Pond Boss
Posted By: Dragnasty Building a pond with a high water table? - 08/27/10 01:31 PM
Do you build the pond the same way you would any pond? I've read a lot and can't find much info. Would it hold water better or would the water table mess up the pond compaction? I've read a lot, but still feel i haven't read much about water table being a factor, unless it were to drain the pond when it drops.
Posted By: esshup Re: Building a pond with a high water table? - 08/27/10 03:11 PM
In my case, the water was flowing into the pond at a rate of 6,000 gallons per hour as we were digging it. My pond fluctuates up and down according to the water table, although now once it was full I can keep it artificially high, approximately 24" higher than the water table by pumping 1500 gallons per hour into the pond.

When digging a pond in an area that has a high water table, I'd run a trash pump to keep it pumped dry, or as dry as you can so you're not digging in water. That's the only way that you can be sure that the bottom is contoured and the depth that you want it. It's easier on the equipment, and the digging can go faster because the water will carry a lot of soil back into the pond when it runs downhill.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Building a pond with a high water table? - 08/29/10 05:57 PM
What type of soil are you dealing with?
The soil I believe i'm dealing with will be Dothan, sandy loam. It should have great clay content and slow permeability. I was concerned with compacting the bottom while I have it pumped dry. Is that the way to do it? Seems to me if you depend on the water table, you wouldn't want to seal the pond?
Posted By: Rainman Re: Building a pond with a high water table? - 08/31/10 01:35 PM
Dragnasty,

I'm pretty sure if you are digging into the water table, you won't be able to do much compaction anywhere. The watertable would be your pond water supply. The pond level will rise and fall with the table though. You would still want to stabilize the sides as much as possible to prevent erosion.
© Pond Boss Forum