Pond Boss
Posted By: the stick Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/05/11 09:16 PM
Has anyone been out on the ice yet? Dwight let me know last week that the ice will be good to go before long. I got my house ready last weekend, and spent yesterday afternoon getting all my gear up to par and ready to go. Even put the sharp to the Frostee and Fatboy jigs. Need some minnows and grubs, then heading to Bremer Pond Friday or Saturday. We have had a very mild fall here, but the ice being ready to walk on is typical, on or about the 10th of December. I am aiming to smoke every crappie and perch we get this winter.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/05/11 09:18 PM
I'll be sending you my address, stick.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/05/11 09:29 PM
Hey Stick I was about to also request an ice report. We are in Lincoln and had skim last Thursday. It's been below freezing for about 48 hours now and will be for the next 36 or so. I'm planning on drilling some test holes at my place Wednesday. I will let everyone know thickness etc. I can't wait for some YP fillets in hot peanut oil!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/05/11 09:37 PM
Aww man, don't rub it in.... My gear's ready, new auger, nice selection of new tungsten jigs.... no ice, and the prospect for any in the immediate future is slim.... 60 degrees this past Saturday cry
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 12:00 AM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Aww man, don't rub it in.... My gear's ready, new auger, nice selection of new tungsten jigs.... no ice, and the prospect for any in the immediate future is slim.... 60 degrees this past Saturday cry

Well....ride the wave while it lasts!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 01:20 AM
I tried. Suspended an ice jig below a slip float and cast it out, I caught fish too, but it just wasn't the same!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 01:51 AM
I'm sure it was just like unexpected early December fishing!
Posted By: jludwig Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 01:53 AM
I can't believe its 60 degrees in IN and its 39 in Oklahoma. Tonight we are getting a few snow flurries.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 02:59 AM
Here's what I did one year on my biggest pond when I was hard up for ice! grin

Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 03:01 AM
Haha! Classic!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 03:30 AM
Love that photo.
Posted By: airborne3118 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 04:10 AM
Wow!!!!!!!! I thought I was redneck. Just kidding. Thats awesome.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 04:39 AM
If that were an outhouse instead of a fish house, that would be redneck!
Posted By: fishm_n Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 06:47 AM
Originally Posted By: the stick
Has anyone been out on the ice yet? Dwight let me know last week that the ice will be good to go before long. I got my house ready last weekend, and spent yesterday afternoon getting all my gear up to par and ready to go. Even put the sharp to the Frostee and Fatboy jigs. Need some minnows and grubs, then heading to Bremer Pond Friday or Saturday. We have had a very mild fall here, but the ice being ready to walk on is typical, on or about the 10th of December. I am aiming to smoke every crappie and perch we get this winter.

Lakes 10 acres and smaller are froze here, and I missed out on the early ice stuff, its already over 5 in. The big lakes are still open, but mabeye I can get some birds off of them?? I've been on the ice but just to see how thick it is havent had time to fish a hole.

You smoke crappie and perch??
I thought fish with lots of fat made better smoked meals?

Good luck and keep us posted!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 01:12 PM
That right there is hardcore...

I especially like those "Schooley" rods... kickin' it old school style! They may not be the most sensitive rods out there, but if a muskrat happens to pop out of your hole, as happens occasionally, you could always drive it away by using the rod as a club, without fear of it breaking! whistle

I'm just messin' with you Cecil, I still have 3 Schooley's around here myself. smile
Posted By: Bing Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 02:21 PM
Now thats funny, i don't care who you are, thats funny.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 02:44 PM
It was -12F out here last night, near an all time low for this date. I am betting that we have a least 4 inches of ice now going on 6-8 by Friday.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 05:50 PM
So, before I send my address to the stick, does he really know how to do it right smoking perch and crappie?
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 06:00 PM
I am taking off the heads, and removing the guts. Rinsing off the slime. Then laying them in a single layer in the smoker. It is expermental, but there are "how to's" on the internet. I doubt that many of them will get beyond the county line. Sunil, how do you do it right???
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 10:08 PM
I don't know. I just want in!!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 10:12 PM
If the ice is safe enough, I should be drilling holes on Sunday!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 11:16 PM
I guess it's time to start the 2011 Best Deer Stick Competition. Of course, I'm the only judge.

The winner gets a personal email from me.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 11:21 PM
Originally Posted By: airborne3118
Wow!!!!!!!! I thought I was redneck. Just kidding. Thats awesome.

I am a redneck in many ways so no need to apologize. Taxidermist, raise fish in the house, log home, etc. etc.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 11:26 PM
Don't forget "wearing only one boot" also, Cecil.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 11:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Omaha

If you do, would you mind posting a few pics of your outing? Perhaps I can get a quick fix by living vicariously through your experiences, maybe it would be enough to tide me over until winter catches up with the calendar out here...
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/06/11 11:48 PM

If you do, would you mind posting a few pics of your outing? Perhaps I can get a quick fix by living vicariously through your experiences, maybe it would be enough to tide me over until winter catches up with the calendar out here...

Will definitely do that spark. Hope the ice is good. Looking forward to TJ's report tomorrow as a good barometer.
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/07/11 12:05 AM
Still no signs of any ice forming around here. (except in the freezer)
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/07/11 04:39 AM
We got some snow Saturday, then temps began to plummet. Was below freezing Sunday through today, last night down to 3. So I thought I'd be stupid enough to give it a shot, although I was doubtful we'd have enough.

Drilled a few test holes, just under 3", shuffled a few more feet. listened intently for crakcing, and drilled. This time a little more, closer to 3", shuffle, listen and drill again. Never did exceed 3, but it was hard first ice, so I tied myself off to the dock and ventured out, solo - again, because I'm stupid like that.

Have had a pretty dense planktonic algae bloom for the last several weeks, so visibility was only around 30" and the AquaVu hole had to be pretty close to the fishing hole to be of any use. Last year I had over 8' visibility this time of year...the zooplankton today was so thick I could see them crawl all over the camera lens and swim by in clouds. I suppose they are feasting on the plentiful algae and the cycle will soon crash and visibility will improve? At any rate, very cool to witness this beneath the ice.

Once the gear bomb was set up and my stupid proved stronger than my fear of thin ice I managed to focus long enough to jig up a wee BG. I was able to target on the Vexi, jig it up a foot - he followed, then just barely could make it out hitting on the camera. The plankton and zooplankton is so thick it makes low light viewing pretty fuzzy. Still, it's a cool process using all the toys together when it results in a fish.

Tonight is more single digit temps and I'm hopeful it will add a half inch or more and I'll fish much harder tomorrow afternoon and can afford to be less stupid. Hope to find some YP or HBC. Certainly must improve my single punk BG effort from today.

Is anyone else on the ice yet?

- Stupid

Attached picture Picture 398.jpg
Attached picture Picture 399.jpg
Attached picture Picture 406.jpg
Attached picture Picture 403.jpg
Attached picture Picture 404.jpg
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/07/11 09:43 AM
Snowshoes to distribute your weight more evenly on the ice. Do you have a set of ice picks around your neck? They've got them in Cabelas near the ice fishing stuff - I saw them there last week.

Phone in a zip loc bag? (they don't work so well when wet) Extra set of truck keys stashed somewhere, or do you leave the keys in a place where they won't make it to the bottom of the pond?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/07/11 10:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Don't forget "wearing only one boot" also, Cecil.

Oh yeah I forgot about that!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/07/11 10:34 AM
TJ,

Is that a Condello strain bluegill? A nice round fish!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/07/11 12:31 PM
Gotta' love that iffy first ice....baby steps all the way out, no sudden movements, staying close to the jet sled, no standing within 15' of another person... I've been there.

Thanks for the pics, TJ. By the way, what do you have tipped on that jig? Plastic, or do maggots come in pink now? I do well with the red ones....
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/07/11 01:29 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

You have officially started the season. I will be digging out my gear from the shed this evening! Hitting up a place in York on Sunday! Know anything about Recharge Lake?
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/07/11 01:35 PM
TJ - It isn't about the fish, it is about the gear. grin
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/07/11 03:34 PM
Yes ice picks.

Keys in truck.

Phone in truck.

Be home by midnight, Dad.

I jest! These are great tips for everyone venturing on the ice.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/07/11 08:14 PM
Yes, it is a CSBG...I hope to find his parents this afternoon is I can break away for a while!

Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
TJ,

Is that a Condello strain bluegill? A nice round fish!

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/07/11 08:15 PM
Gotta' love that iffy first ice....baby steps all the way out, no sudden movements, staying close to the jet sled, no standing within 15' of another person... I've been there.

Thanks for the pics, TJ. By the way, what do you have tipped on that jig? Plastic, or do maggots come in pink now? I do well with the red ones....

I didn't have time to get waxies so I used Gulp or Powerbait waxie. If the panfish are really aggressive it doesn't matter what you use, but I still prefer live waxies to the plastics.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/07/11 08:16 PM

You have officially started the season. I will be digging out my gear from the shed this evening! Hitting up a place in York on Sunday! Know anything about Recharge Lake?

Nope, nothing on that lake. I'm sure it's loaded with 5-7" BG like every public NE lake. You'll have lots of action at least, hope you find some crappie or bigger gills.
Posted By: JamesBryan Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/08/11 01:07 AM
Was Cecil's pants tucked inside the boot...or outside?
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/08/11 02:06 AM
My only experience with ice fishing was at Durand Eastman Park just in-shore of Lake Ontario. Was NOT well-equipped. Knocked a hole in the ice which was over a foot thick and water gushed up through the hole and soaked us up to the hips. Took 2 hours for his mom to come back and pick us up.

I have never been so cold walking around in underpants in boots with no liner. It was about 10 degrees out with a stiff breeze off of the lake.

I have always since remembered to keep matches in a sealed container. It would have been a lot less miserable if they were.

