Pond Boss
Posted By: Sunil July-August 2010 Pond Boss is on the street! - 07/09/10 09:46 PM
Word.

It's on.

Arrived today....
Sunil you always start the fun with this !!! We need to pay the postman to hijack your issue so we can reciprocate.

Sheesh! Just more salt in the wounds. mad

Nobody likes me. I think I'll just go down to the garden and eat some worms.

Quote:
Nobody likes me, everybody hates me,
I think I'll go eat worms!
Big fat juicy ones,
Eensie weensy squeensy ones,
See how they wiggle and squirm!

Down goes the first one, down goes the second one,
Oh how they wiggle and squirm!
Up comes the first one, up comes the second one,
Oh how they wiggle and squirm!

I bite off the heads, and suck out the juice,
And throw the skins away!
Nobody knows how fat I grow,
On worms three times a day!

Nobody likes me, everybody hates me,
I think I'll go eat worms!
Big fat juicy ones,
Eensie weensy squeensy ones,
See how they wiggle and squirm!

Maybe tomorrow. grin

P.S. How much extra do you have to pay to get the 2xSuperSonic Door-to-Door 30-Minute Courier Service?
Got mine today!
Well, technically, got it yesterday, but since I'm still awake from Friday morning, I'm calling it today, even though it's actually now tomorrow, or Saturday. I'll stop here as I'm starting to confuse myself. Suffice it say that, apparently, Sunil and I have achieved favored status somehow! grin
Well, it's almost 11:30 pm here....I could go check the mailbox....but I guess I could wait till morning! Customs probably has it held up anyways....at least until they have all read it!
Originally Posted By: Rattletrap2
Well, it's almost 11:30 pm here....I could go check the mailbox....but I guess I could wait till morning! Customs probably has it held up anyways....at least until they have all read it!

Can you blame them??!! laugh
OK stop it guys I am at the farm working on the pond and it is mailed to the house, so I cannot see it yet. I should get home later this week.
So are Sunil and I the only ones who have either gotten ours or the only ones who are aware that ours have arrived?
Mine arrived on Saturday.
Still waiting.
Me too.
waiting...
Got mine today.
Haven't seen mine yet. Or the wifey is reading it.
I got my copy yesterday.
Mine was in the mailbox this afternoon. smile

Thanks you PB for getting my address changed and mailed to the right place.
Mine was also in the mailbox today. If you are not a subscriber to Pond Boss magazine you are missing a great issue filled with very good and helpful pond information.
I continued to be impressed with the stream of new information. I truly believe that this is a rarity in the magazine business. It's fresh all the time, every time!
If I subscribe can someone tell me if I will get the July-August issue?

Also is this an annual subscription?
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
If I subscribe can someone tell me if I will get the July-August issue?

Also is this an annual subscription?

No doubt about it if you call them. Contact info is on this site. It may have to be a back issue, but i have no doubt you'll get one.

BTW I got my issue today.
Mine came today !! grin
Originally Posted By: ewest
Mine came today !! grin

Congrats! The postal wench finally gave it up! grin
Mine was in the mail box today. Dr. Perca, shouldn't I recognize some of those plants on the cover photo?
esshup - cover photo of the Jul-Aug PBoss was taken on my pond. The water lily article was a little longer than the typical PBoss article. I would appreciate it if readers would send the editor some feedback - positive or negative about the article. If readers would like to see more articles about benefical pond plants let the editor at pondboss@texoma.net know your opinions.
Thanks Bill! I just finished reading the magazine cover to cover. I've got a question about one of the varities in the article. The picture of Mayla is stunning. I looked in the leaf spread chart for it, but I can't find it listed. Where does it fit? I really liked the article, it told me some things that I forgot, and the planting instructions were excellent.

Also, I have a yellow and a red lily from your pond, but I neglected to write down what varieties they are. Can you enlighten me?
Whewwww....got mine yesterday. All is right with the world again!
I just placed my subscription order (plus some back issues), so I hope they arrive soon.

How do I get that nice little logo that says I subscribe?
Try this link, bossone.
Still waiting......
esshup - I omitted the spread info for some of the lilies pictured in the article on purpose so readers would look up the info if they liked that particular variety. Mayla is a great bright, deep pink lily, and developed by K. Strawn in Texas. Just for you: spread for Mayla is 6-8ft, leaf size 8"-10", new leaves deep purple and undersides reddish purple, flower size 5"-6", number of petals 40. I normally have it growing so far up to 5 ft deep.

