - 03/31/12 10:03 PM
Very nice! Do you know the water temp? Looks like you had good weather.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/01/12 01:45 AM
Wasn't sure of the water temp. The weather was very nice. Kind of chilly, but comfortable.
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/01/12 02:20 AM
Yeah it's a chump change bass, but it is a 2012 bass I caught today.

They were not biting until I started throwing a fluke.

Fluke = 6 bass

It got almost to 90 degrees today outside of Dallas,
good God I'm not ready for summer yet...it's still March!

Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/01/12 03:09 AM
Caught these today, both 9.5"

Male HBG, 17.7 ozs

Female HBG, 17.9 ozs.

Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/01/12 12:54 PM
Nice fish!!

You probably should see the LMB spawning, or getting ready to. I had one male on a bed last week, but the cold weather chased him off.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/01/12 01:07 PM
You're right on Scott, the bass are beginning to spawn. I noticed yesterday that there were a half dozen large RES hanging out in deeper water just off their spawning area also. If the water temps don't drop it won't be but just a few days and they'll be on too.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/01/12 02:06 PM
It's supposed to be warm for the next few days, but then another cold front rolls thru.
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/02/12 12:54 AM
Caught a couple on live bait today.

26lb

25lb

32lb

Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/02/12 01:02 AM
Nice cats !
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/02/12 01:31 AM
whoa cheyenne...those are some healthy cats!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/02/12 02:18 AM
I love seeing a fishery so well managed that BC fill a niche and the lake remains productive. Success story here for sure. Thanks for sharing Cheyenne.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/02/12 02:19 AM
Monsters!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/02/12 09:04 AM
Agree with TJ. Well done as usual.
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/02/12 10:57 AM
Cason, nice fish!!!
Do you stock them or natural reproduction?
What role do you think BC play in your pond management to create such a productive lake?
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/02/12 12:39 PM
George,
I know that some hybrid blue x channel catfish were stocked over ten years ago. I didn't think many had survived the draining of the pond in 2003. I didn't count rays in the fins but the top two looked like those hybrids to me. Jeff from SE Pond and I have talked often about these large fish and what possible role they may play. Our only guess is that they could be controlling the large gizzard shad. We never have electrofished a shad over 10-12". We've decided not to remove the large fish because I do think that they are playing a role in our pond. I'd much rather remove more smaller catfish that compete with HSB and LMB for the same size forage item.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/02/12 05:41 PM
Well I wish I would have had my camera, but I was able to pull a black crappie off the bank in my small pond. Think it was try to nest up in about 6 inches of water, and you could see the black stripe down its nose.

My father tried a few times to get it with a jig, but I had to show him up and toss a minnow out, it was neat to what it come up and hit the minnow.

Not sure why they had the black nose, as I did not think that is what I bought, but sometimes you may not know where your source came from. Still a nice 10 inch crappie which was stocked 2 years ago at 3-4 inches.

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/02/12 06:04 PM
Cheyenne I like that theory regarding control of your GS, and the fact you aren't seeing any GS reach larger sizes common for them is definitely a clue that supports your theory. The HSB and LMB probably enjoy schooling GS and hammering them all Spring and Summer, too? I recently read an article in In Fisherman about trolling a shad on the surface for BC. Amazing they are very active predators, even chasing and taking bait from the surface. The more I learn about BC the more they amaze me.
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/02/12 06:16 PM
George,
I know that some hybrid blue x channel catfish were stocked over ten years ago. I didn't think many had survived the draining of the pond in 2003. I didn't count rays in the fins but the top two looked like those hybrids to me. Jeff from SE Pond and I have talked often about these large fish and what possible role they may play. Our only guess is that they could be controlling the large gizzard shad. We never have electrofished a shad over 10-12". We've decided not to remove the large fish because I do think that they are playing a role in our pond. I'd much rather remove more smaller catfish that compete with HSB and LMB for the same size forage item.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=286477#Post286477
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/03/12 01:17 AM
I just stocked several ponds with farm raised pellet trained blue cats and am excited to monitor them closely over the next few years. Very exciting stuff.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/03/12 01:18 AM
Anybody out there catching fish on artificials??? sure havent seen any recent pics? George? Dwight? Anybody??
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/03/12 01:40 AM
I've probably caught a dozen smallish LMB on artificials - senkos and a plastic minnow, maybe by Gulp.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/03/12 01:49 AM
I am dying to get out and go fishing. This weekend when I go home. Will be targeting bass on artificals
Posted By: spinnerbait Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/03/12 01:56 AM
Caught some good bass on rattletraps.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/03/12 03:03 AM
11" RES [pond record and NE Master Angler]
14" HC [pond record and I'm sure a MA for NE - new species for sure!]
14" YP [pond record and NE MA]
8 HSB up to 24"
20 SMB from 13 - 16"
9.5" BG [pond record]
Dozens of GSH up to 8-10"

All on jig/crawler or lightning jig.

Have some pics, will post soon.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/03/12 04:13 AM
jig/crawler is considered live bait. TJ your post can be likened to the guy who starts running before securing the football or the gal who changes the babies diaper without a new one readily available, you simply need the pics in the same post for validity or all you got is just words...

All you others claiming to catch fish with no pics dont count either.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/03/12 10:21 AM
OK, I don't count because I NEVER carry a camera. It's just not me.

However, last Saturday morning I broke out a 3 wt fly rod and some bugs that George gave me 3 or 4 years ago. I need to practice with it for next years trout trip to Arkansas with my BIL. I went to the dam to practice since there are no trees. I never fish there. George showed me how to do this stuff and I had to stop and think about just how to cast that thing. No sweat; it worked but George probably wouldn't have appreciated my form. I started catching BG from 5 to 9 inches on every cast. The rod broke on the 2nd fish so I went back and got a 7wt and continued. After about 45 minutes I went back to the house and got my Wife. All of this continued, after a break for breakfast, until about 2:00 when we had to leave.

At one point I went back to the house for another rod and nightcrawlers. The only fish that we caught on live bait were 3 to 5 inch. I figure the fish are pretty well conditioned to the red and white bobber. I hauled about 15 fish back to my previously dried up forage pond.

Gotta buy a couple of 3wt fly flingers. Just why are those things about 3 times as expensive, with very little technology involved, as a good level wind casting rig?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/03/12 10:24 AM
MRHELLO, I seem to recall that the black stripe on the nose is a strain of crappie that came from the White River in Arkansas. I believe Lusk said that but I could be wrong.
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/03/12 11:12 AM
Anybody out there catching fish on artificials??? sure havent seen any recent pics? George? Dwight? Anybody??

Nate, headed out this morning with 60% chance of thunderstorms - man's gotta do what he's gotta do!!!

Last couple of weeks all docs - CT scan clean - no rectal cancer detected - butt doc scope - no cancer - cardiologst told me to get out of his office, he had sick folks to see about - retina doc coming up - bladder cancer doc coming up ..... back in shape - goin' fishin', rain or no rain!!

Yeah - you betch - I'll have pictures.... grin
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/03/12 11:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
OK, I don't count because I NEVER carry a camera. It's just not me.

However, last Saturday morning I broke out a 3 wt fly rod and some bugs that George gave me 3 or 4 years ago. I need to practice with it for next years trout trip to Arkansas with my BIL. I went to the dam to practice since there are no trees. I never fish there. George showed me how to do this stuff and I had to stop and think about just how to cast that thing. No sweat; it worked but George probably wouldn't have appreciated my form. I started catching BG from 5 to 9 inches on every cast. The rod broke on the 2nd fish so I went back and got a 7wt and continued. After about 45 minutes I went back to the house and got my Wife. All of this continued, after a break for breakfast, until about 2:00 when we had to leave.

At one point I went back to the house for another rod and nightcrawlers. The only fish that we caught on live bait were 3 to 5 inch. I figure the fish are pretty well conditioned to the red and white bobber. I hauled about 15 fish back to my previously dried up forage pond.

Gotta buy a couple of 3wt fly flingers. Just why are those things about 3 times as expensive, with very little technology involved, as a good level wind casting rig?

Dave, I am so proud! cool
grin
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/03/12 11:50 AM
You ought to be proud. It's all your fault.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/03/12 02:00 PM
George, with all the good news, when is the next Tarpon trip? I'm glad to see you back out and enjoying life!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/03/12 03:10 PM
Pond record RES

Pond record HC

Another nice HC

smile
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/03/12 03:14 PM
Records are dropping all over the place here! Are you releasing the crappie TJ?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/03/12 03:30 PM
Awesome looking fish. That RES is a chunk.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/03/12 05:33 PM
Leaving the Crappie in. I cage trapped an Age 1 HC - first reproduction evidence. I was happy to see it was certainly not in good shape at all - so I'm hoping the research on HC F2's is accurate....really hoping. I will post a photo, Condello has it on his camera.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/03/12 05:41 PM
Wow, that is good news. Does the offspring have the distinct "blacknose" as well?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/03/12 07:18 PM
Only found one - and it lacked the stripe.
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/03/12 07:26 PM
Originally Posted By: george1

Nate, headed out this morning with 60% chance of thunderstorms - man's gotta do what he's gotta do!!!
Yeah - you betch - I'll have pictures.... grin

Clobbered CNBG this morning - biggest 11+ inches and 1.5lbs - photo tomorrow when I get home.
Just heard - tornado warning - batten down the hatches....
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/05/12 12:03 AM
Fish really turned on this morning after storms yesterday.
Mrs. G's CNBG below.
Colors more vivid and colorful than photo.

Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/05/12 12:13 AM
George I am copying the pic to add to our CNBG thread.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/05/12 02:57 AM
George, the place made it thru the storms O.K.? I called my buddy down there last night, and he hadn't heard from his foreman on the ranch. He was in Plano at a seminar when the storms rolled thru Dallas.
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/05/12 11:12 AM
Yeah Scott, lots of wind and rain but no damage.
Good rains continue to flush bad nutrient laden water - I am a believer in syphon spillway syssems!

I believe the "media" sometimes tends to exagerate storm damage by mulitple helicopter shots of same area from different angles - not to lessen concern for tormado victims.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/05/12 11:43 AM
Wow! That fish is oustanding George!
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/05/12 11:50 AM
George, thamks for the update.
Posted By: RAH Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/06/12 12:51 PM
I caught a nice size sunfish (I believe a bluegill) in my pond (no picture). It was very fat and had a swollen bright orange area on the front underside. Much more pronounced, brighter orange, and swollen compared to other fish that I have caught. Is this a sign of spawning? Would this be a male or female?
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/06/12 01:04 PM
Males have their colors get more pronounced when spawning. Females stay pretty blah looking.
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/08/12 09:58 AM
they're getting bigger...

also saw the first snake yesterday
don't know what kind he was....

Posted By: spinnerbait Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/08/12 04:28 PM
"Was"? Sounds like he is a "dead" snake! Never seen one that long and slender!

Nice LM!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/09/12 02:21 AM
I agree with Spinnerbait - nice LMB, but even nicer dead snake! I killed one this evening after cutting it when I apparently ran over it with my lawn tractor. I grabbed it and chucked it into the pond while it was still wiggling hoping to see a LMB eat it, but no such luck. Oh, well. At least it's a good snake now! grin
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/09/12 02:24 AM
a buddy tells me that it was a rat snake and that we shouldn't have killed him because he is a "good snake"....oh well
Posted By: highflyer Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/09/12 02:30 AM
It is a rat snake. They are good snakes. However, the snake I shot on thursday was not a rat snake, but it is now a good snake. Sorry, no pictures, the impact of the bullet tossed both halves into the pond and after a little bit of wiggling, it sank.
Posted By: atleiker Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/09/12 11:43 PM

This one is first fish of 2012 for me. Not measured or weighed, but was about 14 inches and 1.5 lbs. Caught out of my own pond on 3/25

Fished about 1.5 hours on Sunday, 4/8 and caught my new personal best LMB. 19.5 inches and 4.43 lbs on the digital scale. We're still a bit cool here at 52 that day. Caught out of a local lake.
Posted By: spinnerbait Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/10/12 01:17 AM
Nice fish!
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/11/12 02:19 AM
Fish really turned on this morning after storms yesterday.
Mrs. G's CNBG below.