For some strange reason I have not been ice-fishing since. That was about 23 years ago.
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/08/11 03:00 AM
I am not Dave Genz. Perhaps it is my age, hangin' with my brother Dwight, or various other natural phenominon, but I like to set the house near but not on top of structure, bait up, mix the ultimate bloody mary with a beer back, and attract the fish to me. I know this is not the way to go to catch the maximum number of fish, but it is ice fishing the way I like.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/08/11 03:38 AM
I am not Dave Genz. Perhaps it is my age, hangin' with my brother Dwight, or various other natural phenominon, but I like to set the house near but not on top of structure, bait up, mix the ultimate bloody mary with a beer back, and attract the fish to me. I know this is not the way to go to catch the maximum number of fish, but it is ice fishing the way I like.

I know lots of guys who feel like you do, stick. They enjoy the comaraderie, the routine, the ambience of the ice fishing experience nearly as much as catching fish. And it sounds like a pretty good time to me.

Myself, I'm a Dave Genz disciple. Give me my auger and a pull-behind, one man flip-up, and my boots won't freeze to the ice unless I'm crouched down over a hot bite. I've got the mobile mindset. Gonna' go find em'.

Good luck, stay safe.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/08/11 12:39 PM

It may not be the way to go to catch the maximum number of fish. It is certainly the way to go to catch trophy sized fish on Bremer Pond.
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/09/11 03:08 PM
I hope one of them is alert to my presence when I finally get on the ice around 1300 hours Saturday.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/09/11 06:09 PM
stick, you should see about using one of Dwight's cats for pike bait tomorrow.

I'm sure you're a dog guy.
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/09/11 06:43 PM
I better stick with minnows for those big girls. Hate to have them choke on cat fur.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/09/11 07:47 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking no one better mess with Dwight's cats!!
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/09/11 09:01 PM
Fired up the mule with the ice auger, 150 foot safety rope, Ice picks, ice strainer, and ice measuring device on board. Put on all the cold weather gear including ice-cleated boots and headed pond side.

On the pond:

Tied off the safety rope to the Mule and me.
Bored the first hole about 6 feet from shore. 5.0 inches
Bored another hole about 30 feet from shore, 6.5 inches
Bored another hole about 60 feet from shore, 6.750 inches
Bored 3 more holes, the last at 150 feet, all 6.0 inches plus

Good to go for walk-on ice fishing, for sure.

While I was out there I put a marker on each of the Xs and the tank structure. The markers are pretty much in a straight line. If one stays away from the marker line in every direction one will be close to structure but not on it. There could be an errant tree clump anywhere on the pond so one is never completely safe from setting up on something.

I dressed way too warm just as I always do that first time out there working. Live and not learn..........
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/09/11 10:37 PM
I am sooooo jealous right now......

Dwight, do you use your mule to plow snow? I spent this afternoon putting the finishing touches on a homebuilt snowplow for mine. I used a customers mule last winter with a factory 6' blade on it, and the performance was impressive.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/09/11 11:46 PM
Warm weekend coming, though, Dwight. :-)
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/09/11 11:56 PM

Dwight, do you use your mule to plow snow? I spent this afternoon putting the finishing touches on a homebuilt snowplow for mine. I used a customers mule last winter with a factory 6' blade on it, and the performance was impressive.

My neighbor takes care of snow removal as needed with his turbo-diesel tractor mounted snow blower in trade for Internet Access beamed from my office.

A blade wouldn't even get close to taking care of snow removal here.

I should mention that he also blows an 8 foot wide path down to the pond when needed for ice fishing access. cool
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/10/11 12:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
Warm weekend coming, though, Dwight. :-)

The nice days don't make much difference in the ice this time of the year. 3 or 4 hours in the 30s can't compete with the rest of the day and night being below freezing. I do prefer the warm sunny days with winds 0-5 though. grin
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/10/11 05:01 AM
I heard thru the grapevine that TJ was catching pike bait today.....
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/10/11 01:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Dwight

My neighbor takes care of snow removal as needed with his turbo-diesel tractor mounted snow blower in trade for Internet Access beamed from my office.

A blade wouldn't even get close to taking care of snow removal here.

I should mention that he also blows an 8 foot wide path down to the pond when needed for ice fishing access. cool

I guess I've come full curcle, as I started out with a blade, then switched to a blower which I have used for years, until last year. A dual stage blower will move a lot of snow, however it will also move a lot of rocks if you set the skid shoes down far enough to get the majority of snow cover off. I've had two shattered windows that can attest to that. After using the blade last year, which was a heavy snow year for us, I'm going back to that. I had snow rolling over top of the 18" high blade, and the mule just kept pushing. And I didn't replace a single shear pin, like I would've on the blower.

I'm guessing I might rethink my strategy if I lived in an area with higher snowfall amounts. But, then again, whether I was using a blower, or a blade, I've always approached removal the same way... if the snowfall amount is predicted to be over 8", I don't wait until the last flake falls before getting on it. Going over it twice, or even three times, works well for me and is easier on my equipment.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/10/11 09:19 PM
Ice fishing is on!

Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/10/11 09:24 PM
That's the report???
Posted By: JamesBryan Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/10/11 09:45 PM
He just got set up, sent via i-phone. The holes have only been drilled for 2 minutes at the taking of this photo.................
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/10/11 11:21 PM
Looks like the distant shore is the place to get on and off.. surprised to see any open water.
Posted By: blair5002 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/10/11 11:36 PM
The open water is from his circulator at the barge I imagine.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/10/11 11:43 PM
Looks like the distant shore is the place to get on and off.. surprised to see any open water.

I took the photos standing on the Barge. There is always open water there because the circulator keeps it that way all winter long.

If you look to the left of the ice fishing house in the closer up photo, you can see some YP laying on the ice getting a sun tan. They had been setup for about a 1/2 hour at that point.

I went down there for an hour or so, caught a couple fat-bellied YP and missed a few others. Oh, and had a tall Bloody Mary, Corona with lime and a Mikes BB with a booster.

More later......
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/11/11 01:56 AM
Sounds awesome!!
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/11/11 03:48 AM
Duck hunting today was fun, but that style of ice fishing sounds like more fun!

Dwight, how cold was it up there?
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/11/11 02:24 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Duck hunting today was fun, but that style of ice fishing sounds like more fun!

Dwight, how cold was it up there?

Mid thirties in the middle of the day.
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/11/11 02:55 PM
We had a great time on the ice. Caught a variety pack of sunnies, perch, and crappie. The clarity on Bremer Pond is about two feet. Every other year it has been very clear. Had a couple bite offs, and then got a 28" NP. I was fairly surprised that it was that small since we usually see them at 35"+. Must be a runt, or sterile male.
Thanks Dwight.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/11/11 04:06 PM
Plump perch on the ice -- sounds good! smile
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/12/11 10:06 PM
Since they are going to be smoked. I used the electric fillet knife. Cut off their heads, then about a half inch off the bottom of the belly to de-gut, and wash. A little running water to get the slime off and they are ready. I am reading the fish section of "Home Book of Smoke-Cooking, by Sleight and Hull.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/12/11 10:19 PM
Were out there yesterday afternoon and evening. Good ice, 5", but the lake we were given was a tough one. Extreme depth variations, a ton of structure and when we could find the fish, they were reluctant to bite. And were scattered throughout the water column. Very little luck. Nothing worthy of a picture.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/13/11 01:21 AM
Thanks for the update, Omaha. Sorry to hear the fish were uncooperative, but hey, there's a lot of winter left....
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/13/11 03:20 AM
I broke ice today off of the pier in one of my smaller ponds to release a 4 inch perch from one of my RAS tanks. I aclimated him first in a container by allowing it to cool down most of the day.)

He had made his way through the screen around the center drain. Most of my perch are too big to fit through the screen. I found the little rascal in the bottom of my clarifier tank when I pulled the gate valve to purge the center drain pipe of solids.

Call me a softy but considering the time and effort it took me to produce this little guy, and the fact that I think all life is precious, I had to release him into the pond. It took some effort to break the ice and it was pretty dark out there at 9:30 P.M.

There were four other small ones that other day but I forgot about them in the bucket outside and they froze solid. blush
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/13/11 06:22 AM
Perchcicles!!
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/18/11 03:38 PM
There some sort of moose in Dwight's pond. Had it on for about 10 minutes last night before it ran into structure and broke me off. Didn't get to see what kind it was although I am assuming NP. Did catch a bunch of other fish, dominated by crappie. One more thing about that fish, I know where it lives, and expect to see it again this winter.
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/18/11 04:30 PM
Heavier line, tighter drag! Good luck!

IIRC I heard Dwight stocked a couple of mini-whales with the SMB and WE.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/19/11 06:54 PM
just had to push the first of my annual trips to my dad's house back by a few weeks. Completely unfair, weather. 48 degrees on the 19th of december in Chicago?

What the French, Toast??!!

So the first date has been pushed back to the weekend of jan 21st. Anybody in that area (N. Illinois or S. Wisconsin) please let me know if you get good ice in the near future.

I'm pumped...and I've been itching to drill into solid ice for over a month at this point.

Bring it, Winter!

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg3zg5q99e1qd3ppyo1_400.jpg
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/19/11 08:02 PM
There was some ice early last week, although it wasn't safe to walk on. The rain on Wed. made that disappear and I don't see any ice forming in the next week or so. 53°F out now.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/20/11 06:10 PM
There some sort of moose in Dwight's pond. Had it on for about 10 minutes last night before it ran into structure and broke me off. Didn't get to see what kind it was although I am assuming NP. Did catch a bunch of other fish, dominated by crappie. One more thing about that fish, I know where it lives, and expect to see it again this winter.

Call up the Discovery network and tell them you think it's a lone, surviving plesiosaur. They might put a team together and fly out to film a new docu-drama. I, for one, would appreciate something entertaining to watch.....
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/20/11 09:05 PM
Check back on this thread for pictures. It is just a matter of time. I did go to some braid backing, 6 lb florocarbon leader, and reel with a smooth drag instead of the thumb burner I had.
Posted By: Peepaw Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/20/11 10:49 PM
Will do, I'm here at the boarder between Illinois and Wisconsin. Just a few minutes south of Lake Geneva. Skim ice gone again almost everything is still open. Will let you know as things lock up.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/23/11 03:23 PM
Here is the photo. The stick will tell the story.

Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/23/11 03:35 PM
That is an awesome mess of fish. Very well done!

I still don't see a plesiosaur, however.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/23/11 03:40 PM
Mmmmmm... Hamm's....
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/23/11 03:56 PM
I've heard that smoke fish vacuum seals very well for overnight shipment to Pennsylvania.
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/23/11 05:28 PM
Caught a bunch of bass too, that we released. No NP nosing around last night, but she is down there. Fastest action ever on Bremer Pond. Fished from 1530 hours until 2030 hours. Pretty busy. Seven inches of ice now.
Posted By: CoachB Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/23/11 10:00 PM
Ready to fish and have two weeks off. Where is the ice!?!!? I tempted to throw the kayak on the pond and start to vertical jig.
Posted By: JamesBryan Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/23/11 10:24 PM
I saw the Hamms also......From the Land of Sky Blue Waters.......good stuff!
Posted By: txelen Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/24/11 12:37 AM
I've been fishing on a lake up by my parent's place in northern Wisconsin. Had shiners under tip-ups for Walleye the past two evenings, but no flags.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/24/11 02:41 PM
Tom Skilling of WGN (awesome for regional midrange weather forecasts and predictions of upcoming snowstorms) says we're supposed to have above average temps down here at my latitude of northern Indiana, Illinois etc., up through part of January. Doesn't look good for ice formation down here. I had some ice on the ponds but it left and the most I get is partial ice or thin ice now.
Posted By: txelen Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/25/11 04:26 AM
Picked up an 18" walleye under a tip-up tonight. Medium shiner about 12" off the bottom in about 4' of water, in an area that still has some green weeds. Roughly 8" of ice is on the lake (northern WI).
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/26/11 09:49 PM
Record high temp today for December 26th. 53F!!
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/27/11 01:04 PM
Hey Cecil, you're spot on about tom skilling. Im in st louis and still watch wgn to hear what the conditions are like @ my parents house. Since you are up near there, what do you think my prospects look like for a hardwater trip to the northwestern part of the chain in the third week of janurary? We had 3" of snow here last night, but warming up near 50 here later this week. What does tom say...is my ice fishing trip going to be a regullar fishing trip?
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/27/11 01:11 PM
Hey peepaw....sounds like you are neighbors to my parents...they're right south of johnsville (sp), by morraine hills, in a roundabout way. Where are you?
Posted By: Peepaw Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/29/11 01:24 AM
I live between Mchenry and Wooodstock. Not far at all from Moraine hills.Skim ice in most areas of the chain and surrounding waters. Your trip should still be good to go???
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/30/11 03:50 PM
I hope so. just a few weeks away, and although at least one cold snap in there, there are still temps looking in the 40's on the 15 day outlook.

They are just north of island lake, south of a town that i think is called johnsville, right off of 31 & twelve in a tiny little neighborhood. Glad a neighbor is on the forum. sounds like a ten minute drive from their house to yours.

-mike
Posted By: Peepaw Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/30/11 09:15 PM
You bet, Johnsburg is the town, know right where it is. Warm and rainy today/tomorrow but water is about 33 degrees. will lock up next week let's hope for good. Will keep you posted.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/31/11 12:42 AM
As of 6PM CST there are around two dozen BG, YP, and BCP lying on the ice. Photo(s) to follow in the AM, hopefully. grin
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/31/11 09:22 PM
Friday's catch.

Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/31/11 10:01 PM

Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/31/11 10:17 PM
Let us see your ice fishing catch for yesterday. laugh
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/31/11 10:34 PM
No ice! 55 degrees today. I was out playing with the kids in a t-shirt! New flasher and nowhere to use it. cry
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/31/11 10:47 PM
If you check out my Weekly Observations thread you will see that we are teetering on the edge of open water. shocked
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/31/11 11:01 PM
I would gladly take 6" right now.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 12/31/11 11:25 PM
I would be ecstatic with 4".
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/03/12 04:32 PM
I would be ecstatic with 4".

Ditto. I've got my whiteboard calendar set up with the projected temps for the next 15 days. Only 7 will stay under 34. A few, though, are very cold with highs in the low 20's from the 13-16. If that pans out, i think my trip on the 19th-22nd should be okay.

However, if you look at the preceding week to that, from the 5th to the 11th we have highs from 40-45. Lame. Uber-lame.

Fortunately the lows each night drop below 30 every night. With short days, I would assume we're spending more time freezing than thawing. Fingers crossed it stays locked up starting on the eighth (right after the warming spell starts to go away on the 7th).

Keep me posted, PeePaw.
-mike

disclaimer: I know that a 15 day forecast can be ridiculously inaccurate. I've been banking on that for weeks, and unfortunately, they have been spot on. It hurts, but looks like accuweather is actually accurate this time.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/04/12 05:27 PM
with a daily average 2 degrees Celsius below freezing (28.4 degrees F), from an open pool of water, it takes roughly 4 days to make 10cm of ice (3.9 inches), assuming that the very bottom-most point of the ice layer is exactly 0 degrees, and the topmost layer maintains -2 degrees on average, and the heat transfer of the water temperature below the bottom-most point of the ice layer relates evenly across the entire body to average observed conductivity of solid state h20 (ice) in its natural, observable form. Meaning, in the next two weeks, you should hope for at least 8 consecutive days where it remains below 25 if you would like to hit 6 inches of ice, assuming the upper control limit of baseline plus (2.5* the standard deviation of temperature fluxes) in the chicagoland area on an average, observable janurary.

So i got a new job where i am surrounded by scientists all the time, and one of them in our milwaukee office who knows my plight of no ice, came back to me with that answer this morning. To all you biologists, chemists, physicists and everyone else out there...i love you for being smart enough to improve our lives....but sheesh....couldn't you have just said "if it averages at 25 for at least a week you'll be okay"?

disclaimer:
I left out the excel chart where he plots average janurary temperatures...without it that equation looks wonky...

Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/04/12 07:00 PM
I don't know about scientists, but I had an instructor once who was fond of picking on engineers:

"If you asked an engineer to define the process of taking a leak, he or she would come back in an hour with a set of blueprints, a bill of materials, a list of required permits, and a notepad filled with mathematical equations showing you why taking a leak was utterly impossible. Geez, when are these guys gonna' learn that it's not always so difficult!"

My apologies to any engineers present......... kinda! There are days where I can appreciate his sentiments.....
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/04/12 10:14 PM
laugh
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/05/12 01:16 AM
Ice fishing suspended on Bremer Pond. Icey dicey. We are forecast to have a high in the upper 50's Thursday. Maybe set a new record.
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/05/12 01:17 AM
Time for snowshoes?
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/05/12 01:25 AM
Or a hovercraft fish shack.
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/05/12 05:31 AM
Speaking of hovercrafts, there's one for sale about a mile and a half from here. Want the phone #? wink
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/05/12 12:31 PM
Speaking of hovercrafts, there's one for sale about a mile and a half from here. Want the phone #? wink

Pedal powered?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/05/12 01:08 PM
This thread needs more pictures (and not pictures of JHAP....just heading that off early).
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/05/12 03:32 PM
This thread needs more pictures

+1
(and not pictures of JHAP....just heading that off early).
I'll assume another +1.

At the moment, I could give you an open water pic of dad's pond. that's about it.

On a side note, anyone here ever tried the "rubber band trick" with a tip up? I've seen that it is amazingly successful with some trout species, what about LMB?

On a second side note, who's got plans for an easy home-made tip-up? I would really like to catch something on something i have made. I have two that i've put together so far this year waiting for ice, buit am having spooling problems with both of them. One is a hook-set, a spring-loaded arm sets the hook once the line is pulled out. The other is a basic swinging arm. Once i get a few minutes, i'll take pics and maybe you guys can improve my design.
-mike
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/10/12 09:36 PM
Dear Weather:
What the hell? So i track you for a few weeks, and it all looks good for the weekend of the 29th, and then, all of a sudden, out of nowhere, contrary to the spreadsheet of projected temps i've been keeping and updating, the WGN forecast says "But hey! If we can make it through this snow, it looks like next week we will have a warmup in the middle of the week again that will have our temps back up into the mid 40's for wednesday and thursday!"

GRRRRAAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAGHGHGHHHAHAHAHAHHGHGHG!

sincerely,
-mike
Posted By: Peepaw Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/10/12 11:06 PM
Sorry man, still thin up here. Supposed to get cold starting tomorrow, I still think you'll be fine. Lot's of backwater holding slabs. Keep the faith....
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 12:26 AM
I feel your pain Skinny. Still waiting here also.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 02:17 AM
So, in my boredom and frustration waiting for a solid freeze, I started meddling with scrap wood in my basement, out of a desire to catch something on something I built myself. I dunno, call me crazy, but in a Hemingwayesque sort of way, I think that is a pretty cool way to test yourself and your abilities. Furthermore, I think that something like this could apply to the "if the SHTF" thread, and it might help with this issue:
This thread needs more pictures

So, after I get through explaining my overly complicated and unlikely to work device, maybe other posters could join in and discuss crazy contraptions they have made. At least it will kill time until we finally get ice.

So here goes nothing.

Thar she blows. Sorry for my grainy image, there isnt too good of light in my work area of my basement. The idea is simple, the line is guided out of the spool by an eye-screw set right in front of the spool, and then goes up to the eyelet on the arm, and down through the eyelet at the base.

Here's another grainy pic of the base, where you can see the eyelets in front of the spool and at the base,

Basically, the contraption takes the path of least resistance. Since the arm moves easier than the spool would when the arm is up, the arm moves first. then, once the eyes line up better when the arm is down, the line spools off pretty smoothly. I need to take that fluoro off and put a spool of braid on, but other than that and some spray paint to pretty it up, It's pretty much done.

