Pond Boss
Posted By: jules Swimming in our pond - 02/01/10 09:23 PM
Hi, my husband and I have a 4 acre spring fed pond on our property. The story of our pond is quite a story as we fixed a broken dam back in July. Maybe when I have time I can post pictures and tell ya'll the story. My question though is swimming. I am wondering if it is ok to let my kiddos swim in it this coming summer? I grew up on a farm but we had cattle so we never swam in our small ponds and we also have many creeks where I am from so we always swam at the creek. I guess I am concerned about the water quality and if it is safe? I wouldn't think it would be any different than Lake Tenkiller or the Baron Fork Creek but I wondered how many of you actually swim in your pond? Thanks for listening and I am guessing there aren't many women on this forum?
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Swimming in our pond - 02/01/10 10:42 PM
Hi Jules and welcome to Pond Boss. Many of us swim in our ponds and have no problems with it what so ever. If you are really concerned about water quality you can have it tested. If you have fish in the pond there are some species that can nip at you but they don't have teeth so it is more startling than anything.

Hang on for more answers and thanks for joining in and posting.

Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: Swimming in our pond - 02/01/10 11:27 PM
Howdy and welcome.

Very unlikely you or kiddos could be harmed in any way by water from a spring fed pond, or even a catchment pond for that matter.

What kink of fish do you have? Small sunfish can be startling and a little annoying, if you're just floating about holding still, but won't cause any harm. The effect depends somewhat on the age and disposition of the kids.

Also, some kids don't like walking through a lot of muck when going in and out of the pond...a load of sand or fine gravel can fix this, or a small dock.
Posted By: RAH Re: Swimming in our pond - 02/01/10 11:29 PM
Most serious danger is drowning. Supervise!
Posted By: Brettski Re: Swimming in our pond - 02/01/10 11:51 PM
We pump the water to use as a shower
(note to myself; get a new keyboard to accommodate this eleventh finger)
Posted By: esshup Re: Swimming in our pond - 02/02/10 12:12 AM
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
We pump the water to use as a shower
(note to myself; get a new keyboard to accommodate this eleventh finger)

And I thought you were only supposed to have eight... ;\)

Jules:

Welcome to PB! I swim in the pond, and I have those sunfish that JHAP and Yolk Sac are talking about and never got nipped once. Cecil had problems last year with swimmers itch, but that's probably because he had a few ducks swimming on the pond.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Swimming in our pond - 02/02/10 01:56 AM
Actually maybe those two particular ducks. I've had ducks before and never had a problem until last summer just after they showed up. If they show up again I'm going to put the fear of God in them. It could be other factors too I am not aware of as in the pond was recently drained and refilled prior to the swimming, no reproduction in the pond other than fathead minnows, and a bad infestation of Sago Pondweed.

I'm gong to eliminate the Sago Pondweed with a herbicide so perhaps that will help this summer. I sure hope so as the wife looks forward to swimming for exercise as she has bad knees.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Swimming in our pond - 02/02/10 02:31 AM
 Quote:
Actually maybe those two particular ducks. I've had ducks before and never had a problem until last summer just after they showed up. If they show up again I'm going to put the fear of God in them. It could be other factors too such that I am not aware of as in the pond was recently drained and refilled prior to the swimming, no reproduction in the pond other than fathead minnows, and a bad infestation of Sago Pondweed.

I'm gong to eliminate the Sago Pondweed with a herbicide so perhaps that will help this summer. I sure hope so as the wife looks forward to swimming for exercise as she has bad knees.

Cecil, you are scaring me
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Swimming in our pond - 02/02/10 02:43 AM
Dwight,

If you really want to be scared take a look at the exotic parasites that have been introduced into the Great Lakes that may end up in our ponds if we're not careful considering birds transport them. I believe there are a least eight of them last I looked. We now have the Asian tapeworm too. Yippee! \:\(
Posted By: Dwight Re: Swimming in our pond - 02/02/10 03:43 PM
Welcome to the forum jules!

We swim in our pond a lot in the summer and share it with the fish and various wild life. We have never experienced any problems of any kind.

We have a few big Northern Pike in our pond (like 38 inches big). Even they don't ever bother us. They live on the Corona Reef in the summer where the water is colder than where we swim.

If you have structure in your pond make sure that swimmers know where it is and stay out of those areas. You may want to consider marking a designated swimming area, with a other areas off limits to swimming.

There are many girls on the forum. It seems they only speak when they have something important to say. Some of the guys are another story being word prolific but content challenged. You know who you are! \:D
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Swimming in our pond - 02/02/10 08:25 PM
We swim in our pond a lot and haven't experienced any problems. I'm sure your health depart. could test your water for you. Our doctor recently told us about a study done by an MD named Katz that placed a test group of young girls in a tub of dye and all of them ended up with dye in their bladders. Something to do with young girls sphincter muscles not fully closing off. My daughter has been swimming in our pond since before her first bithday with no ill effects.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Swimming in our pond - 02/02/10 09:14 PM
Dwight wrote: "Some of the guys are another story being word prolific but content challenged. You know who you are!"

E tu Brute'?
Posted By: Dwight Re: Swimming in our pond - 02/02/10 10:10 PM
The pot is black. \:\)
Posted By: JKB Re: Swimming in our pond - 02/02/10 11:05 PM
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
If they show up again I'm going to put the fear of God in them.

Roasted Duck over an open, hardwood fire is quite good. Makeshift a spicket and rotisserie from three branches, like in the old days, and slowly turn them.

Plucking is an option!