Great fish George!
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/11/12 12:47 PM
[quote=george1]Fish really turned on this morning after storms yesterday.
Mrs. G's CNBG below.

Thanks Cason – CNBG lost his color before I could get camera ready.
Photo below is example of pure Florida CNBG genetic confirmation that I select –copper nose, crème tip tail fins and fewer, broader vertical stripes.

Really have some good ones this year in spite of record drought and heat wave last couple of summers – released several pushing 2lbs – hope to hit the magic number this year. Ours get broader and thicker when they hit 10-11 inches –
Can’t wait to see some of your monster HSB….

Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/12/12 09:56 AM
very nice cnbg george beautiful colors. Caught them with a pellet fly? Do you target them differently than the hybrids?
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/12/12 10:25 AM
James, as you know, fish are not that predictable - they have to tell you what to do .... my current generation of HSB won't take pellets at all even tho grown out on fead pellets at the fish farm.
Gonna have to feed them spin flies or white clousers - tied up some glo minnow flies but didn't get to try them this week.

Water is turbid after all the rain.
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/15/12 12:02 AM
As luck would have it George, we set a new pond record today. I wish my friends had better FPPT to show just how impressive this fish was. It could be my proudest moment as a pond owner.

This HSB broke the 10lb mark!

Here is a 7lb from today.

Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/15/12 02:43 AM
We have caught 8-9 lb HSB. I hope to get to 10 lbs this year. We need to make it this year as that crop of HSB are nearing their life expectancy.
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/15/12 11:47 AM

As luck would have it George, we set a new pond record today. I wish my friends had better FPPT to show just how impressive this fish was. It could be my proudest moment as a pond owner.

This HSB broke the 10lb mark!

Cason, you just made my day - CONGRATULATIONS!

We have caught 8-9 lb HSB. I hope to get to 10 lbs this year. We need to make it this year as that crop of HSB are nearing their life expectancy.

Eric, I knew you could do it!
You guys are setting the bar very high for us wannabes!
CONGRATULATIONS!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/15/12 05:04 PM
Made another trip up to Gavins Point Dam yesterday, hoping to catch some fish just before those storms rolled in. The bite was "slow", so to speak, but we still caught fish and had a good time. We drove into the teeth of the storm on the way back.

Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/15/12 05:13 PM
Oh, one more thing if Bill or Travis, or someone else would like to lend their thoughts. At some point during the drive back home, the batteries died on my minnow bucket. Considering the conditions I was driving through, I didn't really care and didn't change them out. There was only one fish still breathing when I arrived home and it wasn't a FHM. Another angler added some minnows to my bucket as he was leaving the river so I'm now not sure if this fish came with the ones I bought or was one that he added. Anyway, am really curious what you think it is.

EDIT - He has since died and now his fins are flared up.

Thinking stickleback.

Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/15/12 05:57 PM
I believe you are right. They are common in FHM that you buy from the bait shop, at least around here.

The worst of the storms miss you?
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/15/12 06:24 PM
The worst of the storms miss you?

We got a lot of rain and tornado warnings, but none of the real ugly stuff that hit south of us. I took I-29 back down yesterday and hit just loads of rain just south of Sioux City. My buddy went a different route, on the Nebraska side, and drove through water covered streets.

Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/18/12 11:40 AM
Eric I think the life expectancy is greater than you think. What do you think the age limit is? The biggest problem we have with ours at this point is the tackle required to catch them has gone up in size and many of the fish now have hooks in their mouths from broken line.
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/18/12 01:51 PM
James here is the data.

https://srac.tamu.edu/index.cfm/event/getFactSheet/whichfactsheet/54/

The usual life span of
hybrid striped bass is 5 to 6 years--
more similar to white bass than to
striped bass (30 to 40 years).
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/18/12 10:48 PM
Cason,
Your fish rock, BTW how old are your hybrid striped bass and have you restocked any of them recently?

Ewest, up north here I would disagree with the typical lifespan of 5-6 years. We will see though, I stocked year old fish in 2007 and still have most of the originals with no signs of them nearing death.

I have electrofished many area fishing club lakes who have hybrid stripers well over 10 years old. Those fish typically grow alot slower than my pellet fed fish, but they are still nice 4-6 lb fish.
Posted By: F-H Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/19/12 04:39 AM
Yes - Stickleback for sure
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/19/12 04:56 AM
Sorry just saw the fish Josh, it's a 9 spine stickleback. Very common fish to get mixed in with bait FHM. Cool little aquarium fish. They would be fine as forage fish in a pond IMO as well.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/19/12 03:07 PM
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
They would be fine as forage fish in a pond IMO as well.

Really? I keep hearing that fish don't prefer them to eat. Not sure if it's the spines or a taste thing, but that's what people have told me when they've attempted to use them as bait.
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/22/12 02:15 PM
Cason,
Your fish rock, BTW how old are your hybrid striped bass and have you restocked any of them recently?

Ewest, up north here I would disagree with the typical lifespan of 5-6 years. We will see though, I stocked year old fish in 2007 and still have most of the originals with no signs of them nearing death.

I have electrofished many area fishing club lakes who have hybrid stripers well over 10 years old. Those fish typically grow alot slower than my pellet fed fish, but they are still nice 4-6 lb fish.

Nate,
We restocked some HSB three years ago. I would guess that this fish was part of our 2006 initial stocking. It appears that few of those fish are left in the pond, so I would say that Eric's numbers are pretty close for southern ponds. All of the fish pictured were caught on live bait FWIW.
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/22/12 10:41 PM
Eric if what you are saying is true what is a realistic size to shoot for as a trophy?
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/23/12 01:10 AM
Trophy is in the eye of the beholder. IMO anything over 8 lbs is a trophy HSB. Keep in mind I am new at HSB stocking as well.
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/23/12 01:36 AM
Its funny you say that eric because three years ago I would have said five pounds was a trophy now Im thinking over ten. I had a funny thing happen this weekend. I bought a shipment of shiners from andersons and had them add some black saltys to the order. I let them go in some thick grass along the shore line thinking the bass wouldn't come up into shallow water in cover to get them. boy was I wrong. At least the fishing was good in a foot of water for a while. I think that was the end of trying black saltys as a forage.
Posted By: bz Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/23/12 02:31 AM
You guys are catching some magnificant fish already this year. My ice went out a month early up here in MN so I have got some fishing in. I'm just a bluegill and crappie guy so i can't show any big bass pics. Here's the pond record crappie so far at 2 pounds 2 ounces and a large HBG that isn't the record but is 1 pound 7 ounces. That tray on the scale is 10 inches long so the fish is over 10 inches.

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/23/12 09:17 AM
BZ; Pretty serious fish.Congrats
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/23/12 12:10 PM
What a Crappie!!!
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/23/12 02:04 PM
Nice fish BZ. What is in the pond in addition to HBG & Crappie ?
Posted By: bz Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/23/12 02:08 PM
Thanks guys, the only other thing in the pond are LMB. I cull them out at about 2 to 3 pounds.
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/23/12 02:11 PM
James every study I have seen shows extremely high initial morts on small stocked fish ( <4 in.)into a water with adult predators (LMB and others). Habituation is critical.
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/24/12 01:38 AM
Great fish BZ.

Eric I agree with you. Anything over 8lb is a trophy HSB in my pond. That's only two fish so far. We've had several 6-7lb, but 8's are another story.
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/24/12 11:21 AM
First 5lb HSB I ever caught was a trophy for me - then a 7 pounder - an 8lb HSB is my trophy goal.
I believe small ponds are at a disatvantage to you big pond/lake guys.
grin
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/26/12 12:41 PM
Took the wife fishing a couple days over the weekend. Conditions were tough and I guess the majority of people were having a hard time finding fish. We did quite well, however, netting at least 10 different species.

My reason for posting, however, is about this fish. I posted it over at Big Bluegill last night and the guys seemed to question this fish's genetics. My objective during these outings was to get my wife on some fish, not necessarily myself, so I didn't examine the fish as thoroughly as I might have otherwise. This is the only photo of this fish. He was very thick. This lake was flooded over the summer, then locked back up recently, and there is just a smorgasbord of species now. When I caught it, I assumed GSF. The guys at BBG are thinking either HBG or possibly GSF x PS. What say you guys?

Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/26/12 12:48 PM
HBG it looks just like what I stocked in my pond.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/26/12 02:16 PM
You are really mastering the "just woke up" look in the first picture with the walleye!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/26/12 02:21 PM
Haha! It's being pointed out that I guess I make some interesting faces while getting my picture taken with a fish. My wife laughed at this one...

And then there's this one...

Thinking about making goofy faces my schtick...
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/26/12 02:29 PM
You were just happy to catch another Drum.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/26/12 02:43 PM
That was a little one. Though her BG was a big one.

Here's a bigger drum.

Saw this fish chase my jig close to shore. Tossed it back out hoping he stuck around. Third cast in the same spot he nailed it.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/27/12 03:24 AM
I took Noah out fishing on Sunday after Church and we had a BLAST! This boy is only 4 yrs old and he fished hardcore with me for almost 4 hrs out in a boat!!!

Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/27/12 03:31 AM
Catching hogs like that will keep a 4 year old entertained! Teaching young kids to fish in well managed private bodies of water makes things so much easier! Awesome stuff!
Posted By: spinnerbait Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/27/12 07:48 AM
Look at that smile! He will remember that forever.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/27/12 10:35 AM
"Dad...... fishing was dynamite" he kept saying. At one point he even offered to let his grandpa and uncle real in one of his fish cause he was "catching" them all.
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/27/12 10:55 AM
"Dad...... fishing was dynamite" he kept saying. At one point he even offered to let his grandpa and uncle real in one of his fish cause he was "catching" them all.

Memories are forever - priceless!
You are a good dad Nate!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/27/12 12:23 PM
That kid may never truly know what good parents he has!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/27/12 01:12 PM
That is as good as it gets right there.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/27/12 03:40 PM
Did you keep any of the fish?

I can not remember do you like to eat drum?

Here's a bigger drum.

Saw this fish chase my jig close to shore. Tossed it back out hoping he stuck around. Third cast in the same spot he nailed it.

Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/27/12 03:49 PM
At least those are your well managed waters. I started my daughter out on the river close to the house as I caught many fish there. Mainly drum and carp, but it was still fun to get out and have a nice fight.

Well back to the story she liked going there and caught her largest fish to date which was about a 5 pound carp, which we had to keep and try to clean without much success. But now if we actually go fishing somewhere her patience is pretty then. I hate it that she has turned out this way but I guess I should have taken her somewhere else to learn as then she would understand it is fishing and you are not always guaranteed fish.

But at the river you are more than likely going to catch something. May not be big enough or fit to eat but usually get some action. She always asks "where was it I caught the big fish daddy, huh, why can we go there, what was it called again" "When can we go back". At any rate I tell her it was a carp and we you caught it right there on the river. All I know is she enjoys going out and asks every weekend if I can take her fishing, I just wish she understood I can not go all the time AS MUCH AS I WOULD LIKE TO, daddy has things at the house we have to get done. But I try to take her as much as I can and just pray she stays interested in going. Such good memories and experiences are formed.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/27/12 03:55 PM
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
Did you keep any of the fish?

I can not remember do you like to eat drum?

Here's a bigger drum.

Forgot the fish basket in the car and it was a bit of a hike so we ended up releasing everything.

And drum are delicious.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/27/12 05:37 PM
I took Noah out fishing on Sunday after Church and we had a BLAST! This boy is only 4 yrs old and he fished hardcore with me for almost 4 hrs out in a boat!!!

