Pond Boss
Posted By: RobA Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/15/09 02:16 AM
Visited the pond today and found these on the dock....

What would prey on crayfish and eat them on my dock? Raccoon? Birds?
Posted By: n8ly Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/15/09 03:22 AM
Me, especially with a good cajun seasoning!
Posted By: esshup Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/15/09 03:25 AM
Mink or Otter will eat crayfish.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/15/09 03:26 AM
Racoons, Herons, Nate
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/15/09 03:52 AM
I've got some small birds (size of robin or blue jay) that we call "kingfisher" that eats morsels like that, and likes to leaves the evidence on the dock to taunt me.
Posted By: esshup Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/15/09 04:04 AM
Look something like this?

Belted Kingfisher

The ones that I've seen dive for their food. I don't know how adept they are at picking something up off the bottom without breaking their necks.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/15/09 04:24 AM
That's it. They make a load noise and seem to be mocking me - could it be because they catch more fish than I do?
Posted By: esshup Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/15/09 04:27 AM
Maybe, but I'll bet the fish that you catch are bigger than theirs!
Posted By: Al Davison Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/15/09 04:33 AM
I've got a kingfisher at my pond and I really enjoy it. I'm told (this might be wrong) that they are very territorial so it's unlikely that you have more than one - and it's almost certainly a female - that is "ruling" your pond.

So, they can't be eating all that much. And they mostly just eat small fish. Some websites I've looked at say they eat only fish.

Around here, racoons love to dine on crawfish.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/15/09 04:22 PM
My money is on a racoon leaving the evidence behind. However, mink are also crayfish eaters and could be the culprit. There are other species that eat crayfish, but I doubt they would leave evidence of their meal like that.
Posted By: Sgt911 Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/15/09 04:30 PM
I watched a Redtail Hawk swoop down and grab a Crawfish off the bank...I guess you can add them to the list.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/15/09 04:53 PM
Now that would be interesting to document... A hawk eating a crawdad!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/15/09 04:59 PM
 Originally Posted By: Al Davison
I've got a kingfisher at my pond and I really enjoy it. I'm told (this might be wrong) that they are very territorial so it's unlikely that you have more than one - and it's almost certainly a female - that is "ruling" your pond.

So, they can't be eating all that much. And they mostly just eat small fish. Some websites I've looked at say they eat only fish.

Around here, racoons love to dine on crawfish.

But they are part of a parasite cycle (black grubs that appear as black spots) and for that reason I don't want them with my high value fish.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/15/09 05:00 PM
I'm convinced five star moles eat crayfish too. I have mole holes everywhere there are crayfish holes (terrestrial). The five star mole swim in water and eats aquatic creatures too.

My money is on racoons at your pond though.
Posted By: RobA Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/16/09 12:02 AM
Raccoons: that was my 1st guess, I'm OK with them
Kingfishers: I've got them, I'm OK with them
Redtail hawks: loads of them around, OK with them too
5 star moles: not sure I have them, not sure I'm OK with them
Great blue herons: got them too, I'm OK with them
Nate: don't know him, seems like a nice guy, I'm OK with him

Mink or otter: no evidence of them, good God I hope I don't have either of them!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/16/09 02:54 AM
The PGC stocked otters in the lower Susq, so they are a possibility. Mink will eat fish, but aren't nearly as bad as otters...
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/16/09 03:32 AM
I had 3 kingfishers @ my pond after I stocked my 2 - 3" RE. I have an 80+ ft bridge across my pond & you could not touch the railing anywhere without touching fish scales. Now these were the initial stocking .. I paid for every fish they ate. I should have figured that into the initial stocking numbers but .. I was too dumb to know. I alow kingfishers now but begrudgingly.
My guess on the critter not cleaning his plate .. Coon, they always leave the pinchers behind.
Posted By: ewest Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/16/09 02:33 PM
Any sign of a slide on the bank or dam ? If not my 2 cents is coons. My gut says otters.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/17/09 01:57 AM
Out of respect for ewest's gut .. I would look very close for signs of an otter!!! If an otter is in your pond you want him out ASAP!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/17/09 02:01 AM
Absolutely.

