Pond Boss
Posted By: george1 Fishin' 2011 - 12/28/10 07:17 PM
OK, let's continue the tradition.
It looks like Nate has the lead for last fish caught in 2010 and a good shot at first fish in 2011!
You ponders aren't going to let him get by with that are "ya???
grin
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2011 - 12/28/10 08:48 PM
Heck NO!!!!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2011 - 12/29/10 12:56 AM
Its a race to post the first fish caught in 2011. The winner gets a free pond boss mug signed by Mr. Lusk. Also we should vote on the best pic of each month and maybe we could get the monthly winners printed in the mag?
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Fishin' 2011 - 12/29/10 01:18 AM
That's a good idea Nate.

I have a state record SMB to catch next year. Shouldn't be to hard since there is no record right now. grin
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2011 - 12/29/10 06:41 AM
Who's going catfishing New Years Eve? grin

With the rain and warm temps that they are calling for, I don't know if the ice will be safe or not.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Fishin' 2011 - 12/29/10 12:49 PM
Originally Posted By: n8ly
Its a race to post the first fish caught in 2011. The winner gets a free pond boss mug signed by Mr. Lusk. Also we should vote on the best pic of each month and maybe we could get the monthly winners printed in the mag?

I like this idea.. Although we will prolly be seeing alot more of you Now n8ly lol smile

We could just name it N8ly monthly fish
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2011 - 12/29/10 01:15 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup

With the rain and warm temps that they are calling for, I don't know if the ice will be safe or not.

I was supposed to fish a little tourney the morning of the 31st, but we had above freezing temps yesterday, supposed to be 40s today, possibly 50s tomorrow. And with open water still on most lakes, it doesn't look like getting on the ice would be a good idea. Event postponed. frown
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2011 - 12/29/10 03:11 PM
Nate thats a great idea! The race is on and I think having a pic each month would be great!
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 12/29/10 04:07 PM
Guys, you are getting it right - let's have some fun 2011!!!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 01/01/11 01:08 AM

No catfishing here. The bait would just be sitting on top of the too-thin-to-ice-fish ice and, besides, I don't have any catfish anyway! grin
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2011 - 01/01/11 03:42 AM
I lost all my ice today with the warm weather and rain. That pretty much puts me out for the first fish posted of 2011 contest, but I do have one heckuva finishing post for fishing 2010. Our best fishing day of the year just happened to be our last!
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2011 - 01/01/11 04:32 AM
It looks like you found the crappie!
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 01/01/11 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: james holt
Nate thats a great idea! The race is on and I think having a pic each month would be great!

Great ideas!!!!
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 01/01/11 12:21 PM
I lost all my ice today with the warm weather and rain. That pretty much puts me out for the first fish posted of 2011 contest, but I do have one heckuva finishing post for fishing 2010. Our best fishing day of the year just happened to be our last!

Nate aced everyone to the nth degree of Fishin’ 2010 – I began organizing 2010 pictures and had to give up when Nate’s pictures alone overloaded my computer!!!
How ‘bout this years fishin’ thread be limited to fish caught by PondBoss members and families on their own ponds?
Just a suggestion?
George
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2011 - 01/01/11 02:02 PM
George, this is your thread my man. I like your idea and think everyone else will as well. That will make the pic of the month much more intimate.

Hopefully someone is out fishing today and will post that first fish soon!
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 01/01/11 02:35 PM
George, this is your thread my man. I like your idea and think everyone else will as well. That will make the pic of the month much more intimate.

Hopefully someone is out fishing today and will post that first fish soon!

Thanks Nate - I knew you would understand but I want to see ALL your pictures and look forward to your adventures, so don't stop posting them!!!

Maybe another thread or "Show off your catch" topic.
Perhps the Fishin' 2011 thread needs to be there as well but it has become a PB "tradition".
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2011 - 01/01/11 04:41 PM
George:

Start another thread with the title of your choice. I think you have 2 very good ideas!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2011 - 01/03/11 02:34 AM
Nobody caught any fish so far???
Posted By: Bing Re: Fishin' 2011 - 01/03/11 02:40 AM
Nate--Hard to believe isn't it. We had ice out yesterday and I tried for Golden and Rainbow trout off of the dock but no luck.

Bing

Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2011 - 01/03/11 03:07 AM
I am stuck for a few days with about 1-2 inches of ice on most lakes and ponds in the area after all that rain and warm weather....

Bing, you definitely could be a sleeper on this one....I was figuring a texas boy was gonna win the signed mug!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2011 - 01/03/11 03:47 AM
I had the opportunity both yesterday morning and today, but the family had other things going on and I missed out. frown
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2011 - 01/03/11 05:15 AM
Tomorrow morning it is! Even tho the ice is very thin, I have a trick up my sleeve....... wink
Posted By: IJUSSWANNAFISH Re: Fishin' 2011 - 01/03/11 07:34 AM
A few crappie i caught out of the pond on 1/1/2011 in Ga. The pond 2 acres now one due to lack of rain in GA.

Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 01/03/11 11:49 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
We have a winner!
First personal pond fish pictures of 2011....!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2011 - 01/03/11 01:33 PM
Those are some massive crappies! PM me your address and eventually we will get that signed mug headed your way.
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2011 - 01/07/11 02:32 AM
A few of our first fish in 2011.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin' 2011 - 01/07/11 02:56 AM
There we go brotha!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2011 - 01/07/11 03:26 AM
Wow. Very nice!
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 01/07/11 12:07 PM
Way to go James!!!!
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 02/16/11 12:11 AM
Glazener Hybrids – HSB that is … Great first day on our pond since November 16, 2010.
Early air temp 61 degrees – near surface water 50.9 – high temp for the day 77 degrees!

Mrs. G was champ for the day – just a teeny bitsy Condello photo technique – not bad for a 5.5 HSB!

Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2011 - 02/16/11 12:23 AM
Very nice George! Love the first action shot of Mrs. G.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2011 - 02/16/11 12:28 AM
Great pictures, george!
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Fishin' 2011 - 02/16/11 12:40 AM
Hey George - I think your roomate is much better looking than you. Plus she can 'catch' some good ones. You are the prime example and a lucky man.
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2011 - 02/16/11 02:14 AM
James that is one chunk of a CNBG even if he is upside down.

George you know Mrs. G rules the fishing !!
Posted By: Bing Re: Fishin' 2011 - 02/16/11 02:28 AM
Quote from Bill Cody: "Plus she can 'catch' some good ones".