This just made my month. Wow...how cool on every level is that? You have a mini-Nate on your hands...bet he doesn't let you out of his sight very often. True blessings Nate!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/27/12 05:39 PM
Josh where are you catching those WE? On minnow/bobber? Those look like nice stocker sizes into Cottonwood Pond!

I do not believe PS genetics are likely on that HBG - not that common down here. 99% certain it's a really nice HBG [GSFxBG].
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/27/12 05:46 PM
Josh where are you catching those WE? On minnow/bobber? Those look like nice stocker sizes into Cottonwood Pond!

I do not believe PS genetics are likely on that HBG - not that common down here. 99% certain it's a really nice HBG [GSFxBG].

Desoto. 1/8 jig and minnow. No bobber. Though I may incorporate a slip bobber next trip. Lost probably a dozen jigs at this spot.

Thanks for the ID. That makes 19 species for me this year!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/28/12 12:34 AM
19 wow! Great you are getting your wife into the action. Those are some decent WE.
Posted By: JamesBryan Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/28/12 01:16 AM
Excellent fishing guys!!And Nate......how cool is that? Poor kids ruined for life though....how do you outdo this?
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/28/12 03:24 AM
Nate, you're creating a monster! Great pics!!!!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/28/12 11:50 AM
At this stage in his fishing career, the little ones are just as important to him, if not more intriguing. "are we gonna take a picture of this one" was the question while reeling in every fish. He couldn't put the connection between what fish got pictures and what fish didnt. They were all special.

When my dad took me fishing it was basically I could come along and pretty much fend for myself and keep myself entertained for 4-8 hrs. When I take my kids fishing, the focus is 100% on them, conversation, answering questions, throwing rocks, searching for frogs, talking about fish, etc and usually even then I only keep these outings 15-45 minutes. This was Noah's first in the boat all day excursion and it did get long for him, but he was so proud of himself for the accomplishment as we prepared and planned for his big day out with the guys.

I have taken this same approach with all 3 of my kids and all of my nieces and nephews and 13 out of 13 are hooked on fishing and spending time with their uncles outdoors.
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/29/12 12:07 AM
Eric can you help me find a chart to show what a 27 inch hybrid should weigh? We didnt get a girth but did get the length. One of my friends killed a huge 25 incher today by somehow cutting his gill. The thing had blood in the water everywhere.
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/29/12 12:08 AM
Nate those are awesome pictures
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/29/12 11:29 AM
Eric can you help me find a chart to show what a 27 inch hybrid should weigh? We didnt get a girth but did get the length. One of my friends killed a huge 25 incher today by somehow cutting his gill. The thing had blood in the water everywhere.

James, "Inspired by Nature" website has a good Length/Weigth calculator that I have found to be reliable.
IBN chart for Hybrid Striper:
25 inches - 8.71 lbs
27 inches - 11.09

WOW!!!! cool
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/29/12 12:55 PM
thanks george i went to the website and could not down load or find it. I didnt catch either of the two big fish if I had I would have made a mount for my cabin of the bigger one. The hybrids were really biting this weekend
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/29/12 04:39 PM
James, here is the website but I can’t find the fish calculator download.
IIRC Bill Cody is the one that recommended this site years ago – maybe he can help.

http://www.ibnature.com/
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/29/12 07:56 PM

(Ooops not from a pond)
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/29/12 10:14 PM
Well, we needed more pics!
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 04/30/12 02:17 AM
is that your dock zep
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/01/12 11:46 PM
Has anyone tried fishing with black saltys from andersons fish farm
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/02/12 01:00 AM
is that your dock zep

It is James...but not for long.
We have a buyer!
Hopefully be closing within two weeks.
Heck I had to find a way to pay for the new pond.

Lake Fork Dock For Sale (sale pending)
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/05/12 11:08 PM
Hit up a buddy's place last night. Crappie were biting when I first showed up, then we went after the cats. Caught three nice ones. My buddy couldn't figure out how to get the glare off the pics taken from my iPhone, but I thought I'd share some of the "Whoops!" pictures...

And this was the best of the evening. 25.5"

Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/07/12 09:16 PM
Nice cats!!!
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/09/12 07:17 PM
couple of fish from this weekend.
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/09/12 07:37 PM

Way to go James!
What is your weapon of choice?
Those are fatties!
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/09/12 08:13 PM
Nice fish James ! You need a pocket scale with a tape. laugh
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/09/12 08:33 PM
Thanks George! I usually am so worried about the fish dying I often measure them without taking a picture but the one on the dock was already dead. I weighed it but it wasnt huge so I forgot what it weighed. I think around eight pounds. The other one my dad was holding he really wanted a picture. The one he is holding is 25 inches and we caught another one he has the picture of that was 27 inches. The 27 incher is the largest we have caught so far. The fish seem to have an increased mortality with the larger fish swallowing the hook. Thats what happened to the one on the dock. We have been using gizzard shad from the pond for bait which also increses the mortality. I think these fish are from the original stocking but I could be wrong.
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/09/12 08:35 PM
Eric how big are your hybrids getting?
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/10/12 03:38 AM
We caught a bunch of stripers over the weekend! They are packing on the lbs...

Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/10/12 11:04 AM
Thanks George! I usually am so worried about the fish dying I often measure them without taking a picture but the one on the dock was already dead. I weighed it but it wasnt huge so I forgot what it weighed. I think around eight pounds. The other one my dad was holding he really wanted a picture. The one he is holding is 25 inches and we caught another one he has the picture of that was 27 inches. The 27 incher is the largest we have caught so far . The fish seem to have an increased mortality with the larger fish swallowing the hook. Thats what happened to the one on the dock. We have been using gizzard shad from the pond for bait which also increses the mortality. I think these fish are from the original stocking but I could be wrong.

James, my IBN calculator say a 27 inch HSB weighs 11.07 lbs!!!
WOW and CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Any one else dares a guess?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/10/12 11:59 AM
WOW, n8ly!

Is that Drake?
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/10/12 06:26 PM
yep, thats drake. he is a fishing fool. he knows how to say fishy and fishing!!
Posted By: jludwig Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/10/12 07:02 PM
James, my IBN calculator say a 27 inch HSB weighs 11.07 lbs!!!
WOW and CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Any one else dares a guess?

I would say in the neighborhood of ten lbs or so.
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/11/12 02:08 AM
It looks 10 lbs to me.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/14/12 02:38 AM
We caught some good fish of many species on Monday evening at the proving grounds.

Got some crazy stuff going on in this 30 acre lake. Nothing natural about it. It was the most sterile lake on the planet back in 2003 when we purchased it. Took me a few years and plenty of experiments gone wrong, but we are turning the corner and transforming it into one of the finest multi-species fisheries on the planet.
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/14/12 02:50 AM

It was the most sterile lake on the planet back in 2003 when we purchased it.

whoa....those are some very nice fish. Good job!
Posted By: ozarkstriperscom Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/14/12 02:55 AM
very nice fish....Thats a true "honey hole"
Posted By: ozarkstriperscom Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/14/12 02:58 AM
If you had to take a guess at it how old would you say those hsb are?
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/14/12 03:01 AM
Dream fishery right there for anyone who enjoys fishing diversity. Just incredible.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/14/12 03:23 AM
Originally Posted By: ozarkstriperscom
If you had to take a guess at it how old would you say those hsb are?

If I had to take a wild guess at the age of those stripers I would have to say 6 years, 11 months, 12 days.... Plus or minus about 2 weeks give or take. Their first 11 months were spent growing out in a hatchery. Then their first summer at my lake I grew them out in a big net before releasing them that fall.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/14/12 04:13 AM
Excellent fish. Congratulations on creating such a great fishery.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/14/12 04:19 AM
Nice fish Nate!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/14/12 10:51 AM
What steps did you take to "un-sterilize" it?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/14/12 12:45 PM

What are the stats on that fish? Crazy big looking in the pic...
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/15/12 12:14 PM
CJ, it was a crazy big female bluegill that took a #3 mepps spinner, but it wasnt as big as the pic makes it look. My guess is between 30-34 oz. We have a bunch of bluegill in the 26-30 oz range, but this one was just a cut above the rest.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/15/12 01:02 PM
Dave,

When we bought this lake in 2003 it had a bunch of green sunfish, a small number of skinny 2 lb largemouth bass, and every third or fourth fishing trip you could catch a big 8-9" bluegill. Very little aquatic vegetation, no cover, zero runoff as the lakes sits on top of a huge hill, and visibility down about 20'.

At first we started dumping in things like lime, fertilizer, windmill aerators, all kinds of fish, all kinds of aquatic vegetation, trees, catfish food, etc. (thats when I got started helping other people with their ponds and lakes cause I knew where to buy all that crap) Absolutely anything and everything that had to do with pond and lake management we were dumping in and trying. After a couple years of growing some monster catfish and some marginal success with some big smallmouth bass, along with lots of scams with the likes of the georgia giant people, arkansas free fish guy, "hybrid" crappie, broken windmills, feeders that didn't work, etc etc, I stumbled upon the Pond Boss website, spent a couple years stalking Bob Lusk and the rest is history.

Here is the kicker to this lake, swimming is actually the main activity of the lake so everything I do with fish these days has to maintain at least 10' of clean clear water or momma aint happy. Also growing trophy fish is not the focus either. Large numbers of multiple species is the focus. Most people that fish are very inexperienced anglers catching a fish for their first time, or catching a new species they would never encounter in their lifetime elsewhere.

Most of the good fish in the lake are stocked fish. It is still very hard to grow a fish from start to finish in here. We have lots of natural reproduction of many species, but those fish just dont have what it takes to grow into good adults in this environment (blessing and a cursing) To overcome that we have our own hatchery, cages, etc to grow em up to size and stock them large enough to get over the hump and turn into adult fish.

This info is just a drop in the bucket to what goes on in this lake, but its the proving grounds for observing and manipulating fish populations.
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/15/12 02:10 PM
Can you say extensive management !!!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/15/12 02:51 PM
Being able to age and ID the origin and life history of every single fish in a 30 acre lake is a little over the top right? You wanna know what is even crazier is that its all in my stinkin head (yes I know I am not normal).. Every fish since 2003.. We are talking thousands and thousands and thousands of fish from over 12 different hatcheries in the US. Every species and subspecies that I can get my hands on has been experimented with.
Posted By: mnfish Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/15/12 03:19 PM
Nate,
That is truely impressive! Have a fish distributor that I work with here in MN (John C.), and he has commented to me on the projects you work on and there "cool factor". And I thought I was OCD on pond management. smile
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/15/12 03:24 PM
Nate, that's simply crazy - you are crossing boundaries and achieving remarkable things. Trophy WE, HSB, SMB, BCP, BG...are you kidding me? Nutso, hat's off to you. Absolutely love it.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/15/12 04:02 PM
While Lusk was in Omaha with Bing and some other guys at the Warren Buffet thing I offered to spend the afternoon with Youngblood at the pond. We caught/collected a few dozen CSBG for my cages then started feeding the HSB. He tied into a nice 19"er

Last weekend the kids had the urge to do some fishing/swimming. About 3 weeks early on the swimming - but figured if they could handle the mid 60 temps, I'd let them go for it.

Sure look confident before hitting the water

My son jumped in, began crying because of the shock of the icy water temps, and I had to lift him out! My daughter learned and decided to adopt a more deliberate approach:

After a few minutes to acclimate, they were still pretty chilly! Can you hear the chattering teeth?

After they dried off and warmed up, they caught a few CSBG first

Then we moved onto the HSB:

Violet caught a 17" fish - little on the trim side:

August topped it with a fish just under 20", and full of either AM LMB pellets or hopefully BG!

I tried my hand at landing that elusive 25-26" female I keep seeing hammering the AM LM pellets - hooked two fish, but lost them. Gotta beef up the tackle!

All in all, good day at Hudson Pond!
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/15/12 04:32 PM
Beautiful kids - fish too!!!!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/15/12 04:45 PM
Thanks Geo!