I pulled two red-pink lilies that day and I'm not sure which one you got. If your blooms are dark red then the red lily you got was called Almost Black, flowers 5"-6" and 38-40 petals, spread 3.5-5 ft, depth growing to about 4 to maybe 5 ft. Or if it is deep pink, it was a Perrys Fire Opal: flowers a deep pink color, leaf spread 4'-5', flowers 6"-7".
Yellow lily was a Yellow Queen with a lighter yellow color and big flowers 7"-10" and mottled leaves up to 12" dia. Leaf spread 4'-5'. Expect it to grow to depths of 5' and maybe 6'.

Readers - send the PBoss editor your comments if you liked the water lily article. pondboss@texoma.net
Thanks Bill. In fact, the lilies are just starting to produce a few flowers. I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow. Should I pick the flowers so they can send more energy to the roots, or let them bloom?

Right now they are in 2' of water because the pond has dropped 14" since they were placed in the pond. Should I be moving them to deeper water a little every week until they reach the 4' depth? I'll make sure I shove them deeper than that for the winter.

The eelgrass had a bunch of algae growing on it, now I see new leaves shoting up from the soil in the trays.
Thanks for the instructions on the "I Subscribe" graphic! (Think I did it right...)

Still waiting for our issue to show up. Maybe today!
esshup - I would prune the new flower buds for at least July and most of August. Maybe allow a bloom or two to occur in late August or Sept. This will allow the plant to use more energy establishing a real good root base. Growing depth for this summer can be 2'-3'. Overwinter them in 3' of water will be okay. If the planting tub is in 1-2ft of water when the leaves freeze, then just push the tub into 2.5-3ft of water for winter. At that time there may be a few new leaves still under water and rolled up which is okay during the winter period.
Thanks Bill. I'll take a camera out there, and if there are any blooms I'll take a pic before snapping them off. I'll check the water depth as well and shove them deeper if required.
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
esshup - I omitted the spread info for some of the lilies pictured in the article on purpose so readers would look up the info if they liked that particular variety. Mayla is a great bright, deep pink lily, and developed by K. Strawn in Texas. Just for you: spread for Mayla is 6-8ft, leaf size 8"-10", new leaves deep purple and undersides reddish purple, flower size 5"-6", number of petals 40. I normally have it growing so far up to 5 ft deep.

I pulled two red-pink lilies that day and I'm not sure which one you got. If your blooms are dark red then the red lily you got was called Almost Black, flowers 5"-6" and 38-40 petals, spread 3.5-5 ft, depth growing to about 4 to maybe 5 ft. Or if it is deep pink, it was a Perrys Fire Opal: flowers a deep pink color, leaf spread 4'-5', flowers 6"-7".
Yellow lily was a Yellow Queen with a lighter yellow color and big flowers 7"-10" and mottled leaves up to 12" dia. Leaf spread 4'-5'. Expect it to grow to depths of 5' and maybe 6'.

Readers - send the PBoss editor your comments if you liked the water lily article. pondboss@texoma.net

Bill - I loved it! Thank you again for a great article. I plan on adding lillies next year and this will be my guide.
Still no July/August issue here yet. frown
Received and read mine yesterday! It was pretty cool to see a cover photo of a pond that I'd gotten a sunburn on while fishing less than a month earlier!...lol
Got mine Monday. Great as usual.
Got mine today. Nice work, Bill Cody!!
No Love (just kidding)- tried Dave to get a little layman research in with our tag data. Great as usual!
Yeah, Greg, that's why we are not supposed to single out one person, right? I did note that YOUR article had sparked a lot of interest/comment on the Forum. And YES, I did think you were quite the scientist. smile
Haha jast messing around. i saw a chance to take a stab. It was neat finding that bass grow here in December but not July.
How long does it take to get your first issue once you sign up?
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
How long does it take to get your first issue once you sign up?

Just like all things ponds, "it all depends". I think it depends mostly on whether the postman/postlady wants to read it before you or not. grin
I just received my first Pond Boss along with some back issues. Man am I impressed! Very high quality and excellent articles.

Thanks for allowing me to join this brotherhood!
I should get mine in a few days so we will see.
I received mine yesterday.

Thanks
© Pond Boss Forum