Finally, when doing the dry run to make sure i had the spool tight enough on the wood screw (but not too tight), i noted that if the fish were to stop running away from the hole and start circling, or coming back, the arm would drop back down, making it way too easy to gut-hook when you dont see the flag up. So i did this:

The refrigerator magnet holds the arm up easily, and doesnt get in the way of the line moving smoothly between the 3 eyes.

Anyway, i dont think this is a new design by any means, so this might not be any surprise to anybody, but i would love to hear any suggestions on it, and i would happily hear any ideas anyone has for different construction.

Total cost: $0...it is all scrap and hardware i had in my workspace.
Total Time: 2 hours, mainly trying to fidgit with where to put the line guide and find the right length of the arm, tighten the spool properly and whatnot. After initial construction, i built another in the same dimensions in about 20 minutes. Just need a miter saw, drill, and 2 drill bits (thick one for the swinging arm, small one for pilot holes for screws).

Materials:
3 small L brackets, 2 of which are just for the magnet piece.
5 wood screws; 2 for the main construction, one for each magnet L Bracket, one longer one for the spool
3 wide washers, all used to make the spool turn and space it away from the vertical piece
1 machine screw for the swinging arm
1 nut for machine screw
3 washers for machine screw and swinging arm.
3 eye screws
1 1x oak material for base
1 1/2" dowel for swinging arm (long end is 15", dont remember how long the eyelet-end is)
1 2" wide piece of trim for the vertical piece, the scrap i cut off the top was used to reinforce the vertical piece.

And that's it.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 02:54 AM
Cool.
Dwight, Cecil, and B'ski have formidable competition now....
Posted By: Peepaw Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 03:03 AM
Nice work but I can tell you need to take a drive and find some hardwater!!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 03:16 AM
That's awesome Mike! May be a little cumbersome getting it out on the ice, but I love the idea.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 03:20 AM
May be a little cumbersome getting it out on the ice

the benefit of fishing in my dads back yard wink

One thing i am worried about is the flag not staying up. If that magnet falls off, or gets knocked off, The flag will only be up if the fish is actively pulling on it.

It's been 2 years of trying to get the bass to grow, and now that I have Walt the 3lb Bass, I'd hate to mistakenly kill him.

Of course, gut-hook a pike, i could care less.
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 05:54 AM
WhooHoo! Bring on the warm weather! wink grin
I'd rather have open water than 1" of ice all winter.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 06:31 AM
WhooHoo! Bring on the warm weather! wink grin
I'd rather have open water than 1" of ice all winter.

I hate you so much right now.

This is me walking up to your computer and leaning on your desk and giving you a stern, menacing look.
('_')
|\\-------

('_')//
. | ___|_|___

And that was me going hulk on you and flipping the desk right over.

Sorry. Sometimes I get a little carried away. ('_')
Let me just straighten that back out --------//|

Disclaimer: I don't actually hate anybody, nor will I be tossing over tables, desks, or other pieces of furniture or computer-holding devices. Furthermore, I am unsure of my ability to look either stern or menacing, any attempt would probably just appear ironically jubilant.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 01:15 PM
I have Northern Pike that would pull that thing down and eat it. Don't talk about gut hooking NP and not caring. Mean just pain MEAN. mad
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 01:55 PM
Yeah, maybe not caring is the wrong statement. Im not trying to execute them by cruel and unusual punishment, but the pike are a problem species in dads pond, so we do want to make as many pikecicles as possible.

That brings me to a detail I didn't mention earlier, though, sliding and movement. On the back end of the base of the second one of these I made I put two drywall screws through it so they poke out of the oak base by about a quarter to a half inch. They work as cleats, which should keep the thing from moving around or being tilted into the hole.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 03:32 PM
So here's the temp chart that my scientist friend made for me. The blue horizontal line is 30.15 degrees, which represents the lower control limit for making an inch of ice per day. It doesn't look so hot from here, with 4 days breaching the line between now and when my trip is scheduled.

Add to that that the temps reported on the longterm forecast have been trending up as they get nearer, and it looks like the ice will be just under the "safe enough for my wife not to worry" line of 5-7 inches. We still might be cool with 4-5 inches, but with all of the warm springs in my dad's pond, looks like i will, at best, spend the day sitting on the dock and only venturing out to chase flags as far out as a safety rope can lead me.

Dear Weather,
GRARRGHHHAGGRAH!
Sincerely,
Mike
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 04:40 PM
laugh

Skinny:

You can go on thinner ice if you spread your weight out over a larger footprint, such as using snowshoes.

When I was a teenager, the fishing on the lake was HOT. There was about 5" of ice on the lake. A warm front came thru with rain, turning the lake into honeycomb ice. We had an aluminum jon boat. I put the boat on the ice, stood in the back of it, and slid it out on the ice by using an ice spud to shove the boat along. I caught many fish that day thru the same holes I was using before the rain came thru and messed up the ice. The boat spread out my weight enough so that the ice didn't even sink enough to bring water up on top of it.

I can't even imagine what people were thinking if they saw me out there!!!

Where there's a will, there's a way!
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 06:10 PM
Next invention to be posted:
How to properly tie tennis rackets to my boots.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 07:05 PM
I've used the Jon boat trick many times myself. I like to kneel on the rear bench seat, hang one leg over the back, and kick my way out. If you're wearing cleats, and the surface is swept clear of snow, you can really get up some speed.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 08:05 PM
I m still going up on the 25th, safe ice or no, so ill just play it safe @the first and fish right off the dock, the dropoff to 12 ft is only about 5 yards away from there, so I can at least set up a few flags that are only a few steps away. Ill take a life line and tie it to the dock, and at least until I can be sure ice is thick that far out, only drill as far as the line can reach. Worst case scenario @ this point is that the long range forecast keeps bumping up the temps, or that the last few days of forecast im waiting for (so far have it out to the 25th), says that the actual days I will be fishing keep warming up too.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 08:42 PM
Quick and Dirty Ice Shoes:

Take an old pair of boots and attach them to a pair of 2” x 12” boards about 36” long with deck screws. You will have roughly 700 square inches of area supporting you on the ice. If you weigh 200 pounds, that is less than .3 pounds per square inch. 2 inches of good ice – good to go!
Posted By: Brettski Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 09:17 PM
If this fails, have survivors invert deceased 180 degrees with deck board intact, and build a deck.

use cracked ice to keep beer cold
Posted By: fishm_n Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 09:42 PM
dwight, I want a picture!!
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 10:20 PM
Originally Posted By: fishm_n
dwight, I want a picture!!

skinnybass is probably building a pair as I type. Maybe he will share; photo-wise.

I certainly hope he doesn't run the deck screws through the boards into the wife's new oak floors. I should have mentioned that. grin
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 10:33 PM
Lol.....actually im going to wait on strapping 3' boards to my legs, and will likely tie the safety line to my belt instead.

The thing that I'm waiting for is the official "wife wont freak out at me for trying" thickness, which i have arbitrarily set at like 6". Right now, if that spreadsheet were to remain exactly how it has forecasted thus far, that is pretty much what I will be dealing with. Unfortunately, if i look at the past few weeks and how the initial forecast has played out in actual temperatures, things will be much warmer than that.

And fortunately.....we havent gotten to the point where they are "her" new oak floors. I paid for them, installed them, sanded them, buffed them, stained them and clear-coated them. Them is my oak floors.

everything else, though, yeah...that's hers

Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 10:43 PM
Originally Posted By: skinnybass
And fortunately.....we havent gotten to the point where they are "her" oak floors. I paid for them, installed them, sanded them, buffed them, stained them and clear-coated them. Them is my oak floors.

If it is part of her home, it is hers. How long have you been married, anyway?? grin
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 10:46 PM

everything else, though, yeah...that's hers

I just take credit for the floor. The roof, walls, furniture, and both residents most definitely are hers. wink
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 11:05 PM
You told her that 6" was the minimum thickness you would go out on? You went so far as to provide an actual number? One that is easily verifiable?

Dwight's right, how long have you been married skinny? laugh
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/11/12 11:14 PM
No, i didnt provide her the number. She, however, has come with me on a number of occasions, and has never been out on less than 8" of ice. She knows that most people say 4" is all good, but at that point she freaks that the depth of ice wont be consistent across the pond. So.....I assume that she would be okay with 6 (hence saying i have arbitrarily set the thickness level for the "she won't freak on me" depth).

Whether or not that is true, i will have to find out. She will be there as well, since she and my mom have some plans for the same weekend (hence me not being able to re-schedule, and why i am going up on the 25th safe ice or not).

And last of all...we're not actually married. Engaged at the moment, but we've been living together for almost 6-7 years at this point. "wife" though, is a lot easier to type than "long-time committed partner of the female variety to whom i plan to marry in the not so distant future." In either case, she probably deserves better than "fiance" after our extended engagement. wink

Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 12:05 AM
I pulled a RBT out of the pond this evening for dinner. There's open water on about 1/3 of the pond. 19" 3.67# RW 120 smile

1/16 oz. gold/red Little Cleo spoon.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 12:09 AM
Gotcha.
So you've been together for 6-7 years, she ice fishes, she gets along with your mother..... and she recognizes that ice thickness can vary dramatically over a short distance.

Responsible, outgoing with a probable sense of humor, compassionate, and pretty dang smart. Sounds familiar. 22 years and counting, married to a girl just like that. Pretty awesome stuff. smile smile
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 12:11 AM
I pulled a RBT out of the pond this evening for dinner. There's open water on about 1/3 of the pond. 19" 3.67# RW 120 smile

1/16 oz. gold/red Little Cleo spoon.

NICE!!!

When did you stock those again?
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 12:26 AM
2nd week in October, they went in at an average weight of 2# each. I'm feeding AM600 once a day at noon. 50# lasts more than a month. Stocked 50 fish.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 02:06 AM
Gotcha.
So you've been together for 6-7 years, she ice fishes, she gets along with your mother..... and she recognizes that ice thickness can vary dramatically over a short distance.