I like tru-turn baitholder hooks for your pellet flies as the barbs on the shank hold the fly well, and I get solid hookups on nearly every fish with the tru turn design. However, even a #4 isn't strong enough for HSB. I am thinking of switching to a #4 octopus [WE] hook instead. I may miss some fish, but can't afford my hooks getting straightened and losing Moby again! Any other hook recommendations?
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/15/12 05:02 PM
TJ, I like #6 Eagle Claw "baitholder" hooks for AQMX 600 pellets but Mustad baitholder hooks are good as well - barbs on hook shank keeps hook gape away from pellet fly.
Sure like the color of your HSBs!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/15/12 05:09 PM
You should adopt Young Blood.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/15/12 07:17 PM
Hudson, I believe I was in your pond this time last year while it was 101 degrees outside.... It was like 60 degrees in Peoria and then Bang 100 degrees in Lincoln outta nowhere.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/15/12 11:18 PM
TJ, I like #6 Eagle Claw "baitholder" hooks for AQMX 600 pellets but Mustad baitholder hooks are good as well - barbs on hook shank keeps hook gape away from pellet fly.
Sure like the color of your HSBs!

I'm going to buy some tonight online. I should have known better than to fish with heavy wire hooks. Still, pretty cool to see one of my babies straighten a hook!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/15/12 11:19 PM
Hudson, I believe I was in your pond this time last year while it was 101 degrees outside.... It was like 60 degrees in Peoria and then Bang 100 degrees in Lincoln outta nowhere.

Are you coming back soon? I want to put in diving platform and a zipline. Maybe you'll have some time to knock those out...probably take you all of 30 minutes with your bro and crew!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/15/12 11:21 PM

Processing fees too high.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/15/12 11:41 PM

Processing fees too high.

LMAO!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/15/12 11:56 PM
It's expensive to adopt.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/16/12 03:15 AM
TJ:

I like Owner hooks. Really sharp, and I've yet to have one break or straighten out. Broken Gamagatsu hooks, but not an Owner.

Ya know, there ARE drag settings on the reels................ wink grin and "buttoned down as tight as you can twist it" isn't one of them!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/16/12 03:21 AM
It's expensive to adopt.

Not if you put him to work.....On another note, nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught....25-26" hsber, lets see it to believe it.
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/17/12 10:12 PM
Ok this didn't come out of my pond,
but I caught it yesterday on a slab fishing for sand bass.
My biggest cat at 9 lbs.
Lake Grapevine, Texas

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/17/12 11:18 PM
What a healthy and fat BC. I take it there was no release - except into the grease? wink
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/18/12 12:15 AM
TJ....is that what it is? A blue cat? I would have released,
but the guys I was with said "heck no we'll fry him up".
Posted By: beastman Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/18/12 01:31 AM
Enjoy all the photos people post
, this is not my pond/lake ( I wish ) it is private though and those are pellet fed HSB, and nice BG.

hopefully the images work, I had posted awhile back for help catching pellet fed HSB, thanks for all the advice. I had 3 different scales but not sure any were working that well, any guess on the weight of these? I think the one's I posted are between 23-26in

Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/18/12 01:39 AM
Nice fish! The HSB x HBG combo is killer....
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/18/12 02:03 AM
What a mess of string stretchers.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/18/12 02:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Zep
TJ....is that what it is? A blue cat? I would have released,
but the guys I was with said "heck no we'll fry him up".

Rounded Anal fin = CC. Straight = BC I think that there are other differences (slight differences) too.

You did right keeping it. I don't know if it would have survived if released the way it was bleeding.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/18/12 05:27 AM
Anal fin ray count and if you have seen a pile of them, you can see other slight variations that give them away 80-90% of the time...
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/20/12 04:28 PM
Fun day at the pond yesterday.....

small pond drive-by

Horsies takin bath in Texas temps already nearing 90
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/20/12 06:59 PM
Zep, I like that single-man boat!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/20/12 06:59 PM
With a gas engine to boot!!
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/20/12 07:37 PM
Sunil...thats my brother's boat. I love that little mini-bass boat. It's exactly like a big boat, except it's like 8 feet long. Some local Texas company made them back in the 80's-90's. I wish they still made them! I told him to leave it to me in his will...lol. We tried it out for the first time on the new pond yesterday.

Posted By: Captain1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/21/12 02:54 PM
New Pond record! A friend caught this 22" 6+lb LMB in our 4 year old lake. Caught at high noon on a bright sunny day on a Watermelon Senko in about 10 feet of water.

Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/21/12 03:06 PM
Nice!!!
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/21/12 04:15 PM
wow Captain1 that is healthy looking bass
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/22/12 05:23 PM
Great looking fish.
Like the way he's holding him.
Did you put him back?
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/23/12 07:25 PM
I love the coloring on the fish. Very pretty fish.
Posted By: Captain1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/24/12 03:19 AM
Yes, we put him back in after the pictures. He was cleanly hooked in the mouth. Later that day I caught a 4 lb fish making it the best big bass day for that pond. The 4lb fish had swallowed the hook and I cut the line. I hope that it survived, because it was also a beautiful and fat fish. I have read that gill hooked fish rarely survive but that swallowed hook fish can make it. is that so?
Here is another angle.

Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/24/12 03:37 AM
Bluegill pics from fishing my lake on Saturday. If you look closely you will see many different strains of regular and hybrid bluegill.

Posted By: Captain1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/24/12 03:46 AM
Good Lord! what incredible bluegill! What an accomplishment.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/24/12 04:17 AM
Bruce would be proud.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/24/12 04:24 AM
nate, that female looks like she's going to explode! Beautiful fish!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/24/12 08:52 AM
These pics are the definition of success.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/24/12 12:05 PM
Captain1, a gut hooked fish usually can make it; hopefully it wasn't bleeding at all, or at least too badly.
Posted By: RER Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/24/12 01:15 PM
n8ly ,
by hybrid you mean CNBG and regular BG strain cross actual HBG?
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/24/12 01:24 PM
Captain1....does your shirt say "Lake City, Colorado"?

My brother has a cabin in Lake City near the Packer Massacre site.

We've been going to Lake City every summer the last 40 years.
Posted By: Captain1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/24/12 02:58 PM
Zep, yes- that's my buddy that caught the fish. He vacations in Lake City each summer. He leaves next week for a month in Colorado.
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/24/12 03:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Captain1
Zep, yes- that's my buddy that caught the fish. He vacations in Lake City each summer. He leaves next week for a month in Colorado.

wow...small world
a month in the Rockies...lucky dog
that's my dream one day
June/July/August = In Colorado escaping Texas heat
Rest of the year @ Pond in East Tx and/or College Football
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/24/12 03:40 PM
N8ly, can you tell us more about the strains of BG? Interesting just how dark many are...
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/24/12 04:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Captain1
The 4lb fish had swallowed the hook and I cut the line. I hope that it survived, because it was also a beautiful and fat fish. I have read that gill hooked fish rarely survive but that swallowed hook fish can make it. is that so?

Captain, I don't know if they all survive swallowing hooks, but this one of mine passed the hook.

Posted By: Captain1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/24/12 08:48 PM
Zep, he is a lucky dog between jobs and has a couple months to play. He plans on hiking the 14ers and trout fishing over that time.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/25/12 10:36 AM
Bobby, most of my hybrids that I have are bluegill mixed with green sunfish or bluegill mixed with redear sunfish (not pictured).

CJ, I have raised and stocked bluegills from pretty much every major hatchery in the United States. I also get bluegills from many of my other ponds.

I have the lake so full of every kind of predator, that bluegill would eventually become extinct if it werent for raising and supplementally stocking them.
Posted By: Illinois Joe Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/26/12 01:45 PM
I caught 8 small bluegill for my 6ft back yard pond and cut the line and left in the hooks they swallowed. They lived two years and grew to full size.

I've also used lures as decoration in my aquarium, seen the hooks rust up in a matter of days and also read that the acid in the fish dissolves them even faster (seems possible).

Never had a bleeding fish live however.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/28/12 12:54 AM
Got to fish my pond for a spell today while catching BG to transport to my neighborhood retention pond. This LMB was just over 4lbs. and caught on a shiner:

Posted By: rmedgar Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/28/12 01:25 AM
Healthy looking fish, bro. Male or female?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/28/12 01:33 AM
Randy, I don't know for sure, but I think female. It had a pretty angular bulge in it's gut, so it seemed pretty healthy.

I feel this LMB was stocked in my pond in '05. At the time of stocking, it was at least a year old at 12-14". It was during that 2005 Bass Master Classic, and a lot of those LMB that I got had injuries in the center of their lower jaws. This bass had that sign on his jaw.

So this LMB could be 8-9 years old. He/She's survived a lot of scumbag poachers, and perhaps I've caught it a time or two in the past.
Posted By: ozarkstriperscom Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/28/12 02:15 AM
I dont know about the green carp but the rain sure looks beautiful....
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/28/12 02:34 AM
Originally Posted By: ozarkstriperscom
I dont know about the green carp but the rain sure looks beautiful....

So THAT'S what those dimples on the water are. We haven't had any here for so long that I forgot.

Nice fish Sunil!
Posted By: KingRace78 Healthy Lookin - 05/28/12 07:19 AM

Lori caught today, we caught a bunch 16" - 17" but this was the only one of size

Posted By: Dwight Re: Healthy Lookin - 05/29/12 12:58 AM
Jesse caught this 20" post spawn LMB on Bremerpond (guided by the stick) on Sunday afternoon.

Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/29/12 01:29 AM
Got to fish my pond for a spell today while catching BG to transport to my neighborhood retention pond. This LMB was just over 4lbs. and caught on a shiner:

Nice fish Sunil!
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/29/12 01:36 AM
Nice fish sunil. You have beautifully clear water what a beautiful pond.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/29/12 01:56 AM

Hey! Where were those things when we visited a few weeks ago? All we got were your cast-off bullheads!

Actually, the bullheads, which were the biggest I'd ever caught or seen, were delicious and greatly enjoyed. About 40 people enjoyed half of them at our Memorial Day party at Gary's place. The other half will be cooked at our place for a Father's Day celebration that will include 40-50 people.

Anyway, beautiful bass.

Sunil's pond is one of the most incredible fisheries anywhere. He has grown a lot of fish that are typically only
seen hanging on sport shop walls. I'd have to say that I've never caught bigger yellow perch or bullheads anywhere. His smallmouth are morbidly obese. The LMB that patrol the shoreline are scary big, and look like clown-sized baseball bats pushing through the water.

Anyway, beautiful fish. You sure do have a great fishery.
Posted By: Zep Re: Healthy Lookin - 05/29/12 02:12 AM
Originally Posted By: KingRace78

Lori caught today, we caught a bunch 16" - 17" but this was the only one of size

Healthy looking fish...what was the bait?
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/29/12 02:16 AM
I was trying to get some weights on these hybrids. It seems that once they get to a certain length each inch really adds a lot of weight. the first fish weighed over a pound more than the second one even though its only a couple of inches longer. the second one weighed less than seven and the first one weighed more than eight. the first one was about twenty five inches and the second one about twenty three. Sorry for the poor pictures but here is my photography helper. He makes it harder than easier
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/29/12 03:26 PM
Nice fish James! I see one head helper and one tail helper.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/29/12 03:34 PM
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Hey! Where were those things when we visited a few weeks ago? All we got were your cast-off bullheads!

Actually, the bullheads, which were the biggest I'd ever caught or seen, were delicious and greatly enjoyed. About 40 people enjoyed half of them at our Memorial Day party at Gary's place. The other half will be cooked at our place for a Father's Day celebration that will include 40-50 people.

Anyway, beautiful bass.

Sunil's pond is one of the most incredible fisheries anywhere. He has grown a lot of fish that are typically only
seen hanging on sport shop walls. I'd have to say that I've never caught bigger yellow perch or bullheads anywhere. His smallmouth are morbidly obese. The LMB that patrol the shoreline are scary big, and look like clown-sized baseball bats pushing through the water.

