Pond Boss
Posted By: DaveHaze What to plant in pond to attract ducks? - 09/16/11 12:05 PM
Hi, I just moved to Northwest Colorado and have a small pond that some ducks are using and would like to plant stuff, preferably perrenials, in or around the pond to keep them there. I have read that duckweed, pondweed, smartweed, chufa,jap millet etc. are good but I don't know if they will grow well in this part of Colorado and I am having a difficult time finding a place that sells them. If anyone has suggestions they would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: What to plant in pond to attract ducks? - 09/16/11 12:28 PM
I would call Mike Mitchell, of Queen of the River Consulting in Longmont. He's been a private consulting biologist in Colorado for about 30 years and can be a good contact for you.
(303) 589-2178
mike@qorconsult.com
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: What to plant in pond to attract ducks? - 09/16/11 07:33 PM
How big is your pond and are you able to manipulate the water level of it?
Posted By: DaveHaze Re: What to plant in pond to attract ducks? - 09/16/11 08:05 PM
It is a small pond about 3500 sq feet. I cant manipulate the water level. The ducks use it a lot and it does have some sort of vegetation in it that the ducks eat but I'm not sure what it is.
Posted By: Brettski Re: What to plant in pond to attract ducks? - 09/16/11 08:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
I would call Mike Mitchell, of Queen of the River Consulting in Longmont. He's been a private consulting biologist in Colorado for about 30 years and can be a good contact for you.
(303) 589-2178
mike@qorconsult.com

please share whatcha learn
Posted By: esshup Re: What to plant in pond to attract ducks? - 09/16/11 09:02 PM
I recently found a BOW that has some wild celery growing in it. I borrowed a few plants to see how they'd grow in my area..... wink

I was suprised that they were growing so deep in the lake bottom. In nid-calf deep water, the crown of the roots was a good 7" into the lake bottom.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: What to plant in pond to attract ducks? - 09/16/11 09:05 PM
Are you wanting to hunt the ducks or is this just for viewing pleasure?
Posted By: DaveHaze Re: What to plant in pond to attract ducks? - 09/17/11 11:05 AM
Both hunting and viewing....but I think once the shooting starts they will leave for other ponds nearby.
Posted By: DaveHaze Re: What to plant in pond to attract ducks? - 09/17/11 08:25 PM
Mike Mitchell recommended smartweed and sago pondweed. I will get them planted next year.
Posted By: Sniper Re: What to plant in pond to attract ducks? - 09/17/11 11:02 PM
Definitely smartweed. Mitchell should know!
Posted By: Ryan B Re: What to plant in pond to attract ducks? - 09/23/11 06:48 PM
I have heard alot about Chufa in the last few years for ducks. It was originally a major turkey food plot seed but has become well known for duck hunting also. I have included the following link, and from what I understand is duck hunters have good luck planting in the late spring in low water levels (area's where the pond has dried up) and then come fall when the water level rises, the plants become sumerged and the ducks go crazy!

www.tn.gov/twra/pdfs/chufa.pdf

Good luck...Ryan
Posted By: Brettski Re: What to plant in pond to attract ducks? - 09/23/11 07:07 PM
wonder if it drives muskrats crazy, too
Posted By: xiami Re: What to plant in pond to attract ducks? - 09/28/11 06:16 AM
Step 1:
Leave the grass tall around your pond. Refrain from trimming weeds growing near the edge of the water. Wild ducks will nest in the grasses to protect themselves and their young from predators and the environment.
Step 2:
Plant aquatic plants such as widgeon grass and wild celery in and around your pond. Wild ducks feed on many types of aquatic plants, so it is essential to have an abundant food source available to them. Widgeon grass is easy to grow and does well in most ponds, including those with brackish water.
Step 3:
Provide enough space for wild ducks to nest comfortably. While some ducks do not defend their territory, others are very defensive and will fight with other animals or leave to nest elsewhere. Do not place birdhouses and other animal habitats around your pond if you want to attract wild ducks.
© Pond Boss Forum