She caught a good one when she "Caught" George.
Posted By: overtonfisheries Re: Fishin' 2011 - 02/16/11 07:11 AM
Nice Job, George and Nicky! She out-fish you again, George?
Posted By: findfoolfight Re: Fishin' 2011 - 02/16/11 09:45 AM
Agreed...1st pic fav...got to love a fish that gets on the reel without any help....and Mrs. G's flyfishing skills notwithstanding, its the pink shoes that seal the deal!! Works for me everytime.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2011 - 02/16/11 02:05 PM
Great pics! I think the water will open up here in a month or so.
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 02/17/11 05:08 PM
Thanks guys - yep, Mrs. G is the best angler and no doubt the best looking! smile
Jeff saved our trip by landing fish for us - low water steep clay banks - I only fell down one time - gotta watch my step!!!
cry
Posted By: george1 Landing net tip - 02/17/11 05:22 PM
Originally Posted By: george1
Originally Posted By: ewest
Nice fish George - both the one in the pic and the one in your head. It does not matter what others think - the truth always sets you free. You and Mrs. G know what happened and that is what counts.
I really felt bad about losing her fish and still do.
It's double tough thinking about it but I am facing reality that I can't continue to do things I have taken for granted for so long.
Water level is down about three feet and slick banks after a rain are not for the faint of heart!
Positive note - lots of fat fish!

Thanks to all for continuing support!

Short handle landing net plus golf ball telescopic retriever.
Keeps the angler off steep clay banks and nets fish caught in unreachable water vegetation.

Cut off last golf ball retriever “basket” section and insert into aluminum handle – “Gorilla Tape and good to go.
Should keep me out of the pond!

Posted By: esshup Re: Landing net tip - 02/17/11 05:24 PM
It'll make the net a bit heavier, but can you replace the netting with the rubberized snagless netting?

I hope to get out this weekend and enjoy the weahter. Gonna be hard to top James, George, Mrs.G and Todd- great catches.
Pond thawed today. I picked up bait tonight and will have pics tomorrow. Also tested both my feeders they both worked good (empty).
Still have between 6" and 9" of ice on the pond.
Still have between 6" and 9" of ice on the pond.

My HBG pond opened completely today. I will probably fish it over the weekend. The other four ponds are still locked up, although not for long at these temps... 65 degrees yesterday and today...
The ice went out two days ago. I got my first fish of 2011 this afternoon. A big golden trout grabbed a full night crawler draped on a #4 bait-hook hanging about 3-feet below a tiny bobber on my ultralight rig.

I already had the smoker going with a new batch of venison pastrami, so I thought it would be nice and easy to have smoked trout as an appetizer with dinner.

I must be getting really soft in my old age. The fish was gently hooked in the upper lip. It was big and healthy. It was incredibly beautiful.

Without touching anything more than the hook, I had it unhooked and back in the water as quickly as humanly possible.

(Rainman -- you may have done me in! The trout you brought me last fall are so beautiful and big, I'm not sure I'll have the heart to catch them out.) cry grin crazy
Those were some fat trout that Rainman brought.

Did you name the fish, Ken?
Cat, when you come to the Conference, I'll be happy to take you to the birthplace of your adopted trout children! It is less than an hour from Big Cedar...BTW You were stocked with Emmerson Strain Rainbows and the goldens are simply a genetic color variation that are raised from the original Rainbows.

I'm with you Ken, these were the prettiest, most brightly and intensly colored Golden trout I have ever seen!
The boys and I did manage to hit the ponds yesterday and today. No big Bluegill, but it was good to get out. Saturday, the water temp in the hybrid pond was 50 degrees at a depth of two feet, and there were a lot of fish in the shallows. Today, the temp dropped a few degrees and the fish were deeper. We were able to catch a few out of every lake, however the photos are all from the HBG pond. These fish were 3-4" when stocked in March of 2009.

Description: My two boys.. Gavin on the left, and Gage on the right..
Attached picture 100_0024.JPG

Description: The best we could do.. 9" and 11 ozs.
Attached picture 100_0034.JPG

Description: Average fish, but displaying some promising characteristics..
Attached picture 100_0036.JPG

Description: Same fish, I like the body shape and the smaller eye size.. I think this fish shows promise.
Attached picture 100_0037.JPG

Description: Looks like the extended ice cover didn't thin this one out too much.
Attached picture 100_0038.JPG
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Those were some fat trout that Rainman brought.

Did you name the fish, Ken?

No, I didn't name them. We have only two fish in the pond with names -- the big orange-and-black Koi is named "Koi George."

The silly bass that has spent the last three or four summers under the dock is named "Daily" because we catch him almost daily! He was about 10-11 inches, and very skinny when we first started catching him.

Last season I was very tempted, quite a few times, to invite "Daily" in for dinner, but I just can't do it. I think my granddaughter would completely disown me if he were to become dinner. He is now about 18 inches, and looks a lot like John Goodman, but just a little more green.

Growing up on a farm, my parents taught me not to name the animals. Heck, we didn't even name the cats.
Sprkplg, That 2nd pic at 9" and 11 ounces sure looks like a straight Greensunfish to me...as much as I despise the nasty critters. that's a trophy greenie!
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
The silly bass that has spent the last three or four summers under the dock is named "Daily" because we catch him almost daily!

That's hilarious! Glad to hear he's fattened up when he wasn't being pulled out of the water. laugh
You know how it is with HBG Rainman... You're taking your chances every time!!!

I think it's a hybrid, although the body shape is not as "blocky" as some others I have. It's not as slender as the pure greenies I've seen, and the markings aren't as distinctly GSF either. Still, you never know...

here's a couple more pics of the same fish.

Attached picture 100_0035.JPG
Attached picture 100_0031.JPG
Attached picture 100_0033.JPG
The straight down angle makes the hybrid traits come through much better...The first pic was deceiving withe the slight bottom to top angle making it look a lot shorter...It sure is a thick one and still a good lookin fish!
Finally caught a fish!

I've only been able to fish about 5 times in the last 3 months but the water has been cold and I've been getting blanked every time until today.

All caught on a t-rigged white zoom trick worm thrown near the banks where I could see them feeding. The first was about 2.5-3 pounds and the other two were under 2-pounds but they were all fat and healthy looking.

Yeehaaaaa! I'm fishin' again!
hybridstriper caught on an inline spinner bait 24 inches. It was enough to get me fired up to go again next week. The hybrids I caught were all very fat. The largemouth bass I caught seemed a bit thin.
Congrats on the state record. grin
So far Ive caught these.. Gills

Attached picture Fishing 2-20-11 006.jpg
Attached picture Fishing 2-20-11 005.jpg
Attached picture photo 5(1).JPG
BGK, what time is dinner tomorrow????
hybridstriper caught on an inline spinner bait 24 inches. It was enough to get me fired up to go again next week. The hybrids I caught were all very fat. The largemouth bass I caught seemed a bit thin.

Way to go James – you are the champ!!!
You beat the Texas state record Private Water Rod and Reel record by 2.5 lbs!!!
My chart says a 24-inch HSB should weigh 7.66 lbs!

CONGRATULATONS!

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/action/private.php?age_group=all&browse=Go
Way to go James!!! Nice Job. Where did you say you got those stripers?
I guess you would say they are the Overton Glazener strain.
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin 2011 CNBG - 02/22/11 04:23 PM
Son Jeff is killin' me!!!!
Spinner bait CNBG - tearing them up yesteday afternoon about this this size.