Anyway, beautiful fish. You sure do have a great fishery.

I have to second Ken's comments - Sunil's pond is just amazing. Back in 2010 when we did our first regional gathering there, we were nailing LMB that were absolute hogs. That is one diverse, productive, and healthy fishery for sure, and this great looking fish is just one example of it.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Healthy Lookin - 05/29/12 03:42 PM
Very nice fish Dwight!!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/29/12 03:46 PM

Looks like a pretty good time to me!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/29/12 03:48 PM
I hope my HSB look that good some day.......
Posted By: KingRace78 Re: Healthy Lookin - 05/29/12 05:59 PM
Healthy looking fish...what was the bait?

This fish was caught on a 6" watermellon color worm.

This is a crappie I caught on a spinner bait.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Healthy Lookin - 05/29/12 06:56 PM
That's a big crappie!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/29/12 08:18 PM
Few fish from this weekend:

Another 11" RES - no signs it's the same fish, so I was pretty pumped!

21" HSB

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/29/12 08:20 PM
As you've likely noticed, along with some of my fish my personal WR is well over 100%. I'm going to quit snacking on AM LM and am adopting a strict diet of zooplankton - started yesterday. Will keep you posted on the results.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 05/29/12 08:21 PM
Very nice TJ!! great looking fish!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/29/12 08:21 PM
That's a pig, Sunil. Nicely done. Are those lilly pads in the background?
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/29/12 09:18 PM
Awesome TJ! You got some very plump RES going on there!
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/29/12 10:28 PM
that is an awesome red ear. I have stocked red ears but have never caught one
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/29/12 10:38 PM
Nice fish, TJ! Yes, those are some lily pads.
Posted By: spinnerbait Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/30/12 12:06 AM
Teejah,
How are you fishing for the RES?
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/30/12 12:26 AM
TJ, wow, what a porker. Oh, nice fish too.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/30/12 12:56 AM
That redear is awesome!!!!!!
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/30/12 01:48 AM
Nice RES !
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/30/12 01:57 AM
Nice RES.....-- RES=Red Eared Sandwich smile
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/30/12 05:35 PM
Originally Posted By: rmedgar
TJ, wow, what a porker. Oh, nice fish too.

Grrr...don't blame me, blame Purina.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/30/12 05:38 PM
So your RES are eating pellets..? That's awesome mine would never come around all the action the feeder gets.. This years the first I've seen 2 in 2 yrs..
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 Gut Hooked Fish - 05/30/12 05:40 PM
Originally Posted By: spinnerbait
Teejah,
How are you fishing for the RES?

My most reliable methods for RES angling are light jighead [1/32 or lighter] with crawler nub fished just off bottom or thill [float] and barbless #8 bait holder/crawler nub drifted just off bottom. I am rewarded with the occasional YP this way, too. Both species seem to be more benthic in their foraging patterns.

[Yeah, I DID just employ the term benthic, and I'm all shades of impressed with myself. Benthic, incidentally, also describes the location tendecies of JHAP when he takes off his water wings in the pool.]
Posted By: BigBassMan Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/02/12 01:18 AM
12" redear from Barkley Lake

Attached picture Redear 5-4-12.jpg
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/02/12 04:06 AM
Originally Posted By: BigBassMan
12" redear from Barkley Lake

Awesome fish! Do I see some BG genetics in there? The bronze belly sure makes it look like a RBG hybrid - but the mouth still looks very RES. Any expert opinions?
Posted By: highflyer Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/02/12 12:14 PM
Nice looking fish, any idea how old it is? Did you weigh it?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/02/12 12:18 PM
Here's a nice LMB I caught while on a "cull trip" last week. I usually stick to spinning rods, 4 lb line, and 4" Jackall Flick Shakes to entice the smaller LMB, but this one was obviously hungry.

She looks far healthier to me than what we were catching for the last few years. I'm guessing she was around 6-7 pounds. It seems like the more small LMB I pull from the lake, the healthier the bigger fish get. Who would have thought that?

Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/02/12 12:25 PM
That's exactly what will happen FiH. The more mouths you remove from the table, the more food there is for the ones left.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/02/12 12:32 PM
Boy ain't that the truth. I got tired of 24" LMB looking like super models. 6 months of removing 14" and smaller LMB has really started to pay off.

We usually stop fishing when the ice chest lid won't close, and fishing hasn't slowed down a bit. That tells me I had way to many LMB.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/02/12 05:58 PM
I removed 80 from my pond last year, and this Spring I counted over 100 LMB that were around 6". Lots more work to do!!
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/02/12 09:21 PM
Tested some weedless LMB deer hair flies this morning, designed to cast into heavy cover without hang-ups – they worked well in old flooded goat weed stalks, covered in places by water primrose.

Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/02/12 09:24 PM
good job george i love seeing you catch fish on your own flies it must really feel good to know a lure you made works
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/02/12 10:20 PM
Thanks James - I was testing these flies for a buddy that we swap stuff - he's better with deer hair than I .... I have some "Gutless Frogs" coming from an Aussie friend that work in heavy cover.
They run "hook point up" burying the hook point somewhat like a plastic worm - fun stuff!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/03/12 12:51 AM
Is that bottom LMB one of your pure FL LMB George?
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/03/12 11:20 AM
TJ, I'm pretty sure it is but it's from the main pond and could be a F1 - it's the right age and has the lateral line markings but not prominate.
The only ones I am sure of are in the brood pond.
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/03/12 11:32 AM
good job george i love seeing you catch fish on your own flies it must really feel good to know a lure you made works

James, you need start tyin' flies - you have a passion for the fishin' stuff. I have a good friend that shares your professsion and he's a really good tyer - and fisherman!
He even ties little bitsy trout flies - uses the kind of surgical magnifying glasses you guys use.
They have fly tying instruction sometimes at BassPro and Cabelas ...
Try it - wish I was closer...
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/03/12 01:00 PM
thanks george I may just have to give it a try
Posted By: docg Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/04/12 03:09 PM
some pics from our sunday afternoon fishing

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/04/12 08:54 PM
Doc, that's what it is all about. BTW, only one of them shows his teeth when he smiles.
Posted By: spinnerbait Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/05/12 02:07 AM
Look like some proud fisherman!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/05/12 02:47 AM
Way to go, docg!
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/05/12 03:55 AM
I see james holt and TJ both caught some of those "upside-down" HSB. Those are nice fish, but I think they would put on weight faster if you guys could teach them to swim "right-side-up". wink
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/07/12 07:19 PM
Took this F CSBG on a popper yesterday. Didn't measure, but that board is 6" wide...so I'm estimating around 19"!

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/08/12 01:52 AM
Uh, check your math
Posted By: dlyle Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/08/12 02:53 AM
Or your typing, perhaps. Still, beautiful fish, and we knew what you meant.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/08/12 03:02 AM
Just measured again it's grown to 21". Clearly a new world record!

My pond is dominated by stunted bg population so whenever I manage a bg exceeding 8" it's a pleasant surprise.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/08/12 03:05 AM
Take the 2 carry the 1 divide by 25 yep definitely 19"'s smile and that fly reels made out of a geo metro spare rim..
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/08/12 03:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Take the 2 carry the 1 divide by 25 yep definitely 19"'s smile and that fly reels made out of a geo metro spare rim..

There you go - thanks for playing, bgk!
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/08/12 03:19 AM
Dave, TJ's thinking he's in Texas........
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/08/12 08:35 AM
Naw, in Texiz we measure using a yard stick.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/08/12 11:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Naw, in Texiz we measure using a yard stick.

Here in Indiana, we don't count a fish if we can't "step it off" for a quick measurement...........
Posted By: F-H Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/09/12 05:14 AM
Caught about 20 last weekend like this. 1st real HARVEST in 4 years of pond managment. Figure I've got about 5 more fish frys in store this summer!!

Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/11/12 01:09 PM
This is our third HSB over 10lbs this year. It's been a great year for HSB, we've broken our pond record three times.

Another big cat. I love catching these hogs.

Nate,
That's a very impressive fishery you have going there. I'm a fan of shattering the norms. Way to go!
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/11/12 01:31 PM
cheyenne19...

great looking hybrid striped bass
what did you catch it on?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/11/12 03:42 PM
Holly Cow! No really, I used to know a girl named "Holly Cow."

Dang, Cason! Nice fish!
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/11/12 05:04 PM
Both were caught on GSF. The picture really doesn't do the HSB justice. It was a pig.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/11/12 07:35 PM
WOW! Amazing success story...should do a feature on this fishery for the magazine.

How large were your GSF for bait? Wondering the gape capability of a HSB that size. Thinking 4-5" GSF can be managed?
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/11/12 08:18 PM
can you translate "GSF"?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/11/12 08:20 PM
Green Sunfish
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/11/12 08:27 PM
thanks I looked for the translation page and couldnt find it....I know it's on this site somewhere.
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/12/12 12:59 AM
what was the length on the HSB? Great fish!
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/12/12 01:00 AM
How old do you think that fish was?
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/12/12 01:05 AM
I was looking at a 29 inch Hybrid striped bass that weighed 19pounds. They seem to get much more round after about 24 inches. I am still wondering what is going to be the limit in a pond or small lake?
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/12/12 01:11 AM
WOW! Amazing success story...should do a feature on this fishery for the magazine.

How large were your GSF for bait? Wondering the gape capability of a HSB that size. Thinking 4-5" GSF can be managed?

I've had them eat 6"+ GSF with no problem. If the article statement was aimed at me, there has already been one. It ran in the November/December '10 issue.
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/12/12 01:13 AM
What is your record hybrid right now? How long and what did it weigh?
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/12/12 01:27 AM
what was the length on the HSB? Great fish!

I didn't get to measure it James, or weigh it. I guessed it to be in the 10-12 pound range. It was easily our heaviest and longest HSB to date, and we've caught two over 10 pounds this year. My best guess on age is that it was from our original stocking in 2004, though it's possible that it was stocked in 2009. Given the size of the majority of our HSB now, my money is on the 2004 class. Very few of those fish remain, but they are hogs. This fish was the thickest HSB I've seen in my pond.
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/12/12 02:22 AM
my original stocking was in 05. there are only a few of them left. Mostly due to fisherman mortality. Are you feeding them? Do you have gizzard shad? Im wondering if the limiting factor is going to be how long they can keep fishermen from killing them.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/12/12 03:06 AM
Zep, when you can't find something, always remember to take a peek in the archives (Common Pond Q&A) It's the 4th thread down.
Posted By: Bocomo Table Rock Lake LMB - 06/12/12 07:21 AM
If you didn't have enough reasons to attend the Pond Boss Conference at Table Rock Lake this fall, here is one more, courtesy my brother Thomas.

This post-spawn 6# LMB hammered a spinnerbait this morning at around 6:30 am. Thomas was fishing from the bank using a 5' fast action rod and 4# test...it was quite a ride. Nothing like landing a fish that weighs more than the breaking strength of a line.
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/12/12 11:08 AM
Zep, when you can't find something, always remember to take a peek in the archives (Common Pond Q&A) It's the 4th thread down.

Bless you esshup.
I often feel like I'm in a foreign country and very lost...lol.
This translation page (I seemed to have lost along the way) will help.
Thanks again.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/12/12 12:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Zep

Bless you esshup.
I often feel like I'm in a foreign country and very lost...lol.
This translation page (I seemed to have lost along the way) will help.
Thanks again.

Don't worry, Zep. JHAP has felt like that for years and has given up the search for a cure....
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/12/12 12:47 PM
Don't worry, Zep. JHAP has felt like that for years and has given up the search for a cure....

Sunil...it makes me feel better I'm not alone! wink

I wonder if in the background program we could have all abreviations translated and actually appear as the full words to us rookies and slow learners? Or hyper-link all abbreviations so when you mouse over them the full words appear?