Posted By: RobA Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/17/09 01:05 PM
This is not good. I'll have to look closer for otter evidence. Aside from slides and scat are there any other telltale signs? I have never seen a fish skeleton lying around. Are their dens easy to find?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/17/09 02:58 PM
Just guessing here, but those two pieces of crawdaddy pictured contain some edible meat.

I wonder why they were left behind. Maybe the animal in question was scared off before it could finish the meal.

Raccoons eat crawfish all the time.
Posted By: RobA Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/17/09 03:08 PM
It would be great if it were a raccoon. I'm surprised any animal would leave the claws behind. If they are going to chew the bodies why not the claws?

I'll be an absentee owner for 2 more years.... maybe this is a good reason (excuse) to buy an IR game camera to figure this out!
I always find claws at our cabin and thought it was from the birds eating them in the shallows of our beach. I find bits of claws and shells in the turds of the huge mink we have running around so they eat all of it. Same with the otters that are around.
My bet is a bird of some sort, I strongly believe that the mammals listed are used to eating things as tough as these claws. whether it's a tern, gull, kingfisher or heron depends on where you are. my 0.02
Posted By: RobA Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/17/09 03:37 PM
I never thought of terns or gulls. I see them occasionally and since my pond is less than 20 miles from the Susquehanna River and the Chesapeake Bay there are lots in the area. Kingfishers and various herons are always around too.
Posted By: esshup Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/17/09 04:38 PM
The thing about birds is that they don't chew their prey, they normally swallow it whole. Yeah, I know, there are a number of exceptions. ;\)

An old girlfriend re-habbed raptors, and even the tiny screech owls will eat a full grown house mouse whole. One Red-Tailed Hawk she had would eat a dozen at one feeding.

Anyway, maybe the tastier/easier to chew parts were the body of the crawfish and the predator thought the claws were more work to chew open that they were worth? Or it was a smaller predator (small mink or 'coon [YOY])and lacked the jaw strength to crack open the claws?
I grew up with 3 brothers so I know exactly how hard they can pinch, maybe the claws get left simply because they(whatever it is) are trying to avoid them while eating the crawfish?
I have a special place in my heart for raptors, try saying "full grown full grown house mouse whole" 5 times fast ;\)
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/17/09 05:24 PM
Look for scat with scales in it...most likely otter.
Posted By: bobad Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/18/09 01:44 PM
Blackbirds (common grackles)eat crawfish. They wade out into the water, tiptoeing daintily to keep their feathers dry. They haul them out onto the bank and eat them, leaving the shells behind.

Bullfrogs and crawfish snakes eat them too, but don't leave any parts behind.
Can't be Cajuns. They would have eaten the claws.
 Originally Posted By: bobad
Blackbirds (common grackles)eat crawfish. They wade out into the water, tiptoeing daintily to keep their feathers dry. They haul them out onto the bank and eat them, leaving the shells behind.

Bullfrogs and crawfish snakes eat them too, but don't leave any parts behind.

OK, I'll bite. What is a crawfish snake?
Posted By: Rob Cater Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/19/09 11:37 PM
Barred owles are another choice. They feed on the large crayfish as they migerate in the wet grass in the late spring. I often find the pinchers left behind under a common owl perch in the yard. They set there often and are easy to watch as I have lots of lights around the pond at night
Posted By: Sunil Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/20/09 01:44 AM
Welcome to Pond Boss, Rob Cater.
Posted By: RobA Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 11/20/09 01:56 AM
 Originally Posted By: Rob Cater
Barred owles are another choice. They feed on the large crayfish as they migerate in the wet grass in the late spring. I often find the pinchers left behind under a common owl perch in the yard. They set there often and are easy to watch as I have lots of lights around the pond at night

That's interesting. I knew I had at least 1 owl on my property. It wasn't until last year that I was able to see him and figure out it was a barred owl. Maybe it was him.

I have to say this is 1 time I am hoping Lusk and the other experts are wrong and it's not an otter.

Oh yea, welcome to PB Rob Cater
Posted By: RER Re: Aside from fish what eats crayfish? - 02/18/16 06:43 PM
I saw an owl swoop down and crab crawfish from the pond last night. I had seen claws around but thought it might be cats or raccoons. But now I think its is an owl.
© Pond Boss Forum