Fished again today, water temp has dropped to 46 degrees, it was a cooler week with a lot of rain. All ponds are full, for the first time in almost 8 months. Managed a few, here's a couple pics of the biggest one, slowly creeping up on my first one pounder.....

Description: nine inches and 12 ozs.
Attached picture 100_0047.JPG

Description: different view, same fish.
Attached picture 100_0045.JPG
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2011 - 03/13/11 03:32 AM
Caught some nice bass today. Donated a trip on the pond for charity and had a great day.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 03/13/11 03:36 AM
WOW! Those are some great looking fish! That last LMB must be ready to burst... I'd love to see the Wr on that thing!
Posted By: findfoolfight Re: Fishin' 2011 - 03/13/11 11:33 AM
W.World
O. Of
W.Weight
Does anyone know if fish can actually be morbidly obese like humans? I know there aren't any McDonalds down there and they eat mostly other fish..even the pellets are high protein, but I've cleaned fish with copious amounts of thick yellow fat( no not roe FAT). Do fish even have cholesteral? Does being cold blooded preclude heart disease? Does having a very high wr(bmi) index somehow shorten their lifespan? It seems to me that when a LMB gets to that double digit stage of life they really avoid any unnecessary excersize, while those lean and mean juvenile bass seem to delight in running around the bank all frisky and care-free like. Or is having a 150% wr a survival tool like a Polar Bear maybe? Are river fish healthier (longer-lived) than pond fish? Maybe I'm on to something here...maybe the next breakthrough in fish management!...something like a raceway that they have to stay in to eat the pellets or something? Maybe the tradeoff for only having wr's around 110-120's but living 10-20% longer would be worth it. Maybe I just got up too early this morning.
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
You know how it is with HBG Rainman... You're taking your chances every time!!!

I think it's a hybrid, although the body shape is not as "blocky" as some others I have. It's not as slender as the pure greenies I've seen, and the markings aren't as distinctly GSF either. Still, you never know...

here's a couple more pics of the same fish.

Those appear to be HBG to me, even though they are different from what mine look like. I think it is odd how different HBG can look especially when purchased from the same supplier.

I really hope to pack some weight on mine this year, may even put my feeder up in a week or two, even if I do not even turn it on for another month or so.

Although about a week ago I fed by hand and I had a few takers even in the cool weather.
Great fish James - love your photos!!!
Nice fish James!!!! I see you held up the big fat momma. laugh
thanks! It looked bigger when I caught it. The fish weighed 5.25 pounds but on the screen it looks like it weighes about three pounds.
Tried a Manns -1 in blue/silver today. Caught 2 LMB, one 14" and 2.1#, the other 19" and 3.9# (it sure looks like it weighs more than that!)

Nice bass Scott - a real fatty!
Pretty fish! Nice colors and really fat
I like the gold flor on it's back
Jeff and his little neighbor buddy went to the 1/4 acre pond Saturday to catch some CNBG for a fish fry. Rylan caught his first HSB and is now hooked for life!!

Way to go Rylan another pond boss is born! Caught this one Saturday.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishin 2011 - 04/10/11 12:50 PM
Finally was able to sneak away and do some fishing saturday afternoon! I apologize for the toplessness and hairy chest, the weather was just too perfect Saturday.

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fishin 2011 - 04/10/11 01:49 PM
Absolutely aweseome!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin 2011 - 04/10/11 02:38 PM
Love the family pics Nate!
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin 2011 - 04/10/11 05:45 PM
Way to go Nate!
Love pictures - beautiful fish!
cool
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Fishin 2011 - 04/10/11 08:03 PM
Looks like everyone had a great time,great pic's, where's our warm weather?
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin 2011 - 04/11/11 02:44 AM
25.5 inches
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin 2011 - 04/11/11 02:47 AM
23 inches
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin 2011 - 04/11/11 02:48 AM
Awesome.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fishin 2011 - 04/11/11 02:49 AM
Fantastic James.

Did you invite them in for dinner, or did they go back in to get even bigger?

So far, we are still so cold, I've not seen any sign of the HSB I put in my pond last fall.
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin 2011 - 04/11/11 02:52 AM
We had catfish for dinner they are reproducing like crazy!
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin 2011 - 04/11/11 10:48 AM
25.5 inches

James, that HSB is fantastic!!!!
My chart says 9.27 lbs but that fatty has to break 10 lbs!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS my friend!
HSB rule! whistle
cool cool cool
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin 2011 - 04/11/11 11:39 AM
thanks george
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Fishin 2011 - 04/11/11 12:23 PM
Amazing!
Posted By: overtonfisheries Re: Fishin 2011 - 04/12/11 03:00 PM
WOW! Nice Job James!

Raising the bar...
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin 2011 - 04/12/11 07:25 PM
James did you get a weight ?
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 04/14/11 10:33 PM
Mrs. G. was the champ today and she got to wear THE CAP!
Thanks Dr. Dave!
Wish we could join you guys this evening.
Lift a Shiner Bock my direction Sunil.
You guys be good... smile

SDSU cap and Mrs.G's $Gill fly ... grin

Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin 2011 - 04/18/11 10:18 PM
James I am catching up.

An update for George. Caught Sat by a friend of a cousin. Getting weight and length. At 10 mths this fish was 10-12 inches , at 20 mths 20 inchs +- and 3 lbs and now at 30 mths 7 lbs and appx 24 inches.

Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin 2011 - 04/18/11 11:39 PM
Congratulations Eric - LM nuggets diet!
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin 2011 - 04/19/11 02:22 AM
That and tshad plus AM 600. My guess is the improved growth rate is from the LMB pellets.
Posted By: george1 Mrs. G's Pond Grand Slam - 04/21/11 09:00 PM

Posted By: ewest Re: Mrs. G's Pond Grand Slam - 04/22/11 01:01 AM
Details ? Nice fish by the champ.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Mrs. G's Pond Grand Slam - 04/22/11 01:29 AM
Wow that BG is quite impressive. I would be curious as to it's weight.
I think I'm suffering from coppernose envy.

Oh yeah, the other two fish look real nice, too. That largemouth might go up on the wall in these parts.
Now that other one, I'm not so about it. What was it they call those??..... a hybri, a hybri, a hybri,....... some kind of bass?

just kiddin', very nicely done, Mrs.G
Posted By: george1 Re: Mrs. G's Pond Grand Slam - 04/22/11 11:46 AM
Originally Posted By: ewest
Details ? Nice fish by the champ.
Eric, yesterday was a landmark day!
One year ago to the day, I was laying in a hospital bed after major surgery and my docs unsure whether I was going to make it or not - they were wrong. Have my energy back and fished for over 3 hours w/o total exhaustion!