Are they going to have an abbreviation tutor class at the PBC?
(PBC translated = Pond Boss Conference)
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/12/12 12:58 PM
my original stocking was in 05. there are only a few of them left. Mostly due to fisherman mortality. Are you feeding them? Do you have gizzard shad? Im wondering if the limiting factor is going to be how long they can keep fishermen from killing them.

Yes, we feed aqua max LMB during the summer when our well is running. We also have a nice population of gizzard shad. We try to avoid catching them when the water temps get up.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/12/12 05:43 PM
Zep, great idea but absolutely no idea how to do that.

BTW, it doesn't take long to learn them.

You know, we don't have one called PJ for Pond Junkie or PB for Pond Bum..
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/12/12 07:06 PM
Dave....I am no computer guru but I would think all the abbreviations could be made into a database that when a mouse rolls over them they would display the full word. But like you say I am going to try and learn them....it's my fault...I always waited til the night before a test to cram study...maybe thats why I failed Trig in high school...however I do wonder how many newbies that are more casual viewers are as lost as I am sometimes.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/12/12 09:34 PM
I still have to look up some of them. However, there are about 25 or so most common that are used all the time. You'll catch onto those pretty quickly.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/15/12 02:26 AM
Bocomo, I recognize that bridge....Thanks for the pic!!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/15/12 02:30 AM
I caught a good fish last night:

My sister caught a good fish the other night:

Father In Law Memorial Day Weekend:

Brother In Law:

Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/15/12 02:35 AM
Hey Cason,
What did you do? Roll the HSB on the ground in the dirt for the pic?? That is a beast though!
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/15/12 03:31 AM
Nate, what did you catch the tiger on?
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/15/12 11:44 AM
I was working on the rope swing on the far side of the lake and on the way back across was trolling just a generic deep diving crankbait right down the middle of the lake. Was going very fast...
Posted By: docg Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/15/12 12:30 PM
did he go back in or was he sacrificed?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/15/12 08:35 PM
Biggest CNBG yet. Didn't measure him, but he had jowls so I assume he's fat and healthy. Feeding has definitely paid off.

Momma was happy.

Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/15/12 08:46 PM
Jowls. I love that!
Posted By: highflyer Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/16/12 02:27 AM
Nice looking fish Al, Great job!!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/16/12 03:56 AM
Feeding really is a joy!
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/16/12 07:29 PM
caught this on a tiny hook while fishing for bluegill. The bluegill are in the bucket.
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/17/12 02:19 AM
Dinner ?
Posted By: Gflo Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/17/12 05:19 PM
This is probably breaking the rules of this thread, but I'm not at a point in my life where I can own a pond.

Here is a fish my wife caught 2 days ago on a jig (minnow imitation similar to the zoom superflukes).

Scale read a little over 8 pounds, but seeing as it is a spring scale I don't trust it.

My best guess is around 7 pounds... What do you guys think? No other measurements. We put it back into the water asap.

Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/17/12 05:45 PM
No rules broken!

Nice fish......I'd guess over 7lbs.....
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/17/12 05:48 PM
Great fish...and I LOVE the picture! smile
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/17/12 08:02 PM
oh what i'd give to still be wearing jackets/hats like that two days ago.

it's already scorching hot in Texas.

nice fish Gflo!
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/17/12 08:22 PM
very pretty fish
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/18/12 01:06 AM
Thanks for the pic. Looks in good condition. Love that smile !
Posted By: Gflo Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/18/12 02:27 AM

Are you talking about the fish or making a pass at my wife?!?!?!
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/18/12 04:43 AM
Nice fish! Weigh a gallon of water on the scale. It should read 8.3#.
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/18/12 01:30 PM
A few from this year.

Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/18/12 05:15 PM
Hey Cason,
What did you do? Roll the HSB on the ground in the dirt for the pic?? That is a beast though!

I didn't catch the fish, but yes. The angler managed to roll it around a good bit before I got my hands on it.

This certainly isn't from me pond, but I thought I'd share anyway. My first yellowfin, and the best FPPT I could manage.

Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/18/12 05:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Gflo

Are you talking about the fish or making a pass at my wife?!?!?!

grin Just read back over my post. I guess it could be taken several ways.

Thanks for (sharing) the pic. Looks in good condition (the fish) . Love that smile (the expression of the lady in the pic) !

Ryan - nice fish !

Cason how much did that beast weigh ?
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/18/12 11:36 PM
Eric,
It was in the high 60's. My personal record, and man can those things fight!

Nate,
I meant to ask you how much that hog weighed that your father in law caught? It looked huge!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/19/12 12:00 AM
Cason, were you fishing in Venice? I am headed there July 1-4th for some Tuna Fishing!! I can see you guys were doing a little chunking..fun fun stuff! Blue water fishing is what I enjoy most!!

We didnt weigh the striper but we did eat her for dinner. She was full of eggs. The muskie tasted fabulous too. Im telling you if you havent eaten muskie you need to give it a try!!

Ryan, your pond and farm just looks fun!
Gflo, your wife does indeed look lovely and just fun, great pic. Congrats on the catch. (your wife, not the fish).
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/19/12 11:31 AM
For those of you that haven't spent time in East TX, we tend to have fun wherever we find it.

So, here's the details of the best Father's Day I've ever had.

1) We spent all morning cleaning up a peninsula to get it ready for fly fishing. George, have we got a surprise for you!

2) Taught my son to worm fish. He'd always been a chunk and wind guy, so this was a big day for him. We loaded the boat with small fish and then he caught this one on a Fluke (guessing 8-9 lbs). The boss said I had to PS her out since she looked fat on her Yak.

3) We drug out the steel plates, and shot Zombie guns in the pasture all afternoon and had a large time. At dusk, we decided that Tannerite was required, so anything that wasn't tied down got "blowed up".

4) After eating dinner, we saw beavers and decided they needed to be removed. They were.

It was just nice to spend time with the family and no one lost a limb.
Posted By: highflyer Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/19/12 11:48 AM
Sounds perfect!! cool
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/19/12 12:11 PM
Great report, FIH! That photo shop thing is pretty dang funny!
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/19/12 12:20 PM
Nate,
We were indeed in Venice. I'm impressed by your powers of observation. We were on the tuna for a while before we decided to chum, but when we did things picked up. We were out past mars, 75 miles out. Blue water fishing is definitely amazing. Who are you fishing with down there?
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/20/12 02:48 AM
Capt Josh Howard with Deep South Charters. Fished with him in February and had a blast! You?
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/20/12 12:46 PM
Peace Marvel with Peacekeeper Charters. Did you target wahoo in February?
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/22/12 03:50 AM

Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/22/12 12:26 PM
Nate, how do you like the taste of Wahoo compared to Tuna?

p.s. no cheating by resting the rod on the boat!!

I don't care what the books say, I think the Wahoo is the fastest fish in the ocean.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/22/12 08:57 PM
Wahoo is nice and sweet, but the fresh tuna is just hands down better.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/23/12 03:32 AM
Up until today I'd never caught a flathead bigger than 1 pound.

Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/23/12 04:02 AM
Holy smokes that's a good fish.....

You're not soaking wet, so I'm assuming you didn't noodle him? grin
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/23/12 04:07 AM
I caught it crankbaiting! A good friend of mine showed me the pattern. Great fights!!!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/23/12 04:26 AM
Nice Fish Bruce!!!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/23/12 05:01 AM
Woo hoo - that's a brute! Any photos of the cranks you were using?
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/23/12 07:02 AM
A crankbait for cats? This I gotta see.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/23/12 12:34 PM
When I used to Bass fish, it was not unheard of to take CC on sinking Rapala minnows, and I can definitely see a big Flathead hammering a crankbait.
Posted By: spinnerbait Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/23/12 01:33 PM
That flathead is well fed too. Nice fish!
Posted By: JKB Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/23/12 01:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
Up until today I'd never caught a flathead bigger than 1 pound.

Bruce should hook up with that dude on River Monsters!
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/23/12 02:17 PM
Jeremy Wade is my hero.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/23/12 02:19 PM
Jimi Hendrix is my hero. He has a song...Catfish Blues.....
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/23/12 04:45 PM
Catfish Hunter was a very good pitcher for the A's & Yankees...
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/23/12 06:24 PM
Interestingly enough, I just looked it up, and Catfish Hunter was Jeremy Wade's hero.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/23/12 07:13 PM
Bruce, what's the stats on that Flathead? Length and weight?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/23/12 07:44 PM
When, ever, are you throwing a crank bait and expect to hook into that thing?
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/23/12 07:54 PM
Great catch Bruce! Congrats.

There's a lake near us here where people troll for flatheads using crankbaits. They're predators and will strike a lure.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/23/12 08:07 PM
39 inches and an estimated 30 pounds. I was going by my friends estimate.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/23/12 10:09 PM
That's a huge fish! I don't think you'll be able to beat your personal Flathead record by that much again. wink
Posted By: JKB Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/23/12 10:54 PM
I think Hookedup12 smoked ya, Bruce laugh

Hope he don't mind me moving these here.

Fame is fleeting at times wink

I do like that show. Based on a couple earlier episodes, tell JHAP that his BCNCP won't do him any good! shocked laugh wink

Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/24/12 12:49 AM
I'd say Bruces is pushing 40..
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/24/12 12:59 AM
Seems like HookedUp's cat had to take a dirt nap. So sad...
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/24/12 01:34 PM
I would eat both of those fish in a heartbeat!
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/24/12 01:58 PM
Nice looking fish Nate. Isn't wahoo supposed to be the fastest 'sprinter' in the ocean?

Bruce, that's a great fish. You have to love catching those big cats.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/25/12 01:25 AM
I know, n8ly, but they are both some impressive specimens!
Posted By: FRPeeps Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/27/12 08:01 PM
Fished in the gulf this past weekend about 40 miles out of Galveston. We ended up cutting the trip short due to windy conditions and high seas but while we were there the bite was good for Red Snapper, Kings, Wahoo, and a few Sharks.

Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/29/12 02:49 AM
Oh man that is a big red snapper and I love ocean fishing!!!!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/29/12 10:28 AM
Big King mackerels? I haven't fished salt water in years. Ribbon fish still used for bait?
Posted By: FRPeeps Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/29/12 01:46 PM
Nate, That Snapper was by far the biggest of the trip. The guy that took us out was excited about it, called her a Sow Snapper.

Dave, Yes, they were King Mackerel. We were using Sardines, Squid, and Butterfly Jigs.

It was my first time fishing that far offshore. Really fun never knowing what you might catch next. Those saltwater fish fight HARD!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/29/12 04:33 PM
Nothing like the monsters above, but I think that pond is a lot bigger and saltier than mine.

Got this critter on about a 6-inch dead chub this morning.

This was one fat catfish. I haven't cleaned it yet, but from the way my fish pellets have been disappearing lately, I'm assuming that is what it is full of.

Twenty-seven inches and 9-1/2 lbs.

Time to go clean this critter.

I still need to take 2 or 3 of the remaining siblings out of the pond. I can't remember for sure, but I believe these were put in three years ago as 6-8 inchers. It is possible it was four years ago.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/30/12 02:02 AM
Here is the first catch ever out of my pond, on a fly. smile

This is one of the 20 SMB I stocked last fall.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/30/12 02:27 AM
Did it go back in the pond or get invited in for dinner?

