Pond Boss
Posted By: Bing Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/26/11 09:15 PM
I observed a half eaten three to four pound bass on a black plastic float i have in my pond. Over a week or so the bass gradually disappeared. Today I discovered a half eaten grass carp, four or five pounds, half eaten on the bank. i have researched this site and understand how big a problem this can be. I think I also have a "small" muskrat problem and have talked to a trapper friend about trapping them. He says that occasionally he accidentally catches an otter in one of his traps. What a pity.
Posted By: scott69 Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/26/11 10:31 PM
i feel your pain. seems like the otters visit my pond every year about this time. this year they didnt just visit. they were living in a hole in the bank best i can tell. i have tried everyting to get rid of them. i hope lead poisoning did the trick.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/27/11 01:43 PM
IMHO it is one of the hazards of having a pond outside vs an aquarium. Personally I would enjoy watching the little guys, but mad as heck at them just the same. Just have to hope your pond isn't so nice and full of juicy fish that they set up a nice home!
Bing if trapping doesn't get them and they become a real problem an electric fence works well.
Maybe you'll be lucky and the otter is just passing thru.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/27/11 03:52 PM
Fury cannot compare to the wrath of an otter-stricken pond owner.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/27/11 05:04 PM
where is that pic of Overton-007?
Posted By: scott69 Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/27/11 05:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Fury cannot compare to the wrath of an otter-stricken pond owner.

agreed!!!!!
That's too bad Bing. The otters have been hitting me harder than ever, I suppose with all the drought conditions they are looking for food and new territory. I am rigged up with night vision and laser-sights on a 12ga shotgun and I still feel unprepared.

I just ordered some 330 traps from snareshop.com. Also there are some good videos on youtube. You'll need to find their slides in/out if you plan to trap them. I recently caught one in a live trap but it hasn't caught one since.

Such a shame that they can hammer your fish population before you know it.

otter1 otter2
Posted By: Grundulis Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/27/11 09:17 PM
Sometimes I think that's life's so strange. You dig your pond to enjoy watching fish and animals and after some while you find out that everything you planned has ruined because of some f****ing otters or whatever. And you start hating all these live creatures instead of liking or enjoying them... What can I say...
Kill 'em all!

Ok, let's put that beer back in the fridge.
I've gone sixteen hours without a drink! I don't miss the poison at all! Cheers!. Mr. Rosewater (K.Vonnegut).
Posted By: Bing Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/27/11 09:40 PM
I love watching them. If i thought it would work I'd feed it a couple of pounds of protein a day so he wouldn't kill the fish and i could watch him.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/27/11 10:38 PM
Try to find some happy medium.

Does the otter like boubon?
Posted By: Shorty Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/27/11 11:56 PM
I once watched a mink, an otter's little cousin, eat five 11-12" LMB on the ice in less than two hours in my dad's old pond, then he spotted a muskrat and the stalk was on....
Posted By: Bing Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/28/11 12:28 AM
I have a friend who is going to do some intensive muskrat trapping efforts on both of my ponds starting tomorrow. Of course it is illegal in Illinois to intentioally trap Otter. However if one is accidentally trapped all they want you to do is turn in to the state. My trapper friends do that, as much as anything to prove to the state that we have a lot of them and they should be controlled. The state is indicating if enough are accidentally trapped they will open the season to control them. He had trapped three of them in the last week. My buddy took a month off of work to trap muskrat, mink and coon. He is a cement finisher and makes more by taking a month off this time of year and trapping than he would at his regular job.
Posted By: Bing Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/28/11 12:36 AM
Sunil: A friend gave me a bottle of 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle single barrel bourbon for Christmas. I think I'll drink the bourbon and let the otter fend for himself.
I thought you were a Blue Goose fan.
Posted By: Bing Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/28/11 02:38 PM
Got some of that too, but that is mainly in warmer weather. Haven't had any of that since, lets see -- Last Thursday. It was a warm day and our 48th anniversary.

Big Cedar has a good supply of the Goose. October is usually warm in Missouri.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/28/11 02:56 PM
What about Famous Grouse?
Posted By: Bing Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/28/11 03:35 PM
I may be in this a little over my head. Sunil has sent me on a google search twice in the last 24 hours just so I understand what he is asking! I'm not much for scotch. There is a U in Bourbon.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/28/11 03:50 PM
Famous Grouse is a very smooth scotch, you might like it Bing. grin
If you bring the goose and tomato juice again, I'll join you in one.
Posted By: Bing Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/28/11 05:17 PM
Done -- Plus Club soda and lemon wedges after lunch. Funny we went through a fifth of that before dinner and I don't remember what the mixer was.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/28/11 07:59 PM
That was a nice little party you guys had going before dinner that night.