Mrs. G's LMB were feed trained and caught on StubbySteves.
HSB like wise.
Switched to trout worm fliies for CNBG

Great day - Life is good!
Posted By: ewest Re: Mrs. G's Pond Grand Slam - 04/22/11 02:12 PM
Way to go George! You bet life is good. Thanks for the report. BTW nice fish !
Posted By: george1 Re: Mrs. G's Pond Grand Slam - 04/26/11 10:59 PM

Really had a fantastic day on our pond today!
Thought if we caught the weather just right between these daily spring storms we could put the hurt on them – and that we did!
The good news is that the pond is up at least a foot but still about two feet low.

Almost a fish on every cast and about the same quality of fish as last week report but more feed trained LMB and HSB. I’m posting one CNBG picture because I thought it was a beautiful fish.

Tried a new white and yellow tube fly today in hope for a 11+ HSB but the LMB and HSB ate them up! Crazy but I fished a 4wt and a big HSB straightened out a #6 hook.
Fun part was when I thought I had a small BG on and suddenly the fish got big and heavy. I watched and carefully fought about a 5lb LMB back and forth – back and forth about ten feet off the bank and when I tried to land her she regurgitated a CNBG about the size of my hand!

Great day!

Posted By: ewest Re: Mrs. G's Pond Grand Slam - 04/27/11 01:22 AM
Nice fish George. Glad you had a great day. Was the LMB in good condition?
Posted By: george1 Re: Mrs. G's Pond Grand Slam - 04/27/11 11:08 AM
LMB were in good condition.
Couple of larger HSB were not as good shape weight wise - don't know except too much competition for feed.
2-3 pound HSB were footballs but two 4-5 pounders should have been 5-6 lbs. Did catch one ~6 lb HSB that was a fatty. Need to begin regular LM nugget feeding but no one available to hand feed on a daily basis..

Posted By: james holt Re: Mrs. G's Pond Grand Slam - 04/27/11 02:04 PM
George that is awesome! I like to read the stories and look at the pictures. We need more people posting.
Posted By: KingRace78 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 04/27/11 04:04 PM
Here are a couple of nice LMB caught by Lori, last week in our Pond!
Thanks John

Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 04/27/11 04:35 PM
Originally Posted By: KingRace78
Here are a couple of nice LMB caught by Lori, last week in our Pond!
Thanks John

Thanks for the pictures - love to see the ladies fishing - they'll outfish the guys everytime!
cool
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2011 - 04/27/11 08:12 PM
that is a beautiful pond and a very nice fish thanks for the pictures
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2011 - 04/27/11 08:33 PM
Once we lock into some better weather above the Mason Dixon line, we'll post some pictures!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fishin' 2011 - 05/01/11 07:16 PM
Once we lock into some better weather above the Mason Dixon line, we'll post some pictures!

Ain't that the truth! (Actually, I guess I'm below the line, but . . .) It feels like this rain could turn to snow this afternoon.

But, the trout are not discouraged. Sunil -- I believe your pond received the ones that were too big to fit in my cooler when Rex delivered these last fall. Yours should be real brutes. Here is what a winter and about a month of feeding had done to one of the skinny ones!

Posted By: Shorty Re: Fishin' 2011 - 05/02/11 02:04 PM
Here is a public lake bluegill management device since there are no fish in my pond yet. grin

She was so gravid that she leaked some eggs on the boat seat while I was handling here for this picture. I am pretty sure she was on a spawning bed.
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2011 - 05/02/11 02:17 PM
Nice fish ! Shorty and Cat.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2011 - 05/03/11 05:47 PM
Not as big as most seen on here, but I haven't gone after bass much so it gave me a nice fight. Something I hope to get better at.

Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 05/03/11 07:06 PM
Hey, that's a darn nice fish!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2011 - 05/03/11 08:19 PM
I got some of our new Canadian business partners out to my pond this past Sunday. Water temps were 58/59, and it was drizzling out. Bullheads and bluegill were hitting the feed. Saw some bigger fish as darker shapes in the water, but didn't catch anything big.

All in all, we culled about 20 or so nasty bullheads, and caught CC, BG, BC, and YP. We did see a 2-3lb. LMB.

Naturally, hanging out with Canandians, there was a lot of "No, yeah.." Yeah, no..." "Perfect..." "Eh..." "Right?..." going on.

Here, Joe has a smallish Yellow Perch, but Joe's about 6'3", so it's not too small:

Here, Gord has caught a Channel Cat which is the first CC I've personally ever seen caught at my pond (PB Member, Wivell, caught one once and sent me a picture):

Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 05/03/11 08:43 PM
Good to 'ya Sunil!!!
Nice fish ... cool
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2011 - 05/03/11 08:56 PM
All look healthy !
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 05/03/11 10:29 PM
Ah, I remember a glorious October day when we blew the production of these dudes out of the water! I fondly recall my first bass trifecta at Lake Ram and catching some serious hawgs with our most excellent host!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2011 - 05/03/11 11:50 PM
Lake Ram, huh? I like the sound of it!

We actually call it The Harmland although I'm not quite sure why.
Posted By: blair5002 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 05/03/11 11:58 PM
Glad you had a good time with the Canucks eh! Nice fish and bewdy pond
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fishin' 2011 - 05/04/11 12:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Omaha
Not as big as most seen on here . . .

Does anybody remember the 1989 movie "Pink Cadillac" when Bernadette Peters' character is confronted by a Las Vegas flasher in a rain coat, and she says: "Looks like a pen*s to me - only smaller".

Whatever, it is a nice looking fish.

Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2011 - 05/04/11 02:29 AM
very pretty pond
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 05/05/11 01:59 AM
Lake Ram, huh? I like the sound of it!

We actually call it The Harmland although I'm not quite sure why.

Nothing wrong with a subtitle!
Posted By: GeorgeS Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/05/11 11:38 PM
You're my hero!
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/07/11 12:56 PM
We fished Mikey's pond yesterday evening and caught every species in the pond except RES. Even 2 of the five GC:

Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/07/11 01:12 PM
Hey now... a HBG and a BG rooming together? How long have the fish been co-habitating, and how's it working out?

Is Mikey seeing a decrease in HBG numbers Yet?

Those two specimens look mighty fine....

Oh yeah, I suppose I should say the "other" fish look pretty good also!
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/07/11 01:56 PM
Yes, he's seeing a decrease in HBG numbers. I believe the pond was stocked in late 2008/early 2009. I think the HBG were supposed to be BG, he had a bad stocking experience or 2......

He wants large BG and HSB wtih plenty of small LMB to take care of the BG spawn. The LMB in the pond now are feed trained, after they spawn we'll catch and transfer to mine, and my non-feed trained LMB will replacing them. The HSB are a blast to catch. I caught 2 and lost 2 more.

Hopefully the pellet hooked GC will learn their lesson and not feed on pellets, but start targeting some of the plants. He'll have to do something about the algae in his pond, the Chara and FA are starting to grow pretty quick. Cattails too.

