Pond Boss
Posted By: Dustin Pratt My Son and Mike Otto - 05/12/10 07:51 PM
So I met with mike Otto today! My 5 year old son wanted to tag along. He asked who we were seeing, and I responded that we were seeing THE pond boss. He asked me what this means.. and i explained that he is an expert with dirt.

During our introductions, not even saying hello, how are you, or any other niceties...

Mike: Hello there kiddo... how are you?

5 year old: "where is your shovel? You have work to do." and started throwing rocks into the pond.

I guess in a 5 year olds eyes, Dad and the dirt experts shouldnt be standing around talking....

it was a funny moment.

I really want to post to tell anyone who is even considering pond work/dirt work to call mike and get an opinion... he even saved my life from a 3 foot diamondback.

dustin
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/12/10 08:04 PM
Dustin - great post. You're blessed with a unique opportunity to work with Mr. Otto...but your son is right, less talk - more diggin!
Posted By: Sunil Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/12/10 09:00 PM
In Otto's own words, his time at Harvard Law School was well spent.
Posted By: ewest Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/12/10 09:54 PM
Here is Mike with his shovel. laugh

Posted By: catmandoo Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/12/10 10:07 PM
Great story Dustin. I can fully envision your little fella and Mike talking business -- and both thoroughly enjoying the exchange before starting to play in the dirt.
Posted By: esshup Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/12/10 10:45 PM
Good post Dustin! Now fill us in on the rest of the story!!
Posted By: Dustin Pratt Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/12/10 11:40 PM
Ok, so here is the story:

I have been considering this as a possible lake sight and had the following thread:

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=215241#Post215241

Long story short, mike tells me that my ravine, and terrain are both A++; and will make one of the coolest bass lakes with natural cuts and structure that he has looked at in a long time.

Felt my Clay availability was B level; satisfactory, but worried about the amount of gypsum rock in the layers of soil.

Otto also pointed out much evidence that a large amount of water has been flowing into the "mini grand canyon" as he called it. felt water availability was B+ level.

I will take some photos soon, and let you see what Mike and I are so excited about... now it is time to get some earth moving equipment going..... (after I save some more... rather large, deep dam.)

Dustin
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/13/10 12:59 AM
Wow Dustin... Sounds like you have a future gem on your hands! How large will the final pond be?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/13/10 02:11 AM
Dustin, if Mike returns have your son conduct a clay plasticity test on the side of his pickup. Mike will understand that perfectly.
Posted By: fishinglth Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/13/10 02:47 AM
Dustin, Mike Otto built my lake in a very similar situation. None better than Otto in my opinion, couldn't be happier with the finished product. We damned up a ravine full of mesquite and cedar trees. Mike also expressed some concerns about some gypsum he found at our place, but so far it has not been an issue. Lupe, Mike's right hand man is not real keen on rattlesnakes!

Approximately where is your lake located and what will your water shed be?
Posted By: Dustin Pratt Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/14/10 02:49 AM
CJB,

Mike is doing the final calculations, but sounds like it will be about 15-20 acres... There are so many little fingers and forks down the sides, that my topo calculations with the free utilities online are not too accurate. Mike is getting some numbers for me soon.

Fishinglth,

Above in the post is a link to my orininal thread, there is a topo map and cordinatnts there...The lake will be 5 miles west of my town, Childress, Tx. we have 22.5 inch/year rainfall, and we estimate a 300-350+ acre watershed. The watershed is steep, and probably will run off more than the standard 30%.

I will post some pics later tonight.
Posted By: fishinglth Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/14/10 03:10 AM
Dustin,
I sent you a PM.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/14/10 03:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Dustin, if Mike returns have your son conduct a clay plasticity test on the side of his pickup. Mike will understand that perfectly.

LOL! Agreed - have him perform two tests - just to be certain the results are authentic
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/14/10 04:01 AM
15-20 acres... I bet there are gonna be some real brutes caught out of it in the next decade!
Posted By: Dustin Pratt Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/14/10 04:09 AM

here is a picture of the current lake and the creek and dam. We estimate it is 4-5 acres at max level, which it is now. It is hard to estimate with the google maps as those photos show a much smaller lake (drought time) Our plan is to raise water level 10-15 feet by adding a larger dam downstream.
Posted By: esshup Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/14/10 04:11 AM
That will be one very nice BOW!
Posted By: Dustin Pratt Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/14/10 04:23 AM
THANKS!!! i am very excited. have to do some saving... frown but hopefully soon!
Posted By: Sunil Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/14/10 12:16 PM
Any fish in the existing pond?
Posted By: Dustin Pratt Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/14/10 01:21 PM
Yes, but I have never fished it... I'm told it was LMB, CC, and an unknown verity of sunfish...

we had a contract on the land pending what Mike Otto told me... and now that we have the green light, we have to sign the paperwork soon.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/14/10 08:31 PM
Childress huh? Not a lot of people go there or even through there on purpose. I think it's a neat part of the world. About 10 years ago, I almost bought a place North of Quanah.

That's the part of the world where dogs belong under the house, not in it.
Posted By: Dustin Pratt Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/15/10 08:27 PM

here is the link to the photo...The panoramic gives better perspective.

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae315/drp96a/lake.jpg
Posted By: Omaha Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/16/10 05:34 AM
That is a fine looking place there Dustin.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/17/10 01:50 AM
That looks like a place with some pesky mulies.
Posted By: Dustin Pratt Re: My Son and Mike Otto - 05/17/10 04:05 AM
yah, i have seen mule deer, white tail, hogs, and of course quail and dove. it is very game filled area. Contract in this week.... and i hope to have test holes dug in the next 3 months...

it is unfortunate that I dont have the larger dam as it has been raining a LOT this year!
© Pond Boss Forum