That is a very healthy looking fish.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/30/12 02:48 AM
Shortay, I'm experiencing a warm feeling right now at the joy of the smallie!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/30/12 05:09 AM
Thrilled for you Shorty. Be proud.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/30/12 04:21 PM
Beaming with joy over here - that is a porker - well done!
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/30/12 05:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Shorty

Did you catch that with a fly tied on a spinning rod? MAN THE PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES
Posted By: Shorty Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/30/12 07:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Bocomo

Did you catch that with a fly tied on a spinning rod? MAN THE PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES

Yep! An ultra light spinning rod, a casting bubble, and a black gnat fly, the most efficient way to fly fish! grin

Flame suit on! laugh
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 06/30/12 08:23 PM
Flame suit on! laugh

I don't care how many layers it has, it won't be enough! laugh
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/01/12 03:56 AM
nice fish bruce how did you catch it exactly? I know you said a crank bait? Nice fish catmandoo! I really like your t square for the length
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/01/12 04:37 AM
We were dragging Rapala D-10 cranks in 8ish to 10ish feet of water, bumping the bottom hard. The fish would just obliterate the crank when they hit it! The fights were amazing. The technique was harder than it looked however, as the boat operator need an exquisite knowledge of the bottom contour, and the associated snags and hangups.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/01/12 03:42 PM
Flame suit on! laugh

I don't care how many layers it has, it won't be enough! laugh

I aint scared! grin

Nice flathead Bruce! cool
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/01/12 04:28 PM
I too, am a devotee of using flies with spinning gear. I love the slow fall, (sink rate) of a wet fly presentation made with a fly rod, but don't usually have room for a backcast.

I've been experimenting with popular wet fly patterns emulated on 1/80oz or 1/100oz jigheads with foam bodies. The weight allows for a decent cast without the need for a casting float, while the foam bodies slow the sink rate through the water column. Still looking for that killer combo for big BG's, but I am seeing very promising results.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/01/12 05:59 PM
2 words. Roll Cast. wink
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/02/12 12:52 AM
Caught a nice GillCracker today, using an ice-fishing jig below a slip float. Not a big fish at 9", but it was one of many that fell to this setup.

Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/02/12 01:03 AM
2 words. Roll Cast. wink

From what I can see, still not enough room for some of the places I fish. And, when you're straddling a multiflora rose bush, or a brush pile, I think several coils of line at my feet would not help my blood pressure any....

I've got my casting distance up to around 30' with this setup, and the fly/jigs I'm making still sink slow enough to entice a fish or two.....

Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/02/12 01:13 AM
Sparkplug,

Hey - I've done it that way in tight situations for many years too. Especially with small poppers.

So, what are those fish? What the heck is a "GillCracker"?

Nine inches for any sunfish is more than respectable -- and delicious!

Ken
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/02/12 01:17 AM
Sorry Ken... Gillcracker is slang for a RES x BG hybrid.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/02/12 12:53 PM
Geeze. I'm learning all kinds of things from you today. Thanks.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/03/12 02:11 AM
grin

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/03/12 02:25 AM
Wow! That smallie is a brick!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/03/12 03:09 AM
Slab!
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/03/12 03:14 AM
Nice SMB! Now, how long is the handle on the fishing rod?
Posted By: Shorty Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/03/12 01:09 PM
Nice SMB! Now, how long is the handle on the fishing rod?

The handle is 11-1/2", the other SMB I caught earlier was right at 10".

Back in late October of last year I put twenty SMB in the pond, all of them were 5-6" with one 8-9" fish in the batch. It looks like they are growing well on fathead minnows. smile
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/03/12 02:23 PM
Have they unionized yet?
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/03/12 03:41 PM
Excellent Shorty!
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/08/12 01:33 PM
These do not compare to the fish above but my daughter out fished me again and this is what we have for dinner.

Attached picture 07-06-2012 Catch (Tonights Dinner).JPG
Posted By: spinnerbait Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/08/12 02:58 PM
These do not compare to the fish above but my daughter out fished me again and this is what we have for dinner.

Nice mixed catch! Are those FW Drum?
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/08/12 03:36 PM
Originally Posted By: spinnerbait

Nice mixed catch! Are those FW Drum?

The bottom three are and if prepared correctly are delicious.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/08/12 09:12 PM
I figured Omaha would comment on the Drum he seems to be one of the few that care about these fish. As they are much fun to catch and with the size in the pic are pretty tasty.

Omaha, what would you consider as prepared correctly?
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/09/12 03:10 PM
I figured Omaha would comment on the Drum he seems to be one of the few that care about these fish. As they are much fun to catch and with the size in the pic are pretty tasty.

Omaha, what would you consider as prepared correctly?

The fish/fillets need to be iced right away and the red meat removed. That's basically it. Put that next to walleye and you won't know the difference.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/09/12 05:10 PM
If I ever get the chance to catch some walleye and eat them I will let you know my thoughts on them compared to one another.

Since these were so small I did not mess with cutting out the red strip and they fried up nicely.

Here is a pic of the end result.

Attached picture Tasty.JPG
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/09/12 05:35 PM
Ain't the drum full of bones or something? I thought you couldn't just fillet them because of the bones? All I remember is my dad telling me when i was a kid was " that's a damn drum, full of bones and trash, throw it back" never even thought of keeping one since then lol
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/09/12 05:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Ain't the drum full of bones or something? I thought you couldn't just fillet them because of the bones? All I remember is my dad telling me when i was a kid was " that's a damn drum, full of bones and trash, throw it back" never even thought of keeping one since then lol

No bones. Solid fillets. This is why I consider them to be the most underrated freshwater fish that swims.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/09/12 05:54 PM
I wonder how/why freshwater drum ended up with such a bad reputation...
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/09/12 05:56 PM
It's got to be just how they look. With their downturned mouth, people just assume it's a bottom feeding trash fish.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/09/12 06:09 PM
Funny how their saltwater cousins are some of the most revered eating fish... So much so they were heavily over fished for many years!
Posted By: RER Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/09/12 08:44 PM
The Black Drum is the closest to the FWD and is the least tasty of the Drum. The Red Drum is by far more valuable as table fare!
Posted By: Gflo Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/10/12 06:45 PM
The wife caught another nice fish last night. I'm pretty proud of her fishing ability, but it also embarrasses and puts me to shame (I will not be including any of my fish from the night...).

Bruce: My wife is intensely jealous of your catfish. Impressive to take a cat like that on a lure. Very nice fish! Jeremy Wade is also her hero. First thing she said was, "That is a river monster fish..."

Posted By: rmedgar Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/10/12 07:46 PM
Gflo, did you measure and weigh that beauty?
((that's sittin' right up there on a tee if anyone wants to take a whack at it))
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/10/12 10:08 PM
From earlier this spring - a relative caught this from one of the lakes. His est. 9 lbs

Posted By: Shorty Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/10/12 11:26 PM
Ewest, that bass is a pig!

Very nice! cool
Posted By: Gflo Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/10/12 11:36 PM
Dang that is one fat bass ewest! Holy poop!

rmedgar --> We did get a weight, no other measurements tho frown!
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/11/12 12:09 AM
Nice ewest.....what lure/bait was it caught on?
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/11/12 12:36 AM
On a junebug colored creature bait - not sure which kind. Looks like a BG color. Caught in front of a feeder.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/11/12 12:37 AM
Both awesome fish!!!
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/11/12 01:09 AM
That might be the best body condition for a bass I've ever seen!! My goodness!!!
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/11/12 02:38 AM
eric that is a beautiful fish! I really like the coloration and just look at the body condition! It doesn't have the grey color of a feed trained bass?
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/11/12 02:39 AM
Eric you need to make a replica of that fish!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/11/12 02:47 AM
Eric you need to go out and recatch that fish and get it mounted!!
Posted By: spinnerbait Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/11/12 10:45 AM
Eric,
How are the TS doing in this pond? Are they reproducing, or are you stocking yearly?
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/11/12 01:55 PM
TS are doing fine. Several sizes including schools of yoy. Good growth on that fish at 4 yrs. Time will tell. Hope to have more info by fall based on some genetic testing.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/11/12 02:51 PM
ewest's LMB's tail is too small for the body!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/11/12 03:26 PM
I would've figured that Bass would go over 9 lbs. Very impressive!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/12/12 12:03 AM
Lake Fork ain't dead yet! Look at the belly on that beast (The one in the front). One of about 20 caught today. All looked like they were ready to spawn. The shad, yellow bass and white bass as forage have created some toads at Fork, and the next few years should again be as spectacular as the old days.

Caught several 4 pounders that had 2 pound frames.

Posted By: fishinglth Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/12/12 01:51 AM
FireisHot, How deep were those fish and what did you catch them on?
Beautiful fish, I am guessing deep crankbait or carolina rig.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/12/12 02:39 AM
Chris, any chance of coming to PB-V?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/12/12 10:31 AM
fishinglth, they were all 20-25 deep on C-rigs. I was fishing with Mark Pack who owns Lake Fork Tackle. I usually get with him 3 or 4 times a year, and it's always a hoot.

He seems to always fish with his back to the bank, and believe me, if he find's one, he finds dozens.
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/12/12 07:53 PM
Culling female CNBG - musta' caught 100 of more - fun morning - Mrs. G didn't like throwing the girls on the bank!

Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/12/12 08:38 PM
I bet Mrs. G liked catching them. Wish I was close enough to give them a new home.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/13/12 01:12 PM
I am with you there ewest, would be nice to haul some of these off to stock. Would make a great addition to any pond that needs BG (CNBG) to meet the goals.

I hope to eventually be able to source some larger CNBG and RES either from natural waters or a fish farm, with ever is available for me at the time. http://www.hartleyfishfarmsinc.com/services.html I think has larger RES so I just have to find a place to get CNBG that is not too far for me to drive.

George,
So did you keep most of them to eat or where they critter snacks?

Also which pond are these in and what size is it, I am sure you have mentioned before so I apologize, also what other species are in the pond with the CNBG?
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/13/12 04:32 PM

George,
So did you keep most of them to eat or where they critter snacks?

Also which pond are these in and what size is it, I am sure you have mentioned before so I apologize, also what other species are in the pond with the CNBG?

I feed them to the critters except for big ripe females and they go to my CNBG "intergrade" 1/4 acre pond - have some really nice fish there...
My best pure Florida CNBG are in main 2 acre pond with LMB and HSB.
Love big CNBG... cool
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/14/12 02:19 AM
I love your CNGB grandbabies George. Special fish !
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/16/12 12:04 PM
Where's all the good fishing pics from this weekend?
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/16/12 02:13 PM
Sorry I didn't take any pics.. Caught a couple nice BG none worth grabbing the Cam though.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/16/12 04:47 PM
Had the pleasure of hanging out with Bruce yesterday. I'll post a couple pictures up when I get a chance.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/18/12 02:46 AM
We had some pretty good luck on the weekend after the fourth of July.

Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/19/12 10:51 PM
nice looking LMB were you needing to take some out?
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/22/12 04:39 AM
PondBass at sundown..
it was still hovering around 100 degrees outside.

Rebel Floating Frog keeps on producing....

Posted By: jludwig Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/22/12 12:48 PM
nice looking LMB were you needing to take some out?

It was a local pond that we do not own but get the luxury to fish as long as we give the owner some fish and invite him to a fish fry we have once or twice a year.

In reality there are that probably need to come out but overall it has all size ranges in it.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/24/12 12:30 PM
Sounds like a nice arrangement to me.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Fishin' 2012 - 07/24/12 02:00 PM
Very nice fish Zep. She looks fat and happy.
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 08/04/12 08:13 PM
somebody once told me they didn't think catfish spawned very well in a pond. WEll THEY DID IN MINE!My goal is to remove 5000 lbs this year there are so many of all sizes I'm not sure its even making dent. The rule is every catfish that is caught must be removed which has been hard for my father in law to watch when after cleaning 100 lbs of fish the rest get tossed on the bank!
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 08/04/12 08:16 PM
I think this year was the highest recruitment of catfish I have seen in my pond there are literally thousands of the ones in the second photo. At least I am guessing that fish is from this years spawn?
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 08/04/12 08:55 PM
Time to electro shock a bunch out if you can't get the #s way down by angling. Might also seine a bunch out near the feeder.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 08/04/12 09:00 PM
I wonder what all those catfish are eating on???
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Fishin' 2012 - 08/04/12 09:12 PM
Maybe YOY with no cover because of the drought?
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 08/04/12 09:40 PM
The last time Bob electrofished we only caught two catfish. We caught lots of crappie and lots and lots of shad. I may be getting out the trot lines. I haven't used trot lines yet because we also catch hybrids and feed trained bass which I don't want to kill. Im still mostly full water wise and so the draught hasn't really come into play yet. Those catfish are full of pellets and also bluegill and shad.
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 08/04/12 09:44 PM
I wish I had better pictures showing the sheer numbers we are removing. The buzzards have been feasting which has made me a proponent of protecting the vultures that clean up each week the carnage that is left. without the vultures I would have another mess to clean up
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Fishin' 2012 - 08/04/12 10:43 PM
Do you have a box trap? Couple of cat food cans and a basket could save you some time, too.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 08/05/12 02:27 AM
James, do you have cavities in the pond somewhere where they can spawn?

