Pond Boss
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Question - 01/19/11 03:35 PM
Anyone else on here using an iPhone? My question is how come there is no "Question and Observations" section when your on an iPhone? Anyone know what's up with that?
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Question - 01/19/11 03:36 PM
When you go to forum list that is.. I can get to it by going in my stuff and finding past post then navigate back to it, but it's not on the list..
Posted By: Omaha Re: Question - 01/19/11 04:02 PM
Blackberry here and I can see it.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Question - 01/19/11 04:07 PM
It works fine on my Droid.
Posted By: Joshua Flowers Re: Question - 01/19/11 04:35 PM
I just opened mine up and worked fine.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Question - 01/19/11 04:36 PM
Nerds...
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Question - 01/19/11 05:07 PM
Well it definately ain't on mine..
Posted By: Omaha Re: Question - 01/19/11 05:08 PM
BGK, in case your iPhone doesn't let you see it, Sunil just called you a nerd.
Posted By: esshup Re: Question - 01/19/11 05:15 PM
iPhone? My cell phone dosen't even have a camera on it.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Question - 01/19/11 05:17 PM
What do you even use your "phone" for Scott?
Posted By: esshup Re: Question - 01/19/11 05:47 PM
I can text, but the predictive doesn't work. grin
Posted By: Sunil Re: Question - 01/19/11 05:56 PM
I called you all "nerds."
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Question - 01/19/11 06:17 PM
I knew he was calling us ALL nerds.. He's just jealous and light years behind us in technology smile
Posted By: Sunil Re: Question - 01/19/11 06:25 PM
You hit the nail on the head, BK!

I just got a blackberry about 3 months ago. I'm sure I'm using like, 5% of it's capabilities.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Question - 01/19/11 06:47 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
I can text, but the predictive doesn't work. grin

I never use the predictive thing anyway. Doesn't pick up on my slang. And I know your text works...just takes 48 hours for a response to come back. laugh

Originally Posted By: Sunil
I called you all "nerds."

Damn. cry
Posted By: esshup Re: Question - 01/19/11 07:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Omaha
I never use the predictive thing anyway. Doesn't pick up on my slang. And I know your text works...just takes 48 hours for a response to come back. laugh

That's what happens when you use a carrier pigeon. I'm going to have to switch phones soon, AT&T bought Centennial and they are switching over the equipment. Not many choices in this area. AT&T, Verizon or Sprint. Verizon is terrible here, I don't know which one of the remaining 2 would be better. I have terrible signal strength here at the house, I can drop a call and not even move.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Question - 01/19/11 07:56 PM
We use Verizon and like it. Let me know when you get a new fancy phone so I can text you all the time!
Posted By: Dwight Re: Question - 01/19/11 10:33 PM
I use my HTC Touch Pro 2 as a 3G wireless internet connection for my Net-book. I also use it a lot for texting. Sometimes I have to use it as a phone, but I don't like talking to people all that much. grin
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Question - 01/19/11 11:35 PM
----UPDATE---

Figured it out.. Serious feeling of dumbassness now..
The problem was the little arrow to the right of the INTRO column was collapsed leaving out the whole intro section..

I know im an idiot.. Thank you thank you..
Posted By: catmandoo Qs - 01/20/11 12:39 AM
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
----UPDATE---

Figured it out.. Serious feeling of dumbassness now.

Don't put yourself down. I get paid to work with thinkers of the future regarding electronic hardware, software, firmware, and what we call "human interfaces."

I feel fortunate that we can attract and hire the smartest people in the world. I get to work with PhDs in their 20s, to old fogies like me with relatively little education compared to the younger set, who come out of the top universities in the country. But us old "gray beards" have been bitten by so many problems over the decades, they think we are wise. To these young people, with 4-digit IQs, they think everybody should be able to think like them. Their eyesight allows them to see what anybody over 40 needs a microscope to see.

They drive way too much technology -- they figure I kill way too much technology.

Every time I upgrade my telephone, or whatever it is now called, I hate it more.

My current "phone" has so many features, it outsmarts me several times a day. I hate the damn thing. All I want to do is make and answer calls -- although I do like the text messaging. If you call me on it, and I don't answer, it is because it is so incredibly difficult to activate for an incoming call if it is deep within some other menu!

I guess this is why I like my pond, fishing, hunting and food preparation. The fishing equipment I use today is only moderately different than what I used 50 years ago -- sure we've got fancy electronics, but we can "upgrade" without going overboard. My 50 year old Rapala fillet knives are exactly the same as the ones they sell today. A #4 bait hook is still a #4 bait hook. A 30-30 cartridge is still a 30-30 cartridge. A 12-gauge shell is still a 12-gauge shell. My old cast iron pots and pans, over gas burners, are still valued by high-end chefs.

My current phone in not housed in an oak box, it doesn't have a crank on the side, and I don't get to talk to wonderful people like Mrs. Swanson or Mrs. Lahti when I want to place a call, or when I need assistance of nearly any kind.

The Old Curmudgeon,
Ken

Posted By: Sunil Re: Qs - 01/20/11 12:55 AM
"That's when a smoke was a smoke, and groovin' was groovin'."

-JCM
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Qs - 01/20/11 12:59 AM

-JCM

laugh
Posted By: Buzzworth Re: Qs - 01/20/11 01:05 AM
I got a smartphone upgrade for Christmas and so far, it has gotten the better of me. First time it rang, I thought it was the movie we were watching. :-(
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Qs - 01/20/11 01:24 AM
And a screw was a screw.. Good Song Sunil..
Posted By: esshup Re: Qs - 01/20/11 01:44 AM
Ken, when I upgrade I'll have a non-camera, no bells and whistles, non flip Nokia for ya.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Qs - 01/20/11 01:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Todd3138

-JCM

laugh

I may be old, but JCM is only about three years younger than me. He had it right with these lyrics.

