Pond Boss
Posted By: jolson46 Cost of 1/4 acre pond? - 03/20/10 07:47 PM
Hello,
Considering adding a 1/4 acre pond (10 ft deep). Any thoughts on approximate cost from a contractor? Also, what are your thoughts on adding koi to the pond. I'm hoping that would not affect the water clarity adversely. Also, I am in WI. Thoughts on other types of fish would be handy:)
Posted By: Omaha Re: Cost of 1/4 acre pond? - 03/20/10 08:35 PM
Jolson, what are you goals for the pond?
Posted By: jolson46 Re: Cost of 1/4 acre pond? - 03/20/10 08:57 PM
I would like a nice clear, if possible, pond for viewing and bringing in wildlife. I have a small (26x17) koi pond currently
and would really like a large pond.
Posted By: esshup Re: Cost of 1/4 acre pond? - 03/21/10 02:47 AM
A lot will depend on what equipment is used, and how far the spoils have to be moved.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Cost of 1/4 acre pond? - 03/21/10 09:36 AM
There are a lot of variables. Depends on whether you're stopping up a gully, digging a groundwater pond, hauling in clay, etc.
Posted By: Bushhog Re: Cost of 1/4 acre pond? - 03/21/10 11:51 AM
As a former landscaper who built many ornamental ponds I would advise against the Koi unless you get black ones. They are simply too visible for predators. Odds are they will get eaten. Not a 100% sure but....

I am about to build my own pond. I am looking at about 50-60 ft across and about 100 ft long average depth 8-10 ft. in a kidney bean shape. Not sure what the acreage is. I plan on spending $1000-$1500 on equipment but I will be digging it myself.
Ck. the web and get some free estimates.
Good Luck!!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Cost of 1/4 acre pond? - 03/21/10 01:13 PM
I would advise against koi in a soil/clay bottomed bottom for another reason. They are nothing but fancy colored carp and will make your pond a muddy mess in all likelihood. Unless stocked at low numbers and kept that way. Koi often do become bird food, but I wouldn't count on them to manage your pond. Koi tend to evade predators better in bigger ponds as opposed to small plastic formed pond common to backyards.
Posted By: jolson46 Re: Cost of 1/4 acre pond? - 03/21/10 04:48 PM
Thanks for the comments guys:) I would probably do a lined pond.
Actually 100 ft by 50-60 width would be pretty close. 8-10 ft deep. Also, we have a drain field to work around unfortunately.
Any thoughts on other cold water fish as we are in WI.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Cost of 1/4 acre pond? - 03/21/10 04:58 PM
 Originally Posted By: jolson46
Thanks for the comments guys:) I would probably do a lined pond.
Actually 100 ft by 50-60 width would be pretty close. 8-10 ft deep. Also, we have a drain field to work around unfortunately.
Any thoughts on other cold water fish as we are in WI.

Are you sure a pond of that dimension would be 1/4th acre? I have three ponds that are about 90 by 45 and they are only 1/10th acre each.

I had two of them put in side by side for 4 grand.

With a pond that size I would seriously consider a one sex pond as in female only yellow perch or male only bluegills, or hybrid bluegills. Not big enough for many bass of any size.

If you want to run the expense of running a well into it 24/7 in summer, and it has steep sides, you could keep trout year around. I've done that for years although I am taking a break from it for various reasons. Are you sure you need a liner?

Smaller is better with a trout pond as it's easier to keep cool as you don't have to run as much well water into it. Eight feet is all you need if it's steep sided enough.

I've rotated from the back left one to the one that is partially obscured right behind the house for a trout pond.

Posted By: JKB Re: Cost of 1/4 acre pond? - 03/21/10 05:30 PM
 Originally Posted By: Bushhog
As a former landscaper who built many ornamental ponds I would advise against the Koi unless you get black ones. They are simply too visible for predators. Odds are they will get eaten. Not a 100% sure but....

I am about to build my own pond. I am looking at about 50-60 ft across and about 100 ft long average depth 8-10 ft. in a kidney bean shape. Not sure what the acreage is. I plan on spending $1000-$1500 on equipment but I will be digging it myself.
Good Luck!!

My sister has a Koi pond. Custom built with water fall, rapid stream area and two pools. Really nice. (She built it herself)

Anyway, after 11 years a GBH came in and cleaned it out. Not one fish left.

Let us know how your pond progresses.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Cost of 1/4 acre pond? - 03/21/10 06:54 PM
 Originally Posted By: JKB
 Originally Posted By: Bushhog

Good Luck!!

My sister has a Koi pond. Custom built with water fall, rapid stream area and two pools. Really nice. (She built it herself)

Anyway, after 11 years a GBH came in and cleaned it out. Not one fish left.

Let us know how your pond progresses.

JKB,

I think that heron was down here after his meal. He was really heavy and flying close to the ground.
Posted By: esshup Re: Cost of 1/4 acre pond? - 03/21/10 08:25 PM
An acre is 43,560 sq. ft. The ponds that you were describing would only be 5,000 or 6,000 sq. ft. To get to 1/4 ac, the pond needs to be 100' x 108'. Your 100' x 50' would only be slightly less than 1/8 acre.....
Posted By: JKB Re: Cost of 1/4 acre pond? - 03/21/10 09:22 PM
Math, Yuck!!! I have to do that stuff tomorrow! You totally blew a Perfect Sunday
Posted By: esshup Re: Cost of 1/4 acre pond? - 03/22/10 02:01 AM
\:D At least there isn't much left in it!
© Pond Boss Forum