Pond Boss
Posted By: esshup HSB RW chart - 10/27/11 05:28 PM
I looked in the archives, and didn't see one for HSB. Does anybody know of a place where it can be found, or even a chart that says say a 6", HSB should be "X" weight? Ideally, I'd like to find out the weight of fish of all sizes.
Posted By: george1 Re: HSB RW chart - 10/27/11 06:11 PM
Scott, a 6 inch HSB in October will have a serious relative RW differntial than a 6 inch HSB in late winter/early spring that was held over in a racway all winter.

I know you can tell a skinny fish from a fat one ...
grin grin grin

Fat HSB

Skinny HSB

Posted By: ewest Re: HSB RW chart - 10/27/11 06:59 PM
George why was one skinny and one fat ?

I will check on RW info.
Posted By: george1 Re: HSB RW chart - 10/27/11 07:48 PM
Caught the skinny HSB after we thought had removed all HSB from "grow-out" pond to main pond and had quit feeding.
Moral to story - HSB get fat on AQMX 600 ...
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: HSB RW chart - 10/27/11 08:58 PM
This is not for relative weights of the fish but it will provide Standard Weights of many sport fish. You can download it from the Inspired By Nature website. Program was created by a friend when he worked at IBN as their fishery biologist. He used the info from Dr. Willis' Fishery Techniques book to help create this handy program.
http://www.ibnature.com
on this page: http://ibnature.com/pond_maintenance_products.htm
Under Fisheries Management Services, look for "Our Fish Calculator"

Hybrid Striped Bass (HSB) Standard Weight
6"=0.1 lb, 8"= 0.24 lb, 10" 0.49 lb, 12"= 0.87 lb, 14"= 1.41 lb, 16"= 2.15 lb

This post was also placed in the Common Pond Q&A Archives under the topic of Relative Weight Charts.
Posted By: george1 Re: HSB RW chart - 10/27/11 09:27 PM
Bill, this is the weight/length IBN Fish Caculator I have used for years and I find it quite accurate.

Posted By: esshup Re: HSB RW chart - 10/27/11 09:57 PM
Thanks Bill! (and George)
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: HSB RW chart - 10/28/11 12:28 AM
Where ya been George? Hadn't seen you on here in a while... Figures talk of HSB would bring you out of hiding!
Posted By: JamesBryan Re: HSB RW chart - 10/28/11 12:40 AM
Hey George, what do ya reckon that top beauty weighed? And the bottom one? Any guesstimate how old these fellas were?
Posted By: george1 Re: HSB RW chart - 10/28/11 11:29 AM
Guessing about 4 & 5 lbs and three years old ...
I measure and weigh each and every HSB I photgraph and can go back to records if need be but don't want to.
I supplemental stock each year so hard to know exact age - Eric can tell you age and growth rates since he has stocked HSB only once and is better at keeping records than I. ... grin
Posted By: george1 Re: HSB RW chart - 10/28/11 12:03 PM
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Where ya been George? Hadn't seen you on here in a while... Figures talk of HSB would bring you out of hiding!

Travis you really don’t want to know … grin ,,, really appreciate your asking!
Been hiding out in my recliner on a BlueBell diet trying to regain 20 lbs of muscle loss after two years of chemo, radiation, two major surgeries with massive infections, total of 16 days in hospital with phone calls and visits from most special PB friends ever, telling me “don’t give up – don’t give up –don’t give up – so I didn’t have any options other than to move forward. Record number of endless Texas 100+ days w/o rain kept me housebound this summer.

Clean CT scan last month – no cancer!!!!!
My doc told me that knowing what a 85+ year old was going through, he had serious doubts I would make it - I fooled him and now his favorite patient!!!!

A lesson for you youngsters – get in shape and stay in shape if you want to survive old age – it’s not for sissies as Art Linkletter once said.

I had to decide to move on or give up my favorite fishin’ hole and I’m not much inclined to run … so now have upgraded my aeration system to survive further Texas droughts and heat waves and done supplemental HSB and LMB stocking – I’m moving on even if having to use a stick to keep from falling in the ponds…

Gonna go to deer camp next week tho and then back to flinging flies at my favorite pond fish – y’all know – HSB rule – makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck and want to throw rocks at LMB …

Thanks to all of my PB friends that have provided support and prayers.
Couldn’t have made it without you!
George

Posted By: Omaha Re: HSB RW chart - 10/28/11 01:02 PM
Originally Posted By: george1
Clean CT scan last month – no cancer!!!!!
My doc told me that knowing what a 85+ year old was going through, he had serious doubts I would make it - I fooled him and now his favorite patient!!!!