Some of the BG that are swimming around are VERY thick.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/07/11 02:12 PM
Great pics with the Stubby Steves!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/07/11 02:14 PM
Who's Mikey?
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/07/11 02:33 PM
Yes, he's seeing a decrease in HBG numbers. I believe the pond was stocked in late 2008/early 2009. I think the HBG were supposed to be BG, he had a bad stocking experience or 2......

He wants large BG and HSB wtih plenty of small LMB to take care of the BG spawn. The LMB in the pond now are feed trained, after they spawn we'll catch and transfer to mine, and my non-feed trained LMB will replacing them. The HSB are a blast to catch. I caught 2 and lost 2 more.

Hopefully the pellet hooked GC will learn their lesson and not feed on pellets, but start targeting some of the plants. He'll have to do something about the algae in his pond, the Chara and FA are starting to grow pretty quick. Cattails too.

Some of the BG that are swimming around are VERY thick.

Way to go Scott!!!
GC don't like pellets after they find out about the hook...!
HSB will pull the britches off those bass .. cool
Got all my stuff packed and ready to board the big bird early Monday morning ... but I ain't tellin' ... grin
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/07/11 05:56 PM
Who's Mikey?

FCM67693
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/07/11 06:00 PM
Way to go Scott!!!
Got all my stuff packed and ready to board the big bird early Monday morning ... but I ain't tellin' ... grin

Thanks George. I caught 2 of the 5 GC in the pond. They weren't too happy about the hook! The HSB DO pull a lot stronger than the LMB. I did lose one in the sunken tree branches, and had the hook pull out of another. I had to go down to a #10 Owner Mosquito hook to keep the SS floating. The HSB grab the pellet as they are headed towards the opposit shore.

George, you got help putting the bags in the car? Remember fresh batteries for the camera. I'd dying to see the pictures. Good luck!!
Posted By: Stacy4Stubby Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/08/11 02:34 AM
Scott, you did good! OK, well, great! smile

Please thank Mikey for allowing your fishing and photography fun, for me! I'd love to see a photo of his pond.

I'll be putting your photos to great use!

Just found out a couple of days ago (from the man himself)... that he put in a 13lb Rainbow Trout into a local fishing dam (of course, along with alot of other sized fish from his hatchery). Our state record is 14lb 7oz. So I gotta go try and get that 13lber! For practice, of course! In 5 days after stocking, there has only been about a total of 3 fish caught. Which I think is crazy. Guess you know what I'm taking to use as bait! smile

I'm excited!

Tell Mikey he has some nice looking fish! Thanks again to you both!
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/08/11 03:04 AM
Thanks Stacy. Mike caught the LMB, HBG and BG. I caught the GC and HSB. His pond is 2 ac. I'll let him know to check this thread. He might have pictures.
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/08/11 11:09 AM
Way to go Scott!!!

Thanks George. I caught 2 of the 5 GC in the pond. They weren't too happy about the hook! The HSB DO pull a lot stronger than the LMB. I did lose one in the sunken tree branches, and had the hook pull out of another. I had to go down to a #10 Owner Mosquito hook to keep the SS floating. The HSB grab the pellet as they are headed towards the opposit shore.

Scott, try a heavier hook for the HSB and let it sink - they go for a sinking Stubby.
As they get larger they will straiten a small wire hook – I use a #6 Mustad bait hook or sometimes a #1 “drop shot” hook.

Another tip - if you fish barbless, you will lose a Stubby almost with every fish - the "barbs" on the shank of bait hook will save the Stubby. After a fight with a HSB, the Stubby will loosen on the hook, so re-hook each time.

PS: no "hooker" jokes please ... grin

Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/08/11 04:50 PM
George, a #8 owner Mosquito hook would sink 1 or 2 Stubby pellets. I'd push one up so it was on the knot/eye of the hook, and the other was around the bend of the hook. Make it seem like 2 were floating down together.

You're right, I think almost all of my fish were caught on a sinking SS.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/09/11 12:37 PM
19 Inches, 4 lbs 13 oz, on a Stubby Steve's:

Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/09/11 12:40 PM
It's obvious that hawg isn't drinking Diet Mt. Dew!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/09/11 01:49 PM
Obese!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/09/11 02:08 PM
What are you force feeding that thing?
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/09/11 02:28 PM

Caught this little guy on a stubby steves nug.. Had some good characteristics for only be a little over 6" long..
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/09/11 03:02 PM
Theo, please, please, lay off the DMD.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/09/11 03:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
19 Inches, 4 lbs 13 oz, on a Stubby Steve's

Wow, so with those numbers I calculate a relative weight of 124%.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/09/11 03:23 PM
Nice, Theo.
Any guesses as to it's history, re; stocking
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/09/11 03:33 PM
Theo - that is one fat , healthy LMB. How much Stubby's are you feeding them?

What about the SMB pond - readers want to know.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/09/11 03:40 PM
I think he feeds that pond with them Aquamax Tootsie rolls
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/09/11 03:49 PM
laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: FCM67693 Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/09/11 04:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Stacy4Stubby
Scott, you did good! OK, well, great! smile

Please thank Mikey for allowing your fishing and photography fun, for me! I'd love to see a photo of his pond.

I'll be putting your photos to great use!

Just found out a couple of days ago (from the man himself)... that he put in a 13lb Rainbow Trout into a local fishing dam (of course, along with alot of other sized fish from his hatchery). Our state record is 14lb 7oz. So I gotta go try and get that 13lber! For practice, of course! In 5 days after stocking, there has only been about a total of 3 fish caught. Which I think is crazy. Guess you know what I'm taking to use as bait! smile

I'm excited!

Tell Mikey he has some nice looking fish! Thanks again to you both!

Stacy,

Here are couple of pics. Might try again tonight.

Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/09/11 07:09 PM
Beautiful pond & home, Mikey!
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/09/11 08:26 PM
We fished Mikey's pond yesterday evening and caught every species in the pond except RES. Even 2 of the five GC:

So how old are the GC that were caught, just trying to think how long it takes for these things to grow this large. What size were they as well.

Thanks
Posted By: Stacy4Stubby Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/10/11 12:39 PM
Wow, Mikey! It really is beautiful! A paradise!
Steve said he was disappointed in Stubby Steve's since it didn't get the full "grand slam"! (kidding, of course)

How old is your pond? Thank you for sharing! You have some really nice fish in there, too!
Stacy
Posted By: FCM67693 Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/10/11 02:11 PM
Thanks everyone. It is definately my getaway!

GC were stocked 2009 at around 10".

My goal was to control vegitation in the pond without chemicals. That ain't gonna happen! I am starting to get chara showing up and I don't want it to get out of control. Will be applying something real soon to handle it and the FA that can get pretty thick too.

