Pond Boss
Posted By: Al Davison affordable DIY sediment removal? - 10/25/10 04:58 PM
Other than wading in with a shovel and filling up a boat with muck, is there an affordable solution to removing sediment?

My idea of affordable would be under $1,000 and way under that would be the best. I've been thinking about some kind of pump/vacuum system that could be built using a small gas engine - like an old lawnmower engine or something but I don't have the engineering skills.

I wouldn't even mind if it was really slow and took several weeks or was a continuous, on-going project.

There are parts of my pond that are just inaccessible by any sort of big digging machine.

Any ideas?
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: affordable DIY sediment removal? - 10/25/10 05:10 PM
There are some links regarding dredging:

Efficient "muck" harvest

I'd be interested in hearing responses.

Seems like the main issues involved with dredging using a water pump are: (1) debris clogging the lines and (2) separating the water from the dredged muck and then safely returning the water to the pond.
Posted By: Al Davison Re: affordable DIY sediment removal? - 10/25/10 05:50 PM
I found this:

http://www.piranhapumps.com/mini_dredges.html

Rather than own one, I'd like to rent one or have somebody come and do it for me but, I am giving some thought to the idea of buying one and training an operator as a business venture.

It looks like providing the service would require a lot more than just this machine, trailer, and truck though. I'm thinking you'd need a way to be able to dig a hole away from the pond to hold the sludge and then be able to cover it over since that stuff really STINKS to high-heaven! wink
© Pond Boss Forum