That younger, drunk, blonde girl (not Sue Cruz!) really took it to me, verbally, that is.
Posted By: Sue Cruz Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/28/11 09:06 PM
Those otters are so freakin' cute!! If I had a pond, it would be an otter pond. They look like water ferrets!
Thanks for the clarification, Sunil. I would never be caught (too) drunk at a PB Convention!! I have to stay sharp!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/28/11 09:13 PM
If my wife caught me shooting an otter I'd be in trouble...
Posted By: Sunil Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/28/11 09:20 PM
I guess it was me who brought up bourbon. And I really don't know my stuff on bourbon or scotch.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/28/11 09:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Sue Cruz
Those otters are so freakin' cute!! If I had a pond, it would be an otter pond. They look like water ferrets!
Thanks for the clarification, Sunil. I would never be caught (too) drunk at a PB Convention!! I have to stay sharp!

Well, you claim you're 'younger' and we know you're blonde, so I didn't want you to suffer any false misconceptions! (was that a double negative?)
Posted By: Bing Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/28/11 10:07 PM
I think I have hijacked my own post. This was about otters and turned into an AA meeting. Truth be known very little drinking takes place at our Pond Boss conferences. Story is going around that we may have the next one at a YMCA retreat.
Posted By: esshup Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/29/11 06:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Omaha

I think Nebraska Game and Parks would be worse.... Otters are listed as "no take".
Posted By: John Monroe Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/29/11 08:32 AM
I've only seen otters here in Indiana at Mud Lake near Angola and at
Land O Lakes state park, both times in side streams, while kayaking. I'm thinking there must be good fishing where ever you find them if they eat so much.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/29/11 01:12 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: Omaha

I think Nebraska Game and Parks would be worse.... Otters are listed as "no take".

They'd be cruel, but she'd be worse. shocked

I didn't know that about otters in NE. Obviously would have researched it if the need arose though. I've seen them in our creek, small ones I think were otters, so might have to deal with them at some point.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/29/11 01:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Bing
I think I have hijacked my own post. This was about otters and turned into an AA meeting. Truth be known very little drinking takes place at our Pond Boss conferences. Story is going around that we may have the next one at a YMCA retreat.

Bing, I don't wish to hijack your post any further, but I'm glad you touched on this. I've never attended a conference, but I would like to, so I can put faces with the names on here. I have been concerned, based on past reports, that the atmosphere might be uncomfortable for me, as I don't drink, and I'm not much into partying.

Perhaps I am mistaken, or reading too much into it, but that was the message that came across to me from previous accounts of the conferences. This is an event that is obviously highly anticipated by the overwhelming majority of the members on here, so the format must work brilliantly. I'm not suggesting that any changes be made, I'm just trying to get a feel for the social climate.

If I have offended anyone, please be aware that it was unintentional. I've been concerned about this for some time, I just didn't know how to bring it up.
Posted By: Sgt911 Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/29/11 02:10 PM
I had two Otters in my pond last winter. Both swam up to check me out. The larger otter came out of the water about 20 feet from me and kept sliding down the dam. I could almost hear it say "WEEEEE!!!" every time it slid down the bank. I had a shotgun with me but just couldn't pull the trigger. Flash forward to this winter, I saw a large Otter near the dam again. I guess times of changed because all I could think is "Say WEEEE one more time MF!"....It didn't.
Posted By: Sue Cruz Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/29/11 02:44 PM
Hi Sprkplug~ While there is some socializing at the Buzzard Lounge after hours, the majority of the conference is not at all centered around drinking. Big Cedar Lodge is a breath-taking property and conference center where we all gather for the talks, meals and hands on activities outside. It really is the perfect setting for us to gather and share knowledge. I can see why you would have your concerns, because we do joke around a lot about what goes on late at night, but really the magic happens during the day. I really hope you'll make it in October!
Posted By: ewest Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/29/11 03:03 PM
Sparkplug we do have a great time and I assure you it’s not centered on drinking. The good part is lots of stuff is planned and everyone is free to choose what they like. Fishing tourney , boat rides , hiking , shopping , silent auction all in addition to the meetings. Plus there are lots of vendors with booths and products to show. We have a diverse group of all ages and interests and everyone is welcome. I have never had anyone tell me after attending that they felt the least bit out of place.