That is just great to hear.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: HSB RW chart - 10/28/11 01:52 PM
George - Keep up the good efforts.
Posted By: esshup Re: HSB RW chart - 10/28/11 02:00 PM
George, I appreciate you taking the time to see me 2 years ago, and again last year. I knew you'd pull thru, but I also knew that it'd be a fight.

Now that the weather has cooled off (a bit for you - it was 30°F here this a.m.) go and show us more fish pictures!
Posted By: ewest Re: HSB RW chart - 10/28/11 02:40 PM
George there never has nor ever will be any quit in you.

I really don't have many records on the HSB. It is one species I try to leave alone. Put them in , grow them out and let the kids catch them and yell as the rod bends. We have 4 yr old HSB that are 8+ lbs. At 2 years they were 3-4 lbs.
Posted By: george1 Re: HSB RW chart - 10/28/11 03:03 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
We have 4 yr old HSB that are 8+ lbs. At 2 years they were 3-4 lbs.

Thanks Eric, that's my experience as well but guesswork since supplement stock a few each year.
Don't be shy about CPR tho - they don't become hook shy as LMB.
Posted By: ewest Re: HSB RW chart - 10/28/11 07:29 PM
Not shy about fishing for them or keeping them alive. A number have been caught and the rest are nearing their life expectancy. Will add more @10-12 inches soon.
Posted By: george1 Re: HSB RW chart - 10/28/11 07:47 PM
You have grown some beauts!!!!!
Annual stocking "ladder" really works well to have a new crop maturing each year.
Posted By: esshup Re: HSB RW chart - 10/28/11 08:13 PM
George, I'm putting 50 in the pond this Fall @ 11" or so.
Posted By: george1 Re: HSB RW chart - 10/28/11 09:02 PM
Scott, I see some FANTASTIC HSB on the fly in your future!
Hang on for some knuckle busters ... cool
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: HSB RW chart - 10/28/11 09:45 PM
Glad to hear the clean CT scan. Keep up the fight George. My grandfather is 87 now and has so many things wrong with him he can't count all his ailments on 2 hands, but he's fighting too. Glad you could come back and spend some time on here!
Posted By: george1 Re: HSB RW chart - 10/28/11 11:21 PM
Thanks Travis, give your GrandPop my best regards!
Posted By: esshup Re: HSB RW chart - 10/29/11 02:30 AM
George, it'll be interesting to see how fast they'll grow. I will be feeding the RBT all winter long, I don't know if the HSB will be taking advantage of any of the pellets.
Posted By: ewest Re: HSB RW chart - 10/29/11 03:00 AM
HSB will actively eat down to about 45 F +-.
Posted By: esshup Re: HSB RW chart - 10/29/11 04:08 AM
It's in the low 50's now.......
Posted By: george1 Re: HSB RW chart - 10/29/11 11:04 AM
HSB will actively eat down to about 45 F +-.

Originally Posted By: esshup
It's in the low 50's now.......

Scott, Eric is correct "active eating down to about 45F +-" .... BUT highly dependent whether the water temp is rising or falling.
They will slow down and stop feeding on falling temps and begin feeding on rising temps.

Don't depend on surface activity alone to determine feeding activity - feed them a Stubby and see if they like it - Cecil's PH pellet fly usually works best for me in cold water.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=272771&#Post272771
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: HSB RW chart - 10/29/11 01:31 PM
George,
You are an amazing man!
Posted By: george1 Re: HSB RW chart - 10/29/11 02:49 PM
Bob my friend, you one of several amazing men. Stting directly across from me in my home more than once giving support and "don't quit" advise. Scott drove twice from Indiana to visit. Todd numerous trips and calls from Buffalo and calls and PMs from others to manay to mention lest I leave someone out.
My PB friends are something else!!!

George
Posted By: george1 Re: HSB RW chart - 10/29/11 06:14 PM
George why was one skinny and one fat ?

Originally Posted By: george1
Caught the skinny HSB after we thought had removed all HSB from "grow-out" pond to main pond and had quit feeding.

Eric, my curiosity got the best of me and I had to check my records.
The skinny HSB was caught 09-05-08 and the fat HSB caught 03-05-09 with no feeder.
Maybe old age would be best guess.

This little un-aerated <1/4 acre pond has produced some fantastic HSB with no feeder - only occasional hand feeding. Haven’t fished it since early summer but an explosion on a LM pellet recently indicates HSB have survived a record setting Texas heat wave and drought.
Posted By: ewest Re: HSB RW chart - 10/30/11 12:22 AM
My HSB are going crazy on LMB pellets right now.
Posted By: bowjo Re: HSB RW chart - 11/02/11 11:55 PM
I stocked a 1/4 acre pond with 5"HSB last year.As of now those fish are 1 1/2-2#.I think this is a good growth rate.I am thinking that if they continue this type of growth,I will have to remove some next spring.....Joe
© Pond Boss Forum