Responsible, outgoing with a probable sense of humor, compassionate, and pretty dang smart. Sounds familiar. 22 years and counting, married to a girl just like that. Pretty awesome stuff. smile smile

spot on for all accounts, especially it being pretty awesome stuff. Maybe she's not huge into ice fishing, but supportive of my northerly addiction. Plus she's a southerner, so she can cook and knows that gravy is supposed to be white and be made mainly of bacon grease. In fact right now she's slow cooking a potato bacon and corn chowder for tomorrow, which is making me want to drop my computer and hover over the crock pot.

And she knows more about plants and animals than I could learn in a lifetime..I think why she fishes with me is so she can study the ponds, turtles etc. She's a "biogeographer" by education, and currently operating as a part herpotologist and part microbiologist/botanist in a study she's working on. Yeah.....probably a keeper. Even if she keeps me off the ice in 3 weeks.

After that explanation, maybe I will let her own the floors after all.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 02:17 AM
Oh yeah, white gravy kicks brown gravy butt.

Especially over mashed potatoes.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 02:29 AM
Oh yeah, white gravy kicks brown gravy butt.

Especially over mashed potatoes.
if by "mashed potatoes" you mean "all substances that are edible and some that are not," then hellz yeah!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 02:48 AM
It kills me when the waitress asks, "Would you like gravy on that?" What kind of question is that anyway?

You bring me a fondue pot full of gravy and some of those pointy wooden skewers and I'll show you how it's done. You're talking to someone who could use white gravy as a topping for ice cream.

I'm sorry, what was this thread originally about, again?
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 02:58 AM
Women, or...inventions? Wait......shoes?

Screw it...heard any good jokes lately?

Why does lightning strike people in public?

Cuz he doesn't know how to CONDUCT himself! Zing!

Seriously, anybody have another tip up design?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 03:24 AM
You guys are hijacking your hijacks. Hilarious.

Nice tips, Mike. Enjoy using them next year. No way the lower 48 are going to see ice again this year. I hear even Dwight had to suspend all ice activity due to lack of the afforementioned.

We have two subzero days and all next week it's back to 40s and 50s. I have never witnessed a Winter like this in my memory. I have 1000 waxies turning black. I have a new Eskimo tent still in original package, and a four way aquavu screaming to be used. More's the pity...I'm going open water next week. If you can't beat em....
Posted By: blair5002 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 03:26 AM
No tip up design but this is what I built today. I came up with the idea after losing 3 3+lbs brook trout in the Ice hole in one day.

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 03:49 AM
Nice work Blair...I love the "soooo the fish can't get back throoooooough the hooooooole." grin
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 03:54 AM
Tj, accd to the meteorologists, well have a few inches @the the end of this weekend, 2 days of 37 and 41degrees respectively and then back down to below freezing again. Just need it to be around 25for for a few days and were good.

Well have ice, or im flipping over tom skillings' desk.

Don't know about nebraska, but the chi WILL produce hard water.

Stage 1: denial. Stage 2:avoidance. Stage 3: desk flipping.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 03:56 AM
Blair....that is awesome. I bow to the master.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 03:57 AM
I can't get enough of this guy. Keep typing skinny!

And I hope you're right. I've been playing with my Vex on my kitchen table far more than I will ever admit.
Posted By: blair5002 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 04:22 AM
Nice work Blair...I love the "soooo the fish can't get back throoooooough the hooooooole." grin

It took me 34 Takes to get this high quality production.

Yes TJ I lack talking skills. Thats why I should leave the video stuff to the experts Bob Lusk and Nate Herman.
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 04:48 AM
Here they are talking about highs in the mid 20's and the low in the lower teens until the weekend, then highs in the lower 30's. It'll make ice, but with the snow, I don't know how good it'll be.

Chicago area 5"-8". Here about the same, but then lake effect kicks in and nobody's saying how much will come down.

The last storm we were supposed to get 3"-4" and I had 14" here. It all disappeared about 4 days after it fell.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 04:57 AM
Macguyver challenge 1):
Create a tip up including at least one common mousetrap (which must be a functioning piece, not just dangling off the side), other materials are common bits and pieces...dowel rods, 2x4, screws, spool of line etc

Macguyver challenge 2):
create a hook set tip up with common household items

Any takers?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 05:09 AM
I think you're doing great man. Keep it up - ingenius device.
Posted By: fishm_n Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 07:39 AM
I'll take you up on your challege, Skinny!!

Give us a two week deadline?

I dont think I have any 2x4 fours at my house though. hehe.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 01:30 PM
Someone needs to get out there and catch some fish and post some photos! That is the real challenge.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 01:35 PM
I dont think we need any harsh deadlines.

Also, whatever materials you have or anybody could easily get a hold of is fine, it's a macguyver challenge, so if you can stop a bank robbery with some fishing line, two gum wrappers and two thirds of an ounce of kitty litter, SWEET!

Whatever you have is great, just macguyver it up. I think that simplicity is the key, though. However much i wouldn't object to seeing things spot-welded together or with a complicated electrical system, cogs, gears, hamster-wheels, chemical and bio-neucleic reactions, I think it would be more fun to see things that anybody could make.

In other words, if you are a nuclear engineer, that is awesome, but not everybody can get depleted uranium to power the flux capacitor your tip-up requires.

To get us started, this is the one they taught us to make in the boy scouts. I didn't have a spring doorstop at home, which is why i made the one that i did.

http://boyslife.org/hobbies-projects/projects/18131/how-to-make-ice-fishing-tip-ups/
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 01:42 PM
Someone needs to get out there and catch some fish and post some photos! That is the real challenge.

We were apparently typing at the same time, Dwight, but i wholeheartedly agree.

I'm just trying to stay entertained until i can get out there.

Mike
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 01:46 PM

Wouldn't that require ice, first?

Or have we opened this thread up to include open water, winter fishing? If so, I have caught fish every weekend since Christmas. I caught a few yesterday morning before work. Thinking about heading out for a few right now. Very windy however, and starting to snow.
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 05:59 PM
Dwight's pond has reformed good ice. Time to get back out!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 06:02 PM
We need PICTURES!!!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 06:24 PM
We have freezing temps here, all day yesterday, last night, today and tonight - of course it's still howling around 20-30 mph winds. Perfect timing. We needed just ONE calm night for an inch to be established...no such luck.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 08:00 PM
dad just called, they had a skim of ice survive the warm spell to last night, and ridonkulously cold so far today, his neighbor drilled off his pier and they have 1.5-2 inches, varying from 3 holes drilled, 2 holes @ chuck's house, one at dad's.

Ice is solid across the middle of the pond, just not at the shoreline. Snow is coming down, but ridonkulous wind isnt letting it stay on the ice, and is blowing and drifting into yards and up against houses.

3 more days of temps only getting to a high of 27, then one day above freezing projected on monday, then we are back into highs in the mid 20's - low 30's, with the possibility of an isolated thawing 2-day period (37 and 42 degree highs) in the next 2 weeks, and plenty of single-digit lows coming up.

I think not this weekend but next some BOW's in the chain will be safe. The following weekend is my trip.

It's on, tom skillings!

Dear Weather,
thanks.
-mike

Edit, here's the temp chart updated. I dropped the "freeze" line down to 28.4 degrees (-2c).

Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 08:43 PM
We need PICTURES!!!

Here's the best i can do until the 26th.

-mike
Posted By: Peepaw Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 08:46 PM
now you guys are starting to look like the ol' boys I talk crappie fishing with in Mississippi.Eat first, then fish. Have faith Mike, it'll have ice for your trip!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 09:11 PM
Sweet mercy.....

Mike, you and I are going to have to fish/eat/fish together this summer.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 09:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Peepaw
now you guys are starting to look like the ol' boys I talk crappie fishing with in Mississippi.Eat first, then fish.

I know those guys here in st. louis too.....sometimes i wonder, though, are they actually willing to eat what comes out of the mississippi? I've seen enough saugeye and channel cats with weird bumps and sores to know not to do that.
Sweet mercy.....

Mike, you and I are going to have to fish/eat/fish together this summer.

It's on. Actually, PeePaw can probably help out with this too. Up by him and my parents' house (in Johnsburg) is this ridiculously awesome place....the Epic Deli.

http://www.facebook.com/epicdeli

We hit a portillos, get an italian sausage (with sweet peppers and juice), get to fish, go to the epic deli, fish some more, sleep, have some breakfast covered in white gravy, and then fish some more.

But.....ice fishing comes first!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 09:49 PM
<-----seeing how many vacation days he has this year. grin
Posted By: Peepaw Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 11:08 PM
Let's go!! I know both spots and your right on the mark. I still think the ice will be fine. You guys can come fish Wonder Lake too. Only Have to blindfold you when going to the "secret" crib locations for a mixed bag of eyes,gills,perch and bass!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/12/12 11:22 PM
My ice comes and goes. We probably had four inches a week ago, and two inches yesterday. We got about 2 inches of rain overnight. The pond is 100% open today. It is 53 degrees outside right now, but they are calling for "thunder snows" later tonight, with a high of 18 two days from now.

I'm glad I've got some fillets in the freezer. That may be my extent of "ice" fishing.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/13/12 12:18 AM
That sounds about like yesterday here in Oklahoma. It was 60 F at 2 pm and it was snowing at 7.30 pm. Today was 39 F. Tomorrow it will be 50 F and Sunday it will be 60 F. But we don't do any ice fishing here.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/13/12 03:21 AM
I've actually never hit wonder lake before...fox, pistakee, bangs, grass, independence grove, butler, lakewood, deerpath, big bear, forest, channel, defiance and griswold with varying levels of success, but never touched wonder. Don't know why, I've always heard good things.

Do you have a personal pond in the area? Maybe sometme I can get you out on my dads pond for our everlasting pike hunt. Its right by griswold and defiance.

