Pond Boss
Posted By: Rattletrap2 Fathead Minnows...by the Gallon? - 03/31/10 04:01 AM
I was just quoted a price of $100 per US Gallon for Fathead Minnows. Does this seem reasonable? How many minnows would be in a gallon (approximately)?

I would think they were sold by the dozen, or hundred, or even by the pound....but a gallon is a fluid measurement.

Thanks!
Posted By: The Pond Frog Re: Fathead Minnows...by the Gallon? - 03/31/10 05:12 AM
I must admit that is bizarre. I've seen both by the pound and by count. By the gallon? I need a conversion chart for that one. A gallon is what, around 8 pounds?
Posted By: Rainman Re: Fathead Minnows...by the Gallon? - 03/31/10 05:32 AM
Fatheads average $7-$12 US per pound so roughly 8-9 pounds per gallon is reasonable.
Posted By: JKB Re: Fathead Minnows...by the Gallon? - 03/31/10 09:29 AM
For all practical purposes, a gallon of fresh water weighs 8.33 lbs.

A gallon of fatheads will weigh somewhere in the upper 7 lb range. Fatheads sold by the gallon are usually displaced, meaning, how many minnows does it take to displace 1 gallon of water.

They are sold both by the pound and gallon around here. Highest price I have seen around here was 44.00/gallon. Some sell them by the pound, usually between 5.00-7.00/lb retail.

Prices have gone up about 40-50% in the past few years.

100.00/gallon seems a bit steep, that would be about 14.00/lb give or take.

Around here they usually sell fhm in the 250/lb range, being market size.

This was copied from a previous post by EWEST

Posted By: rcooked Re: Fathead Minnows...by the Gallon? - 03/31/10 02:03 PM
I'll be able to hopefully provide a better answer today after Jones fish brings me some minnows. I ordered 5 pounds, and I too have been curious how many minnows to expect.

The last guy I got some off of did them by the gallon, and when I saw the bag of water and minnows, I was not impressed. I'll have a better feel for things later this afternoon. It was a gallon of water for sure, minnows, not so much.

I know Jones is more money, but I am curious to see the quality and reliability of their service compared to the individual I used before.
Posted By: Magnolia Rick Re: Fathead Minnows...by the Gallon? - 03/31/10 02:49 PM
When I get them down here in south Texas a pounds about 300 to 350 medium size. It cost me $10.00 per pound.
just my little 2 cents which is worth .05 cent these days
Posted By: rcooked Re: Fathead Minnows...by the Gallon? - 03/31/10 03:04 PM
"just my little 2 cents which is worth .05 cent these days"

Everything is bigger in Texas I see...

lol
Posted By: Rattletrap2 Re: Fathead Minnows...by the Gallon? - 03/31/10 10:30 PM
Okay, thanks guys!
I e-mailed the supplier up here and this is what he replied with.

His average is 2" fish and there are about 300 per pound or 2,400 per gallon. This goes along with EWests info as well.

He says he uses a pickle jar as a standard. I'm still having a hard time imagining 2,400 x 2" minnows stuffed into a 1 gallon jar....but I guess that's just me! LOL

Unfortunately, I don't think we have many suppliers to choose from up here. He says he sells out with a waiting list.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fathead Minnows...by the Gallon? - 04/01/10 01:23 AM
You'd be amazed at how many of those little guys can fit into a gallon! Take some photos if you do buy them and of them being in a glass pickle jar... I'd love to see 'em!
© Pond Boss Forum