I wonder if he has an i-phone -- and if he knows how to use all the features.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Qs - 01/20/11 01:51 AM
Ken, when I upgrade I'll have a non-camera, no bells and whistles, non flip Nokia for ya.

We are not supposed to be able to bring phones into work with cameras or recorders. Our big company had to capitulate. We need wireless phones, and we need them at our desks. But, virtually no phones exist today without all these features.

Maybe a Cricket -- but those are for really old people! blush
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Qs - 01/20/11 03:28 AM
Catman, I've always liked your posts but this one ranks. I don't think the world will ever be as simple as it used to be and I actually pity my grandkids. Perhaps someday common sense will once again be common.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Qs - 01/20/11 10:15 AM
Ken, the last time I had to buy a new cell phone I had to explain to the nice lady that I only wanted one that would receive and make phone calls. It has a camera that I've never used and probably won't use. I don't text or tweet. I have a new digital camera that I never take with me.

My Dad worked for Bell Helicopter. Obviously, that was a long time ago. They had two types of Engineers; Professional and Practical. The Professional Engineers were degreed and the Practical ones generally weren't. Anytime the Pro types came up with a new idea, they had to run it by the old guys to get their blessing. The objective was to find out if it had been tried before and what happened in the past. Quite often the new idea had to be modified or even scrapped. Helicopters used to be pretty notorious for falling to earth. They shook a lot and that ain't real good when you're upstairs.

I'm not knocking Education or new ideas. I have a whole lot more formal education than I have ever used or can remember. Want to know how to buy and sell Countries or Continents? I took a couple of classes in that and made A's. I've never even bought or sold a town. However, at the time, it seemed like a good idea to know that stuff.

One of my Grandaughters once asked me about fighting Indians. My Mother laughed and said that I got a lot of knots on my head from that and beer was usually involved. Heck, they lived on a neighboring farm and we were pretty good friends.

Yeah, I'm getting old. I have no use for a laptop with a keyboard that has been micro sized. Even with my bifocals on, I fat finger the keys. I just gave a Grandson my laptop and, for some reason, my Wife says I have to buy another one. I probably will.

I got into programming computers in the 60's. It had 4K of memory and took up a pretty good chunk of a room. We had no idea that technology would progress to where it is today and most of it is good. However, a lot of it is marketing driven so we can do things that we didn't know we wanted to do.
Posted By: esshup Re: Qs - 01/20/11 05:35 PM
DD1, so you remember punch cards for computers? grin
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Qs - 01/20/11 05:39 PM

Are you kidding? DD1 used an abacus until he was 40!
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Qs - 01/20/11 05:53 PM
Lol
Posted By: Bing Re: Qs - 01/20/11 06:18 PM
The first DP course I ever took (1964) was at Washington University in St. Louis. It was called "Principles of Punched Card Data Processing". I've been confused ever since.

Bing
Posted By: JKB Re: Qs - 01/20/11 07:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello

Are you kidding? DD1 used an abacus until he was 40!

At least He was accurate!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Qs - 01/20/11 08:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Bing
The first DP course I ever took (1964) was at Washington University in St. Louis. It was called "Principles of Punched Card Data Processing". I've been confused ever since.

Bing

Sounds like a course that Florida voters should have been required to take back in the days of the hanging and dimpled chad!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Qs - 01/21/11 11:21 AM
Scott, that was the Hollerith coding system. Yep, I still know it. Actually, I guess I was one of the early computer pioneers. I've written operating systems and compilers but they sure didn't work very well. They used to call us mad scientists and we really weren't trusted that much.

A lot of things, actually most things, really are better. CNC machines have created tolerances that were unimagined "back in the day". Somewhere around here I have a reloading manual from the 50's. The Author, Elmer Keith I believe, said that is was impossible for manufacturing to create cartridge brass with close concentricity. That's no longer much of a problem and most things really do fit better.

Medicine has advanced a lot. Bing and I are polio survivors but most victims, mostly children, didn't make it. Now, it and a lot more viruses have been just about eliminated. We live longer and better now. At 68, I enjoy health that was unimagined in my Grandparents time.

I remember my Grandfather building the outhouse and how happy we were. I prefer the world of indoor plumbing and really like the idea of flush toilets. I like air conditioning too.

No way I want to go back to the "good old days". However, I still like the idea of a handshake in lieu of a contract.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Qs - 01/21/11 01:19 PM
Word, Guvnor. Word.
Posted By: findfoolfight Re: Qs - 01/25/11 05:57 PM
I miss dimming my headlights with my left toe!!!
Posted By: JKB Re: Qs - 01/25/11 08:55 PM
"No way I want to go back to the "good old days". However, I still like the idea of a handshake in lieu of a contract."

Don't get any better than that DD1. True honor and integrity exist at that moment, if you are looking each other straight in the eye. Something you could be at peace with!

The drawback is, that Todd would have to start chasing ambulances grin
Posted By: Cisco Re: Qs - 01/25/11 09:14 PM
Integrity is the only thing a man ever really owns.
Posted By: findfoolfight Re: Qs - 01/25/11 11:34 PM
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin" Gregg Allman 1970
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Qs - 01/26/11 12:02 AM
Originally Posted By: JKB
The drawback is, that Todd would have to start chasing ambulances grin

Heck, I already do a little bit of that! And sometimes I even catch 'em! grin
© Pond Boss Forum