Take a look at the Conv. archives and that should help.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=254817#Post254817

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=183880#Post183880

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=124648#Post124648

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92619#Post92619
Posted By: Omaha Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/29/11 03:15 PM
The nightlife is only a small part of the conference. The real meat is during the day.
Posted By: Sue Cruz Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/29/11 04:29 PM
Thanks for the link Eric ~ that was a stroll down memory lane!
Posted By: Bing Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/29/11 04:50 PM
We may need to convert this into a conference topic not an otter one. One thing that really stands out at the conferences I've attended (all of them)is that although most of us are just pond owners who want to learn the most we can, there are always a number of very well educated, very well respected experts. I believe that at conference three, the first at Big Cedar, there were at least seven PhD doctors who spoke. This is staggering. Where else in the world can you attend a meeting where 7 of the smartest, best educated, pond experts are there; making presentations and being available for one on one questions. Of course, there are also tons of experts who don't have a doctors degree in this, but they are true experts and willingly share their knowledge. Just plain guys and true renown experts all in the same room and all eager to share. Connie and i have had a chance to travel and do some really neat things in the past year or two, but if i had to give them all up but one, I'd keep the conference.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/29/11 05:36 PM
While most everything at Big Cedar is walking distance, it never hurts to have some designated drivers!
Posted By: esshup Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/29/11 05:39 PM
AND it helps if the designated drivers know the grounds!

That's my biggest complaint about the place. They offer a map at the front desk, but how clearly are the streets marked?

Just where is the tournament dock anyway??????? That was a PITA to find.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/29/11 06:02 PM
Now you know, at least.
Posted By: esshup Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/30/11 12:10 AM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Now you know, at least.

The bigger question is "Will I remember from last year?" laugh
Posted By: Bing Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/30/11 12:19 AM
esshup -- keep walking downhill until your feet get wet. you will be close.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/30/11 03:36 AM
I dont drink and I have been to every conference to date. The last 2 conferences I have brought my whole family to Big Cedar. Very family friendly and lots to jampack into an extended weekend!

Earlier this week I was headed thru Bing's town a few hours south of me and stopped in for perhaps the best breakfast on the planet.

His wife Connie can flat out cook! Had I not got to know Fred and Connie at the previous conferences and pond boss events, I would have had a Casey's donut and biscuit for breakfast while driving instead of that feast! The moral of the story is to go to the conference.... (and get to know Connie).
Posted By: n8ly Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/30/11 03:39 AM
Oh yeah, also to catch the otter just dig a hole 5 feet deep on the side of the pond and fill it with 6 inches of red cedar ashes and line the edge of the hole with fresh green peas.

When the Otter comes up to take a pea, just kick him in the ash hole.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/30/11 03:55 AM
How long have you been working out that otter joke?
Posted By: Omaha Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/30/11 04:31 AM
I laughed. And told everyone in the room.
Posted By: george1 Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/30/11 12:41 PM
Originally Posted By: n8ly
Oh yeah, also to catch the otter just dig a hole 5 feet deep on the side of the pond and fill it with 6 inches of red cedar ashes and line the edge of the hole with fresh green peas.

When the Otter comes up to take a pea, just kick him in the ash hole.
You are BAD Nate!!!!
Made me spew coffee all over my key board ...
laugh
Posted By: Sue Cruz Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/30/11 01:14 PM
Ha ha ha!!! That was a good one!!!
Posted By: ewest Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/30/11 03:33 PM
You otter not tell jokes like that - bad for keyboards and screens ! blush
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/30/11 04:09 PM
That did it.. Now I'm searching for an emoticon that can emit an audible groan.
Posted By: george1 Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/30/11 05:15 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
You otter not tell jokes like that - bad for keyboards and screens ! blush
Now that was REALLY BAD!!!!
laugh
Man this is a great way to celebrate the last day of 2011, with another OTTER. They have been hammering me. I resorted to pulling out some old steel leg traps, and got this one by the last digits of two toes. If he hadn't wrapped himself up in this paddlewheel aerator and drowned, then he would have escaped (without two toes however). Also recently I did also catch a single otter toe but he got away. Otters populations seem to be on the rise around here. I'm even happy to catch toes actually because I figure that puts a significant damper on their skill level. I get more and more calls with mysterious fish disappearances. I just invested in a lot of conibear traps also and plan to start offering pest control services for pond and lake owners. They have an affinity for hybrid stripers and especially largemouth bass.

Posted By: Sunil Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 12/31/11 04:28 PM
Brutality Rising!!!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 01/01/12 12:37 AM
Oh I got more:

I went to buy a camouflage Otter hunting jacket the other day but I couldn't find any....

Two Otter hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy takes out his phone and calls 911. He gasps: "My friend is dead! What can I do?" The operator says: "Calm down, I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is a silence, then a gunshot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says: "OK, now what?"......