Oh yeah, the pond was completed in August 2008 (almost exactly the same time as Scott). If we had known eath other then, he could have had all the clay he wanted to line his pond. Mine started to fill painfully slowly from a small spring. Then in September, the remainder of Hurricane Ike dumped 12" of rain in 2 days. It filled up completely!
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/10/11 07:44 PM
Did you measure the carp when you caught them?
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/10/11 09:17 PM
None of the fish were measured, but to give you some idea of size, the stubby steve'a package is 5 1/4" tall by 4" wide.
Posted By: Stacy4Stubby Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/14/11 05:18 AM
This is my brother and my nephew fishing. Montanta (my nephew) has been "fishing" since long before he could hold a fishing pole (with help from Daddy)! ...and he got a deer about three years ago.... don't know how that actually worked but my brother was supposed to be watching the ~2 year old and decided he couldn't hold back from going hunting. Snuck off and went hunting so Mommy wouldn't know. She wouldn't have found out except for he had to explain where the large deer came from when he was supposed to be watching Sponge Bob! smile He had to drag an excited boy and a deer out of the woods all at the same time.
We are a hard-headed, stubborn bunch smile But, I'm really glad Montana loves the outdoors, especially fishing.

I thought this was the cutest video. Montana was so excited! He already knows the difference between a bluegill, HSB, trout, LMB, catfish, carp, and which tackle to use. wink Guess!!!!

Montana and Daddy fishing
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/14/11 12:11 PM
Stacy, that's what it's all about.
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/14/11 05:56 PM
This is such a great family post that I asked docg if I could copy it to the personal pond thread - thanks doc!

Here are some fish we have caught this year. Thanks to Greg Grimes and Nate Herman.

Posted By: Stacy4Stubby Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/15/11 02:37 AM
Theo and Bluegillkiller.... I apologize for not seeing your photos earlier! I saw Mikey's pond and went off on a tangent. Those are great! You all are making my project SOOOOOO much easier to gather photos of different species of fish caught with SS.

You Pond Boss gentlemen (and women) have been so incredible with your friendship and support. We LOVE that you are enjoying catching fish out of your "pride and joy" ponds and that we are a small part of that thrill! Photos are priceless but the memories you are making are unmatched in the greater things in life! smile

Thank you, thank you! Please keep the photos and stories coming!
Stacy
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/15/11 02:37 AM
Nice fish guys - except that one post spawn skinny LMB.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2011 - 05/15/11 08:13 PM
This is my oldest, Gage, with his first CC... just shy of 5 lbs.

A warm-up for his future battle with the grass carp...

Description: Gage, with his first channel cat...
Attached picture IMG_2602.JPG
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/23/11 07:06 PM
19 Inches, 4 lbs 13 oz, on a Stubby Steve's:

What a toad!
Posted By: F-H Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/28/11 02:34 AM
Glad to see the fish in our pond weren't all killed off due to the LONG winter.

The BG are eating size!
Will be culling a bunch out this year -

I don't have as many perch as BG in the pond but they are getting some size now too.

The smallmouth are about 10-12" - a little thin coming out of winter - hoping they fatten up when the perch and bluegill spawn start to get some size. I haven't seen a fathead minnow in the pond in about a year.

Fish Fry this weekend!
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin 2011 - 05/31/11 02:44 PM
bruce where did you catch that fish? It is a toad.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/05/11 02:21 AM
Fellow member and friend, Wivell and his son, got to my place today. Here's one LMB and then a fish that's a mystery to me:

What's this?:

Supposedly, it was about 7-8" long and spewing eggs...
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/05/11 02:24 AM
I want to guess Golden Shriner.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/05/11 02:41 AM
Sunil, how much beer have you been pouring into the pond?

Golden would be my guess too, but I've never seen one that fat!
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/05/11 02:53 AM
Here's what an hour or so of fishing resulted in:

I tossed 11 more into the weeds before I started just leaving them pile up on the pier. All were right at 9" long. Not my pond, and I'm hoping that I can catch the majority out of the pond within the next week. Stubby's worked great! 60 total so far.....
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/05/11 04:11 AM
why are you trying to remove the goldfish carp from the pond? I have been trying to add them as a forage base for years but they all seem to be eaten within days. supposedly I was told they would make a bass turn into a football very quickly. They are oily slow and orange. What more could you ask for to fatten up a bass. There must not be any bass in that pond?
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/05/11 04:33 AM
a couple of fish caught with my friend. No giants but some really nice fish.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/05/11 07:43 AM
What's this?:

100% female golden shiner... That is what a golden shiner female looks like right before she drops eggs. Hopefully they threw her back. She'll create lots of golden shiner fry for your fish to eat. The males will be much thinner and will take on a golden color hence the name with orange-red fins.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/05/11 09:33 AM
James, there are supposed to be LMB in the pond, but I haven't seen any. I did see hundreds of small BG, all 2 1/2" to 4", with a few at 5"-6". The pond had a winterkill 2 or 3 years ago, and supposedly it was stocked with adult fish the next Spring. (I don't know the stocking rates). It's .8 ac. I'm guessing that someone threw in 100+ feeder goldfish and this is the result. The pond owner wants to have a fast paced fishery for kids, and I don't think the goldfish will help him with his goals. He's been erratically hand feeding, and said that there were a few goldfish in the pond. When I showed him the picture he was really suprised.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/05/11 02:25 PM
Thanks CJ. Yes, they threw her back.
Posted By: Al Davison Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/05/11 02:46 PM
All my Pond Boss reading and trying to follow is starting to pay off!

We are finally catching good sized bass that have big bellies.

I caught the new "pond record" on Memorial Day - 5lb 14oz. on the digital scale!

Bad cellphone picture of it:

Note the storm damage in the background - lost a few trees.

Nope, I was not fishing in my Gheenoe or my Riverhawk this time - just an old PondProwler. wink
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/05/11 03:40 PM
Congratulations Al, that LMB looks great!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/05/11 09:30 PM
Al, let us know how those years were in the French Foreign Legion (your hat!)!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/05/11 11:21 PM
I just wonder what the state of pond bossing would be without Pond Boss. The photos above are all incredible, and a testament to what we've passed on to each other with the help of people like Bob Lusk. Looking at the photos, who would have ever thought we could be raising fish like James Holt or Al Davison? If it wasn't for Pond Boss, there is no way I would be culling 9-10 inch bluegill, and catching 12 inch bluegill. Until I found Pond Boss I was extremely happy to catch a few 8-inch bluegill each season!

Just this year I've caught the largest trout, the largest female bluegill, and the largest male bluegill I've ever caught in my more than 60 years of fishing! All because of our friends on this site.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/05/11 11:24 PM
Sunil, how much beer have you been pouring into the pond?

The beer is carefully biologically processed to remove the alcohol before applying it to the pond water.

