Pond Boss
Posted By: FCM67693 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/04/12 03:13 PM
So, I deceided to do a little "ice" fishing yesterday. Well, the ice part is stretching it. I have had open water for almost a week now. The ice has gotten maybe 2" thick for a short time this year. Have not been able to drill 1 hole.

Anyway, I thought would wet a line and see if there were any takers. Had a strike and a nice fight after only a few casts.

SURPRISE #1:

Hmmmmmmmmmm. I didn't stock RB. Scott, any ideas how this fish might have made its way into my pond?????

I took the fish up to the house and that is when I discovered

SURPRISE #2:

I saw some line comming out of the fish's mouth. Gave it a couple good tugs and out popped the plastic worm. It was all the way into its gut. Came out pretty easily though. You can even see part of the hook near near the head of the worm.

Only thing I can think is that this was a worm that was broken off while fighting another fish this summer. Maybe fell to the pond bottom and the trout picked it up.

OK. Heading out to see if we can't fool a few Honkers this afternoon. Hopefully we can post pics later.

Scott, bring the camera!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/04/12 03:18 PM
Sounds like someone did some unauthorized bucket stocking in your pond! Rainbow trout generally don't just fall out of the sky into ponds and it certainly didn't swim there from some unknown native Indiana population... HAHA
Posted By: JKB Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/04/12 03:41 PM
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Sounds like someone did some unauthorized bucket stocking in your pond! Rainbow trout generally don't just fall out of the sky into ponds and it certainly didn't swim there from some unknown native Indiana population... HAHA

Probably happened around the date on this photo Scott sent me in a PM. laugh

One of the fish he picked up from Crystal Springs in Muskegon, MI. Really Nice!

(Scott, hope you don't mind me posting the photo)

Posted By: FCM67693 Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/04/12 03:45 PM
I wasn't sure. There is a nesting pair of Ospreys about 2 miles away. I have seen them visit before. 2 summers in a row. The state park where they live has a population of RB. I thought maybe they brought a few over wink

It did make a nice snack grin
Posted By: FCM67693 Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/04/12 03:46 PM
The plot thickens!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/04/12 04:05 PM
Well, as long as those ospreys only bring trout and not carp or GSF!
Posted By: Dwight Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/04/12 04:09 PM
I wondered where the pirates are. Looks like they are moving east.
Posted By: esshup Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/04/12 04:57 PM
Those Ospreys have been known to carry bullheads too. wink

No problems JKB!

Look at how skinny the trout is compared to the Oct. pic.

I think the Osprey flew over the pond more than once...........
Posted By: blair5002 Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/04/12 06:38 PM
Scott were all the rbt big and chunky when the osprey carried them over. The markings on these 2 fish are different so we can't really tell how much weight loss there was from the hook. It sure looks skinny compared to the fish in October.
Posted By: Sunil Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/05/12 12:44 AM
The RBT was probably starved due to the plastic worm.
Posted By: FCM67693 Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/05/12 01:21 AM
Well, I might have found some new friends. Seems the Ospreys have been busy stocking trout in my pond.

Wonder if they might stock 80 lbs. of Tilapia and maybe another 50 or so HSB?

Here was #2 this afternoon!

Much better shape. Will tell you how it tastes when it comes out if the oven in 15 minutes.

The first was starving from the plastic worm. That was a large worm. Probably 10" or so.

Posted By: Sunil Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/05/12 01:31 AM
And you didn't stock these RBT???!!!
Posted By: FCM67693 Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/05/12 01:38 AM
Nope. "I" didn't.

Scott, can you explain how these may have gotten into my BOW?

Some of us on here are curious.

Sunil I think Scott may have something to do with it between you and me. I am trying not to let on that I suspect him though. Maybe he'll just keep stocking fish wink

Maybe I should leave a note outlining my wish list.......
Posted By: sprkplug Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/05/12 01:57 AM
Wish I had friends like that. Or a Fairy God Egret, whichever the case may be. I second the wish list idea. whistle
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/05/12 03:07 AM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Wish I had friends like that. Or a Fairy God Egret, whichever the case may be. I second the wish list idea. whistle

You and me both!
Posted By: esshup Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/05/12 03:57 AM
I'm betting on the Osprey. Mikey never said whether or not the fish had talon marks in it/them. wink

I picked up RBT to stock in some ponds in Mid October. Orig, the fish were supposed to be 1# to 1 1/4#, but when I picked them up, they averaged 2# each. I think the Osprey grabbed some from the tank when I wasn't looking.........
Posted By: RAH Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/05/12 01:05 PM
Maybe the worm in the mouth was how someone caught the fish before transfering it to your pond?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/05/12 01:19 PM
I'm betting the Osprey's name is Esshup (Scott). grin
Posted By: Sunil Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/05/12 03:11 PM
Take Scott anyday over 'Ole Mudcat Joe.
Posted By: JKB Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/05/12 04:29 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
I think the Osprey grabbed some from the tank when I wasn't looking.........

You mean this tank???

We need more like Scott in the world! Yes, we do!!!

BTW Scott, I got a bunch of flat rate boxes yesterday. Shouldn't be too long now. I know, I am slow at times! I can barely Blink and Breath at the same time. Thanks to NCMike for the Enlightenment laugh
Posted By: esshup Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/06/12 04:05 AM
That be the tank!

Boxes huh? Interesting!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/07/12 03:07 AM
That looks like my tank! grin Was I aiding in an unauthorized stocking? grin
Posted By: FCM67693 Re: 2 Suprises in One Day! - 02/07/12 03:22 AM
If you were Cecil, next time make sure some of those 14" perch are along for the ride smile
© Pond Boss Forum