Three Otter hunters, lost in the bayou, find a magic lantern containing a genie, who grants them each one wish. The first guy wishes he was back home safe and sound. The second guy wishes the same. The third guy says "I’m lonely. I wish my friends were back here."
Posted By: Sunil Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 01/01/12 02:23 PM
Considering a career change?
Posted By: ewest Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 01/01/12 10:40 PM
Better stick to fish !
Posted By: n8ly Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 01/02/12 03:04 AM
Alright, how's everybody? Good! Good! Good! Now, as your father probably told you, my name is Matt Foley, and I am an avid Otter Hunter! Now, let's get started by me giving you a little bit of a scenario of what my life is all about! First off, I am 35 years old.. I am divorced.. and I live in a van down by the river!

Now, you kids are probably saying to yourself, "Now, I'm gonna go out, and I'm gonna get the Otter by the tail, and wrap it around and put it in my pocket!!" Well, I'm here to tell you that you're probably gonna find out, as you go out there, that you're not gonna amount to Jack Squat!!" You're gonna end up eating a steady diet of government cheese, and living in a van down by the river! Now, young man, what do you want to do with your life?

Brian: [ nervous ] I.. actually, Matt.. I kinda wanna be a writer, not an Otter Chaser..

Matt: We-e-e-elll.. la-de-freakin'-da! We've got ourselves a writer here! [ jumps across the room ] Hey, Dad, I can't see real good.. [ lifts his glasses off and on his face ] ..is that Bill Shakespeare over there?

Dad: Well, actually, Matt.. Ellen and I have encouraged Brian in his writing.

Matt: Dad, I wish you could just shut your big yapper! [ stumbles back across the room ] Now, I wonder.. Brian, from what I've heard, you're using your paper, not for writing, but for rolling doobies!! You're gonna be doing a lot of doobie-rolling when you're living in a van down by the river! [ turns to Stacy ] Young lady, what do you want to do with your life?!

Stacy: [ sarcastic ] I want to live in a van down by the river.

Matt: Well, you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river when you're.. [ tries to be clever ] ..living in a van down by the river! Now, you kids are probably asking yourself, "Hey, Matt, how can we get back on the right track?!" Well, as I see it, there is only one solution! And that is for me to get my gear, move it on into here, 'cause I'm gonna bunk with you, buddy! We're gonna be buddies! We're gonna be pals! [ picks Brian up ] We're gonna wrassle around! [ puts Brian down ] Ol' Matt's gonna be your shadow! [ motions] Here's Matt, here's you! There's Matt, there's you! [ trips and falls flat on the coffee table, sending it crashing to the floor ] Whoops-a-daisy! [ stands up ] We're gonna have to clean that up later! Me and my buddies! My pals! My amigos! I'm gonna go get my gear! [ heads for the door ]
Posted By: Omaha Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 01/02/12 03:06 AM
Awesome.
Posted By: ewest Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 01/02/12 01:44 PM
Is that Brian's work ? shocked - laugh
Posted By: Sunil Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 01/02/12 03:53 PM
You forgot that Matt was in the basement chewing on cocoa leaves prior to the meeting.
Posted By: Bing Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 01/08/12 04:51 AM
I spent the day putting cover in my pond. With the water intentionally lowered about 5 feet it is much easier to do. There was no sign of the otter. No fresh tracks, no new slides, and best of all, no dead fish. My neighbor "accidentally" trapped one last week and this might have been my guy. The buddy who put traps out in both of my ponds got 7 muskrats, a couple of mink, two racoons, and a possum. Most of these were in the smaller, lower pond which has more wild terrain in which for them to hide.

Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 01/08/12 04:58 AM
Wow! Now Connie can have that fur coat she's always wanted...and a raccoon cap for Bing.
Posted By: Bing Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 01/08/12 03:09 PM
The last Raccoon hat I saw was at the Alamo in San Antonio. It was just laying on a chair, kind of in the corner of a very long room where I had heard the final massacre occured. I thought it might be Davy Crockett's. I picked it up and looked at the name inside. Guess who, the real hero: John Wayne.
Posted By: Su Sorensen Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 01/10/12 02:17 AM
Well Todd, I might have to get some more fish from you! I saw 3 otter in my little pond tonight! I went looking around for info on them and found this forum. Are there any restrictions about killing otter in Texas?
Posted By: Sgt911 Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 01/10/12 03:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Su Sorensen
Well Todd, I might have to get some more fish from you! I saw 3 otter in my little pond tonight! I went looking around for info on them and found this forum. Are there any restrictions about killing otter in Texas?

This is from TPWD.

"•A landowner on their own land or their authorized agent is not required to have a trapper's or hunting license if these nuisance animals are taken while causing loss or damage to agricultural crops, livestock, poultry, or personal property. However, such animals or their pelts may not be possessed or sold."
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_br_w7000_0065.pdf
This includes Otters. Have at it.
Posted By: Su Sorensen Re: Looks like I have an otter problem - 01/10/12 09:56 PM
Thanks Sgt911!
© Pond Boss Forum