I know they aren't cheap, but you might want to invest in a Fyke Net. I've caught whiskerfish in them (along with other fish, but LMB seem to stay out of them).
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 08/05/12 04:09 AM
I am going to buy a fyke net do you bait them?
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 08/05/12 01:13 PM
probably the best thing to do is invite a bunch of us down for a catfishing weekend and a fish fry of epic proportions....
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 08/05/12 01:22 PM
m8ly:

I'm game!

James:

No bait. I really like the modified fyke net, it's rectangular rather than round. I have no proof, but I think it works better than a traditional fyke net.

Here's a thread that Chris Steelman had about using one:
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=169015&page=2

The one that I use is 3'x5', the "hoop" part where the fish are trapped is 16' long, and the lead is 4' tall x 50' long. Dry weight is 50#. The one that I use is difficult for one person to use, but it's doable. If I were to buy another one, it'd be like the one that Chris used, 2' x 3'.

I've had so many fish and snapping turtles in it at once that I couldn't lift it out of the water. I had to drag it to shore and carefully remove the contents. I had 100# in snapping turtles alone in the net.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 08/05/12 03:52 PM
I wonder if electrofishing at night would yield better results for shocking up catfish.
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 08/05/12 05:06 PM
I'm going to get one and post the pictures
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fishin' 2012 - 08/06/12 12:41 PM
How long would or should one leave this net in the pond before checking it?

Do the fish die easily once caught, as I would want to put back any larger ones that were caught and keep the mid sized ones to eat?

Also I thought there was a link as to where to get one of these and wondered if anyone has some suggestions?

Thanks
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 08/06/12 07:52 PM
I wouldn't let it go more than 24 hr before checking.

Nichols Net and Twine.
Posted By: george1 Super Pond Grand Slam - 12/07/12 09:53 PM
I know that with the new format we are supposed to post pictures on “Show off you catch” topic, but a good forum friend of old time PondBossers has asked me to continue the Fishin’ 2012 thread :

Well, after some four months of being housebound from record heat wave and drought, followed by health problems, we finally got to go fishing – and what a fishing trip!
We caught tons of fish, culling female 5-8 inch female CNBG from main pond to transfer to little pond.

Copper Nose Blue Gill:

[img]http://[/img]

Culled CNBG females:
(I put those two males back in the pond... grin)

[img]http://[/img]
Posted By: george1 Re: Super Pond Grand Slam - 12/07/12 10:01 PM
Camelot Bell Florida LMB:with clipped fin:

Florida LMB from brood pond:
Posted By: george1 Re: Super Pond Grand Slam - 12/07/12 10:07 PM

Hybrid Striped Bass:

Grass Carp:

What a way to end Fishin’ 2012 thread!
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/07/12 10:30 PM
Very nice George. You picked the right week.
Get ready for a weather change.
Sunday the high is predicted to be 72 degrees,
the high on Monday is predicted to be 45 degrees
with a low in the 20's!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/08/12 11:51 AM
Nice George! I bet Nicky caught the most fish. laugh
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/08/12 12:19 PM
Al - NAH -I caught the most but I was catchin' and cullin' CNBG and experimenting with a new bass bug while she was catching BIG fish grin
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/08/12 02:01 PM
Go Mrs. G. -- Looks like she whooooooped you again George. Glad to see you two out stretching a line. I still have a lot of big CNBG at the feeder eating away. Latest I have ever had the feeders still on.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/08/12 02:06 PM
I'd say that looks like a good time...way to go!
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/10/12 09:26 PM
Very nice day at the pond yesterday. 70 degrees up until mid-afternoon when a front blew in and the temps started falling very quickly. Was riding the ATV and surprised a wild hog in the woods. We eyed each other a few seconds (he was 25 yards away) and then he took off. While on foot exploring the bottoms on the backside of the property I was surprised to find a mini "bamboo-forest" along a creek. At first sight I thought someone was growing weed on our property. This bamboo was tall...I'd say 8-10 feet tall. All in all a great day in the county.

(nice little fiesty bass caught on final cast of day on a small Bagley B crank bait)

(snapping turtle that appeared lost, but once my
buddy put him back in the water he was a happy feller again)
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/10/12 09:36 PM
Zep, watch out for the bamboo. It's hard to eradicate when you don't want it anymore.
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/10/12 10:00 PM
Thanks Sunil. I had never seen it before. We just purchased the property about 9-10 months ago and I had never been in this little area. It's in some bottomland at the back of the property on the bank of a steep sided creek. I would guess-estimate it's about 1/8 acre of bamboo. Sounds like we may need to throw a panda bear back there to keep it under control.

Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/10/12 10:10 PM
I like Bagley's, and I'm glad to see them back in production.

Sounds like a good day Mark.
Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/10/12 10:25 PM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
I like Bagley's, and I'm glad to see them back in production.

Al mine was an old one, I wasn't aware they stopped making them for awhile? I've always loved the Bagley "Bang-0-Lure" and the Small Fry Series:

Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/10/12 10:31 PM
Mark have you seen what some of the classics go for on eBay? Shows there's always a market for quality stuff.

If memory serves me correctly, one of the Rapala kids bought in and recreated the brand. Saw some new one's at the last Bass Masters Classic Expo, and it brought back great memories. Time will tell if they're as good as the one's like you have. I still have mine in some plano box somewhere.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/17/12 02:36 AM
Time is running out on this thread, lets see how many more fish we can get posted from now till end of year.....just 14 days left....

Today I took nephew Tyden down for some trout and striper fishin from the docks...He caught 6 rainbows 12-14", a 5 lb rainbow, a 7 lb rainbow, and 4 stripers from 2.5-4 lbs! All in less than an hour.....

Posted By: Zep Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/17/12 03:03 AM
nice fish!
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/17/12 04:58 AM
Hey Nate, what's all those spots on the pier? Ya need some shotgun practice??

Nice fish BTW!!
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/17/12 11:52 AM

Time is running out on this thread, lets see how many more fish we can get posted from now till end of year.....just 14 days left....

Today I took nephew Tyden down for some trout and striper fishin from the docks...He caught 6 rainbows 12-14", a 5 lb rainbow, a 7 lb rainbow, and 4 stripers from 2.5-4 lbs! All in less than an hour.....

Wow Nate - you're my main man .....!
Great day - great fish .....I'm gonna fish tomorrow if I can - temp supposed to hit 70 degrees!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/17/12 01:02 PM
The lake is a waterfowl Mecca this time of year....summertime not so much, but wintertime is for the birds....placing corn and open water might have something to do with that too??
Posted By: djstauder Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/17/12 02:02 PM
Nate,
You feed corn to the trout instead of some fish food?
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/17/12 04:12 PM
Sounds like its Nate the duck commander. laugh
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/17/12 11:38 PM
My mom likes ducks and geese so we feed them corn on the beach... They pretty much get tame....
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/17/12 11:41 PM
I like ducks and geese too - on the dinner table! You started growing your beard yet? wink
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/18/12 04:05 AM
no beard for me....Justin will have a little beard though....just found out we will be filming from March 26 to May 26th....bout 10 hrs a day for 9 straight weeks....actually Animal Planet and Destination America came through with a better offer than HGTV and we are making a full series for this upcoming fall season!!! Its gonna be alot of fun and there will be quite a few pond boss properties in each episode!!
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/18/12 04:08 AM
no beard for me....Justin will have a little beard though....just found out we will be filming from March 26 to May 26th....bout 10 hrs a day for 9 straight weeks....actually Animal Planet and Destination America came through with a better offer than HGTV and we are making a full series for this upcoming fall season!!! Its gonna be alot of fun and there will be quite a few pond boss properties in each episode!!

My mind is literally swirling with ideas! laugh
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/18/12 04:09 AM
That is so cool. Can't wait to point at the TV and say I know that guy about 50 times each show.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/18/12 04:23 AM
Omaha, you talkin about yourself, cause we are very much hoping to get to Lincoln in April!! I have to submit the itinerary for approval mid January and if they approve Lincoln we will be doing the fun ziplines and crazy ideas of Bruce and TJ and then having a big party/cookout with everyone at Bruce's to finish off Lincoln....Pretty much every episode is gonna end with a bunch of people eating a feast out near the water....Chef Todd is one of the characters in the show...
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/18/12 04:30 AM
I've just cleared my April calendar. grin

I am just so thrilled for you guys. So much well deserved fun.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/18/12 04:54 AM
..Chef Todd is one of the characters in the show...

The Chefster and I go way back.. laugh

I've been droolin' lately for a little of the Chef's stuffed trout.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/18/12 05:36 AM
Nate, that's so cool. Congrats!!!

Hmmmmmmm............... I missed TJ last week when I flew thru there @ 8:30ish, maybe it warrants another trip! wink grin
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/19/12 01:24 PM
Great news! Come to Pittsburgh!
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/19/12 01:39 PM
Well worded when you said Chef Todd is on of the "characters". he is a hoot. It should be a fun ride. Nice catches Nate and George.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/20/12 03:31 AM
Just 11 more days...anyone else gonna go fishing??? Its freezin cold up here, but I still got out....probably for the last time though until ice up....

I took Chris Brackett fishing this afternoon. He is the host of the hunting shows Fear No Evil and Arrow Affliction on the outdoor channel. Here is a little clip, he invented aerial bowfishing a few years back...

So we caught some good big fish, but mostly talked about stuff...

Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/20/12 12:01 PM
Just 11 more days...anyone else gonna go fishing??? Its freezin cold up here, but I still got out....probably for the last time though until ice up....

So we caught some good big fish, but mostly talked about stuff...

Nate, talk is cheap - fish like those are proof - great fish!
You just made my day! cool
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/26/12 05:41 AM
you have a beautiful place nate!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/27/12 03:41 AM
James plan on bringing the fam up for a couple days this summer!!!!
Posted By: Shorty Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/29/12 06:30 PM
Only a few days left in 2012.

Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/30/12 03:53 PM
Nice!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 12/31/12 01:45 PM
Excellent end to 2012!
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fishin' 2012 - 01/12/13 05:40 AM
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2012 - 01/12/13 01:17 PM
Well looky there, Bruce with a big hybrid bluegill.....Awesome! grin
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2012 - 01/14/13 05:10 AM
Fun fun photo right there.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Fishin' 2012 - 01/14/13 01:35 PM
Beautiful teeth on that fish (Bruce)..
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Fishin' 2012 - 01/14/13 03:42 PM
You still got advertising room on your left sleeve and room for a big "go daddy" logo on that fish. Nice HBG!!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 01/18/13 03:22 AM
Only a few days left in 2012.

Nanook, nicely done!
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2012 - 01/25/13 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Here's a BBC post about a LMB caught west of Fort Worth in a guesstimated 1 to 2 acre pond on 01-21-12. The guy was from Tennessee, and didn't weigh the fish. It was returned to the pond.

Dave, I may need to turn west on I30 instead of east from now on. smile

potential state record?

There goes the theory that big fish can’t be caught in small ponds..

Bill Cody, can you take a fingernail measurement and extrapolate for length and breadth for a weight guestament?
Al is going to try to contact the taxidermist that made the replica of the 19 lb Texas state record LMB.

That fish is huge!!!

© Pond Boss Forum