Pond Boss
Posted By: FireIsHot Rye VS Wheat - 09/19/11 01:01 PM
I've just had some dirt work done on my lake. It is low right now like everybody else's is in North TX. I'm spreading rye to try to keep the clay in place until the grass spreads to the banks.

My question is, has anybody tried clovers or wheat as an option or addition to the rye grass? If not, are there any other better options?

Also, just as an fyi, I have gotten erosion control products at GeoTex Supply in Dallas before. I have no dog in this hunt, but they were a pleasure to deal with if anybody needs any matting, barriers, etc, you may want to look them up.

Thanks, Al
Posted By: Sniper Re: Rye VS Wheat - 09/19/11 01:34 PM
Are you able to water it?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Rye VS Wheat - 09/19/11 01:43 PM
Not easily. I have a pair of trash pumps that I use to water the Bermuda on the dam, but I don't live at the lake. It would be difficult to water it more than once a week.
Posted By: Sniper Re: Rye VS Wheat - 09/19/11 02:01 PM
Gotcha.

I would go with whatever has the best chance of germinating. I am guessing it is the rye. With the weather so iffy, getting creative is very difficult. Us pondmeisters have a way of outhinking ourselves!

Best of luck. Dirt work is a chore and a half.
Posted By: lassig Re: Rye VS Wheat - 09/19/11 03:47 PM
spread oats at 50 lbs an acre as a cover crop. First good frost will kill it but by them the grass should of taking hold. Assuming you get some water. We been dry also but no where near your level.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Rye VS Wheat - 09/19/11 04:20 PM
Over thinking I am. It just almost feels like restarting the whole lake project with the all the options I have right now.

The bass population has stayed strong, even though they're screaming for rain. If I had of worked at the lake instead of working at the deer lease yesterday, I would have caught the 2" we got last night. Oh well.

I'll hit Pott's feed store tomorrow, and see what's growing right now.

Thanks guys.
Posted By: Cisco Re: Rye VS Wheat - 09/19/11 04:49 PM
I mixed wheat and oats 2 years ago when I renovated my pond. The wheat will take hold fast and grow the longest. The rye will take hold quicker but won't last long.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Rye VS Wheat - 09/19/11 05:28 PM
Is your sole purpose just to stabilize the soil around your pond, or do you have other intended uses for the planting?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Rye VS Wheat - 09/19/11 05:35 PM
Just soil. I occasionally get a tremendous amount of runoff, and don't want to lose what I just gained.

The weather has just been so iffy here. 100 degrees, followed by 85. Nights range from 80's to high 60's. Just been a weird 12 months here in TX. If the rain/weather was more stable, I could handle it better.

Just throwing preemptive darts at a potential problem.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Rye VS Wheat - 09/19/11 10:57 PM
I would stick with rye. It really is the most tolerant of all conditions and will do exactly what you are wanting it to.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Rye VS Wheat - 09/20/11 10:31 AM
Thanks again guys for all the advice. Heading down today to get started.

I decided to use my erosion mats with a Rye/Oats mix. Worse case scenario, is that both the deer and the dam are happy.
© Pond Boss Forum