Pond Boss
Posted By: cscs Can a pond have too many tadpoles - 04/03/10 02:56 PM
I have a 1/2 acre pond that was just stocked with RES, CNB, and CC/BC. The question I have is the pond is full of frogs and tadpoles. It also has lots of crawfish and some salamander looking things. The tadpoles are everywhere, I am sure there are thousands. They swim to the surface like they are getting air and then swim back down. Are they air breathers and this is normal, or is it a sign of lack of oxygen or something. Can there be too many.
Posted By: rcn11thacr Re: Can a pond have too many tadpoles - 04/03/10 03:02 PM
Sounds to me like a buffet for all the newly stocked fish...if they are big enough to benefit from the tadpoles.
Posted By: cscs Re: Can a pond have too many tadpoles - 04/03/10 03:06 PM
I do not believe the catfish are big enough, the tadpoles are big, about the size of my thumb.
Posted By: Robinson Re: Can a pond have too many tadpoles - 04/03/10 03:13 PM
Regarding tadpole count, while some may very well beg to differ, the general concensus of these folks is that that you can never have too many tadpoles.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ponds/msg0611094919276.html

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Can a pond have too many tadpoles - 04/04/10 03:30 AM
 Originally Posted By: cscs
I have a 1/2 acre pond that was just stocked with RES, CNB, and CC/BC. The question I have is the pond is full of frogs and tadpoles. It also has lots of crawfish and some salamander looking things. The tadpoles are everywhere, I am sure there are thousands. They swim to the surface like they are getting air and then swim back down. Are they air breathers and this is normal, or is it a sign of lack of oxygen or something. Can there be too many.

Hi CSCS

I too have a multitude of bullfrog tadpoles and consider myself fortunate. It's normal for them to come to the surface for a gulp, then head back down - NOT a sign of O2 depletion. Tadpoles are excellent forage and they will help your CC and BC put on some weight.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Can a pond have too many tadpoles - 04/04/10 03:52 AM
If/When you stock your pond with bass, as they get big enough to eat the tadpoles, their numbers will all but disappear...
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Can a pond have too many tadpoles - 04/05/10 06:59 PM
 Originally Posted By: Robinson
Regarding tadpole count, while some may very well beg to differ, the general concensus of these folks is that that you can never have too many tadpoles.

I concur...and can heartily attest that they WILL go (mostly) away as your fish base grows. Had a blue billion the first 2 summers after construction, and although I've still got some massive bullfrogs, I've very few tadpoles, anymore.
© Pond Boss Forum