-mike
Posted By: fishm_n Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/13/12 06:17 AM
Skinny, a true challenge has boundries, thought it would be a good challenge to try and incorperate the Mouse trap.... Just for some thing to screw around with. and the self hook set one, there are tricks, that people have been nice enough to share.

I do have a very practical tip up I've been working on for a while. But dont have the proto type done yet.

Hopefully this week as its my week off, but the trip to visit the inlaws... WHat do they say. When life throughs you a curve ball, make lemonade, or yellow slushies!! hehe.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/13/12 01:30 PM
I think someone also once said "don't eat the yellow snow."
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/13/12 03:04 PM
<sigh>
15 day forecast updated this morning so that the entire preceeding week to when i am supposed to start fishing has highs in the mid-low 40's. With rain and thunderstorms, too.

LAME.
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/16/12 08:44 PM
Went fishing at Dwight's and listened to the games. Didn't get a picture, but got some perch, bluegill and crappie. Got a half dozen nice healthy bass we released. The time around sunset and an hour past dark are usually hot, but slower yesterday. I am putting it down to after effects of a large cold front that went by, or one of those big NP hanging around driving the panfish away. Ice at 7", clarity about the same at 36".
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/16/12 09:20 PM
Just got the report from my favorite bait shop in crystal lake, IL, dead center of crystal lake is 5" thick, with highs in the 20's for the rest of the week.

However, that does not make it safe, as a strong reminder to everyone as impatient as i am, a man died in long lake, IL, this past weekend, fishing on 4-5 inches of ice, but his son did report that they found areas where it was only 2-3 inches thick, fell through as it melted in the afternoon, and drowned. Please, everybody, be as careful as possible.

This man's failing, i believe, was that he let his son leave him out there alone for an hour or two. When the son came back he found the hole his father had fallen through, but his father had been moved by the current and drowned.

Here's a brief article on it:
http://www.galesburg.com/news/x3499557/Body-pulled-from-lake-off-of-Knox-County-Highway-15

Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/16/12 09:33 PM
Wow, sad story. I haven't grown a big enough pair to give my ice a test. I always wonder about currents under ice chewing away where I cannot see.

BTW how does one test ice thickness without getting out on it? Do you chuck larger and larger rocks until you find that a 210 pound rock chucked to 40MPH doesn't go thorough? (j/k but still?)

Only thing I can think of is going out on skis or snowshoes to distribute weight when ice near the edge is at least 3 inches. I am still too chicken though. Unfortunately I cannot find any politicians in DC to test my ice.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/16/12 09:36 PM
You gotta' get on it to test it. Use a spud bar or auger as you move out.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/16/12 09:43 PM
Yeah, I usually stand on the dock, drill straight down and measure. Then, if i feel that is safe, i go about 10 yards out to where the first of many good fishing spots are located, and i test it there. Wherever i am planning on going, unless i know the ice is a good 8 inches, i drill at least one test hole along the way, stop and measure. You can never be safe enough.

Also, it helps to know where your upwells of warm water are. Like my dad's pond bubbles water up from a variety of deep springs, so water that in the summer feels ice cold comes up, and the ice is always last to form there, and remains clear longer than anywhere else. If it is in any way shaky ice, stay away, stay far away from those spots.

Looking for "honeycomb" ice is a good indicator too.

-mike
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/16/12 09:56 PM
That's terrible. Always best to keep the safety precautions at the forefront. No matter how "seasoned" you are.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/16/12 10:00 PM
Of course this year, I just look for waves gently lapping against the shore to gage my ice thickness..............
Posted By: blair5002 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/16/12 10:11 PM
We have a small lake 2 miles away for perch and rainbow trout. 2 years ago it was late march with heavy snow cover. There was alot of methane gas(I think) bubbling up from the bottom. Every 4-5 seconds a big bubble(half the size of a gallon pail) would come up the fishing hole. Went back the next day and the hole was almost twice the size at the top of the ice and big below the surface. The ice was over 2 feet thick before but the bubbles had lifted enough water to eat ice like aeration. Temps were around freezing.

It was still safe to fish in but a truck driving over that hole would have put a tire through.Never know what happens in some lakes to make poor ice. Dad fell through one winter up to his armpits on our way out fishing. The ice was normally good but he stepped in a weaker boil looking spot and went through. The next weekend driving a 88 gmc regular cab long box drove over a snow drift and the back end fell in. Good thing it was only 3 feet deep. He has learned his lesson(I hope)
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/17/12 01:08 AM
Here they are calling for highs in the 20's and nights in the teens/single digits until Sat. Then 30's for a high and 50's for a high this coming Sunday.

First time on ice on a larger lake, I let others be the testers. If they are out there, then I think it's safe to go out. On my pond, I take a few steps and drill a hole. Couple more steps and another hole until I get to where I'm going. The Lazer auger drills holes fast.

Another thing to do is carry the auger horizontal to the ice. It will act as a wide wedge, and shouldn't go thru the hole with you as long as you keep holding onto it.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/17/12 04:28 AM
Good call, esshup! I almost forgot my trusty walking stick. I use it the same way, carrying it horizontally when walking on the ice. I never even considered using my auger the same way. Genius! 2 birds 1 stone.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/17/12 05:32 AM
Well, cross your fingers everybody. This morning I get to tell my boss that when I postponed my trip to next weekend, yeah I was lying about that, im leaving tomorrow!

Think the bossman will be okay with 18 hours notice?
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/17/12 03:44 PM
The Bossman Approves!!!! It's ON, TOM SKILLING!
Posted By: Peepaw Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/17/12 05:51 PM
pan fish on ice, can't beat it!
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/17/12 07:32 PM
We're aiming for pikecicles. Gotta get as many out as possible before they can spawn.

-mike
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/18/12 02:08 PM
9°F at Midway on my thermometer last night. Calling for 0°F Thurs night.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/18/12 05:14 PM
aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh

like 5.5 hours until i start my drive up.

soooooo.....about 0 work is being accomplished today.

-mike
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/19/12 02:34 PM
Was going to head out on Friday. 15 degree high and 3-6 inches of snow. Call me a sissy, but I am staying home to tend the fire.
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/19/12 02:40 PM
If you were sitting on a bucket outside, I wouldn't call you a sissy.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/19/12 02:41 PM
Should be good to go by this weekend here! Bout time!
Posted By: Peepaw Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/19/12 03:02 PM
Game on!!
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/21/12 08:58 PM
Here is some excitement for you.

Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/21/12 10:39 PM
So, when did you stock Lakers in Bremmer Pond?

Nice ice!
Posted By: fishm_n Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/21/12 11:13 PM
WOW, makes a guys Gelious!!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/22/12 12:38 AM
That is huge! Well done! Just as impressive is recognizing that the camera was rolling in hopes of sharing it here and not swearing when you pulled the fish through the hole!

Finally got on the ice this afternoon. Only picture worthy fish was a 16" LMB that broke off just as I lipped her.
Posted By: maashkinoozhe Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/22/12 12:59 AM
Not his fish guys...he's just trying to pump people up! Great fish but had seen that one a while ago smile
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/22/12 01:22 AM
That's not a fish, that's a battle-station! My God, you could have set that thing out for Thanksgiving.

Oh, finally grew a pair, and tested the ice. We are at 6" over most of the pond except where there are springs along one edge. So... WENT ICE SKATING! My son's first time and he did well, just one bruise on the knee, but he passed out at 7:30 from skating over 3 hours today. He loved it.
Posted By: CoachB Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/22/12 02:14 AM
Finally, finally, finally got on the ice today. Only three inches. The pond yielded five nice BG and a YP. The YP's stomach was full of small snails. Is that a good or a bad thing for my pond? It is supposed to get in the 40's again tomorrow.

B
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/22/12 02:23 AM
CoachB, do you have RES or PS in the pond? If not, you may want to look into getting some. You are at the Northern edge of RES survival, so they may be a crapshoot.
Posted By: Peepaw Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/22/12 02:46 AM
That is unbelievable footage and a lesson in keeping your cool. Hail to the master!!
Posted By: CoachB Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/22/12 02:46 AM
I have RES and they are doing well. I caught two today that were nice and healthy and my friend caught a small one. I would like to get some PS but have not found a supplier. Maybe I should stock some more this spring.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/22/12 02:08 PM
So, when did you stock Lakers in Bremmer Pond?

Nice ice!

This was only a motivational video that I got from the friend of a friend.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/23/12 03:40 PM
was out all weekend. Shallowest ice we found was 4.25 inches. By the time i left on sunday it was 6 in spots, but chicago's looking for a warmup in the near future.

Caught a few, mostly BG, but also a few small bass and 3 small pike, I'll post some pics once i get them uploaded. Look for them in the next few days.

My homemade tip-up made it out on the ice but never got hit.

-mike
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/23/12 03:57 PM
I figured you'd be making ice with the cold temps. 45°F now, with almost 1/2" of rain overnight. All the snow that fell on Friday is gone.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/23/12 04:09 PM
So.....thursday was mostly a bust. Got one pike that was 19 inches (all measurements are from after they froze into pikecicles) on a tip up in about 9 ft of water, large shiner 3' off the bottom.

Second pike was the biggest i have a picture of, at 24 inches, in 6' of water on a medium shiner, 2' off the bottom.

My friend matt, with his first ever ice fish, and his first ever pike, at 21.5 inches. Great story here, flag popped, by the time he got to it, nothing was on the end. He pulled the line in, saw the minnow still alive, placed it back in the hole and allowed it to sink while re-spooling the line. He said he watched as the minnow started to freak out, then watched the green rocket cross the hole, then the line started screaming off the spool in his hand, he dropped the tip up and brought the fish back in.

And here is one of the bass. we didnt take too many pics, because we like to get them back int he water asap, but this guy was gut hooked, and died on the ice. Pretty much all bass were the same size.

Finally, one of the neighbors was out and did pull out a 32" pike, which he promptly ate.