Been there! Done that! Sunil's fish are very fat and happy.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/06/11 12:25 AM
What's this?:

Hey, I remember dumping that little trollop into your pond last October along with about 5000 of her closest friends and suitors!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/06/11 01:43 AM
You're right Todd! We stocked those in the deep end shortly before you lost that hog LMB and your Gold Spinner Blade!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/06/11 02:19 AM
That's the one! I still think about that LMB - that thing was huge! By far the biggest one I've ever almost caught. If you are out there and see a gold flash, be sure to cast for it and start using that spinner again! It was deadly that day!
Posted By: Al Davison Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/06/11 11:50 PM
Al, let us know how those years were in the French Foreign Legion (your hat!)!

Dang! I shoulda taken off my hat! I gave away the best secret to my legendary angling prowess - it's all in the fashion.

That hat is the only thing that keeps me from being a genuine Georgia redneck. wink

----------
In reality, I think I've figured out the secret to catching good LMB in my pond - the trick is to go out planning to cull the little ones! I actually caught that fish on a light-weight spinning rod. I had a bigger bass rod in the boat with me but I heard that fish splashing up against the bank and thought it was another dink so, I just flipped a little weightless blue/black Senko up there and she HAMMERED it! I had all I wanted trying to get that fish out of the heavy cover on that little rod!
Posted By: Colby Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/08/11 03:04 AM
A couple from this year that I snapped pics of with my phone. I always think my bass look top notch... nice and chunky. Till I log into this place and see the bass some of you guys are growing with scheduled feeding. Obscene to say the least, in fact Im surprised some of those bass can even swim, as round as they are they should float like a cork!

Posted By: Al Davison Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/08/11 01:17 PM
Nice fish, Colby!

That looks like almost all the fish we catch at our pond. I just don't usually take pictures and definitely don't bother posting pictures of fish that aren't really remarkable. The fish I posted was truly the biggest LMB that we have caught at out pond. We've caught a few - like maybe 3 others - that have hit the 5-lb mark. As you well know, that ain't a big bass here in the south. It's just a big bass for my little puddle. wink
Posted By: Colby Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/08/11 04:57 PM
I started tagging fish this year for the first time, and I like to snap a pic some of the fish ive tagged. Comparing weight and length from catch to catch is great, but I thought it might be interesting to actually see the results of my effort. Im tagging mostly 3lb (roughly 18") and up right now, so thats reason for their similar sizes. Im excited about the initial measurements, the majority of my bass are above the relative weights for their length.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/14/11 12:56 PM
Had the pleasure of fishing TJ’s pond on Sunday and we had a blast. Managed to find all but one species (blacknose crappie) stocked. A few pics from the day.

I got my boy rigged up as soon as we got there and before I could get anybody else’s rods ready, he had landed 3 fish. Two smallies and a bluegill.

He also found a couple redears. First a male, second a female?

My wife and sister-in-law got into the action as well, catching fish they’ve never caught before. Always cool to hear “what’s this?”. Even cooler to sound smart by being able to answer correctly.

Yellow Perch

Golden Shiner

And I did a little fishing too.

Thank you again TJ! Call me anytime you need some cheap (free) labor!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/14/11 01:27 PM
Some nice looking fish! I think you are right about the RES, top is male and bottom is female. How much did that HSB weigh?
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/14/11 01:31 PM
I sent TJ the picture and he estimated 19" and 4-5 pounds, probably closer to 4. Wild fight we had. I didn't take the time to measure or weigh. Got the pic taken and the fish was back in the water.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/14/11 01:54 PM
Awesome report, Omaha and Pancho Villa!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/14/11 05:11 PM
Tell Pancho to stop cutting the tails off his fish.

This is barbaric!

Posted By: Bullhead Re: Fishin 2011 - 06/15/11 01:37 PM
The bite was definitely on Sunday and Monday in southeast Nebraska. Check out the Old Farmer's Almanac fishing calendar. The 12th and 13th were listed as "best" days, which it goes on to explain are days when "you will catch something almost every time you cast your line into the water".
That's certainly the way it was in our pond.
Posted By: Al Davison Re: Fishin' 2011 - 06/22/11 03:02 PM
Another 5-lb fattie from my pond! This was the only fish we boated yesterday although we each had another good one on and had it either break off or shake off.

While some people will argue passionately that my secret is all in my choice of fashion, I firmly believe that the real secret to catching the bigger fish in my pond is attempting to catch smaller ones to cull.

All of you who have offered me advice on helping to grow bigger bass are the ones to thank for this season's much-improved fishing! I 'preciate it!
Posted By: Dwight Re: Fishin' 2011 - 06/24/11 09:42 PM
I took an hour off from work this afternoon and caught a dozen or so LMB. I was running light on equipment today since I had to walk through 3 feet deep water to get onto the Barge. So, sorry for the crummy photos taken with my Thunderbolt cell phone.

Obviously these four were not particularly happy about my opening the door on their new condo. These were the largest caught and now reside in the dock area (at least temporarily). The largest was a 20.5 inches.

Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Fishin' 2011 - 06/24/11 09:52 PM
Had they spawned, Dwight? You'd assume so, but it's been a strange year and I thought I would ask.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Fishin' 2011 - 06/25/11 12:54 AM
All but one of them appeared to have spawned. The water temperatures have certainly not been cooperative. Sometimes they just let go even if the water temps are not ideal.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fishin' 2011 - 06/26/11 09:55 PM
This is probably the last trout of the season. It was just short of 15 inches. I think there is still one more golden, and one more rainbow left. They became extremely difficult to catch as of about mid-May. I was fishing for bluegill with bread balls when I caught this one.

Also, I'm finding that my bluegill are getting the same color as those from Richmond Mill Lake that Condello and Lusk keep showing us -- nearly black. Here is a male that is just a little over 10 inches.

Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Fishin' 2011 - 06/27/11 01:43 AM
Nice color on that Golden, I can see why their a come get me neon sign for predators.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 06/27/11 03:06 AM
Ken, what's the pH of your pond? Usually those darkly colored BG are from acidic waters.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2011 - 06/27/11 12:22 PM
Dwight, nice catch, but couldn't you have held one of the fish up and taken a pic w/ your cell? (Freak)
Posted By: Dwight Re: Fishin' 2011 - 06/27/11 12:48 PM
Dwight, nice catch, but couldn't you have held one of the fish up and taken a pic w/ your cell? (Freak)

I was afraid to put my hand in the live well with 4 hyper-oxygenated LMB with NP dispositions! laugh

When I am releasing fish, I figure one human touch at hook removal is plenty.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2011 - 06/27/11 12:55 PM
Uh oh! Now, I've just seen your revolving avatar (Freak)!

The fish are not that fragile!
Posted By: Dwight Re: Fishin' 2011 - 06/27/11 01:54 PM
Uh oh! Now, I've just seen your revolving avatar (Freak)!

Cool, huh?
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fishin' 2011 - 06/27/11 02:02 PM
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Ken, what's the pH of your pond? Usually those darkly colored BG are from acidic waters.