Now I am getting hungry again.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Swimming in our pond - 02/03/10 02:52 AM
 Originally Posted By: jules
Hi, my husband and I have a 4 acre spring fed pond on our property.

My question though is swimming. I am wondering if it is ok to let my kiddos swim in it this coming summer?

... but I wondered how many of you actually swim in your pond?

Thanks for listening and I am guessing there aren't many women on this forum?

Let's start backward on your comments/questions.

We have a number of women on the forum. Pond Boss may not be quite 50/50, but women are very well represented at our conferences. My wife usually gets the mail, and she usually has Pond Boss magazine read from cover to cover before I get to see it. Everyone with an interest in ponds is extremely welcome here.

As for swimming in ponds -- we swim in ours regularly. That includes me, the grandkids, and friends. Growing up in northern Wisconsin/Minnesota lake country, I don't remember learning to talk, walk, ice skate, or swim. They were all just a part of early life. I was nearly 22 years old, and in the U.S. Navy before I ever put a toe into a swimming pool (what an awful experience -- like swimming in a Clorox bottle).

Unless you suspect some awful chemical or biological hazard in your pond, I can only heartily recommend encouraging you and the kids to start swimming in the pond as soon as the water warms. Years from now, your kids will thank you.

Although my wife grew up country, she was close enough to big city life to grow up with swimming pools. Her view of swimming in ponds is a lot like my view of swimming in a swimming pool.

Ken
Posted By: n8ly Re: Swimming in our pond - 02/03/10 05:05 AM
I swim in ponds, lakes, rivers, reservoirs, creeks, bayous, and even out in the open ocean, and let me just say I am more cautious and disgusted by swimming in pools and hot tubs. For some reason fish pee doesnt bother me nearly as much as ...........

Here are some pics of my brother, sisters, and wife to help illustrate:

I think a majority of the posts should have some sort of picture with them!
Posted By: jules Re: Swimming in our pond - 07/03/10 12:17 AM
Thanks for the responses guys & gals! I'm not much of a swimmer myself but my 5yr old daughter has been wading in the pond this summer. The problem is the algea on the top and close to the bank but she doesn't seem to mind that bad. My 2yr old son still is cautious of water as a whole (which I am thankful for since our pond in right next to our house)! Today, my daugher was sittng in the shallow part catching minnows...it was the cutest thing. I think we need to build a dock this fall and also scope out a designated area because we do have alot of structure. We have bass, crappie, perch, a few catfish and carp and I'm not concerned aout the fish...rather snakes and snapping turtles....I would love to see more pictures of swimming areas if anyone can post?
Posted By: Rattletrap2 Re: Swimming in our pond - 07/03/10 04:02 AM
Welcome jules!
We swim in our pond all summer. I had the water tested when we first moved here 3 years ago because I was worried about the proximity to our septic bed and stuff like that. They tested for bacteria levels and e coli just as if it was a public beach. The lab guy told me "ya can drink this stuff. It is cleaner than some folks well water"!
The water temperature fluctuates on the surface between about 68 to 78 degrees all summer and is very clear. I love it! Anything over about 73 and I can stay in there snorkelling for hours!
It is nice to dive deeper and feel the cooler bottom waters as well.

I too would be more concerned about swimming in public pools and hot tubs. That is like swimming in someone else's bathwater! Bring on the fish and frog pee!
Posted By: RAH Re: Swimming in our pond - 07/03/10 10:38 AM
My kids learned to swim in our pond. We know what's in our watershed. Livestock is the greatest risk for contaminated water. Drowing is a serious risk, and with merky water, you need to keep an eye on the kids. Our are now 14 and 16, so less of a worry, but we always supervise the swimming. BG will nip, but our son and daughter are tough and such little things don't bother them. Although, we teased my son that he might have to wear a girls bathing suit after he got both of his nipples bit.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Swimming in our pond - 07/03/10 12:15 PM
Hi Jules, I want to add my positive vote for swimming in your pond. My family swims in ours nearly everyday. Yes, the fish can be somewhat... curious, but, as others have said, it's no big deal. Go for it!
Posted By: Clayton Re: Swimming in our pond - 07/03/10 02:55 PM
We swim in our pond. Our kids are 2 and 7 and we keep a close eye on them. I do not let the 2 year old in unless I am in the water with her. The eldest wears a life vest unless I am in the water with her, too. We have lots of springs that keeps our pond filled and chilled throughout the summer. We are very fortunate to have such a good swimming hole. Other ponds I help take care of are not so appealing for a quick dip. Ours is a perfect balance of fish/play (maybe more on the side of play.)

We do have livestock (2 horses) that drink and cool down in the pond, but the BOW is 2 acres and I have never had any test results show me that the 2 equines are doing anything determintal to overall pond water quality. The run off from their poop is not much of a concern since the horses have 15 acres or so to use as their toilet.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Swimming in our pond - 07/03/10 03:13 PM
We put a lot of structure in our pond that is just under the surface like rock oiles and huge tree root balls.....these areas are fun for my older kids to swim and play around since they know EXACTLY where they are and there is a large area that is devoid of hidden dangers and has a smooth firm bottom for swimming, diving, entering and exiting..

Your water is fine...jump on in!!!!

And welcome to Pond Boss Jules!!!
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Swimming in our pond - 07/06/10 02:39 PM
Brothers and I grew up swimming in just about every pond we fished...and that was most within 5 miles. My daughters...some but more since I put in the docks.

However, one daughter just told me about them taking my grand daughter swimming in the lake near their home...bluegill tried to yank out daughter's belly-button ring. She was holding the granddaughter and watched that little gill try his darnedest. No harm done, and funny to her!
© Pond Boss Forum