Pond Boss
Posted By: jimmyg trees on dam crest - 01/23/12 10:00 PM
the place im moving to the previuos owner planted bradford pears. is this going to be a problem? water lvl. stays about 5 ft below the crest.
Posted By: RC51 Re: trees on dam crest - 01/23/12 10:09 PM
I would say yes sooner or later they will be a problem. You dont want trees on or near your dam. Root systems can go a long, long ways when trees start to get older. I am no expert but that's just my 2 cents on it and what I have been told.

P.S. How big are these trees now? If there to big say 4 inches in diameter or bigger I would leave them alone now as their root system is already fairly large and it could cause a problem removing them.

Also welcome
Posted By: jimmyg Re: trees on dam crest - 01/23/12 10:56 PM
thanx rc thats what i was thinking i think they r 4 in. or more if not i will remove them i will know this coming weekend
Posted By: Bullhead Re: trees on dam crest - 01/24/12 02:29 PM
If they are Bradford pears, a windstorm is likely going to come along and break them up anyway.
Posted By: RC51 Re: trees on dam crest - 01/24/12 04:14 PM
No problem Jimmy,

If you can get rid of them now. I have some trees that got left on my dam before I bought the land and man they are big now. I know sooner or later I am going to have to do something with them I suppose but I am hoping it's later! smile
Posted By: mtpockets Re: trees on dam crest - 01/24/12 05:51 PM
Had a little something I wanted to share about unwanted trees. I've used a product called "Spike" from Dow Agra-Services, that works really well. Its a granule that you spread around the drip line and can either water it in or wait for rain to take it down to the roots. Its easy to use and wont kill grass, just woody plants. You have to be careful about using it around wanted mature trees because it will take them out too.
Posted By: RC51 Re: trees on dam crest - 01/24/12 06:07 PM
Hey Pockets,

I prefer a chiansaw. I don't like getting unknown strong chemicals to close to my pond. Like roundup for example. One wrong move with something like that and you can mess things up quick. Or like you said kill stuff you didn't plan on killing!
© Pond Boss Forum