Sunday was the killer day, though. I was packing up all my stuff and loading it into the car for the drive home. I took 3 tip ups and laid them out in front of dad's pier. I didnt even check for depth, just put them all at 6' under the ice.

In the 2.5 hours fishing i did, i had 12 flags that i had to race from the house to catch, and landed 3 bass and my dad nabbed a pike which he laid out on the yardstick on his pier and said it was 27. He should be sending me a pic shortly. I left him those 3 tip ups and my auger considering that the fishing was awesome at the beginning of the day, hoping he would land a few more. Unfortunately, they were calling for icy conditions for pretty much my entire drive home, so i couldn't stick around. I might try to go back for next saturday, but have a lot of projects to take care of, so we will see.

-mike
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/23/12 04:12 PM
Awesome Mike!
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/23/12 04:20 PM
honestly, i'm just relieved that i got to go. No more panicking as i check the weather forecast each day.

wink
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/23/12 04:44 PM
You had a good trip! I can see the main focus now will be removing pike rather than LMB.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/23/12 05:23 PM
absolutely. The person who stocked them in didnt clear it with the rest of the lake committee, and they all agree they dont want any. Not to mention he put way too many in for a 7.5 acre pond.

The way i see it, any pike minnows and yoy need as many bass in the lake as possible to gulp them down.

It was a little disconcerting to see the shiners that were victims of drag n drops (flag pops, only pulls out a foot or 2 of line and drops the bait) had lost so many scales and many had puncture wounds.

No matter that i get at least one or two out each time i go up there, it seems as if it is still a pretty significant problem. And now they are all old enough to spawn. ugh. but....6 down this weekend. 3 of mine, one of matt's, one at the neighbor's and one dad got on sunday.

Now adorning the dock in the form of pikecicles.
-skinny

Posted By: Peepaw Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/23/12 07:32 PM
Should fillet and eat those babies. Young and tender taste the best!
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/23/12 10:16 PM
honestly, i'm just relieved that i got to go. No more panicking as i check the weather forecast each day.

wink

I am glad you got to go. I was beginning to worry about your well being; shore locked so far into the winter. grin
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/23/12 10:27 PM
next plan is for the weekend of feb 4. We'll see. I doubt they will lose an inch of ice between now and then, but other things like employment might get in the way of another trip.

-mike
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/23/12 11:21 PM
I'll bet they lost at least 1" of ice from Sunday night to tonight. Mid 40's and rain made all the snow here go bye-bye.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/24/12 03:02 PM
Yeah, looks like there are more warm days than freezing days in the near future, and each freezing day is followed directly by highs in the mid 40's, so I guess that was my only trip of the year.

Oh well, the pike hit buzzbaits and rattletraps too.

-mike
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/27/12 04:55 PM
looks like there is another cold snap coming in 2 weeks. Assuming that an inch and a half of ice has been lost between the last cold snap and the next one, there might be time for another trip!

mike
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/27/12 11:26 PM
Headed out to my ponds today - main pond had around 2.5-4" - felt like it was a little dicey, but this is the first chance I've had to fish since early December with our warm weather.

We caught and culled approx 40 BG from 3-6", but managed one Bull CSBG which was a very pleasant suprise, a few 6-7" RES, 3 nice SMB from 12-14" and a couple YP before the wind started rolling.

Attached picture Picture 575.jpg
Attached picture Picture 569.jpg
Attached picture Picture 568.jpg
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/28/12 12:49 AM
Coolness!

Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/28/12 01:33 AM
Thanks for the pictures!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/28/12 04:27 AM
I've had SMB stocked for three years and this is the first time I've ever caught them through the ice - and caught 3 today! WRs were solid 110+ on two, the last one was a little torpedo shaped and under 100. Must not be a pellet trained fish. Wish he'd get busy hammering BG, then.

The RES are a challenge to get to strike - they are very tenative and I have to jig them up 4-5' from the bottom until they finally commit. Keep your jokes to yourself, yes, I chose to stand, but wasn't on my tip toes.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/28/12 05:16 AM
That RES is just beautiful!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/28/12 04:27 PM
Alright, it's official. In less than two weeks I will be traveling with a friend to Brainerd, MN to help out with World's Largest Charitable Ice Fishing Contest! Pretty excited. Might even get to fish!
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/28/12 06:28 PM
That's cool! Bring your warm clothes, and waterproof boots. With the weather this year you don't know what it'll be like. They are predicting 51°F here on Thursday.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/28/12 06:29 PM
Yeah, I have to do some shopping soon. Was told my Nebraska winter gear wasn't good enough.
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/28/12 06:42 PM
If it's going to be cold out, your local winter gear is like someone from Florida's winter gear going to Nebraska.

I've got a pair of insulated pack boots that are rated for 120°F below, and if I'm not moving around my feet still get cold in the nasty weather.

If it's bad, you could see -30°F or worse on the thermometer. Disposable chemical heating packs are your best friend! I like the larger ones, that are supposed to run for 18 hrs. (about 6" square).
Posted By: RAH Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/28/12 06:52 PM
It's 34 here right now but the water in our stream feels a bit colder. Just got back from a dip. The rope railing is tied to a tree on one side but on the other side just to a metal fence post. The melting snow made the 2' wide plank bridge a wee bit slippery and the ground was not quite frozen enough to keep the metal post upright when I grabbed the rope railing to stop myself from going over. Landed upright in belly deep water. Quite a jolt. Didn't spend too much time in the water, and high-tailed it back inside for a hot shower. Think I'll avoid the bridge till it dries up.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/28/12 07:14 PM
If it's going to be cold out, your local winter gear is like someone from Florida's winter gear going to Nebraska.

I've got a pair of insulated pack boots that are rated for 120°F below, and if I'm not moving around my feet still get cold in the nasty weather.

If it's bad, you could see -30°F or worse on the thermometer. Disposable chemical heating packs are your best friend! I like the larger ones, that are supposed to run for 18 hrs. (about 6" square).

Oh, I live and die by the warmers. I like the toe warmers more. They're more versatile, smaller and shaped just right for all kinds of applications. I generally put two in each boot, one in each of my back jeans pockets and one in between my double layered gloves. I've been quite comfortable with this in nearly -20F weather. And that wasn't windchill.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/28/12 07:24 PM
1/2 pints of flavored Schnapps are quite popular in the Brainerd area for ice fishing purposes. Be sure to bring more than one halfer or they will laugh at you....
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/29/12 12:37 AM
1/2 pints of flavored Schnapps are quite popular in the Brainerd area for ice fishing purposes. Be sure to bring more than one halfer or they will laugh at you....

Had some bad experiences with the flavored Schnapps so I'll probably steer clear of the stuff while I'm up there. shocked

Got out for a short bit today and got into a few eater gills...

Posted By: Peepaw Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/29/12 02:39 AM
I'm with you on the schnapps Omaha, looks like THE place to be!!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/29/12 02:15 PM
I had a bad experience with Tequila when I was 14, yet somehow, last night, I found myself doing a shot. Don't know why.....
Posted By: JKB Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/29/12 02:33 PM
Maybe you thought, It was a long time ago, what the heck...

My bad experience with Johnny Walker Red, conditioned me pretty darn well sick
Posted By: Peepaw Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/29/12 02:39 PM
Looking for the worm?? Not good bait, use Stubby's instead.
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/31/12 02:02 PM
Got out on Bremer Pond yesterday. All my fishing buddies were either working, sick, or out of town so I went by myself. Variety pack of fish again, but no large NP. The Hamm's is especially tasty when you are all alone.

Are these both Bluegill?

Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/31/12 10:07 PM
I drink alone, yeah
With nobody else
I drink alone, yeah
With nobody else
You know when I drink alone
I prefer to be by myself

Every morning just before breakfast
I don't want no coffee or tea
Just me and good buddy Wiser
That's all I ever need
'Cause I drink alone, yeah
With nobody else
Yeah, you know when I drink alone
I prefer to be by myself

The other night I laid sleeping
And I woke from a terrible dream
So I caught up my pal Jack Daniel's
And his partner Jimmy Beam
And we drank alone, yeah
With nobody else
I prefer to be by myself

The other day I got invited to a party
But I stayed home instead
Just me and my pal Johnny Walker
And his brothers Black and Red
And we drank alone, yeah
With nobody else
I prefer to be by myself

My whole family done give up on me
And it makes me feel oh so bad
The only one who will hang out with me
Is my dear Old Grand-Dad
And we drink alone, yeah
With nobody else
I prefer to be by myself
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 01/31/12 10:53 PM
About one in ten BG caught is one of those bottom fish in the picture. They are squat and fat and feel different on the end of the fishing rod. Is that a male/female deal or a whole different fish?
Posted By: Bing Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/01/12 12:21 AM
Green Sunfish?
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/01/12 01:05 AM
Dwight thought maybe it was also, but I don't think the mouth/jaw is big enough.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/01/12 01:26 AM
Looks like a Greenie to me.

George Thorogood and the Destroyers....... "I drink Alone"

Companion tune to "One bourbon, One scotch, and One beer"

And I don't even drink.
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/01/12 02:09 AM
I vote for GSF.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/01/12 02:14 AM
I say GSF too. The mouth appears bigger than the bluegill mouth.
Posted By: Allmadness Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/01/12 02:19 AM
Stick, to me the top one is a BG and the bottom one is a GSF.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/01/12 02:42 AM
GSF is my guess due to gape and yellow border on fins
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/01/12 03:11 AM
My guess is they were all delicious.
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/01/12 06:32 AM
Mmmmmmmm........ Perch eggs!!
Posted By: deadwood Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/01/12 02:00 PM
A perch is such a beautiful fish.
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/01/12 10:41 PM
Yes they are. I wish their average size was about twice as big as the one pictured above. That would be a good fight and nice fillet.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/11/12 04:48 PM
Steve and the stick were out fishing late-day and evening in the below zero windy weather. These are cold fish!!

Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/11/12 06:42 PM
Those are some flash frozen fish!!
Posted By: blair5002 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/11/12 07:32 PM
And my jealousy for Bremner pond builds!
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/11/12 07:33 PM
They are going to hit the hot oil at about 1600 hours on Sunday.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/12/12 01:13 AM
Those are some bomb crappie for a Northern pond!
Posted By: Peepaw Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/12/12 01:30 PM
Nice spread, our ice is shot!
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/12/12 03:04 PM
Yes, nice fish!!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/16/12 02:11 PM

Dwight, you weren't kidding. Couldn't avoid the schnapps of all flavors. This was merely a volunteer thing so we didn't fish, but we made the rounds and were given food and drink seemingly every time we turned around. At one point I was handed a brat. Took a couple bites and then the guy warns me that "there's something special in there". Sure enough, my mouth is on fire. My buddy turns to a group of guys enjoying drinks and says his buddy needs something to put out a fire. He pours something red into my shot glass and I throw it back. He turns the bottle over and it's something called Hot Damn 1000 or something like that. Super hot. Definitely made it worse! All this before the gun went off at noon! So yeah, it was a crazy time. Basically just a huge tailgate party on the ice. I couldn't take very many pictures due to the need to keep my phone and hands warm, but here are a few...

Complete with street signs.

The winning walleye. Picture doesn't do it justice. It was a nice fish. Just a shade under 6.5 pounds. Won the guy a new truck.

Just a cute picture of a girl and her little brother.

Our crew afterwards.

They definitely do it the right way up there. Every demographic was represented and saw some very cool and innovative sleds and set ups.

Actual temp that morning was -6F. Windchill was probably approaching -20F, but the sun was shining and the wind died down by the afternoon.
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/16/12 02:19 PM
It sounds like you had a good time! Just think of the fish swimming around down there and seeing all those baits. Ice fishing up there is a serious pasttime.

If you want something to warm you up while out on the ice, I was given a bottle of clear stuff.

Smells like rubbing alcohol, just wet your lips and your whole mouth feels warm. A shot feels like you poured liquid fire down your throat, but as a mixer, it is great - especially in apple juice or something like that. Sunil or TJ would appreciate it, you wake up with a clear head the next morning.

I was told it's 190 proof.............
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/16/12 02:20 PM
Are you describing Everclear?
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/16/12 02:28 PM
No, this is home brew. IIRC Everclear is 180 proof.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/16/12 02:37 PM
Ah, some moonshine concoction. Everclear was 190 proof when we were buying it (on rare occasions!), but I think that potency is illegal in some states.
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/16/12 03:56 PM
I think I bought it once, a LONG time ago!
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/16/12 04:08 PM
It is available in South Dakota.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/16/12 04:10 PM
Oh, the 190 is available here in Nebraska too. Or at least was when I was more of the party type. Bad idea for jello shots that was...
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/16/12 04:26 PM
Tried 6 oz of frozen concentrated orange juice, 6 oz of everclear, fill blender with ice and buzz it for a while. Good, but more then one or two will give you the spins. Especially if you have a large glass.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/16/12 04:27 PM
Sounds dangerous stick! We did 50/50 jello shots years ago. Sneaks up on you in a bad way!
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/17/12 07:19 PM
Jeff and the stick were out ice fishing again yesterday. 17 YP, 14 BCP, 12 LMB, 2 BG, and the 30.5 inch 7 pound NP. The LMB and NP were C&R. 12 of the YP didn't fit on the photo board so they didn't get their picture taken.

Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/17/12 07:23 PM
I don't know what I'm more jealous of. The plump YP in that picture or the green shades in that picture.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/17/12 07:39 PM
I forgot to mention they were fishing in the new tree spot that a videoed last Saturday.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/17/12 09:20 PM
That is a pretty northern, too. Nice coloration.
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/17/12 11:24 PM
Those YP are getting ready to spawn!
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/18/12 02:01 PM
Those YP are getting ready to spawn!

According to the stick, the females of all species are full of eggs. There should be plenty of new forage when the water warms and all those eggs get fertilized.
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/21/12 05:08 PM
Have pinned down two spots in Bremer Pond where there is a very large NP living. Lots of long runs, fighting, and bite offs this year. The trick is to hook them with my 4 lb line in a spot where their nasty teeth aren't rubbing on the line, and keeping them out of the structure piles. I am still working on it.
Posted By: Peepaw Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/21/12 09:04 PM
February and early march here in the shallow backwaters we slam them, tons of fun and good to eat out of the still very cold water.
Posted By: Grundulis Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/22/12 07:03 AM
Have pinned down two spots in Bremer Pond where there is a very large NP living. Lots of long runs, fighting, and bite offs this year. The trick is to hook them with my 4 lb line in a spot where their nasty teeth aren't rubbing on the line, and keeping them out of the structure piles. I am still working on it.

Have you tried fluorocarbon fishing line?
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/22/12 02:58 PM
Yes I have. It is the challenge of the light line I like. I could go to heavy line and a quick strike rig and get one of those NP for a picture, but it would not be the same.
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/23/12 12:59 AM
What about a light weight braided (say 10#) 6"-10" leader then your 4# line?
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/23/12 02:50 AM
That could be worth a try. Certain instances I have seen the NP teeth go through braid too. We are going to get a blizzard here tomorrow and off and on over the weekend. I think it will be a while before I get back out.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/23/12 01:11 PM
Real Ice-Fishing Men will fish right through a wussie Blizzard.
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/23/12 01:13 PM
If you've got the shanty, then the blizzard shouldn't matter. It's when you are sitting on a bucket that it gets interesting!

Bring enough food, drink and fuel, get in there before it hits and leave after it's over with. Fish bite best before a storm anyway! wink
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/23/12 05:11 PM
You guys are nuts!
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/23/12 06:42 PM
In my younger days yes. Now as Sunil says, I am a wussie. Got to agree that the fish would be biting. Probably have to go outside the shack just to get a bait on.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/24/12 03:21 AM
stick, you're not a wussie! The Blizzard is the subject wussie.

Now, Dwight is a bit of a wussie.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/24/12 03:39 PM
stick, you're not a wussie! The Blizzard is the subject wussie.

Now, Dwight is a bit of a wussie.

Sort of like messin' with the Sasquatch. laugh
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/24/12 04:23 PM
Are you coming to PB-V?
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/24/12 06:57 PM
Are you coming to PB-V?

You better start working out...
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 02/24/12 07:00 PM
I'll take that as a 'yes!'
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 03/02/12 06:58 PM
Mike and the stick were ice fishing yesterday. These are the keepers:

They also caught the usual LMB that were released and a surprise SMB (5"). The SMB is assumed to be from last fall's stocking. If so it has been growing even in the winter as the stockers were all 3.5 inches or less.
Posted By: ewest Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 03/02/12 07:09 PM
smile -- grin -- cool

How about a Hamm's to go with the fish ?
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 03/03/12 03:44 PM
Hamm's beer has become the stick's "day beer" (Sunil terminology).

Hamm's, first brewed in Minnesota in 1865, is America's classic beer. Hamm's is brewed using the purest water and the choicest barley malt, grain and hops. The beer that is "Born in the Land of Sky Blue Waters" is available in select states and is now brewed by MillerCoors.

More Information

Nutritional Information:
4.70 percent alcohol by volume. 144 calories per 12-ounce serving.
Posted By: JamesBryan Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 03/03/12 08:41 PM
Classic Dwight! I rediscovered Hamm's about 3 years ago.

I would like to add to Dwight's analysis....

It's GOOD and tastes like Beer should. Not some watered down "keep the little woman happy" kind of beer.Nor is it brewed for playing volleyball at the beach.You can see that it is brewed with the outdoorsman in mind, hence the similarity of the pictures with the Land of 10,000 Lakes. Real men are not afraid to crack open an ice cold Hamm's.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 03/04/12 12:12 AM
Mike and the stick were ice fishing yesterday. These are the keepers:

They also caught the usual LMB that were released and a surprise SMB (5"). The SMB is assumed to be from last fall's stocking. If so it has been growing even in the winter as the stockers were all 3.5 inches or less.

Excellent news on the SMB find...escaped predation to this point let's hope he packs on the weight and gets to 12" ASAP!
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 03/04/12 04:15 PM
Suspended ice fishing efforts for the year. I don't know the totals on fish removed and eaten, but no 40"+ NP. Had one of those big ones on several times this season, but fished tighter to Dwight's structure units, so they either bit me off or tangled. Next year.

Dwight, Thanks for all the fun!!!
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 03/05/12 03:29 PM
Suspended ice fishing efforts for the year. I don't know the totals on fish removed and eaten, but no 40"+ NP. Had one of those big ones on several times this season, but fished tighter to Dwight's structure units, so they either bit me off or tangled. Next year.

Dwight, Thanks for all the fun!!!

Fun job well done! I kept track of the fish you kept based on your email and photo reports. GSf:9, YP:28, BG:36, BCP:79.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 03/05/12 03:33 PM
A valiant effort on culling the Black Crappie!
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 03/05/12 07:53 PM
A valiant effort on culling the Black Crappie!

I feel the jab. grin

A "cull" refers to a specimen that has been removed due to an imperfection. This is much the same as banishing a twerp from a group of more normal humans.

A valiant effort at reducing fish biomass providing increased headroom for the WE and SMB stocked in the fall.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 03/05/12 08:43 PM
Black crappies = fillets! Yum.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 03/06/12 01:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
Black crappies = fillets! Yum.

Yes, they are scrumptious! BCP, LMB, BG, YP, SMB, NP, and WE filleted and properly prepared are all excellent. I am going in for some now......
Posted By: the stick Re: Ice Fishing 2011 - 2012 - 09/30/12 01:28 AM
Hey Dwight, now that you have WE established as a front line predator, I was wondering if we should start keeping any NP caught to utilize them before they die of old age and become carp food? I could rig for them with an ice fishing set-up so that even if they head for the structure piles I would have a better than average chance of getting them up on the ice. You know what I have in mind when I say "utilize" them.
© Pond Boss Forum