Interestingly, my pond water consistently stays at a pH of 6.8. It has been that way for at least five years, and it doesn't matter how I measure it, or how high or low it is. This time of year the visibility is close to three feet and it is tea colored. I assume the tea coloring is from tannin, but that should make it more acidic. The water is also very soft -- I don't remember the hardness readings, but the readings stay consistently low. I have very few blooms and I only have a little FA in the spring. I don't know the answer. The fish are happy, and that is all that counts.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Fishin' 2011 - 06/27/11 04:03 PM
Great fish Ken!

PS you guys better hope I never figure out how to prepare a revolving avatar!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fishin' 2011 - 06/27/11 11:22 PM
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
. . .
PS you guys better hope I never figure out how to prepare a revolving avatar!

Scary thought! Cod-piece shown in four revolving profile shots.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/15/11 12:19 AM

24 1/2 Inches, 7 Lbs 13 Oz, on a Stubby Steve's
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/15/11 12:26 AM
Nice fish T. How old do you think ?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/15/11 12:36 AM
WOW! Did you eat it?
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/15/11 01:05 AM
Nice!!!!!

How long did it take you to get it landed?
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/15/11 03:48 PM
Wow just think how large that fish would be if you let it drink regular (not diet) Mountain Dew!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/15/11 03:50 PM
Kid's first fish from a kayak.

Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/15/11 03:54 PM
Good photo Omaha, that is what ponding is all about!
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/15/11 04:11 PM
Photo???? I see a "it's been moved or deleted" message.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/15/11 04:21 PM
Photo???? I see a "it's been moved or deleted" message.

Show up now? Forgot that I moved it to another folder in my Photobucket portfolio.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/15/11 05:16 PM
Yep! Great pic!!
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/15/11 07:42 PM

24 1/2 Inches, 7 Lbs 13 Oz, on a Stubby Steve's

Theo - Congratulations on your monster HSB - Good job!!!!
I like your documentation .... cool
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/15/11 08:37 PM
George! Have you stuck your head out of the A/C lately?? grin
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/15/11 09:27 PM
Only last week Scott - during our one day cold spell when we hit 97!!!
Cool today at 102 in the shade!!!
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/16/11 07:46 AM
Here is a smallmouth bass that the wife caught twice within minutes. First time she caught it, the 1/0 hook made a distinctive hole thru his upper lip. She then caught another smallie that came unbuttoned near her feet, then the third one that had the same hole as the first! I thought when you caught a fish that kind of spooked them for a while. I guess not.

Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/16/11 11:33 AM
very cool. Matt that works with me caught a bass on our lunch break less than two hours after we had shocked and tagged it. There are basically no hard rules when it comes to fish.

So wait just a minute you have smallies in HI?
Posted By: james holt Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/18/11 02:12 AM
Good job Theo and congratulations! Eric where are yours?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/18/11 12:06 PM
roadwarrior, do you have smallies in Hawaii?
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/18/11 09:22 PM
Yes, but they are somewhat rare. We are lucky to live by the main mountain stream that feeds our lake. The cool rapid flowing water keeps the smallies around. They have been caught in a few other freshwater streams around the island as well. We have our fair share of largemouth also, but our claim to fame (I guess) is our lakes peacock bass, found in S. America, here, and some in S. Florida.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/29/11 03:13 PM
Starting to find some LMB...

Mine

My buddy's

I was helping my friend put a tape on his fish and took a dorsel fin in my hand, between my thumb and pointer finger. A "barb" broke off in my hand. Never had that happen before.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/29/11 04:35 PM
Those are nice Omaha are these from your pond?
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/29/11 05:47 PM
OUCH! Did you get it out?
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/29/11 05:55 PM
Luckily there was enough sticking out to grab a hold of and pull out just like a sliver.

Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/29/11 06:06 PM
If it gets infected, I've used Icthammol to draw out the infection. It's been on the market for a long time, and it's probably older than DD1 but it still works!

http://www.baar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Product_Code=356&Screen=PROD

You should be able to find it at your local pharmacy.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/29/11 06:19 PM
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
Those are nice Omaha are these from your pond?

These were out of my buddy's private BOW.

If it gets infected, I've used Icthammol to draw out the infection. It's been on the market for a long time, and it's probably older than DD1 but it still works!

http://www.baar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Product_Code=356&Screen=PROD

You should be able to find it at your local pharmacy.

Thanks Scott. I don't think it's too bad, infection wise, but I might pick up some just to keep in my tackle bag. blush
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/29/11 06:31 PM
Had it been a CC or BH you could have just wiped your hand down the side of the fish.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/29/11 09:03 PM
I keep a tube in the medicine cabinet. I might not use it for a year, but it never goes bad, and I can't tell you how old the tube is.....

Put some on, cover with a band-aid. In a day or so the infection is usually gone.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/29/11 09:17 PM
I keep a tube in the medicine cabinet. I might not use it for a year, but it never goes bad, and I can't tell you how old the tube is.....

Put some on, cover with a band-aid. In a day or so the infection is usually gone.

I've always used Neosporin if I think I need it, but I'm kind of bad about doing anything about it usually. It's definitely infected, but only minor. Tossed a football around yesterday and broke it open again real nice. Letting it "air out" all day today. It's pretty gross now. laugh
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/29/11 09:28 PM
That stuff beats Neosporin hands down. Word of advice. You might not want to stick your nose by the tube to smell it.....
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/29/11 09:31 PM
Word of advice. You might not want to stick your nose by the tube to smell it.....

Why is that? Smells so good I'll eat the tube? eek
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2011 - 08/30/11 02:21 AM
Err... maybe! sick
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Fishin' 2011 - 10/25/11 11:09 PM
My new Bluegill record - 10 1/2", 1Lbs 9 3/4Oz.

Posted By: sprkplug Re: Fishin' 2011 - 10/25/11 11:59 PM
I commented on how nice it was over on BBG, but an accomplishment like that deserves another round of accolades.....

Well done.
Posted By: JamesBryan Re: Fishin' 2011 - 10/26/11 12:35 AM
Wow Theo, that's a dandy!
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 10/26/11 10:41 AM
NICE!!!
cool whistle
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishin' 2011 - 10/26/11 12:18 PM
Did you eat it, oh he who seldom posts anymore?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Fishin' 2011 - 10/26/11 12:39 PM
Hell, no. Moved it to the breeder pond to be a Daddy next year.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Fishin' 2011 - 10/26/11 12:56 PM
Nice BG Theo!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Fishin' 2011 - 10/26/11 02:59 PM
Beautiful fish although it does bear a strange resemblance to Alfred Hitchcock.

Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 10/26/11 04:54 PM

laugh
Posted By: esshup Re: Fishin' 2011 - 10/27/11 04:27 AM
That's a heck of a fish Theo!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fishin' 2011 - 10/27/11 10:40 AM
Must have been luck. Certainly wasn't due to good character.

How's the family?
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishin' 2011 - 10/27/11 02:50 PM
Very nice BG T. How about a report on how you did that ? Did it go in the SMB pond ?
© Pond Boss Forum